4.0 out of 5 stars Good But...
Tetra Whisper Air Pump 40 Gal Tank
For the money this is a good little air pump. Although I do have to say that after around the 4 month mark like everyone else giving a review here it got very noisy.
Don't worry there is a fix! Unscrew the 4 Philips head screws under the unit and separate the bottom and the top. You will find a stack of "L" shaped magnets. Move...
Published on May 18, 2011 by Scott

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of money
I bought one of these for my 29 gallon tank to use with a bubble wand. It was easy to set up and worked fine for two days. On the third day, when I came home from work, the first thing I heard when I walked in the front door was a loud buzzing sound. I followed the buzz to find out that it was the air pump. It wasn't the pump itself vibrating against the shelf it was...
Published on March 21, 2009 by Forildo Jenkins

‹ Previous | 1 2 386 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Whisper Air Pump for 10 gallon Aquarium, February 1, 2009
Hi. I just received my Whisper 10 Air Pump yesterday, with my Tetra 10 Deluxe kit. They work just fine. I use the air pump to connect it with my wall bubble wand (or airstone) that I bought at pet store. The pump is powerful and silent, and doesnt get any hot even though been used for days. Really useful in creating small bubbles in your aquarium.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quiet is a relative term, August 14, 2007
I purchased the Whisper 100 about three weeks ago to drive both tubes on an undergravel filter in a 30 gal tank. I was replacing a Whisper 40 that wasn't able to drive two tubes. The 100 was noticeably louder than the 40, but still OK in my living room. You could tell it was there, but you could tune it out. Until a couple of days ago. The whisper turned into a rattling hum on the left side. Adjusting the airflow made no difference. I had to disconnect the tube. That did the trick, until today when the right side started going south. So I unplugged it and now have two separate pumps (a whisper 40 and some other tiny one I got at Walmart) running the two tubes. Both of them together are quieter than the 100 was when it first came out of the box.

I give it a 2 instead of a 1, because I could probably send it in and get it fixed, but at this price it's just not worth the trouble.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great if..., July 31, 2011
I have 10 of these running sponge filters in my fish store. If you restrict these pumps in anyway, such as using a valve, the diaphragms will rupture. If you run them wide open they last for years. You can wreck one in minutes by simply turning a valve off. The cheep diaphragms can't handle any back pressure. I'm guessing the Chinese never tested them that way and went ahead and made 1,000,000 to sell in the US.

Good pump if don't restrict it.

You get what you pay for...

The Rena one is much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, Powerful, and Sturdy!, January 19, 2012
This pump was perfect for my two gallon tank. It's about the size of a ergonomic computer mouse and is very quiet compared to my old pump. Most of the times I forget it's even there! It's plenty powerful, too. For the price and quality of this pump, I am very pleased with my purchase.

Update (01/19/2013): After one year of ownership, this pump is still going strong without being noisy. I am plenty impressed!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled it's NOT Silent!!, January 21, 2011
Sorry this pump is Not silent, quiet or a whisper!! I have had aquariums for over 20 years and have had many air pump usually to get a Silent air pump you need to spend about $30-$40. I was in need of a new one & after reading on Amazon so many post about the Tetra whisper being so quiet & silent, I thought I'd give it a try. I should have know better you can't get silence for $10.

I think the other post who said it is silent never had a high quality air pump before, that sounded like trucks running so yes this Tetra will seem a little quieter. Or they have so many other noise in the room that are louder then the air pump so it seems quiet. Take it from someone who has a very quiet house & who has had expensive air pump and many air pumps this Tetra whisper is NOT SILENT!! Yes it is a little quieter then the cheap free ones you get with tank kits but not that quiet or silent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Suprised, June 23, 2011
This review is from: Tetra 77854 Whisper Air Pump, 60 Gallon (Misc.)
My first aquarium pump was a Wal-Mart special. I had it running two decorations, and one side fizzled out. When I went to investigate the problem the air output nozzle had cracked and broken off.

Today I got my Tetra Whisper pump. I plugged this baby in and was pleasantly surprised. Air is now gushing out of my decorations and my aquarium feels healthier already. The pump is very quiet, and I cannot hear the pump over the sound of trickling water coming from my filter. The pump came with two airline regulators and a hose T valve.

I want to add more air to my tank like a bubble wand, and I will definitely look into another Tetra Pump.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet Air Pump!, June 19, 2007
This Aquarium Air Pump is so Quiet I have my 29 gallon aquarium in my big master bedroom. I can only hear the bubbles from the air-stone! I will use Whisper Air Pumps for both of my aquariums, because they are built really good and are Super Quiet! I recommend these aquarium air pump for all Aquarium Owners!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, July 4, 2012
I needed an air pump to provide extra aeration to my 10 gallon tank and this one was one of the cheapest and I'm familiar with the tetra brand. Set up was very easy as it only has one outlet which is for the air tube. I have a led aeration bar that I ordered from Hong King and it looks very nice. The air pump hums of course but not so loud that you'll mind.

Pros: Small, easy to use, has grip legs so it doesn't slide off of stuff.
Cons: Its hums but not as loud as your filter though, and it provides a lot of bubbles that can cause a small current they will stress out the fish.

Tip: If the air pump is a little too strong then you can use a small rubber band and bend the tube a little then tie the rubber band around the tube line to decrease the amount of air produced. That's what I did to mine. And it creates smaller streams of bubbles where my tetras and platies love. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Pump, May 10, 2012
Great pump. MUCH quieter than the Top Fin I had running before it.

I now have to look at the aquarium to see if bubbles are coming out of my airstone.

This is what an aquarium should sound like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very quiet, lots of bubbles., January 20, 2012
Very quiet, LOTS of bubbles. Rubber feet to isolate vibrations. Comes with an in-line air valve to adjust amount of bubbles. 2 year warranty.

‹ Previous | 1 2 386 | Next ›