4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite a whisper, but a great filter
Published on October 28, 2010 by Surveyor

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Whisper of old...
I have used the Tetra Whisper filters on many different tanks for many years. I was quite sad to see them
apparently go away for a while. Seeing the filters available once again and I immediately bought a couple,
actually three now. Two have been returned and I am using the current one till I find a replacement.
The Whisper filters of old I thought were...
Published on June 29, 2011 by Steve

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite a whisper, but a great filter, October 28, 2010
This review is from: Tetra 25775 Whisper Power Filter 60, up to 60-Gallon (Misc.)
I have a 65 gallon tank which replaced a 20 I had owned for 3 years. I had the appropriate Whisper filter on that one so I got the larger version for this one. There is no such thing as a silent filter (unless it is in another room) but the whisper does a good job of keep noise to a minimu. If you have your water level right, you do not hear the waterfall effect that others have addressed.
Also, I replaced the additional media in the filter with a better mesh to control phosphates and (hopefully) cut down on algae, and there was plenty of room for this material along with the bags and charcoal.
I had looked at the more expensive cylinder filters but after assessing the cleaning problems, the leaking problems and the overall work involved, I chose to stick with the Whisper and spend my $$ on new fish and decorations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Raise your water level people.., January 10, 2013
Brian Knight (Dallas, TX, USA) - See all my reviews
This filter is great!! I just got it set up and running on my 60 gallon tank. I was worried it would be loud but those poor reviews turned out to be just like any other aquarium advice I see on the internet.. This is really a whisper, the filter is heavenly quiet. I am one of those people that will be driven nuts by a clicking powerhead or a vibration against the side of the tank. This thing is silent!!! If it sounds like a waterfall, its because the water is falling in.. RAISE YOUR WATER LEVEL...and also... 2+2=4

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, December 1, 2009
Works great. Handy slide in filter cartridges for easy and quick changes. Adjustable flow rate. Extra tubing for water intake inside tank. Super quiet! A quality product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & Very Versatile Filter, December 27, 2012
Fizgig (New York City) - See all my reviews
I've been using Whisper PFs for all my aquariums for over 20yrs and have never been disappointed by them. As with any filtration, you should always get a filter that's rated higher than what you need -- for example, if you have a 60 gallon aquarium, the filter's MINIMUM GPH (gallons per hour) rating should be no less than 80 GPH -- because all filters lose filtering capacity over time as media gets dirty and/or loses effectiveness. Aquariums housing particularly messy and/or big fish need filters that can turn the water volume over at least 3x per hour -- for example, a 60 gallon Goldfish aquarium needs a filter capable of no less than 180 GPH. It's for this reason that people have issues with filters not keep their aquariums clean.

Whisper PFs are exceptional! Very well constructed and most are very quiet. The Whisper 60 is the biggest model and is also the noisiest of the bunch. They're not insufferable, though, but you can hear them working compared to their smaller cousins. Usually the noise is caused by impeller assemblies not being seated properly and/or air being trapped in the impeller compartment. Should ALWAYS add the impeller assembly into the motor housing after adding water to that compartment so air doesn't get trapped inside. The cover tends to rattled from the vibration generated by the motor, but putting a rock or something like that on top of it eliminates that issue.

The Whisper 60 has a 2 compartment system which makes these filters extremely versatile! Using the filter pouches, you can add any media you want. I always keep one side stuffed with blue bonded media and sponge type media for beneficial bacterial to take on biological filtration which keeps the water crystal clear even with no chemical/mechanical media in use. The other compartment is used for chemical and mechanical filtration. Keep in mind that carbon by itself isn't 100% effective in keeping aquariums clean, so the carbon packets that come with the filter media for these filters isn't particularly useful -- especially since there is so little of it. I used PhosPure & Sea Gel and have also used Diamond Blend in the past for media.

To sum up, these are excellent filters and pretty quiet when setup & maintained properly. I've had 5 of these 60's so far and never had an issue with them. I also have the Junior and 30 model in operation currently. My 300+ gallon planted Goldfish aquarium has two of these 60s keeping it crystal clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've had a ton of these and they're almost idiot-proof, June 6, 2011
I have had a bunch of whisper filters, and I loved every one. I see one guy managed to not be able to comprehend how to get it started...there's always one. Whispers are good filters, one bad review does not a story make, I highly recommend these filters based on twenty years of experience keeping fresh and saltwater reef tanks (but not for reef tanks, they have their own requirements and box filters won't do it) For freshwater tanks, these are excellent filters, ok that's basically it in a nutshell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, February 23, 2011
Good filter, easy to set up. The water was changed about a week before I set up the filter so it was already a little cloudy. This filter brought a 20 gallon tank of slightly dirty water to crystal clear in less than 8 hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars There's Nothing Like a Whisper, March 14, 2011
I've been buying Whisper aquarium products for a number of years and I have to tell you I couldn't be happier with them. They ARE the quietest products on the market. Put them on/in your fish tank and they run so quietly you won't even know they're there. And this power filter lives up to its name. It's super quiet and it filters the water just as it should, leaving it crystal clear (unless you have a bacteria problem and then the only cure for that is to treat your tank). I especially like the design of the bio bags. If you want to add more charcoal or some ammo chips to take care of an ammonia problem, just open them up and add them to the bag. I give this product an A+.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whisper filter no so whispery, May 6, 2010
I have owned a whisper filter in the past and find them a superior product. So I was not hesitant to buy this one. The whisper does work better than most standard filter systems that come with aquariums these days. So thats why after 1 month I ditched the Aqueon filter system that came with the tank I purchased and switched to the Whisper filter. The only thing I would say that is negative is the sound... it isn't a whisper at all.. more like a water fall in your house. So if you find the sound of running water irritating this isn't the system for you. I find it soothing so it isn't a problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Whisper of old..., June 29, 2011
The Whisper filters of old I thought were quite aptly named since were it not being able to see the water movement
across the surface of the tank you would never even know they were running.

NOT the case now... the first one was so noisy I thought for sure there has to be some kind of defect. Returning
it and buyihng another. Well.. once again, incredibly noisy. Thinking third time was a charm I decided to try
one more. I don't know what Tetra has done to these filters but whatever it was, please UNDO it. Unless you meant
Whisper to be completely sarcastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars good ans simple to work, September 5, 2010
I have used this filter for years and they always worked well. The filters are priced reasonalbly if you shop. If things are not broke, don't fixem.