4.0 out of 5 stars Great product; but get your sizing right
Just a word of caution to buyers who are unsure of sizing. this filter measures 3.5" x 5". the product description listed is not accurate and is actually the packing size. Otherwise a great product.
Published on February 18, 2012 by ahtas

2.0 out of 5 stars Did I get a Lemon?
So far the seams in 2 of the bags have come apart on me while rinsing the charcoal. This is the first time so many bags have come apart in one box (and I still have 4 bags left...), and I've been using this brand for years. I hope the quality isn't going down.
Published 23 months ago by Patricia A. Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product; but get your sizing right, February 18, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Filter Cartridge, June 1, 2008
I am always happy with my Amazon purchases and this one was no different. However one has to make sure that the right cartridge size is selected as the Whisper Bio-Bags have changed their sizes. The regular is now Large and the Junior is now the Medium. Double check your whisper size requirement as I now have 12 cartridges to find good use for...no biggie I'll always have use for Whisper cartridges at this price...oh by the way EXCELLENT PRICE!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPER cheap compared to pre-assembled ones!, December 28, 2011
When ordering these I was afraid it would be a complete hassle to assemble them. Turns out it takes less than two minutes and is SUPER easy. All you do is stick the frame into the bag, pour the carbon in, clip the frame closed and pop it into your filter. Note that it comes with only one plastic frame, so when replacing you need to take it apart and save the frame. Not a big deal; after assembling this one, I took apart the pre-assembled one I was replacing and found that nothing additional goes into the assembly of the ones that are sold assembled. I was able to save the frame from that one, so I'd have an extra just in case. The same exact frame and clip are used. In light of this, the price of these is awesome. You get a year's supply (provided you need them for just one filter) for the price you'd get 2 or 3 assembled ones. Such a HUGE discount for SO LITTLE additional effort. I noticed some people complaining about differences in sizing. There is no difference, unless you're used to the different name for the sizes from a while ago. Medium = Junior apparently, and it's written on the box. But I don't see that name for the sizing of this brand at the pet store anymore. If you're currently buying the assembled medium ones, these are the ones you need to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Filters, May 9, 2011
This review is from: Tetra 26164 Whisper Bio-Bag Cartridge, Unassembled, Large, 12-Pack (Misc.)
Everyone is going to "prepackaged" filter cartridges. I prefer the flexibility of putting whatever I want into the filters. I prefer 1/3 activated charcoal and 2/3 ammo chips. This keeps the tank clean and also keeps the ammonia down since I keep a heavy load of fish in my tank. I can't seem to find these filters in my pet store, so I get them online. I change my filters every two weeks, so when I run low, I order more and they are delivered before I need them. I highly recommend these filters.

5.0 out of 5 stars MAKE MORE EFFECTIVE --- ADD more activated charcoal inside bag, October 10, 2011
I have found making my own filters allows me to add more activated charcoal carbon filter media. The small package found in most filters does not (in my opinion) clean enough because they have only about a handful of filter media inside.

DO YOU WANT BETTER FILTERIZATION?:
I now use the unassembled filter bags -- I add enough activated charcoal to FILL the filter from bottom to top of the filter sac - then the water flows thru the charcoal and NOT around it. BE SURE TO rinse the filter with water to remove loose charcoal before re-installing in the filter frame.

HOW I MAINTENANCE THE TANK:
I maintenance the tank weekly or bi-weekly, first I remove the decorative accents from the tank so I can clean the rock by a gentle stirring motion,(being careful not to bump into the fish) then I loosen debris in rock with the tank water siphon vacuum tube - removing 1/4 the water. I wipe the glass with clean paper towel if needed to remove salts or other debris that accumulates on the glass, I add some fresh water to top off the tank, add de-chlorination, test the water (using a water test kit) and change the filter after filtering with old filter for 45 mins - 1 hr to remove the majority of debris loosen from gravel. That routine seems to keep the tank clean and the goldfish healthy.

BEFORE vs AFTER: I use to buy pre-made, and had fair results for cleaning but after I noticed the pre-made have very little charcoal in the filter sac, I decided to make my own and add more filter charcoal. Now that I have increased the amount of filter charcoal (they call it activated carbon) media, the tank water is MUCH cleaner - at least 50% cleaner overall.

KEEPING A CLEAN TANK SEEMS TO HELP FISH WITH SWIM BLADDER DISEASE: Goldfish may gulp and burp air to alter the pressure in the swim bladder. I have one fancy goldfish that gets an air in the bladder (this bladder disease leads to problems where the fish has trouble with buoyancy in the water -- this is more like a temporary condition that can be managed.) If the fish seems floats up to the top while swimming and seems to lay on side or back after floating to top (this may happen ccasionally because it gets air in the belly)- I have read online keeping the tank clean helps prevent this often genetic buoyancy disorder
HELPFUL TIPS: I also try to add the food in the water downward stream to prevent top feeding which encourages air in the belly intake.

GREEN PEAS TRICK MAY HELP swim bladder buoyancy:

1) Defrost 1 to 2 frozen peas. The peas must be very soft.
2) Gently squeeze the peas to free them from their skins. Discard the skins.
3) Put the skinless peas in the fish tank. Allow the affected fish to eat at least 1 of the 2 peas. If the fish will not eat the peas, remove the peas and try again later.

Read more ABOUT FISH BLADDER BUOYANCY: This green pea method that seems to help the bladder syndrome rather quickly(for my fish this seems usually removes the floating symptom in a couple hours).
==>For more info google these words: "fish bladder disease green peas"

FINAL THOUGHT:
I found that often I can get a better deal (lower price) buying through AMAZON than the pet store I have checked the prices with several pet stores vs AMAZON, so if you plan ahead you can order the items and have them ready to use, when needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Replacement Filters for the Tetra Decorative Reptile Filter, April 21, 2011
Jersey Chuck (San Francisco, Ca) - See all my reviews
I own a Tetra Decorative Reptile Filter for Aquariums up to 55 Gallons and wasn't sure if these were the correct replacements for the filter, they work perfect!

I was buying the Tetra ReptoFilter Disposable Filter Cartridges,Medium, 3 Pack (Disposable) for between 7 and 13 dollars (For three) and accumulated about 20 used ones. I'm glad I held onto them because the "Reusable" plastic frames are identical and now my cost is a buck apiece, saving me more than 50%.

Very easy to to assemble!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good filters, not enough charcoal, August 17, 2012
I've been using these filters for at least a year, and the unassembled filters are a bargain compared to the pre-assembled. The filters definitely catch a good amount of impurities, so much so I'm finding myself replacing them after a week, even after turning them around, which does buy you another couple of days. I use them in the larger dual Marineland Penguin Power Filter, so I go through quite a few of the Bio Bag filters. My only complaint is the relatively small amount of charcoal that comes with each filter bag. To supplement the charcoal, I add a bit (not a lot) of the Marineland PA0392 Diamond Blend Activated Carbon/Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals, 50-Ounce, 1417-Gram, found here:
I believe this blend compliments the charcoal, while at the same time using more of the space available in the pouches. Also, if you find the little plastic clips that seal the top of the bag starting to loosen up, I've substituted one of those little metal clips typically used to hold sheets of paper together that you pinch to open, like these:
Anyway, I hope someone finds these suggestions useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy and Better than the ALL IN ONE filters by TETRA, August 7, 2011
I own a Tetra 100 gph internal filter for my Turtle tank. It takes the large filter cartridge. I replace them almost once a week. At first I tried Tetra's newer all in one type, where you don't have to add the charcoal and there is no filter frame to deal with. I had lot of trouble with this and sometimes it got clogged up too quickly because it would sag a little. Stay with Tetra's traditional style and save money by installing the filter onto the frame and add the charcoal. It's less convenient but things work out better. The 12 pack at Amazon is about a $1 each filter which is A LOT less than the single pack or any packages Tetra sells. So if you have a LARGE Tetra filter (internal or external), this "old school" filter package is better and a lot less money than all the others Tetra sells.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparing Tetra -vs- Repto filters, October 30, 2011
Great product and the best value compared to other filters... This is the exact same product as the Repto Filter. I bought a year supply and in the end I saved over $110.00...

Repto filters = 3 bags for $11.00

Tetra Filters = 12 bags for $12.00

Hope this helps!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars These work great!, April 14, 2013
I almost didn't buy these because I couldn't imagine they could be as good as the pre-made ones. But all the reviews here are right - you just pop these together in a few seconds and you're ready to go, for a fraction of the cost of the pre-made filters. They're of the same quality as far as I can tell, just in less glamorous packaging. Try these!