4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Fun
There were so many negative reviews on this game I was surprised. I played TDU1 and enjoyed myself.
When the sequel came out everyone seemed to despise it instantly.
I did a little extra research - and I must say it was hard to find an unbiased review.

Youtube: Classic Game Room TDU2 -[...]
This was the most complete and honest review I could...
Published on February 21, 2011 by musicallie

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT but OVERSHADOWED
Got the game on steam. Just wanna make a review on this game.
I'll divide it into categories to avoid making wall of text :D. There maybe some spoilers. Don't say I didn't warned ya.
1st up is the GRAPHICS:
Published on March 10, 2011 by chester

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT but OVERSHADOWED, March 10, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Test Drive Unlimited 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
Got the game on steam. Just wanna make a review on this game.
1st up is the GRAPHICS:
The game graphics is "good" in today's' game graphics standards. But it lacks a lil' bit on bloom effect like most recent NFS games. Everything is detailed from roads, grass, trees and houses. The cars were looking perfect in my eyes. Overall I'll give the graphics 4/5.

GAMEPLAY:
You race, rise in the ranks then race again just like every other racing games out there. No rocket science here :). The races were separated in 3 classes; ASPHALT - ( Sport Cars ) CLASSIC - ( Classic Cars, mostly RWD cars ) and finally OFF-ROAD ( SUV's ). Each classes is divided into 7 levels. And each level composing of at least 2 championship races. There's ALOT of racing in this game, they won't disappoint. There's also some mini missions. I won't spoil it. This game is online, though you can play offline if you prefer. 5/5

CONTROLS:
The very 1st race I've played... awful. Cars skid and under steer like it's their default movement. Though you can fix it in the options. There are 3 choices; FULL SUPPORT, SPORTS and HARDCORE. Don't try hardcore ( as the game is set to hardcore on default ). The sports one hits the spot perfectly ( though some cars still skid and understeer alot specially RWD cars ). Once you get use to it, you'll be a pro in no time. 4/5

MULTIPLAYER:

Like I said, this is an online game. But you really would ask yourself the moment you jump into the game: "where's the world chat? friend chat? or is there even chat capability built in-game? NO, if your playing the ps3 xbox 360 version then yes. But for the PC, you might use 3rd party software to get somewhere. Really, they were so proud to introduce online capability, BUT where is the multiplayer aspect? NONE - 1/5

BUGs BUGs BUGs... the amount of bugs on this game is gigantic, considering they did a beta before launch. I've had my 3rd New game now because the other 2 became corrupted. Now I'm playing, praying and hoping the this will be fix with upcoming patches, some bugs were already fixed.

OVERALL i'd score this game 3/5. Bugs is a huge letdown and there really is no way to interact with other people in-game.
If you like a good arcade racing game, this is for you. It could have been a good game but the issues overshadowed this game.
I think the reason why people is so negative about this game is because It was release after NFS- Hot pursuit overshadowing this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Fun, February 21, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Test Drive Unlimited 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
When the sequel came out everyone seemed to despise it instantly.

Youtube: Classic Game Room TDU2 -[...]
This was the most complete and honest review I could find.

The graphics and overall game quality is the most disputed aspect of this game. The graphics are amazing. They spent a lot of work on the environments and cars. The people - could use some serious help. But this IS a racing game. If you are interested in dressing up digital barbie dolls I suggest the SIMS. In TDU2 your "avatars" exist to help you interface and communicate with other players. They aren't super realistic, but I've seen worse.
It's also important to make sure your computer can handle the graphics of a game like this. Many people buy games and then complain about bugs and graphics. When it's all actually their computer system being overwhelmed by the amount of data. So please - check system requirements carefully.

There were some legitimate handling issues during the initial release. However, the recent patches have fixed the handling.
Currently, there have been problems with the TDU2 servers. Players have been hacking into the game to increase their levels and money supply. Thanks to their selfishness, the TDU2 servers crashed and new security protocols will have to be created before the servers can be made accessible again.

For some unknown reason there seems to be a lot of hate for this game. Yes - the cut-scenes and character models are cheesy. Yes - the plot-line is ridiculous. But the cars are amazing and it's packed full of fun racing. Isn't that what racing games are all about?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sale, July 9, 2013
Vlad the Bad (Moscow, Russia) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best games for $5 bucks I have bought! I have been playing for an hour and....
-- The graphics are good, Very High, 8xAA on 3 monitory Eyefinity and it is nice to look at.
-- In just a short time there is tons to do. Way more than your normal driving game.
-- The maps and play area looks huge.

So overall, I am already pleased. This game is $5 on sale and sadly, I almost didn't buy it. Why? All the horrific reviews on here. I am so glad I got it, I will definitely get my $5 worth :)

Take reviews on Amazon with a grain of salt!
Hard to play with a mouse and keyboard... DUH.. read the info. section!!! lol. "Additional Info: DirectX 9.0c-compatible 10-button controller such as Xbox 360 or Logitech Dual-Action"
Don't be cheap and get yourself a --Logitech wireless710 Xbox controller. Almost all games now are built around a controller.

--It requires an internet connection.. Yup, if you can't stand it, be forewarned. Don't buy it and then complain about it LOL. You do not however have to log into the server to play. I hate online multiplayer games, and while I guess this has one, at the start up screen, click "offline" and there is no logging in or anything.
-- I can't figure out how to set up my monitor or hardware so this game sucks! LOL...C'mon, you can't figure out your hardware and the game is a bummer? I have no problems running this on 3 monitors @5760x108op HD :P
--Takes so long to download and online only... Again you can play offline and if you have a really crappy internet connection why rate a game bad because your internet service is slow. That has ZERO to do with this game and yet 1 star reviews! LOL.
This game downloaded for me I think in about 75 minutes (I am not sure since I was gaming while this was downloading) and it installed in less than 5 minutes. REALLY HARD.... yeah right. The best thing to do is maybe click download b4 you go to bed then you can't tell if it is slow and it will be waiting for you in the morning :)

So overall, get this game! Get it now while it is super cheap. $5 dollars? Yup, $50 probably not... catch this sale b4 it's gone.

P.S. I really hate spending my time writing reviews, just wanted to post something though since all the bad reviews almost kept me from getting this and I am glad I relented and bought it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a step down, July 7, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Test Drive Unlimited 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
Overall, it's a good racing game once you get into it. Unfortunately it takes a little doing to actually get into the *racing* part of the game. The graphics are nice, the variety of cars is good, the variety of racing styles & missions is good, and it's great having a big open world to drive around and explore. What's annoying is how much focus is placed on doing other, non-racing stuff. You end up having to waste WAY too much time advancing your character by doing idiotic things like buying new clothes, changing your haircut, redecorating your home, etc. I mean, come on, this is a RACING game, not a SIMS game! I also don't like the new driving school requirements....you have to go to driving school and complete various lessons/tests before you will be allowed to actually enter races. Annoying! But once you get past those things, the actual driving & racing part of the game is quite good....just be prepared to spend a couple hours doing useless stuff before you can really get into the racing. If you liked the first TDU, you'll like this as well.....but in some ways it's a step backward rather than forward for the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY EXCITED TO PLAY!, August 2, 2013
I have heard a lot of bad reviews about this game but when I saw that it was on sale, I thought why not and bought it... The downloading was fast and I was playing it in a few hours. I am not sure why people had been so hard on this game. If you are looking for a fun racing game that brings you into the life of someone trying to succeed at what they want to, then I would recommend this game! There are more choices of cars and more options in locations and activities given to you, also. As well as if you have played the first version of Test Drive Unlimited, like I have, then I hope you agree that this game is defiantly a step up!

5.0 out of 5 stars This game is very very cool, March 21, 2013
the best car game I've played.
the maps are large.
There are a variety of impressive cars
has many missions short, long, medium, competitions between players

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice game, June 13, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Test Drive Unlimited 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
the less price the good game.I like the game very well.and play online mode with the players from many country

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cars game i've ever played, March 1, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Test Drive Unlimited 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
Most people i asked about this game told me it was worse than the first one, but considering the price i took the chance and now i don't regret it. I find it very amusing and it will have you sitting in the pc for several hours before you even notice it. I heve to tell anyway that i'm not a gamer so i'm easily impressed. However if you get this game, be sure to have a good pc, otherwise the gaming experience will be awful. Check the minimum system requirements and be sure to be way over them.

3.0 out of 5 stars tdu2 review, November 14, 2011
tdu2 is a large world racing game that rewards exploration. along the way are some pretty cars and decent landscape graphics. there's avatar customization though I can't say I'm a fan of the dressing up to level up mechanics that go with it. objectively I'll say the voice acting was awful. the actual racing is very much arcade with some sim elements thrown in if you choose the expert handling option.

in short this game isn't for everyone. at least search this game on youtube before purchasing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for $5, October 24, 2011
With a wheel it's not the easiest to navigate on my home theater. Have to switch back and forth from wheel to keyboard and mouse. Kinda clunky navigation and can be confusing to complete objectives. Racing gameplay is pretty fun and arcady. Would buy again for $5, not more though.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 - PC
Test Drive Unlimited 2 - PC by Atari (Windows Vista / XP)
$69.99