5.0 out of 5 stars Great
I have tried both Medela & Lansinoh lanolin ointments and find the Medela much easier to apply. The Medela is a yellow thinner ointment so it's easy to squeeze out of the tube and apply, while the Lansinoh is clear but very thick and almost impossible to squeeze out and spread evenly.
Published on January 19, 2009 by M. Tran

1.0 out of 5 stars Causes a rancid smell...............
Published on September 17, 2010 by Trinity

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, January 19, 2009

1.0 out of 5 stars Causes a rancid smell..............., September 17, 2010
Trinity (Savannah, GA) - See all my reviews
I was amazed! This product applied super easy (compared to Lansinoh Lanolin) and made my irritated nipples feel better in no time. Absolutely great. Couldn't have asked for more. However after about 3 days into using this product I started noticing the smell of something rancid like spoiled milk or spit up. I kept checking my daughter, thinking that she'd had some spit up and that the smell might come from her clothing or her bib. No matter how often I sniffed on her I just simply couldn't find the cause for this horrible smell. And I was so sure I could smell it.
Within the next two days the nasty smell kept intensifying. I would now constantly smell it which was sickening and nauseating. On the 6th day I noticed just that smell coming from myself (the breast area to be specific). I had not worn a bra and pad all morning so I had a little bit of leakage on my shirt. I went to change clothing and when I pulled the shirt over my head I started gagging immediately. The Medela Tender Care Lanolin in combination with the smallest drop of breastmilk causes the rancid smell. Never in my life would I have thought that it could come from myself as I am cleaning my nipples after every pumping or nursing. I immediately stopped using Tender Care Lanolin and it still took about two more days for the smell to fade away.
Also I noticed that my daughter is latching a lot better now. But thinking of it I wouldn't want to eat neither if I had to put up with this horrid smell in my face during feedings!
I would definitely give it a 5 star rating if it wasn't for that nasty side effect. Instead I have to give it a 1 star rating as it affected my daughters feeding in a negative way.

2.0 out of 5 stars Contains c8/c10 which is fat!!!, July 16, 2010
I got a small sample from the LC and it worked great. I like the smooth silky application which is great in cold weathers. But when I bought a tube of it, I notice a funky smell. I study the ingredients and saw it included C8/C10 Triglycerides which is goat milk oil, palm oil or coconut oil. The goat milk oil gives it s rancid smell which made me and my baby gag! So I only use it for pumping! I would recommend Lansinoh for breastfeeding since it really is 100% pure. Just warm it up by rubbing it between you thumb and finger or in warm water. Also I apply the excess on my lips so I know what it baby is tasting too! Lansinoh does work as a all natural lip balm!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me the first three weeks of BFing!, March 19, 2011
LaurenMarie (CA United States) - See all my reviews
I was given the Lansinoh brand of nipple cream in the hospital and it hurt to put on because it was so thick (like wax!). I got the Medela brand at my baby shower but forgot it at home. When I got home and was able to use it, what a difference! It goes on so smoothly and really helped to keep me from getting chapped. I buy this for all my prego friends and family now.

Tip: Swipe it in the nipple shield of your breast pump right where it starts to narrow to make the suction motion smoother on you. The lactation consultant at the hospital showed me that!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best there is go on smooth not tacky at all, May 31, 2008
This stuff is great, it's so smooth and not tacky/sticky/thick like all the others out there so it goes on perfectly. I love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Smell !!!, December 3, 2010
I have used both Medela Tender Care and Lansinoh Lanolin and, although Medela is easier to apply, it leaves a horribly rancid smell! It literally made my baby and myself gag. Gross! There was absolutely no smell left over from the Lansinoh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great consistency., May 10, 2009
J. Hyde (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I love the consistency of this product. It comes out easily from the tube and when you apply it to the nipple it reacts and gets more liquid so it is easier to apply. This is important for nipples that are already sore. I recommend getting this tube of miracle gel. It contains ample product so you don't have to worry about running out too soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great but Does Smell Funky, February 16, 2011
J. Louie (Mountain View, CA) - See all my reviews
Pros:
- Moisturizing
- Works quickly
- Glides on smoothly

Cons:
- Funky smell

I got a bunch of samples from the hospital. The smell really bugged me at first. I don't know what it's from but according to a previous reviewer, it's from the lanolin (aka "goat oil" or wool wax -- [...] So I guess no matter which brand of lanolin you get, it's going to smell funky. I also learned about Lansinoh's lanolin but heard it has a different consistency. I like the consistency of the Medela Tender Care Lanolin. It's like the consistency of lip gloss (those in a tub) so application was very easy and it's not runny. I don't like the funky smell but it's tolerable (for me at least) and it doesn't bother my baby. I stuck with this instead of experimenting because it does work really well. Usually after a few hours, the soreness and dryness would be gone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sample size, May 7, 2011
This review is from: Tender Care Lanolin - 0.3oz Small Travel Size Tube - (About the same size as a container of lip balm) (Health and Beauty)
I order this product, which I love but didn't realize I was pretty much ordering a sample size (0.3 oz)for almost the price of a regular size...

5.0 out of 5 stars great as baby lotion and diaper rash cream too!, April 5, 2011
This lanolin cream is soft and easy to spread, unlike the other brand. It is good for the breasts for breastfeeding, but it has other uses too. I use it on my baby's raw parts when he has diaper rash and it clears it up quickly, without making it too dry. Plus, I use it on my baby's face checks when they are dry and it works great here too. I figure, if it's safe enough for a baby to get in his mouth, it is safe enough to apply on his face (without the chemicals usually in lotion).