Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 27, 2010
First of all, let me address some of the concerns mentioned here in other reviews. The heater is preset to warm your tank to 73 degrees. That may or may not seem like a huge difference to you depending on how warm you keep your home, where the tank is located and if the warmth of the basking light is helping to warm things up. This heater is meant to take the chill out of the water, not to "keep it warm". It's not meant for that and that is not what the turtle is looking for.
Secondly, I have had great success with ours...EXCEPT (my OWN fault!)....when changing my turtles water, somehow my son plugged in the heater when the heater was not completely submerged. Huge problem in that it fizzled, sparked and popped - umm not good. It does say it in the directions, but they don't really ever say what will happen if you plug it in early. Of course, common sense should dictate, but last night it did not. I spent hours cleaning out the new tank AGAIN and now I am back to buy another!
The plastic housing is great! Only once has my monster of a red eared slider been able to open it. She does manage to knock it loose once in awhile though! It's all good!!
Overall...I would buy again. I am buying again. I would recommend this for others as well!
55 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2015
Recently set up the tetra heater and it works very well. Setup was easy and since I couldn't decide where to place it I'm glad it wasn't difficult to move (yay for sucrion cups!). The plastic appears sturdy and my hatchling turtle stands no chance at breaking it. The water became very warm over night. (I have a 10 gallon tank filled about 3.5 inches high)
on October 29, 2013
This heater may be fine for other reptiles, but not if you have a couple mischievous turtles. We have two large red-ear sliders that we have in a shallow filled 55 gal aquarium. We were hoping this would be a good in-tank heater that they wouldn't be able to destroy. It did last about 7 months, but today when we went to change their water we discovered they had ripped the plastic cage apart and then proceeded to break the glass open and ate through the heater coil. Back to the drawing board I guess to find a more durable heater.
on March 11, 2010
This heater works well for my 11 year old eastern painted turtle. I have her housed in a 40 gallon tank on a window sill facing East (she likes to watch the sun rise). What is important to understand about reptiles is that they thrive on sunlight as their primary source of heat, and any reptile in captivity should have access to real sunlight and intense artificial light for a substantial amount of time every day. A lamp that emits UVA and UVB rays should be the primary source of heat in your reptile's habitat, and any other heat source, such as an aquatic heater for a turtle, should only be a secondary source of heat.

I use the water heater in the winter months to keep the water in my turtle's tank from getting too cold at night, once I have turned off her heat lamp. I chose this particular heater over traditional aquarium heaters because it is housed in a plastic cage, and my turtle is very destructive. I have been using the heater since November and she hasn't managed to take it apart yet!
on April 10, 2016
These heaters are perfect for my 2 sliders. I have 3 of these heaters in my 125 gallon indoor pond that they call home. It keeps the water at a constant comfortable temp. The outer plastic cover is nice because my female likes to lay on top of it. These heaters have been in my tank for 3 years. I just noticed one doesn't seem to be working (I haven't seen the red light) so I am replacing but after 3 years I have no complaints. The price is great also.
on November 18, 2011
We recently received our Tetra Aquatic Reptile Heater, rated at 100watts and it has been great. Unit is built solid, has powerful suction cups and the option of routing the cord in 3 directions off one end. It says it is rated up to a 30 gallon tank, we have one that is 38 gallons (nearly full) for our 6" male Red Eared Slider turtle. He has checked it out, rested on it used it as platform etc and it hasn't budged or broken. The water stays at a constant 74 to 76 degrees. Our local pet shop charges $75.00 for a glass, unprotected heater of 75 watts. This unit was $16.99, protected and more powerful. Standard shipping had it at our door in Alaska in 5 days.
on January 14, 2016
I have a pool in my indoor turtle habitat that is 23"x14" and 4" deep.I had my doubts about this product. But after seeing the difference for my box turtle, Bubble, I can say it really works. It is now winter here in Florida, with temps in the 60s. Bubble bathes for around 5 hours each day sometimes starting from 4 o'clock in the morning or earlier, and at that time the water is pretty cold. Before I got this heater, Bubble would have to put his head in the water and then gingerly get in when his body slowly got used to the cold. Now, he just plunges right in and even bathed from 2:30 in the morning. I also have a smaller pool that is around 12"x7" and when I put my hand in both of them, I easily feel the difference- the one with the heater is warm and the other pool is cold.

I notice that the red light comes on every now and then in it. Sometimes for a second, other times for longer. I guess that's when it's checking the temp and getting warm.

I am very happy about this product- was definitely a good buy.
on January 25, 2010
It worked for 3 weeks, then just stopped. I called the TetraFauna people to ask for a refund and the guy told me that I needed to buy a bigger heater- it is not strong enough for a 30 gallon tank unless your room temp is 72F. So this only heats the water from 72F room temp to 78F. 6 degrees is all shes got. After that it just dies, apparantly.

I've read other reviews off of amazon and this has horrible reviews-- look elsewhere for a good tank heater.
on June 12, 2012
I didn't believe the other reviews that this was a fire hazard. I installed three days ago according to the package directions. Everything was perfect until three days later, while cooking dinner and my kids playing the living room- the tank started SMOKING. Stupidly, I just ran over and grabbed the turtles (not my smartest move considering electricity). Thankfully, the turtles are okay- but it was so scary. The entire heater bulb exploded and put black ash all over the tank. I cannot express how much I urge you to NOT buy this product. I am just so thankful that I was right by the tank. Imagine if it happened in the middle of the night???
on January 17, 2016
Works great! Keeps the temp right were it should be! And it's not to hot for the turtles to burn themselves (see picture) great buy! And as always great price on Amazon!