4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Turtles
I own 7 pet turtles. I have two red-eared sliders, four mud turtles and one map turtle. I use the Whisper 40i filters in all my turtle tanks. After trying several different types of filters (ie Zoo Med 501 and Reptofilter) for my turtle tanks, I have found that these work the best and are the easiest to use.

First of all, they do keep the water clean as long...
Published on July 11, 2009 by MST

2.0 out of 5 stars It would be perfect if....
Published on January 7, 2011 by Hannah

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Turtles, July 11, 2009
MST (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews

First of all, they do keep the water clean as long as you change the filter media regularly. How often it needs to be changed depends on the type of animal, or in my case turtle, that you own. It also depends on the amount of water in your habitat and other factors. The replacement media is fast to change and more inexpensive than the replacements for other turtle filters I've used.

The filter can be either hung on the side of the tank or completely suction cupped to the side. For functionality, I have found that tanks with shallow water do better with the filter sitting on the bottom of the tank and attached to the wall. Also, pets that are more likely to knock the filter down should have it attached to the wall instead of hung. When it falls in the water, the tank can become very dirty within a matter of hours. My sliders kept knocking one in the water and now the motor does not seem to work as well as it once did.

Make sure that your tank will have at least 4 inches of water in it or this filter will not work for you.

Overall, a solid product!

4.0 out of 5 stars beware of suction..., June 22, 2008
This review is from: Tetra 25816 Whisper In-Tank Filter with BioScrubber, 3 to 10-Gallon (Misc.)
I have two African dwarf frogs and was missing a frog one night.
I could not find her. I finally found her in the filter.
I have now learned through reading other web sites; it's best to put pantyhose or cheesecloth over a part of the filter, (use common sense on watching how it does filter so the filter will still do it's job) to protect your frog from becoming stuck.
My girl was saved.
The filter does work, just be careful and aware if missing an aquarium baby.

2.0 out of 5 stars It would be perfect if...., January 7, 2011
I first bought this filter for my 1.5 gallon tank that has a betta fish in it. It was the perfect size for the tank. It did a really good job at keeping the water in the tank clear. At about 8 months after I bought it, the water would only trickle out of the filter. I tried taking it apart, cleaning the filter out, putting it back together (as sometimes gunk builds up in my other filter that slows the amount of workload it can handle). No change. I originally planned to buy a different brand of filter, but I couldn't beat this price and still had some filter cartridges left over. I saw that other people have said that they have bought more than one with better luck. So, I decided to take the risk. I was curious to see what the problem was, so i tried substituting certain parts of the filter with the old one. The problem was definitely the little motor. For some reason it didn't push air through the filter as much as it did in the beginning.

Either way, I do like the filter and I hope this one holds out. Its perfect for a betta fish's tank- and I like the price.

------

Wrote that review on January 7, 2011 and it is now February 10, 2011 and the filter is no longer working the way it should. The water only trickles out of the filter, making it unable to do its job. I'm sick of having to deal with this.. I would just like my filter to work like it said it would!!! Don't buy this filter unless you want to replace it a month later....(This is the second one I have purchased with the same result.)

2.0 out of 5 stars so annoying, July 28, 2011
i had this filter for a grand total of a week before installing a new one, i would have taken it back to the store the same day if i had another option for a filter, however i went ahead and purchased the TOM Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph adjustable flow online (which is working perfectly by the way) and waited for delivery. so why is this filter so horrible?
1) the noise is unbearable, this tiny filter for a 3 gallon tank is louder than another filter i have for a 75 gallon tank! unbelievable
2) its made of cheap plastic parts, ( the "lid" broke off during assembly)
the ONLY good thing about this filter is the fact that it is gentle the current is very weak, suitable for my delicate finned male betta.
as for as how it does with actual filtration, for the week i had it, it kept the water clear and well circulated; as far as any long term use i wouldn't know about but honestly in my opinion i wouldn't be surprised if this thing didn't last more than a month, its that flimsy.

3.0 out of 5 stars tank filter, February 13, 2011
Robin M Smith (Rochester Hills, MI) - See all my reviews
Had to buy 2 of these within 2 years, they don't hold up long enough for the price you have to pay, motor quit, it should last longer than what it does.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, if you replace the air pump, July 20, 2011
This filter is a clever design using the airlift principle, the rising bubbles force water up the intake tube, flows through the filter cartridge, and returns water back into the tank.

However, like everyone else says the air pump that comes with this filter is pretty junky and not powerful enough. Filters like these need a good air pump, I personally use the AirPod® Air Pump w/Battery Back-Up for up to 55 Gallon Tanks as it's heavy duty enough and lets you adjust the air flow. You can also use a less expensive air pump (or any other reliable one), as long as it's powerful enough it should do the job.

The filter itself is simply built in design but seems sturdy enough (the lid was kind of flimsy) but it does the job keeping the water clean and circulated. If you plan on getting this product, I suggest getting a more reliable air pump and it should work the way it's advertised. I also wish this filter could be sold alone, without the junky air pump included. It would make the price even lower and let people choose which pump they wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars best filter ever, January 14, 2011
I bought this from a local supermarket (meijers) about 2 and a 1/2 years ago, when i first got my aquarium. it is lasted sense then with absolute zero problems. well, actually it does have the tendency to get small, weak, and/ or sick fish stock to the intake grill, but that can be expected from any good filter. It has kept the water crystle clear. When i first turned it on, it was so silent that i thought it was broken. If your a begining fish keeper, i strongly recomend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beta Fish Tank, January 10, 2013
Mr. Six (Memphis, TN) - See all my reviews
If you have a small fish, like a Beta, it is nicer to keep them in an actual tank than a bowl or cup. It will keep the fish alive longer too. This filter is easy to use & changing out the charcoal pouches is simple. My small child is able to do this on her own. The filter is relatively quiet and easy to install.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 10 Gallon Aquarium for Amateur or Beginner or Even Professional, February 1, 2009
I just received the item from [...] yesterday. It comes with a 10 gallon glass aquarium, whisper power filter 10,biobag filter catridge, fluorescent bulb, and also a small sample of AquaSafe and TetraMin food flake from Tetra. These are reasons why you should have this aquarium to start with:

1)The 10 gallon deluxe kit is all complete set to start with. I opened up the box, unpacked everything, read the manual for minutes and poof, my aquarium is all-ready! The filter is smooth, quiet and works efficiently.

2)The fluorescent light is all enough to lighten every angle of your aquarium. It can also gives some heats to your aquarium and really looks shining and bright during the nights.

3)After running it for a day, I add the gravels, live plants, Tetra AquaSafe to treat the tap water, also i bought a bacteria supplement from pet store to introduce the tank with useful bacterias.

4)After finishing step 4, I went to PetSmart and bought 4 guppies. I put them all in the aquarium and they swim in it happily. The temperature is already around 68-74F, without using heater. So, the fish are happy.

Conclusions, this Tetra 10 Deluxe kit is awesome! Buy it for your kids or yourself for full satisfaction!

4.0 out of 5 stars Whisper In-Tank Filter 40I--Great but some minor problems, now solved easily., December 12, 2012
R. Shansby "rjs" (silver spring, md) - See all my reviews
Purchased 2 units--One each for 30gal. & 20gal. tank. No problem getting oversized units. Only problem occurs when mounting in tank where water level is at top. Used a small piece of wood to mount properly; however, as filter accumulates material, the filter starts to splatter some water. The 40i should have been designed with a cover to prevent this. I have simply placed a small refrigerator storage container over the filter top, and this seems to be the effective solution. Note that the filter is extremely quiet. I am continuing the use of air pumps in those aquaria.

Rate and Discover Movies