5.0 out of 5 stars Great heater for saltwater or freshwater aquariums
Published on January 11, 2012 by Kameron

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this unless you want to kill your fish
Published on June 17, 2011 by Brie

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this unless you want to kill your fish, June 17, 2011
This review is from: Tetra 26447 Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt (Misc.)
I wish I could give this product a worse score than 1 star. Purchased this heater from Wal-mart in a pinch because the heater that came with the aquarium broke (was a very cheap one) and I didn't want the temperature to drop since it was winter. Kept an eye on the thing for the first few weeks of having it and everything seemed to be ok. This week the dumb thing short circuited because it got water inside somehow and continually heated the tank. I discovered this when I got home from work. I noticed unusual behavior in a frog I had in the aquarium. On further inspection my other frog was already dead on the bottom of the tank and the water was almost 100 degrees F. The frog that was still alive was just floating in the current from the filter and had a bad fungal infection that had sprouted up overnight. Removed him to a treatment tank and did what we could but the poor guy didn't make it. This is a horrible product. I would not recommend this to anyone and I wish I hadn't bought the product because I lost 2 very dear pets.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality-Short lifespan, December 7, 2009
This review is from: Tetra 26447 Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt (Misc.)
I have purchased 3 of these Tetra Heaters in the past 5 months, and all of them have quit. The warranty only allows you to pay shipping both ways, either to fix yours, or they will send another one. I do not want any more of these Tetra heaters, and am looking for another brand. I wouldn't waist your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great heater for saltwater or freshwater aquariums, January 11, 2012
This review is from: Tetra 26447 Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt (Misc.)
Many people that are rating this product with a 1 or 2 star clearly are not using it right, saying it is going out or not heating hot enough. To use this heater properly, you must sit the heater in the aquarium water for 30 minutes before even plugging it in. This is to set the thermostat inside the heater. Also, you must place the heater set up 90 degrees or laying flat parallel with the bottom of the tank. Another reason it may stop working is, once you turn off the heater you must leave it in the water for 15 minutes before taking it out.

Bottom line is, this is a great heater. I use 3 of them total, one for a 10 gallon saltwater nano reef, one for a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium, and one to heat up my water change water. This is one of the best compact heaters I have used, compared to two other more expensive heaters. This is also definitely the cheapest place to find the heater (on amazon), in my local fish stores it runs $17. Ignore the reviews by people that probably didn't even read the instructions before sticking it in their tank and saying it doesn't work right. No adjustments need to be made with this heater and that is one of the greatest things about it also.

Pros:
Red light when heating
Green light when temperature is correct
Small and compact
Cheap price
Good quality
Fully Submersible
Heats up to 10 gallons
Consistent temperature
Rubber protects the glass heating tube

Cons:
Cannot change the temperature if desired.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cooked Fish?, October 9, 2013
This review is from: Tetra 26447 Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt (Misc.)
I owned this product for about two years. I thought it was really great. Kept my betta and pleco nice and toasty, until a week ago when it shorted and cooked both of my fish. I was extremely upset and will NEVER be buying this product EVER again. Sure, send it back and get a new one, but the fish are already medium-rare.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Heater Life, March 14, 2009
This review is from: Tetra 26447 Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt (Misc.)
I had the heater for about a year and it worked fine until one day it stopped functioning. I would not buy again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Malfunctioned, August 23, 2011
ok so I've had this heater for 6 months and one day i was about to feed my fish...and I always tap on the glass to get them to come to the top of the tank and I saw that some of them were at the bottom, some were just swimming in the corner, and the rest just didn't come to the top...so I was like "what is wrong with these fish"? so I put my hand on the glass and it was HOT!!!! I looked at my thermometer and saw that the temperature was 98 degrees!!!! I started freaking out...so I unplugged the heater...opened the lid and set a fan to blow on it...I got some plastic bags and filled them with ice and floated them on the top to bring down the temperature...I was doing everything I could think of...this was all at 1 a.m. in the morning btw...so I went to sleep worried about these fish...in the morning the temperature had gone down to normal...and I lost 2 fish...i was really upset...but then i realized i had to buy another heater because if I left it without one the fish would get too cold and die...so I had to go to the store and buy another the next day...anyway, the moral of the story is if you have the money to buy a better heater, please do...because if I hadn't have caught it early i would have lost every single fish...so just spend the extra 10 or 20 bucks...hope this review helps...

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, just hangs funny, March 22, 2010
This heater works very well in my 1 gallon desk top acquarium. However, it does not hang straight down like it does in the photos. The bottom part lifts (floats) upward and the heater sticks out at an angle from the side of the acquarium. It is a little ugly, but it does keep the fish warm.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Heater Ever, January 14, 2011
This review is from: Tetra 26447 Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt (Misc.)
I had two of these heaters fail me in 3 days. After a night away I discovered most of my tropical fish dead and the second heater had failed. I can accept one failure things happen during the manufacturing process and shipping from China, but two in three days from different stores tells me something.

I will not by a tetra made product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - it could kill your fish, July 22, 2010
It electrocuted my catfish... Why? Because they don't do quality control in China. Yes, you can feel how angry I am for killing my catfish which I've had for years. I wish I could give a negative star on this review. Never buy Tetra products, you have been warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, September 4, 2013
Good product, doing what it say's it woold.
Have it on my 29 gallon at a steady 79.
for the price you can't beat it.

Tetra 26447 Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt