Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 147 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 22, 2009 9:01:10 AM PDT
I was very dismayed when I started testing out my new Cs6000i and discovered I was having the same thread tension problems people complained about. After several hours adjusting the tension to every possible setting on several different stitches, it seemed to be the bottom thread that was the culprit.

I decided it might be the flimsy plastic bobbin---when I switched to a heavier duty metal bobbin of the same size---IT WAS MAGIC! The machine started making perfect stitches on the factory setting of tension at 4!!

If you are having the same problem--it's worth a try! Hope this helps someone!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2009 9:10:35 AM PDT
You have to be really careful when threading the bobbin that it falls into the metal slot when it goes under the plastic ledge or you will have problems with the stitches. Where did you find a metal bobbin like the plastic one?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 11:03:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2010 11:04:44 AM PST
Candi Flater says:
Thank you so much for posting this tip! I was also having tension problems and NOTHING helped until I tried metal bobbins. I took the plastic one to JoAnn's to make sure I purchased the correct size and it works perfect on the factory default tension setting now!!! Thanks so much!

Posted on Mar 30, 2010 10:57:46 PM PDT
JennN. says:
Thank you for this post!!!!!!!!!!!! You just saved my sanity (and saved my wall from the inevitable hole my machine was going to make when I threw it).

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2010 8:54:47 PM PDT
Niranjan says:
I'd love to know where to find metal bobbins of the same size as the SA156 plastic ones that fit the Brother CS600I. Do you happen to know the part # or maker of the metal bobbins you used in your Brother machine?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2010 3:38:04 PM PDT
Amazon fan says:
I found them on ebay and they are really inexpensive, $8.99 for 20 of them, the seller was worldweidnerco and free shipping

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 7:06:24 PM PDT
L. Hallford says:
I am having problems with the tension on my machine as well. I have tried adjusting the tension dial, but nothing works. Setting it to "zero" makes the stitches much too loose, but setting it in between "zero" and "one" makes the top tension too tight. I have checked how the machine is threaded, and cannot find a problem! Can anyone help?

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 6:46:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2011 7:46:55 AM PST
DB says:
i too had tension problems from the get go. To sew basic cotton quilting i have to set the tension at about 7. I tried sewing cotton voile to make a summer blouse for my daughter. I never could get the tension set correctly. I just hope seam doesnt come loose- one good pull and the whole seam will be undone.
It's very very frustrating to have a brand new out of the box product not work correctly.
As far as metal bobbins go, it looks like my generic class 15 metal bobbins will work (mine have holes all around the rim) But i havent tried it yet
edit 1-21-11: i have tried metal bobbins and it did not fix the problem. I wish iwould have found this discussion thread before i purchased. and i definitely should have returned this machine before my time was up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2010 11:58:08 AM PDT
That's a great thing to know. I do have metal and plastic bobbins and have the same issues with tension occasionally, though I have a different sewing machine. I'm gonna check those bobbins.

Sandy

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 1:34:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2011 1:36:52 PM PST
Sam says:
I was having similar tension problems, and finally figured out that threading the bobbin was not as "easy" as Brother claims. If you watch the video, it appears all you have to do is drop in the bobbin, then pull the thread through the easy chute on the surface of the machine. Easy as pie, right?

But if you look at the quick-start guide included with your machine, there's a small illustration showing how the bobbin thread must FIRST go under a tiny metal piece before pulling through the plastic channel on the surface. Miss that step and you'll have nothing but problems.

It's NOT easy to do. It usually takes 2 -3 tries to get it right, and usually requires shoving my finger down there to guide the thread. But ever since I've learned to do it correctly, it's been smooth-sailing.

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 4:37:02 PM PDT
Fisher says:
i also use the metal bobbins (and the plastic ones) in this machine. i get them at Walmart. they're actually cheaper than the plastice ones!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2011 7:04:00 PM PDT
I bought this machine because it had good reviews and it looked easy to use. The first machine came with out the all the asserories So I send it back and got another one so i ordered metal bobbins to not have the tension problems. I hope it solves it.

Posted on May 30, 2011 11:02:51 AM PDT
NT says:
You also need to make sure that the bobbin is going to turn counter clockwise. If it is turning clockwise you will have problems.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 9:04:37 AM PDT
Jules says:
Get the metal (and plastic) bobbins at Walmart. Joann's does not have the correct plastic ones last time i checked.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 12:08:09 PM PDT
H. Hurt says:
I haven't noticed tension problems with my machine, but I've only used the metal bobbins. So maybe that's the trick!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 12:08:43 PM PDT
H. Hurt says:
Just at the fabric stores. Universal metal bobbins are great.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 12:09:45 PM PDT
H. Hurt says:
I just use the universal metal ones from my local fabric store. Most machines are made by the same manufacturer, with the brand added later, so the bobbins should cross over from one machine to another.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 2:45:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2011 2:47:52 AM PDT
Amazon fan:
Thank you, I'll see if the metal bobbins work on my buttonholing problem. My tension problems seem to have been solved by keeping the shuttlecock/shuttlecase clean, using the right size needle for the fabric weight, and keeping the tension between 5 and 4, but maybe this will fix my buttonholer which seems to stop halfway through and lock in place.

Sam:
What piece are you talking about? There are three metal pieces and my thread always goes under them without any effort, so I have no clue which one you're talking about.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2011 12:11:18 PM PDT
Grandma Mary says:
I will definitly try that. For some reason I didn't think you could use metal bobbins in this machine. Not sure why, it's just that plastic bobbins are what they said to use. I hope I can find some in the right size. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2011 12:15:35 PM PDT
Grandma Mary says:
Fortunately I didn't throw my machine through the wall, however I did replace it because I was so disappointed with the performance. I am new to quilting and I was getting inconsistent stitches, tension problems and overall unprofessional looking sewing. I went with a Janome/Kenmore because of the METAL, not plastic gears. I'll keep this machine for light duty sewing and when I want to take it somewhere because it's so light, but I'll use the Janome for everything else.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2011 12:21:07 PM PDT
Grandma Mary says:
I am so disappointed with the performance of my Brother CS2000i too. I'm going to try the metal bobbins, but I have already replaced my Brother with a Janome/Kenmore. It has all metal gears, not plastic like this light weight machine does. I am so much happier. I am quilting now and the look of the stitches is very important. Besides every sewer wants to be proud of their work.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2011 12:29:04 PM PDT
Grandma Mary says:
Thanks for the information!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2011 2:39:10 PM PDT
Grandma Mary says:
I tried the metal universal bobbins and they work great! Big difference. I still have some hesitations about this machine. It's still a little inconsistent.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 7:31:11 AM PDT
Can anyone confirm the metal bobbins? I can only find class 15 which I think are the ones to use?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 5:46:04 PM PDT
Grandma Mary says:
That's the ones I am using and they work fine. However they are not recommended for this machine. I was a little hesitant at first, but now it's all I'm using and I haven't had a single problem.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  97
Total posts:  147
Initial post:  Aug 22, 2009
Latest post:  29 days ago

Search Customer Discussions