5.0 out of 5 stars The ULTIMATE advanced charger for me - potentially
[Full Disclosure]:
Published 13 months ago by NLee the Engineer

Published 6 months ago by Andrew Falconar

5.0 out of 5 stars The ULTIMATE advanced charger for me - potentially, January 1, 2014
This review is from: Opus Tester Analyzer Battery Charger, 12V, Black (Electronics)
[Full Disclosure]:
Several months ago, a distributor sent me (unsolicited) two pre-production units of BT-C2000 Battery Charger Tester Analyzer for my feedback. I was reluctant to write this review since it may give people the impression that I'm now accepting free samples for 'honest' reviews. However, since I already spent time playing with this charger, I might as well share my findings for the benefit of others. Just keep in mind that the following observations are based on pre-production models.
[End Disclosure]

I have purchased several advanced battery charger/tester/analyzer in the past 7-8 years, including the La Crosse BC-900, BC-700, BC-500 , BC1000, Maha MH-C9000, AccuPower IQ-328 and BM200. Unfortunately, they all have either design limitations or features that I miss. The BM200, in particular, looked most promising as it combines the best features between BC1000 and MH-C9000. But it failed to become my ultimate 'go-to' charger due to poor thermal management.

The BT-C2000 Battery Charger Tester Analyzer can be viewed as the 'version 2.0' of BM200. With new firmware and circuit board design, it claims to have solved the thermal problem, and added some useful refinements to the user interface. Here are my findings on this charger:

[EXTERIOR]
From the outside, the BT-C2000 looks exactly the same as the BM200. That means it is sized right in-between BC1000 and MH-C9000. The way to distinguish BT-C2000 from BM200 is to check the firmware version. During power up, the leftmost window shows a "2.0" briefly.

[Power Supply]
The BT-C2000 charger unit is powered by a 12V supply from AC wall unit, similar to that for BM200 and MH-C9000. They all share the same 2.1/5.5mm barrel plug, so I can freely interchange the adapters. The BC1000, on the other hand, requires a 3V supply to operate, so it cannot operate directly from 12V car battery through a cigarette lighter adapter. All AC adapters are designed for 100-240V AC input.

[DISPLAY]
The LCD display is identical to that of the BM200. It has four independent columns, showing the status of all four cells at once. This is much better than the MH-C9000's single-column display, which can only display one parameter of one cell at any one time. The display has a backlight which automatically times out after 10 seconds of inactivity. This is an improvement over both BC1000 (no backlight) and MH-C9000 (backlight stays on).

[CHARGING CURRENT]
The default charging current has been increased from 200mA (in BM200 and BC1000) to 400mA. This is a most welcomed change, since the new default current works well for both AA and AAA cells. In contrast, the BC1000's default current of 200mA is too low for AA, while the MH-C9000's default of 1000mA is too high for AAA.

Naturally, you can press the CURRENT button to change all charging currents in 200mA steps (400 -> 600 -> 800 -> 1000 -> 200) before charging starts. When charging only two cells in slot#1 and 4, the charging current can be increased to 1200 or 1400mA. You can also select any one cell using the SLOT button, and adjust its current independently. Unlike the BC1000, you are free to choose current higher than that used by previous cells.

[FUNCTIONS]
The BT-C2000 shares similar features found in BC1000 and MH-C9000. The operation is controlled by pressing the MODE button:
- CHARGE
- DISCHARGE
- REFRESH (called CYCLE in MH-C9000)
- TEST (called ANALYZE in MH-C9000)

In addition, the BT-C2000 added a "QUICK TEST" function, which measures the internal resistance of each cell. This is useful to screen for old cells that have developed high internal resistance. All my good-quality AA NiMH cells (Sanyo eneloop) have resistance around 50 mOhm or less. Some of my old Energizer cells have resistances around hundreds of mOhm. Those can still be used in light-drain appliances such as wireless mice. (The MH-C9000 does an impedance check whenever a cell is inserted, and refuses to charge it if the resistance is too high.)

[DEAD CELL DETECTION]
The BC1000 has a known bug: if the terminal voltage of a depleted cell drops below 0.5V, the charger cannot detect it and the display says `null'. The BT-C2000 has mostly resolved this problem. In my testing, it is able to detect a depleted cell with just 0.1V across. However, in case the cell is over-discharged to 0V or polarity reversal (negative voltage), the display will still say `null'.

[THERMAL ISSUE]
The over-heating problem found in BM200 seems to be mostly resolved in BT-C2000. The charger does not suffer from 'thermal hiccup' even when charging 4 cells at 1000mA. However, cells still get rather warm to the touch near the end of charging phase. The MH-C9000, on the other hand, keeps the cells lukewarm when charging at the same current. This is mostly due to its larger case and ventilation space between cells.

[QUIRKS]:
So far, I like everything I saw on the BT-C2000 - except for the following problems:
1. The DISCHARGE function is quite useless. It discharges a cell down to 0.9V, and then recharges it back to full automatically. The `mAh' number you see in the end is for the final Charging phase, not for the initial discharge. I rather have the charger stops after the Discharge phase, and preserve the 'mAh' number. This is how the MH-C9000 implements its DISCHARGE function.
[Update: a reader confirmed that DISCHARGE function in the production model works correctly now]

2. During DISCHARGE/REFRESH operation, the 'mAh' reading from previous Discharge phase is not preserved. Instead, it shows the accumulated charge during the present Charge phase, which is useless information. This makes it impossible for me to measure the remaining charge in a cell, which is vital for my long-term battery self-discharge rate measurement. (The BC1000 preserves the 'mAh' reading from the previous Discharge phase, so I have a few hours to record the data)

3. I tried to charge two C cells through the C/D-to-AA adapters in slots #1 and 4. Although I can select the highest current of '1400mA', the actual current I observed varies all over the place between 900mA and 1200mA. Apparently, the extra resistance introduced by the adapter makes it difficult for the charger to regulate at higher current.

I must stress again that my observations are based on pre-production models. It is possible that the final model may have addressed those issues.

[CONCLUSION]:
With the exception of the issues mentioned above, I consider the BT-C2000 to be the best advanced charger/analyzer I have found. Once those issues are resolved (hopefully through firmware update), it could become my ultimate 'go-to' charger for battery testing as well as daily charging. Maybe by then, I can finally get rid of the other half a dozen advanced chargers that I own. In the meantime, I will hang on to my BC1000 and MH-C9000.

[Update on May 14, 2014]
There seems to be a lot of confusions about the DISCHARGE function. For the final production model, DISCHARGE is supposed to stop right after cell voltage has dropped to 0.9V. But apparently, some people received older models which recharge automatically after Discharge is done (same as my pre-production model). Both models display firmware version 2.0 during power up.

I strongly suggest people should look for the latest BT-C2000 Battery Charger Tester Analyzer with firmware v2.1. It made several improvements that I like. See my review on it for details.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete and useful charger/analyzer, February 3, 2014
I bought the Opus BT-C2000 few days ago. NLee the engineer’s review above is very complete (as always from NLee :) ), and accurate from what I have seen so far so I’ll just add my observations.

First impression, this Opus BT-C2000 is a very complete charger/analyzer and is easy to use. I got interested by this charger because it advertised the capability to charge/analyze cells up to 20,000mAh and has C/D cells adapters included in the box. I use high capacity C/D cells, so this looked like the right charger to get the job done. I’ve seen review of C/D cells adapters for other charger which do not fit/clip well in chargers, but the Opus ones are tight are work well. It does handle the C/D cell like any other cells, except for resistance checks (the adapters add resistance leading to wrong readings…)

The charger has thermal sensors for both the batteries and the unit itself. Info from the user manual, (I don’t have the tools to verify…), if it detects a temperature of 60deg on a cell, it will pause the on-going operation to let the cell cool down. If it detects a temperature of 70deg in the unit, it will also pause the operation to allow cooling down. This is very nice to prevent damaging the cells or the unit.

From an analysis I’ve read, the charge is gentle and seems to give a very nice and delicate finish, adjusting the charge rate toward the end. This good technical analysis can be read on candlepowerforums dot com. I would recommend googling it if interested in more technical details (simple google search “Opus BT-C2000 review”).

Once the charge is completed, it goes to a 10 to 15mA rate (seems to be depending of the type of cell being charged), just to maintain its level (I would still not leave the cells there for long periods...).

The charge function is set to 400mAh as default, but can be increased to 1000mAh if the 4 slots are used, or 1400mAh if slots 1 and 4 are used for C/D cells with the adapters. This is good for high capacity C/D cells, but still a little long to get a full charge. Being a high capacity D cell user, I would like a bit more, like 2000mAh. But 1400mAh still gets the job done. One observation, when charging my high capacity D cells, it seems to be hovering between 1100-1250mAh, not 1400mAh constant. But still does a good job at handling the charge smoothly. Another observation, I charged Imedion C cells at 800mAh and at this rate, the current was very stable on 800 until going into “finishing mode”.

The charge-test function will analyze the capacity of a battery by charging, discharging and re-charging the cell. The mAh values after the discharge function are kept on the display, allowing keeping note even after the cycle is completed.

The quick check function measure the internal resistance of a cell in milliohms. One good point, it can measure alkaline batteries as well. I actually had a bunch of alkalines on the shelf and I check them all for voltage & internal resistance, I found out many were too low V or too high ohms to be used.

Overall, a very good, useful and complete unit. My only few complains would be: I wish the slots were C and D cell sized instead of using an adapter, it would allow charging and testing 4 D cell (or 4 C cells) at the same time instead of only 2, and I wish the charge rate would go to 2000mAh to address high capacity cells a bit faster. There might also be some work to be done on the algorithms for high current charge as it does not seem stable. But these are minor “nice to have” and it’s not enough to lower my rating. The overall unit is very good… I give a fair 5 stars to the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best charger I've used so far...but for a strange repeating observation., February 1, 2014
After my La Cross BC-700 gave up the ghost after many hard years of use that included dropping it far more times than I can count I went in search of a replacement. Used almost exclusively on AA eneloops for photography speedlite use with the rare occasional AAA usage. On a typical week I recharge a set of 16 AA's two/three times a week so it gets considerably more use than the typical household.

The controls are easy to use, and if you've used a "smart charger" before you'll quickly figure out after reading the instructions how to operate the unit. It gives a bit more time after battery insertion to set mode and charge rate than the La Cross which is nice. Even under high charge rates of 1000 the batteries get warm but not hot. I've recharged hundreds of batteries and "refreshed" many in it as well and the unit has not faltered, become hot, or failed on a single battery. I really like it, it's easy to use, the display is easy to see and it's become a workhorse.

Now about that observation. I purchased new eneloops and immediately "refreshed" them as I typically do and noticed that the #1 and #4 slots showed the exact same charge level of 2044 after the process was complete. Didn't really make note of it but as I began using the unit I began to notice a pattern that the #1 and #4 slots almost always showed the same charge regardless of which eneloop battery was put in it when in refresh mode. Now I imagine it's possible that Nikons speedlites quality control is so good it always drains batteries exactly the same and that Sanyo's QC is also so well controlled that each battery also holds the exact same amount but it's difficult for me to believe that I can always randomly get those batteries in the #1 and #4 slot. ( someone way smarter than me could figure out the probability of that happening) It's not always the same total number, but #1 and #4 are the same as each other 95% of the time or within a single number, say 2023 and 2024 the other 5%. Slots #2 and #3 work normally with normal results say, 2114 in one and 2065 in another. It doesn't seem to effect the performance of the batteries in the speedlites and I don't have the equipment to see if they are indeed affected in anyway, but something odd is going on in there!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Charge. Better Neg. Delta V detection than la-cross charger thus you won't have to cook your batteries., January 2, 2014
I have the BC-700, BC-900, and Vanson. This is a nice full feature charger. The discharge function does not recharge after drain is a nice feature. I wish they have put a little more effort and make a 4 slot C/D adapter instead of each independent slot adapter which limit it to only 2 channels. Only 1 negative complaint: I get bad reading from my C/D batteries with Quicktest function using the provided C/D adapters. It is probably due to poor contacts or faulty firmware. I cannot identify the problem. About one in 8 or 9 tries, I get proper reading. I have about 8-D Acculoop (NiMH), 6-C Tenery Centura (NiMH), 4-D (Ni-CAD). All reading was +500 mohms to +900 mOhms. Once in while, i get proper reading of 80mOhms or 40 mOhms. It does not affect the charging though. Proper reading of voltage when charging. Quick test on AA/AAA read properly though: 52mOhms to 80mOhms.

5.0 out of 5 stars A non-technical review., February 27, 2014
The Opus has 5 modes to select from
Charge
Discharge
Discharge-refresh
Charge - test
Quick - test

"Charge:" -- this most most frequently used. It charges at the mA you select (200mA, 400mA etc to 1400mA) until the battery is full.

"Discharge:" -- this is really useful. I put a non rechargeable battery in. It starts to discharge and shows me the voltage across the battery. Batteries are meant to supply power at 1.5Volts. When the power drops below 1 volt then your battery has very little power left. That battery might have enough power for a wall clock but otherwise isn't worth keeping. So I'm going through my box of old batteries (awaiting recycling), to find ones which still have power. If 4 batteries were in a electric toy, say that 3 were empty but one was full. The toy stopped working and so i put all 4 in the box for recycling. I'm finding that about 33% still have good power.

"Discharge - refresh" -- in order to recover an old rechargeable battery.
Sometimes a battery might be rated for 2500mAh ie the total amount of power that it can hold. However lets say that you've been charging it with a quick charger (which can supply 1000mA to the battery and fully charge it in 2.5 hours). The problem with quick charging after a few times is that it shortens the life of the battery and it also reduces the total amount of power that it can store. (e.g. from 2500mAh to 1000mAh so it is now able to store less than half).
This mode will discharge and fully re-charge the battery 3 times at a low current which will help restore the battery back closer to its original capacity (e.g. 2500mAh)
That sounds great, doesn't it. However if you have a D cell battery with a stated capacity of 3000mAh and you choose the lowest charge setting (200mA to charge, it will default to discharge of 400mA). It takes 15hours to charge, 7.5 hours to discharge. This mode does this 3 times for a total of 2 days 20 hours. You could use a higher current of course, but the whole point of this mode is to recover the old battery by using the lowest charge possible. The OPUS can only hold 2 C,D batteries at a time. So the amount of time needed is huge.

Otherwise. Ive had fun with this. I've put in brand new duracell ultra batteries and discharge them to zero just to see what total power (mAh) they contain at a 200mA power drain. I've also tested several brands of recyclable batteries.
My conclusion is that if your using a low drain product (e.g clock, radio, rarely used flashlamp) then use cheap non-branded disposables. If your using a high drain product (e.g. anything with moving parts, camera flashlight etc) then use Sanyo Eneloop 3rd generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome little battery charger, February 27, 2014
S. Bigelow (Banks, OR USA) - See all my reviews
As others have mentioned, this is a great little charger. I have tons of rechargeable batteries, and they seem to reach a point where they don't hold a charge anymore.

With this little charger, I was able to run the refresh cycle on many of the batteries and bring them back to life. Others, since I could tell how much charge they hold, I could tell when they were ready to retire.

Finally, I tore apart one of the battery packs for my drill. It would no longer accept a charge. Once I got the batteries free, I used the adapter, along with 3 pennies, to test out each battery individually. To my surprise, they were all still good. They just needed to be refreshed. I put the pack back together and the battery pack now holds a charge just like it is supposed to. That alone made this purchase worthwhile!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great charger, so-so manual., January 29, 2014
This Opus charger comes with a 4 page manual - in a tiny typeface. A reformatted version of the manual (in larger type) is available at manualslib dot com - search for BT-C2000. Let me try real links...
[...]
[...]

You can download the manual there in pdf form. (The downloaded pdf will display better than the online viewer version and its is a quick download - only 118KB. FYI, I used finereader.abbyyonline dot com [...] to OCR the manual. It did a phenomenal job.)

Quick summary of Working Modes:
CHARGE ....................... Charge. Once FULL, a small maintenance charge is applied.
DISCHARGE .................. Discharge. When completed "0 mA" is displayed. Press DISPLAY to view discharged mAH capacity.
DISCHARGE - REFRESH ... Cycle: (Discharge, Charge) repeated 3 times. Refreshes older batteries to maximum capacity. Takes many hours.
CHARGE - TEST .............. Cycle: (Charge, Discharge, Charge).
.................................... After completion, the tested discharge capacity is displayed in mAh alternating with "FULL".
QUICK TEST .................. Measures battery internal resistance in milliohms +/- 10%. (Unreliable for C and D cells).

The firmware revision of the battery charger is displayed when you power it up. Mine is 2.0. The box said it was "with 2nd generation firmware and hardware design".

I received this charger just a few days ago (1/23/14) and have only used it a few times. Seems terrific so far. Minor point - I would prefer a Start button so I could take my time reading the display instead of having it auto start after a few seconds. But I guess that makes it easy to do the default mode charge - just pop in batteries and it will do its thing. It would be nice to be able to recall last few results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Early days yet but so far very happy, December 16, 2013
Only a few cycles on my eneloop batteries but easy to program and charges well. I look forward to someone smart like Nlee the Engineer reviewing this charger. Good job.

5.0 out of 5 stars versatile, ample directions, great value, March 1, 2014
Read a thorough review for this unit and purchased as a result. Very happy w/ it so far. I've been testing, analyzing and refreshing batts for a month, noting the different states of my batts. It's nice to actually know what batteries suck in my collection and what batteries do NOT suck. I was surprised to know that all my Energizer rechargeable batteries meet/exceed their rating... and these are fairly old batteries. I remember buying them, looking for "Made in Japan". I remember in the 80's when "Made in Japan" was not a good thing. :) I have some Duracell batts that are aggressively rated 2650 and they all barely get 2500. Anyway, you will not be disappointed w/ this unit.

2.0 out of 5 stars OPUS BT-C2000 battery charger: POORLY MASS-PRODUCED AND MISSING MANY GOOD FEATURES, July 24, 2014
OPUS BT-C2000 and Powerex MH-C9000 AA/AAA battery chargers

UPDATE SEPT 23 2014: I noticed that the input plug (male 5.5 x 2.5 mm) from the AC charger cable for the OPUS BT-C2000/2400 did not fit well in the charger and gradually worked its way out. In addition, this charger is not suitable for use above 40oC (104oF)and is therefore not really suitable for use in non-air-conditioned tropical locations. Thus, on top of all of the numerous other faults I found with the OPUS BT-C2000/2400 (see below), I was just really delighted to get rid of it (I just gave it away rather than throw it away), and would never, ever advise anyone to buy one of those chargers. Thus, despite seeing many glowing reviews for this product by other people, I felt like reducing my rate to 1 star because I really grew to hate it!

Instead, I have ordered another PowerEx MH-C9000 which is a real quality product, and this will be the charger provided to the MSc students in the future.

Previous Update
I have now updated my original review with additional information which makes me reduce my rating of the OPUS BT-C2000 to only 2 STARS. I have also checked a friends OPUS BT-C2000 and it also does not have rubber feet to further raise the device and to also prevent slipping when you tilt it to increase ventilation to the batteries from below (they forgot to add them), and the negative poles are also too tight for AA batteries and thus dent the metal and damage their side-casings upon removal! I have really, really grown to dislike this charger due to its cheap mass-production with very poor quality control, weak side illumination (very small bulbs located to the left side of window number 1 and to the right right of window number 4), the illumination going off too soon after activation, the very small fonts, not giving information on the current location of the cycle (e.g. rest, charge, or discharge for the discharge/refresh mode), and lack of a lifting rod, rubber feet or a BREAK-IN mode for the batteries.

Thus, I would very strongly advise people to, instead, buy the more expensive PowerEx MH-C9000.

I have now tested new 2,100 cycle-rated Panasonic Eneloop AA and AAA battery capacities after 2 discharge/refresh programs in the OPUS BT-C2000 (N.B. The OPUS does not have the BREAK-IN mode), followed by only one BREAK-IN mode for the same 4 AA or AAA batteries in the MH-C9000:

OPUS BT-C2000: 2 discharge/refresh programs for the AAA (min 750 mAh) batteries:

capacities 776/776/773/783 = mean 777 mAh

MH-C9000: 1 BREAK-IN cycle for the same AAA batteries:

capacities 830/828/820/821 = mean 825 mAh

As such, only one BREAK-IN cycle of the MH-C9000 increased these AAA battery capacities by an average of 6%.

OPUS BT-C2000: 2 discharge/refresh programs: AA (min 1900 mAh) batteries

capacities: 1900/1908/1917/1918 = mean 1911 mAh

MH-C9000: 1 BREAK-IN cycle for the same AA batteries:

capacities 1989/1993/1984/1988 = mean 1986 mAh

As such, only one BREAK-IN cycle of the MH-C9000 increased these AA battery capacities by an average of 4%.

Powerex suggest to perform the BREAK-IN mode 2-3 times for new or very old batteries to obtain their maximum capacities and therefore I expect them to increase to perhaps 8-10% above the values obtained by the OPUS BT-C2000.

UPDATE 1: The second MH-C9000 BREAK-IN cycle increased by AAA capacities to 841/841/831/829 mean = 836 = 8% increase over the OPUS BT-C2000, so I BELIEVE THAT I WILL OBTAIN THE 10% INCREASE IN THEIR CAPACITIES WITH THE THIRD BREAK-IN CYCLE!

UPDATE 2: I subjected 4 new Panasonic Eneloop AA batteries to three BREAK-IN cycles using the MH-C9000 to obtain: 1st Cycle: 1972/1970/1972/1996 capacities, 2nd Cycle: 2013/2007/2011/2037 capacities, and 3rd Cycle: 2010/2002/2005/2034 capacities. As such, only 2 BREAK-IN cycles were required to obtain the maximum capacities for these AA batteries.

The MH-C9000 which has the BREAK-IN as well as a DISCHARGE/REFRESH mode (in which both discharge and charge currents are added, unlike the OPUS BT-C2000 where only the discharge current is added) is therefore a much better charger for obtaining the best from your rechargeable AA and AAA batteries, and will not damage them through denting and scratching the negative poles.

The only problem with the BREAK-IN mode is the long duration in performing the full program, but I think that it will be worth it in the long run. After the BREAK-IN has been performed Powerex recommends that it only needs to be performed after every 30 recharge cycles.

P.S. I NOTICED THAT OPUS ARE NOW SELLING THEIR CHARGER WITH THE 12V 1A CAR (OR SOLAR PANEL) CHARGING CABLE! MAYBE THEY LISTENED TO MY EARLIER COMMENTS (SEE BELOW). I WOULD HOWEVER STILL NOT INCREASE MY SCORE ABOVE 2 STARS!

Older Review:
OPUS BT-C2000 and Powerex MH-C9000 AA/AAA battery chargers

I have been delighted with my MH-C9000 battery charger but, due to the good reviews for the OPUS BT-C2000, I decided to also buy one of them for comparison. While I am not a battery charger expert and want a user-friendly and well -made battery charger to take care of my 2100 cycle Panasonic Sanyo AA and AAA batteries (the best), it was very clear to me which was the better battery charger:

Comments:

A) The MH-C9000 is larger (better for ventilation of the batteries) and heavier and really feels well made, while the BT-C2000 IS VERY LIGHT AND FEELS VERY CHEAPLY PRODUCED (see below).

B) The screen on the MH-C9000 is bright with large font sizes to automatically and clearly see each status (V input, mAh input, charge/discharge/rest and present capacity) of each battery consecutively and remains illuminated, while the BT-C2000 screen is annoyingly less bright, the fonts are much smaller, the light goes out soon after it is activated, and even when you repeatedly press the DISPLAY button, it does not give you the current status of each battery or show you at which stage of the program the batteries are in (i.e. discharge, charge or rest). The screen on the MH-C9000 is evenly illuminated while the BT-C2000 appears to have two small bulbs on the left side of the battery 1 screen and two on the right side of the battery 4 screen, while the central two screens therefore rely on these bulb and are therefore less bright!

C) A 12V 2A car port charging cable can also be obtained for the MH-C9000 from Amazon for $ 12.00 or for $10 from the very good Californian-based MAHA Energy web site (N.B. this cable is great for car or solar charging the MH-C9000(see below). By contrast, although they claim that a 12V 1A cable can be obtained for the BT-C2000, it is not available from Amazon and at the OPUS Chinese web site (on the Alibaba web site) which is very confusing to find the upgraded 2.1 version of the BT-C2000 charger and they appear to want you to buy a minimum of 100 of them (N.B. everything, including the BT-C2000 on that site, appears to be for wholesale)!

D) The MH-C9000 does not come with the C/D battery charging adaptors provided with the BT-C2000, but they fit on the MH-C9000 and can be bought separately via Amazon for $ 7.50 each:

The MH-C9000 (12V 2A = 24W) is also a much more powerful charger than the BT-C2000 (12V 1A = 12W) and therefore has a higher amp charge rate which is also therefore more suitable for charging high mAh capacity C and D batteries.

E) The AA and AAA batteries fit perfectly into the MH-C9000 and are well seated. By contrast, the AA slots were far too tight on the BT-C2000 and even put a dent in the metal of the negative pole of several of my Eneloop AA batteries, and also damaged the bottom side casing of two of them on removal. I have read a couple reviews which mentioned the same problems with this charger so BEWARE ABOUT THE POOR QUALITY COINTROL OF THIS MASS PRODUCED BT-C2000 CHARGER. I, however, used a small piece of plastic to bend the negative electrodes to a suitable level to correct this problem.

F) The larger size of the MH-C9000 allows for better ventilation of the batteries and this is increased using its built-in lift rod, which is not present on the BT-C2000. The MH-C9000 has rubber feet to prevent slipping even when the lift rod is used, while the BT-C2000 has slippery plastic feet which are part of the casing and therefore needs to be prevented from slipping when you raise one end to increase the ventilation to the lower side of the charger. I actually think that the BT-C2000 was supposed to have rubber feet inserted into these four circular depressions in the plastic casing, but were absent.

H) The MH-C9000 instruction sheet is clearer than that supplied with the BT-C1000 and explains everything (C, 0.5C, 0.2C, etc. values and which ones to use for charging and discharging cycles, etc.) to a beginner with examples displayed but also defaults on the correct charge and discharge for AA batteries in the REFRESH AND ANALYSE mode, and the MH-C9000 also has a BREAK-IN mode which is lacking in the BT-C2000. This BREAK-IN is recommended to be used for new or very old batteries but takes a long time. By contrast, in the BT-C2000 DISCHARGE-REFRESH mode surprisingly ONLY the discharge current is entered.

The large bright screen of the MH-C9000 allows the operator to clearly view the status of each battery throughout each cycle and at the end the final battery status is shown and the clear instructions ensure that anybody can easily select the appropriate charge and discharge currents for their batteries.

I) I also wished to have an intelligent battery charger for use in the car and particularly used via a solar panel. The very cheap construction of the BT-C2000 and lack of a OPUS-dedicated 12V 1A charge cable for it, convinced me that the MH-C9000 was by far the favorite for this task. For the solar option, I used an Instapark Mercury 27W folding solar panel

Instapark® Mercury27 Portable & Foldable 27 Watts Solar Battery Charger with DC 12V Output for Automotive Batteries & Dual DC 5V Standard USB Ports for iPhone, iPad, Android Smart Phone, Tablet Computer & Other Portable Device

to an inexpensive ($19.00) Powerstream PST-DC292 DC/DC convertor (obtained from PowerStream not Amazon) set at 12V output to reduce the solar panel 18V output to 12V for the input to the MH-C9000 battery charger. The connection from the PST-DC292 to the battery charger, however, needs another BixPower female (5.5 x 2.1/2.5 mm) to female car port connector ($ 10.00 each from Amazon) to connect it to the male car port input cable of the MH-C9000.

BiXPower Car Cigarette Lighter Female Socket to 5.5 x 2.5mm & 5.5 x 2.1mm Female Barrel Connector Adapter

The output from the PST-DC292 was 12.5V 2.5A (31.25W) in bright sunshine which has been fine for the MH-C9000 charger.

[N.B. The instruction sheet of the BT-C2000 repeatedly stated that this charger should never be used outdoors and I can really believe that, while the MH-C9000 sheet did not include this warning, and I believe that, with the correct precautions, it is O.K. to use it outdoors in dry conditions, or contained within a plastic waterproof box (In this way, I have successfully used it outdoors)!]

In conclusion, I believe the MH-C9000 is a much better made and user friendly battery charger while the BT-C2000 feels cheap and poorly mass-produced, does not have a lifting rod, does not have rubber feet, does not have a BREAK-IN mode, the 12V 1A car charging cable cannot be obtained from Amazon or easily from them in China (see correction above). While the BT-C2000 sells for $ 40.00 [now $ 30.00-35.00], I [strongly] believe that is well overpriced, while the MH-C9000 now sells for $ 53.00, and is very, very, very well worth the extra money!

The author declares that NO CONFLICTS OF INTEREST EXIST in the review of this product or any other product mentioned in this review.

Opus Tester Analyzer Battery Charger, 12V, Black