5.0 out of 5 stars 'Just take a picture of the mountain'
Published on December 28, 2010 by Grady Harp

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Let Down
Published on January 21, 2011 by Kimberly A-Oden

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Just take a picture of the mountain', December 28, 2010
This review is from: Tennessee (DVD)
TENNESSEE is a minimalist film: there is very little dialogue, not a lot of movement, not a huge climax. It just happens and while it is happening it changes you. Though it is a small budget film it makes a big impact, making us wish that there were more films like this to counterbalance all the big over the top bonanzas that seem to rule the theater circuit. It is gently written (by Russell Schaumburg), sensitive directed by Aaron Woodley, and acted with honesty by a fine young cast.

Ellis (Ethan Peck, definitely an actor on the rise) and Carter (Adam Rothenberg (ditto) are brothers; their mother is dead and their father has a history of abusing the boys to the point that Ellis and Carter no longer see him. Ellis is a photographer by hobby, taking photographs of mountains and landscapes in their Tennessee small town: Carter drinks too much but looks after his younger brother. Ellis is diagnosed as having leukemia and needs a bone marrow transplant - Carter offers but despite being siblings the match is not adequate. The brothers set out on a trip to be together and end up in New Mexico. But soon they are on the road again and in Texas they pause at a diner where they meet Krystal (Mariah Carey) waiting tables, but preferring to write songs. Seeing that the brothers have no money, Krystal takes them home - she is married to an alcoholic Texas Ranger Frank (Lance Reddick) who routinely beats her and demands that the 'freeloaders' be gone in the morning. The next morning the three of them take the car and head to Tennessee - the boys have decided that Ellis' only hope is to find their father to see if he is a candidate to donate bone marrow. The three are chased by Frank until they finally reach Tennessee where, for need of cash, Krystal sings in a nightclub contest and captures the audience's approval while she now has money to give to the brothers to find their father.

How these disparate, desperate people come together emotionally and the manner in which the story ends may seem too pat for some, but for viewers with vulnerable hearts this little film will be fulfilling. Each of the cast is excellent, but it is such a pleasure to see Mariah Carey in a role that merits her talent and find that she handles it so well is rewarding. It is a small story with a huge heart. Grady Harp, December 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Movie!, February 6, 2010
This review is from: Tennessee (DVD)
Its a very touchy story of two brothers who happen to meet one woman and how they're lives changed. Its a story about changes and renewal of spirit. Very good and I hope to own it soon!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Let Down, January 21, 2011
Kimberly A-Oden (Los Angeles, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tennessee (DVD)
I love Mariah Carey she is one of my favorite singers, but in this movie I was expecting them to give her a much uplifting part, instead it was kind of sad that she was in a bad relationship and helping some brothers get from one place to the next with confusion as to what was wrong with one of the sick brothers and her husband which is a cop is now looking for her. It was a boring and sad movie. they did not really showcase Mariah singing ability which I was expecting, this should have been just a cable movie, PERIOD.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this movie!!!, January 26, 2010
This review is from: Tennessee (DVD)
I'm a huge Mariah Carey fan..This movie was very sad, yet very powerful..Many i believe can relate to this film...I don't wanna say to much without spoiling it..It was very much worth renting, and for me, i now gotta go buy this!. All the acting was great in this movie...I very much recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars DONT TAKE ME WRONG, October 3, 2013
This review is from: Tennessee (DVD)
I AM A HUGE,I MEAN A HHHUUUGGGEEE!!!, MARIAH CAREY FAN BUT TH MOVIE WISEGIRLS SHE WAS ALL ABOUT BLAH BLAH BLAH AND DONT EVEN SHUT HER MOUTH WHICH REALLY GOT ON MY NERVES AND ANNOYED... I ALSO OWN GLITTER AND SHE WAS NOT A GREAT ACTRESS IN GLITTER EITHER... THE BACHELOR ANOTHER MOVIE I OWN AND MARIAH CAREY WAS IN IT BUT ONLY LIKE 5 MINUTES AND THAT WAS IT... THE ONLY MOVIES I REALLY LIKE OF HERS IN WAS TENNESSEE AND YES I OWN THIS MOVIE AS WELL... MY FEAR IS THAT SHE MAY OR MAY NOT BE GREAT ACTRESS IN PRECIOUS WHICH I DONT OWN YET SO THIS MESSAGE GO OUT TO MARIAH: HEY MARIAH YOU ARE MUCH BETTER TO BE A SINGER!!! BEING ACTRESS DONT FIT YOUR PERSONALITY... JUST BEING HONEST WITH YOU... LOVE YA!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Indie drama!, October 1, 2013
This review is from: Tennessee (DVD)
Hesitant at first about purchasing a independent film I had little about although being a Lee Daniel's film and the price I ordered, and am truly glad I did.
The plot and story is not only original and believable it contains surprise a few surprises throughout the film that generally aren't expected in dramas. with a great main plot and characters whose own background and in depth story plots keep you interested and engaged.
Acting, Ethan Peck gives a moving and believable performance, Adam Rothenberg (whom i never heard of previously) delivers an on target portrayal of his troubled and overwhelmed character, and Mariah Carey who even after redeeming herself in Precious surprisingly shines thoughout the feature. On screen most the film she dose so well I forgot she was Mariah.

Truly a Gem and a find

5.0 out of 5 stars MARIAH!!!!, July 22, 2012
This review is from: Tennessee (DVD)
I love Mariah Carey in all her diva glory!!!! To my surprise she did not over-act the role she did really good and this was an awesome movie she did a great job I feel it should have went to theaters!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it, June 9, 2012
André Costa (Olinda, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tennessee (DVD)
Thanks, it's perfect! The DVD arrived in Brazil very fast earlier than expected. i'm so happy. is beautiful and it is the same as shown on the site.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was pleasantly surprised, March 10, 2012
Scout (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tennessee (DVD)
Good movie. The story engaged me and the acting was well done. Mariah Carey was very good in the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, great movie., January 12, 2012
This review is from: Tennessee (DVD)
I really really enjoyed this movie. I was so impressed by Mariah's acting...and the story was really touching and moving. I definitely shed a number of tears... The filming is really lovely...and I just love the Tennessee landscape. Just beautiful! It's worth a watch...I'm very happy I stumbled across this movie unexpectedly.

Tennessee
Tennessee by Mariah Carey (DVD - 2010)
$19.97 $15.22