5.0 out of 5 stars Succeeded At Its Mission

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed to say the least
Published on February 8, 2009 by Eric Albert

5.0 out of 5 stars Succeeded At Its Mission, September 8, 2004
This review is from: Terk Technology AM/FM Radio Antenna (Electronics)
I bought a wonderful Grundig s35 radio, which works wonderfully in my Los Angeles home, but which suffers in performance at work, a college, because of so much interference in the building. I bought the Terk antenna to see if I could get KPCC, a Pasadena station about thirty miles away. The Terk succeeded. Whereas without the Terk antenna I could barely get KPCC, about 10% clarity, with the antenna this often tough-to-get FM station now comes in with over 90% clarity. Also all the other stations, both FM and AM, are now much stronger and clearer. So I'm glad I bought the Terk. Finally, let me add that the hook up is easy. You just snap the attachment to the back of the radio. Finished.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, good looking antenna, December 28, 2004
This review is from: Terk Technology AM/FM Radio Antenna (Electronics)
This is a passive antenna that receives radio signals over a pretty broad range of directions simultaneously, so while it won't let you receive stations hundreds of miles away, it is a nice step up from the ugly wires and loops that come with most stereos today -- especially in the aesthetics department. Performance does seem a little better; I expect some of this is due to the fact that you can more reliably 'aim' something this size rather than those long wires that you normally get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good looking (at least as far as antennas go) and works well, January 5, 2005
This review is from: Terk Technology AM/FM Radio Antenna (Electronics)
This antenna is much better looking than a wire antenna and does a very good job of being an antenna too. I get excellent reception with it. My only quibble is that there is small slot in the plastic where you can run the antenna wires through to route them out the back. This little slot is wide enough for the AM wire, but is not wide enough to accommodate the FM wire so you have to run it out the side and then back. Not a major problem, but you have to wonder how they could make such a mistake. If not for that this would definitely be a 5 star product as it is reasonably priced, looks good (better than in the picture here, which makes it appear huge - it isn't big at all) and works great!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed to say the least, February 8, 2009
I bought this antenna after reading about various different antennas. I wanted to run my home entertainment tuner. I live inside a small town of about 6500 people, and 32 miles from a very large city that offers many AM stations that I enjoy. I was very suprised to find that the AM doesn't work well enough to understand any stations, period. It is a static mess. However, I rate this 1 star instead of none because the FM works flawlessly. Very clear and pics up all the stations in the area as it should. If you are looking for an FM antenna, buy this. AM, don't waste your money, this thing is a peice of crap. How they can get away with calling this an AM antenna I don't know...

1.0 out of 5 stars Did NOT work for me..., August 16, 2005
This review is from: Terk Technology AM/FM Radio Antenna (Electronics)
I was trying to get in three FM stations that were local ~20 miles, but had very weak signals (public radio, college, etc). This did NOT help at all. In fact, 2 of my other corporate FM stations (which had "medium" signals) were actually made much worse with this thing! And for the very "strong" corporate signal FM stations, it added some sort of distortion that made my speakers crackle and pop like they were blown. It totally killed ALL of my AM stations. A useles piece of junk, in my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed by Reception and Size, February 23, 2006
Erik C. Hjerpe (Bloomington, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Terk Technology AM/FM Radio Antenna (Electronics)
This antenna did not offer good reception. In fact, unless "aimed" precisely, it seems to be no different than having no antenna. Additionally, it is large and awkward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, February 6, 2006
This review is from: Terk Technology AM/FM Radio Antenna (Electronics)
I have an AIWA stereo system that was given to me as a gift almost ten years ago. With the system came two cheap antennas that were really just plastic coated wires with exposed ends. It was impossible to get ANY signal from them. Now, almost ten years later, I ordered the Terk AM/FM+ radio antenna from amazon, and I could not be happier. I had the thing hooked up within three minutes. The antenna can either be placed on a flat surface, or hung on the wall on a simple nail. If you are looking for a great antenna at an even greater price, then look no further.

1.0 out of 5 stars No help whatsoever, November 29, 2010
This review is from: Terk Technology AM/FM Radio Antenna (Electronics)
These provided absolutely no improved reception at all over the cheap fm antenna that came with the receiver. Would not recommend this to anyone...you get what you pay for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Extend radio reception, February 20, 2009
At work, in order to receive AM signals, you need to either have your radio in a window, or use an external antenna that can reach to the window, and connect to your radio.
I have a Grundig s350 radio, which has decent reception anyway, but I needed an external antenna to receive the AM for sports broadcasts. This hooked right up both AM and FM right to the radio. FM was improved nicely. AM was improved, but not to the extent I had hoped. There is still static, albeit, a low level that is not bad enough to not use it.
I wanted something that could reach to the window, yet allow the radio to sit next to me so I could the volume low, and turn it on/off as the needs required. That would be about 5-6 feet. Not sure how long they say the wires are, but I could use another foot or two for sure. The FM wire is larger, and the kinks from shipping/packing cause you to lose about 10 inches of the length. The antenna is so light, it pulls it over.
On the up side, it works even when it is not in the window, but not as well. So it does improve things. It is a passive device with no adjustments. My radio has antenna gain, which also helps.
It looks much nicer than what others have, pretty much theirs is a round/oval shaped piece of plastic, this is a nice square solid thing. I would say it's AM performance is mediocre, FM not to bad.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pull in strong stations - but I need help on the weak ones, April 28, 2005
Late Adoptor (Cupertino, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Terk Technology AM/FM Radio Antenna (Electronics)
This pretty much sum up my experience. It is realy easy to set up but it is not helping me where I needed. The weak station remains weak. A powered antenna should help but my experience is that powered antenna also introduce much interference. Placing it close to windows should help - the location of my stereo is in the middle of my house.

Terk Technology AM/FM Radio Antenna