5.0 out of 5 stars Two Thumbs Way Up!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:31 Mins
I have bought several different filters and waterfall pumps in the past and this Decorative Reptofilter is "Hands Down" the best purchase I have made!

Had it going on a month now and the water is still crystal clear with only one filter change.

If you shut it off and then turn back on the flow is immediate (no priming)...
Published on June 27, 2010 by Jersey Chuck

3.0 out of 5 stars Tetra Decorative Reptile Filter
I was using a Fluvial filter for my turtle tank. It worked great, but had to be taken apart to clean each week, and was kinda a pain in the butt. My turtle liked the water that squirted out.

I needed something easier to clean while I recovered from surgery, so tried this. The reviews had been mixed, but I bought one anyway.

Super easy to set up...
Published on August 9, 2011 by SS

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Thumbs Way Up!, June 27, 2010
Jersey Chuck (San Francisco, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tetra 25905 Decorative Reptile Filter for Aquariums up to 55 Gallons (Misc.)
Length:: 0:31 Mins

If you shut it off and then turn back on the flow is immediate (no priming).

The filters are a breeze to change.

I have it set up in a 20 gallon long Terrarium (1/2 water 1/2 land) with four Fire belly Toads. Before that I had two small Turtles in it (since moved to a larger aquarium) and the water stayed cleaner than using my Cascade 100 Power Filter!

For replacement filters order the Tetra 26160 Whisper Bio-Bag Cartridge, Unassembled, Medium, 12-Pack they are way less expensive and you can reuse the plastic frames from the filters that come with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice filter system, February 5, 2010
Works great. I have it in a 40 gallon tank with about 20 gal of water. The turtles seem to enjoy climbing on the rocky exterior of the filter. I was able to use the regular Tetra Whisper filter cartridges which are cheaper than the reptofilters with this filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice way to hide a filter., December 17, 2009
smartypants "pantsonfire" (HotterthanaHabanjero, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I have had this filter for about three months in one end of a standard 10 gallon aquarium, which houses a small newt. It's a nice way to hide the filter away, and to keep delicate amphibians out of trouble, as they have a tendency to explore the insides of dark places like filter housings.

It provides some dry land area, with an easy climb out of the water. It is also much taller than other in-tank filters that I have tried, so the water level can be deep enough for the health of aquatic animals like my newt.

It takes two standard sized filter cartridges, which are used by many other filters, so they are relatively cheap and easy to find. The top of the rock lifts away, allowing easy access to change the filter cartridges without the need to tear the habitat apart. It also has handy fill lines on the back side of the rock, which mark the high and low fill levels.

The top fits snugly over the waterfall outlet, so there is no danger of small animals getting into the filter and becoming injured. The largest gaps into the filter housing are the intake holes along the bottom of the rock, which are about 3/8" in diameter. It would be very easy to block them with mesh if you have smaller animals.

I am considering purchasing a second one for my firebellied toad habitat. I definitely recommend this filter. It was well thought out and is of good overall design and quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice filter, March 11, 2009
I recently bought this filter for my 40 gallon tank. It looks very nice in the corner of the tank. My turtle often swims over and sits near it, resting her legs on the side of it. The filter is very quiet, I do not hear it at all. The water fall lets off a tranquil sound of running water. Friends and family have commented on how nice it looks in my tank and how they love the sound of the running water.

I gave this filter 4 out of 5 stars because I do have a problem with cloudy water. I change the water in my tank once a week. My cloudy water problem though could be a result of my turtles food, not the filter. I am currently working on correcting this problem.

Overall, I am glad I bought this filter and would recommend it to others!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased..., December 28, 2010
I bought this filter after rescuing two adult RES turtles. So far I'm really liking it. I believe my turtles love it too. A day or so after putting them in, my boy managed to climb up to bask on the top and since then it's pretty much his rock. My girl's bigger, so she has her own basking dock, though she too has managed to climb on it on occasion, though I try to discourage it. I have it set up for 40 gal breeder, but plan on getting a larger breeder soon since I have 2 adults, and at times they seem a bit crowded. But as I said, so far so good. The filter uses 2 cartridges and so far I notice that they last for about 2 weeks, give or take. Turtles are notorious for creating a lot of waste, and as I mentioned already, I have 2 adults, so the fact that I don't have to change it every week as I was warned, it's great. For others it may last longer, depending on what you're gonna put in there. The motor is small and you really don't hear it, the dripping/flowing water is another thing, but by now we're so used to it,we barely register it. And it does lull every so often. Oh and did I mention it looks really nice in the tank? I have a nice plot plant next to the aquarium on one side and the leaves fall over the mesh-- and along w/ the few plastic ones on the tank itself, it really makes it eye-catching. The only thing I have an issue w/ is the Disposable Filter Cartriges Tetra provides. They only sell 3 cartridges, when this filter takes 2. Perhaps the others don't require double, so I'm gonna try the 12 pack BioBag they have here in Amazon. Hopefully there isn't any trouble and it'll save me the extra $$ I would spend buying the 3 packs.

5.0 out of 5 stars The pump is small but works fine for my 40 gallon tank, October 28, 2014
Bought it for $30 and came with 2 filter bags and a pump for inside the filter. The pump is small but works fine for my 40 gallon tank. You can control the flow of the waterfall if it makes too much noise. 2.5 inch long turtles had some trouble climbing up it but seemed to figure it out after a week. Very sturdy and made of ceramic-like materials. Had it in a 10 gallon tank (roughly took a third of the space) and now have it in a 40 gallon breeder. Works great for both sizes. The filter has a minimum and maximum water level marked on the sides. On a 40 gallon breeder this gives my turtles about 6 inches of water to swim in. Two of my turtles can fit side by side on the rock with space left over. Pictures are when I had it in my 10 gallon tank.

5.0 out of 5 stars This makes a great waterfall feature and filter for my fire bellied toads tank!, June 21, 2013
This product is really easy to set up (my 8 year old put it together for me). I love the way it works, looks, and it isn't noisy. It provides just the soothing sound of a bit of running water. I have it in a 20-gallon-long aquarium, which the dimensions are 30" x 12" x 12". I uploaded a picture so you can see what it looks like. It fits in perfectly in the corner and looks really nice. Amazon's price was significantly cheaper than what my local pet store was asking. I combined this product with a Penn Plax Decorative Turtle Pier Floating/Basking Platform, Large which is a perfect lounge/feeding area, a background cling, a screen top for the 20-gallon-long aquarium, a few dollar-store bags of river rocks for the bottom (you don't want anything that the toads can accidentally injest), a cheap plastic plant, a rather heavy rock/hide on the turtle-pier (along with some of the river rocks) for extra space to hide and decoration (the pier is still completely sturdy under this weight), and a couple of philodendron starts given to me by a co-worker. I think it is a pretty great set-up.

My only issue with this product is that it comes with a black-rubber-ring that is supposed to go around the tube that the water comes out of, and fit snuggly into place on the "rock" portion. Mine would not fit snuggly, but it still seems to work just fine. There were also a few small chipped pieces on the inside compartment of the waterfall feature when I first got it. They were not anything concerning, just small pieces that I removed before placing it in my tank.

I've had the product running for about a month now, and it still keeps my water looking great and I've had no issues.

The filters are cheap and easy to replace. I am ordering these: Tetra 26160 Whisper Bio-Bag Cartridge, Unassembled, Medium, 12-Pack

3.0 out of 5 stars Tetra Decorative Reptile Filter, August 9, 2011

Super easy to set up and looks really good. Its way easier to clean than my Fluvial. But....I can go longer between cleanings than I could with the Fluvial if I need to, but the water is never as crystal clear as the Fluvial it was the first few days after I cleaned it.

It got me through recovery, but my turtle misses the jet of water squirting her. I do love the ease of changing the filters. So I am giving it an okey rating. Not great, not terrible. Maybe it would be better for a smaller turtle. My res is pretty big.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, July 31, 2011
The filter works great. It's keeping the water clean and even my teeny turtles have started making the climb to the top. They are only 1.5 inches so I didn't think they'd be able to do it. This is not their primary basking area, but nice for a little challenge and extra exercise. I suggest keeping the water level toward the maximum fill line in order to use as much surface area of the filter. When I had the water level toward the lower end the filter mucked up rather quickly, as dirty water was only passing through the lower half of the filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tetra Decorative Reptile Filter for Aquariums up to 55 Gallons, October 8, 2010
I have been struggling with keeping my turtle water clean. When I first saw this product my main demeanor was that something this nice could work so good. After setting it up in my not so clean turtle water, within about eight hours my water was clear. I am so happy with this product! It was easy to set-up and worth the price, and the turtles love it. They use it also as a basking area.