4.0 out of 5 stars Good But...
Tetra Whisper Air Pump 40 Gal Tank
For the money this is a good little air pump. Although I do have to say that after around the 4 month mark like everyone else giving a review here it got very noisy.
Published on May 18, 2011 by Scott

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of money
Published on March 21, 2009 by Forildo Jenkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Good But..., May 18, 2011
Tetra Whisper Air Pump 40 Gal Tank
Don't worry there is a fix! Unscrew the 4 Philips head screws under the unit and separate the bottom and the top. You will find a stack of "L" shaped magnets. Move the stack a bit to the right and tighten the nut that holds the "L" shaped magnets in place. Put it back together and ta-da no more noise! The Problem is that the little arm that holds the square shaped magnet is hitting the "L" shaped magnets with every pump. All you have to do is give it some space so it doesn't hit the other stack of magnets. The nut might not have be tight enough when they built it or it rattled loose during normal use allowing the stack of magnets to slip a bit.
All in all this is a pretty good pump. Just wish Tetra would pay closer attention to the little things.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sound Of Silence, July 6, 2010
dream factory (Triangulum, M33) - See all my reviews
The last thing you want when sitting back and relaxing in front of your peaceful aquarium is the buzz or hummm of an air filter. We had and old (4 years) AQT 1000 which we had to unplug at night because of its peculiar humming.

So I asked the guy at the fish store which of the many air pumps is the quietest. "The Tetra Whisper Air Pump" he picked one up off the shelf and casually tossed it over my way.

Wow not much of and introduction. So I bought a different unit, well because I know better don't I? Sure. Two days later I retuned that one because it was competing with the refrigerator in the hum contest. And it was winning.

Sure enough this 'Whisper" is a very quiet unit. Peaceful and unobtrusive.
We have a 35 gal / 24" deep tank and the #10 gal Air Pump provides great bubble power.

I would recommend trying the lower powered ones for your tank and if need be working up to a higher stength if necessary. My friend has a #10 in his 50 gal tank and it pushes plenty of air for bubbles.

Tetra recommends an optional check valve to prevent water from siphoning back in case there is a power outtage. We just put a loose loop in the air hose behind the tank. But you may be safer with the check valve.

Quiet + powerful + reliable (We have had it for 9 months now) = Silencioso!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Quiet. Good Quality & Parts., February 9, 2012
This review is from: Tetra 77854 Whisper Air Pump, 60 Gallon (Misc.)
Let's get something clear first, no air pump runs 100% quiet, no matter what the manufacturer says. Now the review :

After all the numerous mixed reviews, I decided to take a chance and get this air pump anyway, and I'm glad I did.
This pump, as the title says, is surprisingly quiet, the sound of the bubbles and the waves in my tank are actually louder than this pump, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that. I have an old, square shape, Aquaculture pump that was bugging me it was so loud. The Tetra Whisper pump emits a very, almost unnoticed hum. The pump has 2 outakes and comes included with the following:
The pump of course, instructions , 1T-adapter; 2 knobs/valves that help regulate the amount of bubbles you feed into the aquarium by increasing/decreasing air flow. This is actually perfect for those like me with a smaller tank, even though I have a 50 GAL, I don't have to have bubbles at full blast.
I had a problem with my wave maker stirring bubbles all over the place, but now with this new pump, I can have less bubbles in the area near the powerheads hooked to my wave maker. I'm currently using this pump with these: Elite 1-Inch Cylinder Air Stone, 4-Pack and so far, so good. Let the stones soak in your tank for at least 10 minutes before using them.

Some people recomend keeping the pump above water level, but in my 12 years of keeping aquariums I've never done that; just make sure you create a "drip loop" for the power cord with a screw or a push pin, so if water for some reason finds its way down, it will hang and drip at the loop and not reach the AC plug. You may also want to get these: 2 PCS Non-return Check Valves for Aquarium Air Pump to keep water from going into the pump during water changes or power outages.

If you ask me if I have any complaints about this pump, I'd say its size, but that's a minor issue for me, the dome shape of the pump was intentionally designed to reduce the amount of noise it makes, and it works.
The pump measurements are as follow:
7.5 inches long, 4.5 inches wide and 3 inches high.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase, the pump is well built, high quality and made to last. The best feature of course, its almost silent operation, I don't have to crank the volume up on my TV anymore.

One last tip, if you want this pump, or any other pump to make less noise, place it on top of a thick sock or an old fashioned mouse pad. That should absorb some of the vibrations.

4.0 out of 5 stars it's good, here's a tip though...., December 26, 2006
This review is from: Tetra 77854 Whisper Air Pump, 60 Gallon (Misc.)
...if you only use one of the two outputs(like I do), put a piece of hose onto the unused outlet - it will muffle the noise it makes[I don't know why they don't tell you this in the pump instructions!]. If both outlets have hoses on them, whether they are in the water or not, this will be a quiet air pump. Having two outputs is great, you could easily feed two 30 gal tanks with this, and it seems like this could handle a 100 gal tank.

Also!: Make sure to position your bubbles emitting from your stone/bubblewall NOT near(under) your filter intake. The intake will take in the air bubbles and cause significant noise as it spits them out up near the filter[gheez, why don't they tell you this in the pump instructions!]. With a quiet pump and keeping your air bubbles away from the filter intake, you should have a system quiet enough to sleep next to. Therefore I don't recommend using a full length back bubble wall with a top filter, as the filter will take in the bubbles and cause noise.

Whatever you do, don't buy Top Fin pumps,...they're cheap and cheaply made - too noisy. Both Tetra Whisper and Rena brands have superior quiet engineering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a GREAT powerful buy!!!, June 23, 2010
This pump works quite well! I have a beta fish and my previous pump wasn't working so my "Shark" :) wasn't as playful as he usually was in my 5 gallon tank. As soon as I hooked this pump up though, he became himself again. My old pump was no where nearly as powerful and there are dozens more bubbles than that old heap could have ever produced. It DOESN'T come with the tubbing, however. So you have to purchase that seperately. It is a very quiet pump and I'm glad I purchased it!

PS. no one ever comments on Amazon Prime, but this is my favorite online purchasing site because whenever I order something I get it at the latest two days later. GREAT work Amazon!!! You have a customer for life - as my thousands of dollars already spent with you show :)!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of money, March 21, 2009
Forildo Jenkins (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these for my 29 gallon tank to use with a bubble wand. It was easy to set up and worked fine for two days. On the third day, when I came home from work, the first thing I heard when I walked in the front door was a loud buzzing sound. I followed the buzz to find out that it was the air pump. It wasn't the pump itself vibrating against the shelf it was on, but the motor of the pump. My aquarium is towards the back of the house, so for me to hear it as soon as I walked in tells you it was pretty loud. On top of that, there was only a small amount of air coming out of the bubble wand. I figured I'd just gotten a defective one, so I returned it and got a replacement. It worked great for about a month and a half until it woke me up this morning making the same exact loud buzz that the first one did. Low airflow to the bubble wand as well. Unfortunately, it broke after the store's return period expired, so now I can either deal with the manufacturer (which is always fun) or just count my losses and move on.

Would not recommend to others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tetra Whisper 10 - Not bad, Not great either., September 20, 2011
Got the Whisper 10 for my 12g aquarium. It's been working for about 2 years now. So the durability is great. I wish I can say the same about the sound it makes. It falls short from living to its name as being a "whisper." Albeit, it's not necessary loud either. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't have known any better because I haven't gotten any other air pumps rated at this size for any other tanks. So I thought that the sound this makes is expected for an air pump of this size. This is, until now. I just picked up the Hagen Marina 75 pump for my other tank and by comparison, the Hagen is virtual silent. That was my main thing for choosing another air pump, I needed absolute silence. I just don't know how a product like this Tetra can call themselves a "whisper" when it's contradictory. Anyway, still not a bad buy... I DO LIKE how this Tetra Whisper comes with an air control valve to fine tune the amount of air pumping in to your airstone (or whatever you have it hooked up to). Not a lot of air pumps come with one... so if you bought another brand, you might have to get that separately if you want less bubbles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Quiet!, April 17, 2007
Kenny Mcelroy (Phoenix, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tetra 77854 Whisper Air Pump, 60 Gallon (Misc.)
I've had this for a couple of months now and it's still super quiet...which I need as my tank is in my bedroom. Product is as described. ;-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and won't last-waste of $$, October 22, 2007
I have a 95 gallon tank and have went through several of these whisper 100's to power multiple airstones. At first it blows very strong air through both outlets. Over time one or both of the outlets stops blowing air, or blows it so weakly that a bubble or 2 might come out of the airstone. These are made so cheaply and I am about to complain to the company. I have went through 4 in the last year. I guess the diaphrams over time just conk out. I am awaiting a few rena 400 pumps and hope they are more reliable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Whisper my @ss, June 14, 2009
This thing was quiet when I first got it.
3 months later it sounds like a pet store.
I should've laid down 60 bucks for the Rena.

ARRAY(0xa9ab70fc)