4.0 out of 5 stars Great combo-bag
I really enjoy this bag. I've had it now for over six months, I use it for work daily, sometimes for photography, and even on a vacation. I purchased it primarily because it was both a real photography bag and in addition a normal day to day backpack.

Good:
- Holds a 17 inch widescreen laptop
- Holds my SLR and two additional lenses
- Well...
Published on July 30, 2011 by James G.

3.0 out of 5 stars could be improved
Published 5 months ago by Smork

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great combo-bag, July 30, 2011

Good:
- Holds a 17 inch widescreen laptop
- Holds my SLR and two additional lenses
- Well constructed
- Extremely comfortable straps
- Large chest strap is removable (has concealed Velcro)
- Two large side pockets and two side "quick access" pockets are very convenient
- Top zip pocket (above top compartment) is almost hidden and offers more storage then you'd expect
- No chance of spilling any content when opened with the bag vertical
- Water bounces off of it
- Wall splitting bottom and top compartments is removable

Bad:
- The bag has this mesh stuff on the back padding which feels like a cheese grater as it rides up and down your back (fine with a jacket on, but painful after wearing just a t-shirt for several hours)
- The side pockets have this wire mesh within them, so when you dig your hand in to dig stuff out which is at the bottom of the pockets (e.g. coins, memory cards) you pull your hand out and it is bright red from brushing against this stuff. Really offers little benefit being there too, as it only exists so you can have three compartments in the side pockets rather than two (and the third is so tiny and inaccessible that it is almost useless).
- No "real" rain hood.

I'd give this bag a 4.5/5. I'd buy another Tenba. To be honest if they fixed the side pockets so they didn't have the wire mesh within them (which is a huge design flaw) I'd be very pleased. The rain hood and back-mesh issues I can live with (as I said, clothing choice can mitigate one, and you can purchase after-market rain hoods)...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great travel backpack, August 3, 2010
Martine (Monterey, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I looked at several similar camera/laptop/personal gear backpacks and this is by far the best. It's comfortable, unobtrusive and small enough to fit under the seat of even the smallest commuter plane, yet holds an amazing amount. In the camera section, I can fit a pro DSLR with 28-105 lens attached, 70-200 F2.8, 17-35 wide-angle, and battery charger. In the other compartments, I currently have a small laptop, Kindle DX, GPS, packable rain jacket, toiletries, various memory cards, a snack, and a paperback guidebook, and there's still a little room to spare. It's a great investment and a real bargain at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far The Best Bag, February 23, 2010
This is by far the best bag I had ever bought and it din't broke the bank either. Before ordering this one I ordered a Booq but i return it as the price wasn't in pair for what I got.

This one in the other hand it only cost me $140 here on Amazon and is a solid bag. Its big it has lots of pocket and it just feels strong.

Zippers open and close with no issues I can fit my Macbook Pro 13" with a Be.Ez Sleeve. A Canon Xsi a 18-55 lens and a 70-200 lens. I also have space for charges, cables, usbs, ipod, Kodak Mini Camcorder a spare T-Shirt some snacks and some room to spare.

This is a most buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love it.., October 10, 2010
This review is from: Tenba 638-294 Messenger Photo Daypack (Orange) (Electronics)
I was about to travel on vacation so i wanted a good backpack to carry all my stuff,a 15 inch Macbook Pro my Mobile phone , Camera, Charger, Passport & documents etc... and a close friend recommended Tenba to me so i purchased the Tenba Messenger Daypack (Orange)my laptop fits 100% and the bag has many pockets to accommodate all my stuff and and its very comfortable to ware even with long walks in streets, malls, airports, i even remember i was walking in the street and it was raining hard and i was afraid that i will lose my laptop but when i opened my back not a single drop of water went inside! if you are like me and want the best backpack money can buy then the Tenba is for you...

Good Luck :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Multipurpose Photo Bag, March 2, 2014
tbean "tbean" (New Hope, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I am very pleased with this bag. I bought it to use as a personal carry on for my camera, lenses, binoculars, and what ever accessories would fit. I used it in conjunction with an IT suitcase in order to meet strict LAN airlines carry on requirements. With careful adjustments and using all the straps I was able to easily carry close to 20 lbs. (including the bag), and I am a 60-something year old woman. I was amazed at the amount of gear that fit into all those nooks and crannies.

I bought a light weight packable day pack to use when hiking on my trip but lost it on my first night. The Tenba bag happily carried lunch, jackets, extra lenses, water and whatever else I needed during day hikes, and, while heavier, did it much more comfortably than the packable day pack would have done. The extra pockets and compartments were invaluable as I moved from place to place: once I settled on locations for cards, chargers, filters, granola bars, etc. it was much easier to keep organized.

The bag received some heavy use and is none the worse for the wear. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars could be improved, February 14, 2014
As a working documentary photog, I tote all my gear from shoot to shoot in a roller case, so I got this to use while working light, often carrying my DSLR around my neck and putting my flash, extra lenses and accessories in the daypack. It has been ok to work with, good laptop space, durable so far and doesnt look like a camera bag. But there is clearly room for improvement:

straps on lower compartment make opening it a slow, inconvenient two-step access process.

too many pockets, if that is possible, tending more busy, tight and fussy than practical. would prefer fewer and better designed pocket.

the organizer pockets and slots in the top compartment next to the laptop area are shallow and poor. if the bag is not upright, things fall out easily and messily (and sometimes out of the bag entirely, as the drawstring leaves an open gap). why not even have decent pen slots?

drawstring sticks to and gets abraded by the top flap velcro.

the stabilizer straps on top of the padded shoulder straps offer an negligible range of practical adjustment.

the pop-out drawer lower compartment can get be awkward to use depending on the gear you want to put in it.

A 6.5/10 on the comfort scale, even when just carrying macbook without any camera gear at all.

I realize the stealth aspect requires some compromises, but most of these issues don't require impossible fixes. I'd be curious to see a version 2.0 that could iron out the kinks.

Overall I rate it as above average, mostly for the form rather than the function. Ive been shooting for 25 years, have owned lowepro, thinktank, kata, lightware and crumpler in addition to previous tenba models for comparison.

(for what it is worth - I originally tried to post this review on the Tenba website. it has not appeared there yet)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, June 23, 2013
Bought this bag back in 2010 and this is buy far the most secure and sturdy backpack I have ever owned. After a good amount of use it still looks brand new, coincidentally this is also why I'm giving it 4 stars. My personal preference is I want to have the bag have some wear and tear eventually, a bag that can tell the stories about where it's been. War stories I guess you could say. Horrible reason to take it down a star but hey it's my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Daypack, July 5, 2012
Amazon Customer (Kennesaw, GA, US) - See all my reviews
I own a standard camera bag and have been wanting to get a backpack style bag. After much research online, I found this bag. I have a Canon 20D, 3 lenses, flash, and other cables. I was able to load this bag with my laptop (17"), powercords, Camera, 3 lenses, flash, video camera, kindle fire and a few other items and still had room! I was very impressed with the ease of getting my camera out when it still had the 70-300 zoom lens attached. I also like the idea that it doesn't scream "camera bag" because when it was fully loaded it had close to $4000 worth of electronics and camera gear. Even fully loaded, I was able to carry this much gear without too much trouble. Would purchase it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great backpack for work and travel..., October 22, 2011
I have been looking a backpack that I can hold a small laptop, an ipad, and camera equipment. The messenger photo daypack was able to meet this. I was able to stow a 12 inch laptop in laptop slot, an ipad in the top slot along with misc gear, and a canon 7D with a couple of lenses in the padded section in the front. The backpack was very comfortable to carry in the airport while traveling. It also fit under the seat in front of me on the airplane.

I also use this pack as my daily bag for work. I like all of the compartments and fits all my gear. Much more efficient use of space than my previous HP laptop backpack. I would definitely recommend this bag. I will be taking it to Europe in a couple of weeks, but I expect that it continues to live up to expectations.

UPDATE.
I took this pack on a trip to Europe. I was able to stow a Canon 7D with 2 lenses, a 12" laptop, an ipad, and some misc gear with out issue. The pack lived up to my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Camera Bag...For Me., May 14, 2011
Professional and amateur photographers alike will know the never-ending search that is trying to find the perfect camera bag. Most of us end up compromising on some aspect--design, functionality, space, etc.

The Tenba 638-292 Messenger bag has turned out to be the perfect bag...for me. I say "for me," because it may not be nearly as good for others depending on your requirements.

My requirements were:
1) I am a professional photographer and need a bag that will hold my 17" Macbook Pro, 2 rangefinder camera bodies, 3 lenses, a flash, an external hard drive, a notepad and tape recorder, and a whole mess of extra batteries and accessories;

2) It had to be comfortable. This is not my "shooting bag"--there is no way I'm hauling around my laptop when I'm actually on a shoot. However, this is my "I-need-to-carry-everything-around-with-me-in-one-place-for-the-day-bag" and also my carry on bag for flying. Before the Tenba, I used a messenger bag that was not only killing my back but didn't even hold my laptop so I had to carry that separately. This backpack is super comfortable and has great padding and back support;

3) It had to look reasonably "not-like-a-camera-bag" and I think it does that fairly well. I even like the color (got the olive one).

In sum:

Likes: Holds everything that I need on a daily basis in one spot. Holds my 17" inch Macbook Pro perfectly. Great back support, rugged, built well. Looks good.

Dislikes: Not really an issue for me but those of you with big DSLRs and large glass are going to be hard pressed to fit your gear in the bottom camera compartment. I'd guess a D700/5D Mk2 and 24-70 might fit (w/o lens hood) and maybe you could squeeze another small lens or flash in the bottom. Again, I don't own any of that so I'm just speculating. My rangefinder cameras and lenses are much smaller so I fit two camera bodies and three lenses in the bottom which fits snugly.

Verdict: If your gear fits and you are looking for a backpack that holds camera gear and a laptop then I suspect you'll find your "perfect" bag in the Tenba messenger as well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›