Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tenmat FF130-E Draft Stop Covers for Recessed Lighting
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 9, 2012
I added insulation to our attic to try to reduce our gas bill. We had some non-IC can lights which needed covering. Most of them I covered with Insullite boxes, because they're cheaper. But where the cans were harder to cover due to cramped space/difficult access I used these. They are much easier to work with. They're soft and moldable, but stiff enough to not collapse. They are surprisingly easy to cut with scissors for fitting around wires, etc. and maintain their overall shape. In other words, the cut areas sprang back together even when the Tenmat cover was squished a little. I'm a little concerned because at 9" high, they are only 2" over the can lights, which are 7" tall. But I've got CFLs in everything, so I don't think we're generating much heat. And you might want to know that metal foil tape does not adhere to these very well. But the Tenmat covers stay in place pretty well on their own.
on July 19, 2010
We recently had an energy audit done on our home. To our amazement, when the pressure system was put in a doorway and turned on we could feel air flowing on our faces from our recessed lights! It was recommended we cover all 26 of our lights in the attic with something. We researched on line, found these covers and ordered them thru Amazon. Once they were installed and our home was retested we no longer felt any air leak and better yet, we received a check to help cover the cost.
on December 12, 2011
The covers arrived very quickly. They look like a lampshade and were larger than I thought they would be - 15" diameter at the bottom and 11" at the top. The covers do need to be large but getting them to fit in some stud spaces can be challenging. Fortunately, they are flexible and cut easily. I sealed up any cuts with metallic duct tape and sealed around the bottom with non-expanding foam. That should stop air infiltration. Then I covered them with fiberglass insulation. Worked well for covering my non-IC cans - but I had to work at it because of the can locations. My ceiling is not cold even when the outside air temp is just above zero.
on April 24, 2012
I had 4 inch Non-IC recessed cans I needed to insulate from attic. Although the Amazon description provides dimensions, there is nothing like having one in hand to size up the installation. I needed a total of 4, but ordered just one first to test fit. This is much bigger than I thought and am glad they are. This model cover fits nicely over my 4 inch cans with enough room to satisfy the safety requirements as spelled out in the installation sheet that came in the box. These covers are not strong enough to support any weight but themselves (plan on rerouting or supporting any flex duct that is in direct path), which makes them easy to install since they are flexible enough to lay over Romex 14/2 wiring without having to cut out a gap. I easily placed the cover over the entire can and wiring(making sure the wiring was snug against the wallboard) and the cover contoured nicely allowing the mastic to cover and secure the cover seams without protest. The cover pretty much stayed where put and even more so when I applied the mastic.
on April 30, 2014
The tenmat cover is made out of rockwool. So the woven material the product is made out is NOT airtight. This product will slow down the air loss from your house but it will not stop it. I ordered 10 of these and noticed I could blow air through the material it is made out of.

I wanted to use this product to help seal my home up a bit. Unfortunately I found this product is NOT a moisture/air barrier, and it will pass air/moisture from your house through it.

Also if you do not insulate it well it could possibly ice up if you live in an area where your attic will get down below freezing.

I called the manufacturer and they confirmed that the product will indeed bypass air through it. As well they had no testing numbers to show me what kind of airloss/bypass the product has.

I'm going to return the product and use something that will be a true air/moisture barrier. Do it once, and do it right...

So yes, tenmat will improve your air loss. And but it will not stop it. Anyone thinking foaming this product in makes it "airtight" is mistaken. Like I said I'd also be concerned about the moisture loss through it in very cold climates.

I found you can get ICAT (air tite) replacement fixtures for 1/2 of the price of the tenmat.
55 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2011
Bought these for our attic as we were adding more insulation. They arrived within a few days, and the installation was very easy. The size offered made sense and worked well for us. They are constructed of a material that can be manipulated such as cutting them shorter, cut into the sides to make way for the wiring harnesses associated with the lights, etc. This is a very important factor when up in the tight spaces like an attic. I used household scissors to manipulate these light covers. We will purchase more as I continue to increase our attic insulation. Hope this helps.
on October 2, 2014
These things are an amazing solution to prevent heat loss from unsealed recessed lighting cans.

Now before you start staring wishfully at your ceiling you should appreciate that the ceiling needs to be removed and you must have sufficient joist depth above the cans.

In my case I have 18" bar joists and was replacing an entire plasterboard ceiling that had been damaged by a leaky roof. These light covers meant I didn't have to replace a half dozen Halo cans to reinstall a tight well insulated ceiling.

These covers install remarkably easily. They can be seriously distorted to squash them through tight spaces and still count on them springing open to surround the can -- almost like a thick felt hat The covers are very hard to tear but lend themselves easily to the necessary notching or slitting with a sharp knife.

Apart from needing sufficient space over the cans to fit the cover in, there are a few limitations that might interest you:

1. These covers retain heat so ditch the filament light bulbs in favor of CFL or LED -- or you run the risk of melting wiring in the can.

2. Wear eye protection -- preferably goggles. While it's never fun working around insulation, these things seem to shed a fine dust that's a particularly nasty eye irritant. It got behind my conventional safety glasses. Things went smoothly once I washed my eyes and put on a set of goggles with good side protection.

3. Oh yeah, each cover comes in its own plastic bag, The bags are a good size for debris but they have air vent holes that can become maddening leaks for things like sawdust and plaster dust. (Hey, these covers are so good that I'm reaching for even the most trivial "negative"...)

All-in-all this is a wonderful well thought out product.

Win Wiencke
on March 10, 2011
I ordered 7 light covers. They arrived early and were very easy to use. The diameters were larger than the area where my lights were installed so I used scissors to cut slots for the joists and wiring. Once I had them all in place and the insulation packed around them, I noticed an immediate difference in the room temperature.
on November 29, 2012
Another review says these are only for IC (insulation contact) rate lights...not true. Right in the product description it says they are for IC and Non IC rated lights.

I installed 30 of these on my older non IC lights and had a deep layer of insulation blown into the attic over everything. We noticed an immediate difference and had to turn our pellet stove down to the lowest setting to keep it from being too warm! Also, I have not had any lights overheat and cycle off with these covers.

Very easy to install too!
on October 10, 2012
I installed the covers over my recess lights and they seemed to do the job. I will know more after my i kept track of my utility bill for a year. My first bill was $38 cheaper than the year before. I can't remember if the weather was cooler or hotter the same time last year. I also had done some more things in my home like a chimney balloon,and an attic tent that i am sure helped along with the recess light covers. I covered 17 in my home. I had an energy analysis company check my home and they recommended the attic tent, chimney balloon, and recess light covers. I also changed all of my light bulbs to the CFL type in my home upon their request. I spent about $1000 and i hope it was worth it.