5.0 out of 5 stars BEST tank aquarium
My Betta fish looks extremely happy into this 3g tank; I just regret I didn't buy the 5g version.

The Whisper Micro Filter works SO good, it has a Flow Control system which allows me to select a very low flow, perfect for bettas!

Published on April 18, 2010 by Jose Solano

3.0 out of 5 stars Great tank but filter is ???
Published on October 30, 2010 by Kwesdog

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST tank aquarium, April 18, 2010

Unfortunately, the tank comes with a "medium" size filter, which is way TOOOOO big for the small tank. I know there is a "small" version of the Whisper Micro Filter, so I don't understand why Tetra didn't bundle it with this tank instead of the Medium size. :-S

The tank itself looks crystal clear, acrylic made, very resistant, and easy to clean. I recommend you to buy a special acrylic cleaner sponge since regular sponges will scratch it.

I was speechless when I first turned the LED Lighting Lamp ON, it is magnificent! Perfect room lightning at night. LEDs technology is awesome, it doesn't only lights better, but it saves a lot of energy compared to regular bulbs.

I love all Tetra products! They are definitely the best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great tank but filter is ???, October 30, 2010
This review is from: Tetra 29003 Crescent Aquarium Kit, 5-Gallon (Misc.)
Don't get me wrong by the three stars. This tank is great but the filter set up is not a good one. The design of the items for the tank make everything fit perfectly. There is even a slot for a heater cord. The problem is the filter mount when used has the top of the filter to high in the tank so that the top of the filter is the same level with the top of the open tank thus can SLOWLY leak water along the mount to the outside of the tank. Bottom line is use the suction cups only and you will be happy. Had I really known about how this filter worked I would have gone with something like a fluval U1 or U2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice aquarium kit - especially for bettas!!, November 25, 2013
Length:: 0:56 Mins

A quick overview of my 3-gallon Tetra Crescent tank. My beta has been in his new home for about a 3 weeks now and is very happy - much more so than the 1-gallon bowl he was living in before. I'm using a Hydor 25w heater (I've had great luck with the two Hydor's 25w heaters I own) and the water is staying at a nice 78F regardless of external temps (my house gets pretty cool at nights). He loves to sleep/rest on his leaf hammock (ZooMed Betta Hammock - highly recommended!) and is making a nice bubble farm in the upper-left corner on the tank. I made room for him in the gravel to hide underneath the bridge and I find him swimming through that space and lounging down there from time to time. I think the aquarium came out looking nice (except for the included oversized Tetra filter that is a real eyesore) and over-all I'm pretty happy with this aquarium kit. For the $34 I paid (sale at PetS****) it was a really good deal.

What I like about this tank kit so far:

1. Very straight-forward and easy set up. Includes water conditioner and biological aquarium supplement.
2. Filter water flow is adjustable and has proven very suited for Bettas.
3. Filter cartidges are easy to find at local Petco/Petsmart, on Amazon, etc. and are easy to replace.
4. Nice over-all "modern" look to tank.
5. See-through top has nicely placed cutouts to accommodate a heater or other accessories.
6. LED light does a great job illuminating the entire tank - almost too good (see below).
7. Filter is reasonably quiet - inaudible during the daytime and only slightly noticeable at bedtime. Would make an acceptable bedroom setup.

What I have issues about the kit so far:

1. The included cover of the Crescent, while nice to have, is especially prone to scratches. At first this really bothered me, but seeing as it gets covered in condensation when using tank with a heater (please keep your water for your Betta between 75 - 80 degrees F. They will thank you!), it hardly matters, so it would seem I'm just being picky.
2. Filter is enormous and takes up a very large portion of the tank. In one retrospect, I suppose this can be a good thing, as it has certainly kept the tank clean and water clear, but honestly I would have preferred a small filter from and aesthetic standpoint.
3. The LED lights are quite bright, and while this can be a good thing (see above), I found them too strong - as did my betta who freaks out every time they are turned on due to the intense reflection they cause inside the tank. One solution I have found was to cute small pieces of electrical tape and cover up a few of the LEDs. As they run cool, this is not an issue, and it reduced the output just enough to decrease the reflections and also to give the tank a warmer more natural look.
4. The LED light is very large and covers over so much of the tank that it is impossible to clean or do any rearranging, etc., without removing it. Would have been nice if they designed it to flip up and out of the way for such tasks. Not a deal breaker, but worth noting and it is a bit of a hassle for an otherwise east to maintain tank.

Verdict: Very nice aquarium that is easy to set up, looks great, provides more than sufficient filtration and lighting and works fantastic for Bettas. It is easy to maintain and hits a pricing sweet spot. There are a few minor issues (mostly nit picking, really) but I can definitely recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional, November 8, 2011
As a first aquarium, it's pretty terrible. As a tank purchased purely for the fun of experimentation, with the hopes of re-homing some guppies, it's decent, and I don't regret the purchase. (I agree with the folks who say that bigger is better, for your first. Three gallons is harder to maintain, and is very, very limiting when it comes to fish selection, if you want them to live in a comfortable, happy environment. This tank has other problems, though, so if you are looking for your first aquarium, keep reading.)

The filter (Tetra Whisper Micro, not 3i ... good luck finding cartridges) is half-way decent, and it is inevitably, being made of plastic, had marks in it. After cutting the surge protector on and off, the filter only half worked and I had to move it up to full power (no, do not run your filter on full power - this is why people are having trouble with it - and set it low on the hook). The hook is covering a suction hole - remember this when you take it out for any reason, or you will have water everywhere. Don't use it without the hook, or the filter will sit on the bottom, and that's where its intake is located.

I am hoping a small power filter, such as the one Azoo makes, will fit the space. I haven't measured to be sure, yet. If not, I suppose I'll use a small sponge filter ("Lee's Round Dual-Action Foam Filter" is sold by Amazon, as are replacement sponges, and is supposed to be good for tanks up to 5gal - UPDATE: I am now using this filter, and I like it a lot better). The given filter takes up a lot of space if you plan on putting any ornaments in. I just want plants. I might put a small shelter in.

That all being said, I have mine set up as a low-light dirted environment (more gravel, less dirt under the filter), and my microsword is relatively happy (it needs a stronger light, but at least it is growing). I would recommend this as a functional, but not perfect, guppy tank. It's bright, attractive, and retains some moisture in the form of condensation.

I would use light-colored substrate. Don't use sand, as the filter will likely suck it up. I have dark blue, red, and green gravel, and it just absorbs all the light. If I were to start it over, I would try white or beige gravel, or Caribsea's Torpedo Beach substrate, as it looks like it will be very attractive, and seems like it might be heavy enough to not be sucked up. I'm using Sunset Gold sand, now, in another tank, and I like it. Maybe some more plants or some decoration will brighten it up.

As for the top of the tank, yes, it does fit after water is added. It comes off easily enough; though, for maintenance purposes, the light needs to come off, as well. I would *not* use this tank without the lid. There would be nothing to protect the LEDs from condensation, and I have already, on a past setup, lost a tank light (an incandescent, which I do not wish to ever own again) to such cheap construction. The lid is specifically designed for the given filter, and has a hole on the other side of the light (which you mount to the tank), should you wish to add a heater (Hydor's Mini 7.5 Watt, for 2-5 gallons, is probably the only thing that will fit - it works to a set number of degrees on top of what you have, so monitor). This could also be a good entry hole for piping, such as for air or a DIY CO2 system.

The pictures are deceptive: the light comes all the way to the feed hole and pretty much covers the top of the tank. It is a bright but bulky thing, and for the brightness, has no power. Good for energy, medium-to-low level for plants.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet with a small footprint, March 24, 2010
Evan (Robbinsville, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This 3 gallon tank has been great. The filter is very quiet, but is very powerful. The tank has not required much cleaning because the filter is rated for tanks much bigger than 3 gallons. The downside is that the filter itself is big, so it takes up more room in the tank. The shape of the tank allows for a great presentation, but it does not take up much room. The only complaint I have with the tank is the the top that is provided does not fit on very easily. Overall a great small tank!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tank, but filter WAY TOO BIG!, June 19, 2012
I just got this tank a few days ago, and so far I like it a lot for my betta. He seems to be happy with all the extra space, and it is an attractive setup. I have to say that based on other reviews there are apparently two versions of this tank. Mine is a Marineland Crescent, some others have reviewed an Eclipse kit. It appears the Eclipse unit has the filter installed in the hood. My Marineland kit came with a Whisper filter that is WAY too big for this tank. It seems to function well, but blows my betta around the tank and he stays to the side opposite the filter while it is running. It seems absurd that Tetra didn't put a smaller filter with this kit. Unless I can ever find a small filter that works well and is gentle enough for a betta, my fish will have to deal with this huge filter a couple hours a day so his water can be cleaner. Also, if you use the clip to hang the filter over the edge of the aquarium, it is too high, making it sit above the water level. You will need to remove the clip, and use the suction cups so you can position the filter lower. The kit comes with an extra suction cup for the top half of the filter, but it does not fit in the hole so you will need to stick something in it, like a key, to widen it out enough to fit the suction cup. The top lid fits just so-so, but does provide ample opening to fit even the big filter plus a heater, so the lid doesn't sit on top of the cords. There is also an open area toward the front of the lid to feed the fish. The LED lighting is bright and provides a pleasing view of the aquarium. For installing the light fixture, there are two screws provided to attach the clamp. Be careful not to twist the screws too tight. I did screw one in too tight, which caused a little crack in the aquarium. This is an an excellent tank so far, but can't give it 5 stars because of the ridiculously big filter.
***UPDATE 6/29/12*** The other day while re-positioning the filter, I discovered that there is actually a switch on the back of the filter at the bottom that allows you to adjust the flow-which I obviously missed before. I set it at minimum and my betta seems mostly ok with it on. I'm going to run it most of the day, and turn it off at night so he can sleep well...and see how that goes.
***UPDATE*** 8/8/12 A few weeks ago I took out the big Tetra filter, and replaced it with the Azoo Mignon Filter, which I bought on Amazon. It sits outside the tank, has adjustable flow, is very quiet, and is easy maintenance. When set the right way, there is practically no current from the flow and I leave it running 24/7. Strongly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars DEAR TETRA, love the tank but your filters suck!, July 24, 2012
This review is from: Tetra 29003 Crescent Aquarium Kit, 5-Gallon (Misc.)
8/25/12 UPDATE: Folks looking for small acrylic tanks, here are others -- Aquarius Aq15005 Aquarius 5 Rounded 5-Gallon Aquarium Kit and Petco Bookshelf Freshwater Fish Aquarium.

People who keep fish prefer glass over acrylic and not just because acrylic is more expensive. As far as I know, there's only three reasons folks go with acrylic:

1) Acrylic weighs way less than glass.
2) Acrylic retains heat better, which helps if you keep tropical fish.
3) Acrylic won't break into scary glass pieces.

I bought the 5 gallon here cause I couldn't find affordable (and by that I mean $50 and under) alternatives in acrylic tanks anywhere else, and boy, I've looked. People often forget that each gallon of water adds 8.24 lbs to an aquarium. Since I've got a 2-tier computer desk that has only 3 out of the 4 screws keeping the top shelf stable, I wanted an easy-to-lift aquarium that won't come crashing down my shelf from the weight of the water, rocks, and everything in it. This did the job.

WHAT SUCKS ABOUT IT is the filter, a Tetra Whisper 10i, which uses size Medium "Bio Bags". It's quiet, but the Bio Bags cartridges are terrible. They're floss pads filled with carbon (though you can buy 'em unassembled and fill 'em yourself). The pad is too porous. Sometimes, carbon settles in the bottom of the pad like a huge butt, making it hard to slip into the filter. Sometimes, the pad tears and carbon falls out. Also, throwing out each pad can cause the tank to mini-cycle. (If you don't understand what that last sentence means, Google "nitrogen cycle".)

GREAT FILTER ALTERNATIVES would be the Marina S10 or the AquaClear 20, but you'll have to leave the tank hoodless for either one to work.

WHAT I LOVE ABOUT IT is that I paired this up with the ViaAqua6 Blue LED bubbler and because the tank has a clear hood, the blue lights hit my white ceiling and create gorgeous blue light ripples. The water coming out of the filter won't aerate your tank enough. So this was a beautiful and practical option. If you want to do this too, don't forget you need to buy a plastic tube and a pump with it. I went with the Marina Cool Pump. Oh and for everyone who hates how big the filter looks in the tank, a 6" bubble curtain will totally take your eyes off it.

OTHER THINGS I LIKE is the LED lamp, but that's cause I don't keep anything more than an anubias; your other plants will hate you for it by dying. Finally, kudos to Tetra for that flimsy looking hood; I started using the tank in August 2011 and the hood hasn't warped whatsoever.

DEAR TETRA, please make me a 10 gallon acrylic (filter unneeded). I mean, I found this one on Amazon, but it looks like it's glass.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost There..., March 6, 2013
This review is from: Tetra 29003 Crescent Aquarium Kit, 5-Gallon (Misc.)
Okay let's start off with the pros:
1. It's a big tank with a small foot print (because it's tall).
2. It's a pretty tank and because it's a crescent shape every thing is magnified (which is nice).
3. The Whisper 10i Filter keeps the tank crystal clear.
4. There's a nice cut out hole for a heater cord.
5. The light is beautiful (but careful don't leave it on in a dark room with betta's, they'll do nothing but flare at their reflection).

But there are some cons:
1.There isn't a cover for the feeding hole, and if you have betta fish it's definitely a big enough for them to jump out.
2. The "Whisper" 10i filter does anything but whisper, on the right day on the 29th of February under a full moon provided it's a Tuesday you might get the filter in the right position and it will be quite. But most of the time the filter operates with a dull hum (sometimes pretty loud if it's touching the top).
3. The clear top means that if you heat your tank your going to see nothing but condensation on the top. Not a huge gripe but it does look a little unattractive.

Overall it's a great tank (especially for the money) but it's not perfect (but really what is?). If you have one betta fish like I do and your looking to give him/her a great home this is it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Aquarium!, April 12, 2012
First off I want to note the Tank itself is a 5 Star. I gave it 4 because the Whisper Micro Water Filter. I am very pleased with the aquarium itself. It's Beautiful! It also comes with a nice led light. The filter I'm a bit disappointed with. Don't get me wrong, it's quiet and filters nicely but the plug goes inside of the tank! I'm a safety freak and didn't want to put it in the tank but I prepared myself and did it, but just to get rid of any little lints or hairs. I only put it in there when I change the water. He doesn't make much waste so it's fine. The filter has a yellow sticker on the power cord that say's Fully Submersible. If your filter is noisy it could be of 2 things - Trapped air bubbles or debris. The bubbles tend to dissipate overnight. I would buy this tank again! Very Happy! =)

Filter Update: I didn't like how the filter took up so much of the tanks space so I got the Azoo Mignon Filter 60 2nd Gen. It's perfect for Betta's. Also has a flow control. Follow AsianDude666 on youtube for the setup =)

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs some work, August 25, 2012
This review is from: Tetra 29003 Crescent Aquarium Kit, 5-Gallon (Misc.)
The tank itself is fine, as is the LED light that comes with it. The filter however leaves much room for improvement.

My tank has 2 neon tetras and one 'fancy' guppy in it, and the filter cannot keep up!

Combined these 3 fish are well under the 5 inches of fish this tank should be able to handle. The whisper filter is quiet, but does not provide adequate filtration to keep up with these three fish. I am about to upgrade the filter itself, but this will require modifying the lid/cover as it is very 'closed off' and has few pass throughs available for future growth.

This product would have been better if I could have just bought the tank itself minus the light and filter.

If you are going to keep a single beta, this is a great tank, if decide to keep 3 or more fish, this is not the small tank kit for you. Definitely don't put goldfish into this thing! Goldfish require more filtration than the three fish here combined and this tank would not support them for too long.

Tetra 29003 Crescent Aquarium Kit, 5-Gallon