5.0 out of 5 stars Two Thumbs Way Up!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:30 Mins
I have bought several different filters and waterfall pumps in the past and this Decorative Reptofilter is "Hands Down" the best purchase I have made!

Had it going on a month now and the water is still crystal clear with only one filter change.

If you shut it off and then turn back on the flow is immediate (no priming)...
Published on June 27, 2010 by Jersey Chuck

3.0 out of 5 stars Tetra Decorative Reptile Filter
I was using a Fluvial filter for my turtle tank. It worked great, but had to be taken apart to clean each week, and was kinda a pain in the butt. My turtle liked the water that squirted out.

I needed something easier to clean while I recovered from surgery, so tried this. The reviews had been mixed, but I bought one anyway.

Super easy to set up...
Published on August 9, 2011 by SS

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Thumbs Way Up!, June 27, 2010
Jersey Chuck (San Francisco, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tetra 25905 Decorative Reptile Filter for Aquariums up to 55 Gallons (Misc.)
Length:: 0:30 Mins

If you shut it off and then turn back on the flow is immediate (no priming).

The filters are a breeze to change.

I have it set up in a 20 gallon long Terrarium (1/2 water 1/2 land) with four Fire belly Toads. Before that I had two small Turtles in it (since moved to a larger aquarium) and the water stayed cleaner than using my Cascade 100 Power Filter!

For replacement filters order the Tetra 26160 Whisper Bio-Bag Cartridge, Unassembled, Medium, 12-Pack they are way less expensive and you can reuse the plastic frames from the filters that come with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice filter system, February 5, 2010
Works great. I have it in a 40 gallon tank with about 20 gal of water. The turtles seem to enjoy climbing on the rocky exterior of the filter. I was able to use the regular Tetra Whisper filter cartridges which are cheaper than the reptofilters with this filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice way to hide a filter., December 17, 2009
smartypants "pantsonfire" (HotterthanaHabanjero, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I have had this filter for about three months in one end of a standard 10 gallon aquarium, which houses a small newt. It's a nice way to hide the filter away, and to keep delicate amphibians out of trouble, as they have a tendency to explore the insides of dark places like filter housings.

It provides some dry land area, with an easy climb out of the water. It is also much taller than other in-tank filters that I have tried, so the water level can be deep enough for the health of aquatic animals like my newt.

It takes two standard sized filter cartridges, which are used by many other filters, so they are relatively cheap and easy to find. The top of the rock lifts away, allowing easy access to change the filter cartridges without the need to tear the habitat apart. It also has handy fill lines on the back side of the rock, which mark the high and low fill levels.

The top fits snugly over the waterfall outlet, so there is no danger of small animals getting into the filter and becoming injured. The largest gaps into the filter housing are the intake holes along the bottom of the rock, which are about 3/8" in diameter. It would be very easy to block them with mesh if you have smaller animals.

I am considering purchasing a second one for my firebellied toad habitat. I definitely recommend this filter. It was well thought out and is of good overall design and quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice filter, March 11, 2009
I recently bought this filter for my 40 gallon tank. It looks very nice in the corner of the tank. My turtle often swims over and sits near it, resting her legs on the side of it. The filter is very quiet, I do not hear it at all. The water fall lets off a tranquil sound of running water. Friends and family have commented on how nice it looks in my tank and how they love the sound of the running water.

I gave this filter 4 out of 5 stars because I do have a problem with cloudy water. I change the water in my tank once a week. My cloudy water problem though could be a result of my turtles food, not the filter. I am currently working on correcting this problem.

Overall, I am glad I bought this filter and would recommend it to others!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased..., December 28, 2010
I bought this filter after rescuing two adult RES turtles. So far I'm really liking it. I believe my turtles love it too. A day or so after putting them in, my boy managed to climb up to bask on the top and since then it's pretty much his rock. My girl's bigger, so she has her own basking dock, though she too has managed to climb on it on occasion, though I try to discourage it. I have it set up for 40 gal breeder, but plan on getting a larger breeder soon since I have 2 adults, and at times they seem a bit crowded. But as I said, so far so good. The filter uses 2 cartridges and so far I notice that they last for about 2 weeks, give or take. Turtles are notorious for creating a lot of waste, and as I mentioned already, I have 2 adults, so the fact that I don't have to change it every week as I was warned, it's great. For others it may last longer, depending on what you're gonna put in there. The motor is small and you really don't hear it, the dripping/flowing water is another thing, but by now we're so used to it,we barely register it. And it does lull every so often. Oh and did I mention it looks really nice in the tank? I have a nice plot plant next to the aquarium on one side and the leaves fall over the mesh-- and along w/ the few plastic ones on the tank itself, it really makes it eye-catching. The only thing I have an issue w/ is the Disposable Filter Cartriges Tetra provides. They only sell 3 cartridges, when this filter takes 2. Perhaps the others don't require double, so I'm gonna try the 12 pack BioBag they have here in Amazon. Hopefully there isn't any trouble and it'll save me the extra $$ I would spend buying the 3 packs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tetra Decorative Reptile Filter, August 9, 2011

Super easy to set up and looks really good. Its way easier to clean than my Fluvial. But....I can go longer between cleanings than I could with the Fluvial if I need to, but the water is never as crystal clear as the Fluvial it was the first few days after I cleaned it.

It got me through recovery, but my turtle misses the jet of water squirting her. I do love the ease of changing the filters. So I am giving it an okey rating. Not great, not terrible. Maybe it would be better for a smaller turtle. My res is pretty big.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tetra Decorative Reptile Filter for Aquariums up to 55 Gallons, October 8, 2010
I have been struggling with keeping my turtle water clean. When I first saw this product my main demeanor was that something this nice could work so good. After setting it up in my not so clean turtle water, within about eight hours my water was clear. I am so happy with this product! It was easy to set-up and worth the price, and the turtles love it. They use it also as a basking area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, January 16, 2011
In comparison to some other filters I've seen, this is very beautiful! I love the waterfall feature which keeps the tank crystal clear, and the inside pump is surprisingly quiet. Unfortunately, my Red Eared Slider cannot make the climb to the top. This is a very LARGE filter so you will need at least a 40 gallon tank. The pros outweigh the cons for me, so I just set up a separate basking area for my turtle.

Update: after purchasing a completely separate basking dock, http://www.amazon.com/Reptology%C2%AE-Large-Turtle-Floating-Platform/dp/B003U83ERU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1296973511&sr=8-2 ..I found my RES basking on top of this filter! oh well...I guess he'll just have a choice of platforms, the little brat!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Cool looking Filter, October 11, 2010
This filter looks great when placed in a tank. I've had it for 8 months and inside a 25 gallon tank with 4 turtles. The pump is strong, and when you place the lid on correctly the water is very quiet when it runs down the rocky exterior. It hold two filter in place inside but i manage to squeeze a third one just in case. My turtles love to climb around on it, but smaller younger turtles might have a hard time to climb this. My only complaint after using this is that the bottom area of the filter is loosing some coloration maybe due to the water cleaner i apply to the water in the tank, or maybe because of the turtle's secretions. Either way its a very good filter. The water in the tank does have to be aleast 4" deep to properly work at the minimum.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than lives up to, September 26, 2011
This is the bset filter I have ever owned. I have two FBT's and one tree frog and three small fish in my 10gal tank. I have had this filter for three mounths now and I am now changing the filter for the first time. Not because the water in dirty but because the filter pads are full of dirt. It is so easy to change them it literally takes 20 seconds. You can not go wrong with this filter.

Rate and Discover Movies