5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Filters
Published on May 9, 2011 by Diver Ed

2.0 out of 5 stars Did I get a Lemon?
So far the seams in 2 of the bags have come apart on me while rinsing the charcoal. This is the first time so many bags have come apart in one box (and I still have 4 bags left...), and I've been using this brand for years. I hope the quality isn't going down.
Published 19 months ago by Patricia A. Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Filters, May 9, 2011
This review is from: Tetra 26164 Whisper Bio-Bag Cartridge, Unassembled, Large, 12-Pack (Misc.)
Everyone is going to "prepackaged" filter cartridges. I prefer the flexibility of putting whatever I want into the filters. I prefer 1/3 activated charcoal and 2/3 ammo chips. This keeps the tank clean and also keeps the ammonia down since I keep a heavy load of fish in my tank. I can't seem to find these filters in my pet store, so I get them online. I change my filters every two weeks, so when I run low, I order more and they are delivered before I need them. I highly recommend these filters.

5.0 out of 5 stars MAKE MORE EFFECTIVE --- ADD more activated charcoal inside bag, October 10, 2011
I have found making my own filters allows me to add more activated charcoal carbon filter media. The small package found in most filters does not (in my opinion) clean enough because they have only about a handful of filter media inside.

DO YOU WANT BETTER FILTERIZATION?:
I now use the unassembled filter bags -- I add enough activated charcoal to FILL the filter from bottom to top of the filter sac - then the water flows thru the charcoal and NOT around it. BE SURE TO rinse the filter with water to remove loose charcoal before re-installing in the filter frame.

HOW I MAINTENANCE THE TANK:
I maintenance the tank weekly or bi-weekly, first I remove the decorative accents from the tank so I can clean the rock by a gentle stirring motion,(being careful not to bump into the fish) then I loosen debris in rock with the tank water siphon vacuum tube - removing 1/4 the water. I wipe the glass with clean paper towel if needed to remove salts or other debris that accumulates on the glass, I add some fresh water to top off the tank, add de-chlorination, test the water (using a water test kit) and change the filter after filtering with old filter for 45 mins - 1 hr to remove the majority of debris loosen from gravel. That routine seems to keep the tank clean and the goldfish healthy.

BEFORE vs AFTER: I use to buy pre-made, and had fair results for cleaning but after I noticed the pre-made have very little charcoal in the filter sac, I decided to make my own and add more filter charcoal. Now that I have increased the amount of filter charcoal (they call it activated carbon) media, the tank water is MUCH cleaner - at least 50% cleaner overall.

KEEPING A CLEAN TANK SEEMS TO HELP FISH WITH SWIM BLADDER DISEASE: Goldfish may gulp and burp air to alter the pressure in the swim bladder. I have one fancy goldfish that gets an air in the bladder (this bladder disease leads to problems where the fish has trouble with buoyancy in the water -- this is more like a temporary condition that can be managed.) If the fish seems floats up to the top while swimming and seems to lay on side or back after floating to top (this may happen ccasionally because it gets air in the belly)- I have read online keeping the tank clean helps prevent this often genetic buoyancy disorder
HELPFUL TIPS: I also try to add the food in the water downward stream to prevent top feeding which encourages air in the belly intake.

GREEN PEAS TRICK MAY HELP swim bladder buoyancy:

1) Defrost 1 to 2 frozen peas. The peas must be very soft.
2) Gently squeeze the peas to free them from their skins. Discard the skins.
3) Put the skinless peas in the fish tank. Allow the affected fish to eat at least 1 of the 2 peas. If the fish will not eat the peas, remove the peas and try again later.

Read more ABOUT FISH BLADDER BUOYANCY: This green pea method that seems to help the bladder syndrome rather quickly(for my fish this seems usually removes the floating symptom in a couple hours).
==>For more info google these words: "fish bladder disease green peas"

FINAL THOUGHT:
I found that often I can get a better deal (lower price) buying through AMAZON than the pet store I have checked the prices with several pet stores vs AMAZON, so if you plan ahead you can order the items and have them ready to use, when needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good filters, not enough charcoal, August 17, 2012
I've been using these filters for at least a year, and the unassembled filters are a bargain compared to the pre-assembled. The filters definitely catch a good amount of impurities, so much so I'm finding myself replacing them after a week, even after turning them around, which does buy you another couple of days. I use them in the larger dual Marineland Penguin Power Filter, so I go through quite a few of the Bio Bag filters. My only complaint is the relatively small amount of charcoal that comes with each filter bag. To supplement the charcoal, I add a bit (not a lot) of the Marineland PA0392 Diamond Blend Activated Carbon/Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals, 50-Ounce, 1417-Gram, found here:
I believe this blend compliments the charcoal, while at the same time using more of the space available in the pouches. Also, if you find the little plastic clips that seal the top of the bag starting to loosen up, I've substituted one of those little metal clips typically used to hold sheets of paper together that you pinch to open, like these:
Anyway, I hope someone finds these suggestions useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy and Better than the ALL IN ONE filters by TETRA, August 7, 2011
I own a Tetra 100 gph internal filter for my Turtle tank. It takes the large filter cartridge. I replace them almost once a week. At first I tried Tetra's newer all in one type, where you don't have to add the charcoal and there is no filter frame to deal with. I had lot of trouble with this and sometimes it got clogged up too quickly because it would sag a little. Stay with Tetra's traditional style and save money by installing the filter onto the frame and add the charcoal. It's less convenient but things work out better. The 12 pack at Amazon is about a $1 each filter which is A LOT less than the single pack or any packages Tetra sells. So if you have a LARGE Tetra filter (internal or external), this "old school" filter package is better and a lot less money than all the others Tetra sells.

5.0 out of 5 stars comes with only one frame, April 21, 2011
this is the best deal I've found on these filters, and I like them much better than the pre-made kind. The rigid plastic frame fits snugly in the filtering machine, instead of flopping around like the soft pre-mades. They only take a few seconds to assemble-very simple. Just be aware you only get one frame-I didn't notice and had to order three more boxes for my 55-gal. tank with two double filters. No big deal-I'm set for a while now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for keeping water clean, July 14, 2007
I use these in a 29 gallon tank and they work great. i never have a problem with my water being dirty. One of the really nice things about these filters are that you can add a different kind of Carbon if you need to. My ammonia levels started to rise (my fault not the filters) so i was able to put in the ammonia removing carbon instead of the regular stuff without a hassle

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective!, February 14, 2014
This is a great product and it works well. Once a month I remove the bag, replace with a new one, and rinse the used bag under hot water and brush the "gunk" off. I let it drain and then place it in the sun to dry. After the bag is dry I place it in the back of the box. This way I rotate them through and end up using each bag about three times. The first time I cleaned a bag it came loose and I struggled with it to return to normal and finally did so. Since then I've always held the top of the bag when cleaning and the problem hasn't been repeated. I will continue to use these filters. Tetra 26164 Whisper Bio-Bag Cartridge, Unassembled, Large, 12-Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price... but small surprise, February 14, 2011
Great Filters for great price...
I was kind of surprised at the fact that i had to make the filters myself
by putting the carbon in the sleeves and all.. but not a complaint just was new since
the ones at the story usually come already made...
Im loving it... Great buy!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Did I get a Lemon?, January 20, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Cartridges, March 12, 2013
These are very easy to replace and/or rinse. I would recommend these and have used for about 2 years now.

Rate and Discover Movies