on December 5, 2012
This is an excellent additive for freshwater aquariums. It keeps PH at 7.0, reduces Nitrates that can usually only be removed via water changes, and removes phosphate which encourages algae growth. It also produces CO2 which is helpful for the growth of aquatic plants. However it is important that you have proper water aeration when using this chemical additive because of these CO2 producing properties. Another major thing is that this product does NOT remove chlorine or chloramines from water when performing water changes. Also it is important to note that by using this product it does not excuse you from not having to perform water changes. You still should change 15-20% of the water in the tank every 2-3 weeks depending on how many fish are stocked in the tank relative to its size.

This product will cloud the water for a few hours after it is introduced to the tank water. This cloudiness should disappear quickly as long as you have good water filtration and movement! And again make sure you have good water aeration like air stones in the tank as this could cause the fish to not get enough oxygen.

From Tetra's Site:

Easy Balance® - Detailed Description of Individual Product Features

Carbonate Hardness Additive - The appropriate amount of carbonate hardness is added to the aquarium water compensating for KH losses, which occur as a result of nitrification.

pH Stabilization - Stabilizes the pH value on a sufficiently high level, preventing a drop to biologically harmful levels (pH crash) and produces a certain amount of CO2 preventing excessive pH values.

Phosphate Removing Effect - In a standard aquarium (30gal) the phosphate concentration is reduced to zero during most of the 6-month period.

New Feature: Nitrate Reduction with Nitraban(tm) - Serves as a nutrient for denitrifying bacteria that consume the oxygen releasing nitrogen from the aquarium. On average the nitrate concentration will drop below 40mg/l.

Other Features Include - Production of Carbon Dioxide, the addition of trace elements and a replenishment of vitamin B

*****************************

Let me add to this review that for all the people posting that this product doesn't work or that it killed their fish, they are the ones at fault! And the yellow water issue? Yes this product will cause the water in the tank to turn temporarily yellow. If there is extremely poor filtration and water movement, the water will stay yellow.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 5, 2011
I have 2 aquariums and when they need to be clean I add this to the water. EasyBalance with Nitraban helps keep my aquariums clean and clear and I was having a problem finding this product at my local pet store, and other pet stores in my area.
I came to Amazon just to check to see if they carried this product. Much to my surprise,
they did, and for half the price a pet store would have charged me. Even the shipping added to the order, was still half. In the future, I plan to order this product from Amazon.
Again, as with my other orders from Amazon, my order was here in less than a week.
on April 10, 2013
I've been having problems with nitrates in my granted over populated 36gal.tank. My readings have been around 40ppm with regular 20% water changes once or twice a week. After one treatment my nitrate reading was at zero.
I will still do regular gravel cleanings which comes to about a 10% water change. Will update
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 16, 2011
ANY product that reduces water changes is great! I put it in once a week and it reduces the nitrogen over night. I have very little alge growth. The water is crystal clear.What more can I say? I love this product!
on March 1, 2014
Tetra is an irresponsible company to be selling this product that so many reviews have clearly indicated rapid fish death within 24 hours of adding this as directed to well-aerated aquariums. 3 completely healthy fish dead within 24 hours of adding this product. I will be seeking compensation from Tetra for this product and the cost of these fish. Tetra should be embarrassed to call itself an aquarium expert.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 2, 2010

From Tetra's Site:

Easy Balance® - Detailed Description of Individual Product Features

This product will cloud the water for a few hours after it is introduced to the tank water. This cloudiness should disappear quickly as long as you have good water filtration and movement. And again make sure you have good water aeration like air stones in the tank as this could cause the fish to not get enough oxygen.
on June 15, 2010
I have been using this for over 6 years. It will decrease the amount of times you have to clean your tank by A LOT. If you add this per the instructions you will get good results. The down side is, if you add it per the instructions the bottle doesn't last too long. But, it is still worth it. I have had this stuff in some pretty full tanks, and it still drastically decreased the amount of cleaning I had to do.

You will see a difference almost immediately, and I have never experienced discolored water. I am guessing there was something else wrong in the water that caused the yellowing the other reviewer mentioned. It does have tiny yellow particles in it. But, they settle to the bottom and disappear within a short amount of time.

Try it, you won't regret it, and your fish will love it.
on September 23, 2012
This product did exactly what it said it does. The fish all seemed to liven up as soon as this was in the water, so I assume everything balanced out fairly quickly.
on August 30, 2012
Great product and able to find a price through here that is cheaper shipped than my local pet store. Thanks!
on October 17, 2012
Iv'e used this product for over two years in a 55 gallon tank with Angels.True, the water doesn't smell great but it's not discolored,and true to their claim I rarely change the water and have had no fish die in that preriod of time.My opinion is the fish are more energetic once I put the product in the tank which is once a week as directed It's a great product and well worth the price. Rod Mitchell

One addendum does not add an oder to the tank. Checked several times after making that remark and the tank always had a fresh smell to it.