5.0 out of 5 stars Lush
Published 23 months ago by Michael Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Promise
I bought this album after Shazam-ing songs off of it a couple of times on the local college station. While I did enjoy it, I don't often find myself searching it out to play it.
Published 4 months ago by Jenna H Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Lush, October 26, 2012
This review is from: Tender New Signs (MP3 Music)
Lush atmospheric landscapes with barely discernable lyrics-lazy, dreamy, dark and prismatic-colors explode at midnight, like fireworks on the 4th of July, blossoming like fragrant flowers in an emerald forest, sometime in early summer. Wildflowers distant, lightning and thunder fade. The night is pristine, streetlight reflections interupt sleep, love decays and spirals, flowering like a lotus, worshiped like an ancient god, somewhere at the intersection of dawn and twilight. Everything fades, iridiscent, decaying in a halflife. Worlds away, afternoon light penetrates a bedroom, somewhere in San Francisco or New York. Leaving us with nothing but bliss, and tender new signs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tamaryn add some crunch to their dreamy shoegaze, and to good effect, October 16, 2012
Jack Tripper (Northwest Indiana/Chicagoland area) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tender New Signs (Audio CD)
Or maybe I should call it "skygaze," as Tamaryn would have us refer to their sound. On 'Tender New Signs,' the band continues in the direction established on their previous album, 2010's 'The Waves,' combining all the dreamiest aspects of early 90's British shoegaze, especially the shimmering, bending guitars and ethereal female vocals of My Bloody Valentine's 'Loveless' and Slowdive's 'Soulvaki,' while still somehow sounding totally fresh and modern.

But whereas their last album's walls of hazy guitars were straight-up WALLS, with no telling where one note ended and the next began, on 'Tender New Signs' the band adds a bit of "oomph" to them, with actual discernible riffs (and vocals), as on the lush "While You're Sleeping (I'm Dreaming)," which layers spacey lead guitar noodling over the fast-tempoed and catchy main hook, snaking it's way all around the dreamy soundscape. It's all pretty immersive, a quality that's sustained throughout the album's entire length.

The languid, floating "No Exits" contains druggy vocals over tripped-out guitar atmospherics, and is extremely hypnotic, as is the celestial, Cocteau Twins-vibe of both "Transcendent Blue" and the closer "Violets in a Pool," capping off 40 minutes of mostly sublime bliss. The only slight negative for me is that, despite the more crunching guitars this time around, the overall serene vibe never really lets up, resulting in an album that can get a bit "samey" when experienced straight through, but it does make for great late night headphone journeys.

'Tender New Signs' shows Tamaryn doing what they do best: taking the listener on a euphoric, hallucinatory trip, and it's one of the best modern shoegaze albums in recent memory, imo, and absolutely essential for fans of the genre. I, for one, will certainly be following them, wherever they choose to go from here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling stressed out/ really tense and wound up.....then just hit play and relax, July 12, 2013
This review is from: Tender New Signs (Audio CD)
When you get home and you feel like you are as tight as a drumhead emotionally......just play- what I call #mindpharma music from so many great indie bands! There has been a tremendous resurgence in what was once known as the 90's shoe gazer genre. It has evolved to the point where you can easily lose an hour or two IF you just close your eyes ....and relax your mind and body. Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.....then listen! On twitter follow me and I will follow back ( @CU2MRO) as I and a bunch of others are all discovering new bands, s/s'rs, etc. ENJOY!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Promise, May 4, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, April 8, 2014
This review is from: Tender New Signs (Audio CD)
Not quite as dreamy and psychedelic as Waves, but a great record nonetheless. Waves may be her epic release. Go get both.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing album from beginning to end, January 24, 2014
This review is from: Tender New Signs (MP3 Music)
i love this entire album! both tamaryn albums are staples in my collection. dreamy, airy vocals, smoky, love everything about them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, June 18, 2013
This review is from: Tender New Signs (Audio CD)
One of the bands that I listened to in the 90s was Mazzy Star. It has been awhile since I heard anything like them. And then whilst watching The Following (with Kevin Bacon) I caught Violet in the Pool ... and was hooked. Needless to say, did not disappoint. Sort of like Mazzy Star meets Julee Cruise (you know, the chick that sung the soundtrack to Twin Peaks). One of the few albums I've bought that was made in the 21st century. Aye, it is really dire out there in the North American musicscape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop Dream Fest!, May 4, 2013
This review is from: Tender New Signs (Vinyl)
I was eager to buy this vinyl after hearing this amazing band live last week. I'd never heard of them but within a couple of songs my eyes and ears were in love with the songs and sounds and visuals coming from the stage. Captivated might be more like it. This record doesn't disappoint. Not sure what genre exactly this would go in but for some sort of description I'd consider a modern melodic mix of Mazzy Star (faster paced) and My Bloody Valentine (not as noisy). Not for everyone's tastes for sure, but then again most of the great stuff isn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the realm of Tamaryn finnally discovered? Here's my darn review..., April 10, 2013
This review is from: Tender New Signs (Audio CD)
After initially reading a review in the December 2012 issue of Under the Radar, I searched this band out over on the 'net and was immediatley taken by their sound after listening to the mp3 samples on this site (eschewing all obsession regarding 'shoegaze' genre tags). I would think that *Tender New Signs* is Tamaryn's worldly musical expression like how a solo artist is percieved. But after buying the cd and listening through it felt like the sound was more defined by the guitar work of Rex Shelverton and less of the vocals, less of the listener's focus on the singer (bass/percussion are sorta in the background). So as I keep listening, it is more of a guitar-driven record. The vocals do aid wonderfully the fluidity of the guitar layerings and this record is very mature in how the fluctuations of the moods expressed were chosen to be ordered track by track on the final format. I 'sense' but could be wrong, that early-mid 80's era Dead Can Dance was an influence more so regarding the sort of aesthetical-maturity that *Tender New Signs* brings itself out as...Which I feel like the songs all together on this disc have a quality of an 'atmospheric-marriage' achieved. Visually in my 'neuro-subjective-psyche' is a muddy, chic-urban like landscape with hardly anyone around and their is a beautiful but mysterious feminine presence that my peripheral-vision seems to detect but can sometimes get a full frontal view of too but is then gone...

5.0 out of 5 stars Shoe gazer lives on..., March 25, 2013
This review is from: Tender New Signs (MP3 Music)
If you dig Lush's earlier works, you'll love Tamaryn's newest. All of the twangy, etherial, echo-y bells and whistles you'd expect from this genre.

Tender New Signs
Tender New Signs by Tamaryn (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies