5.0 out of 5 stars Down Under Fuses with French-Oriental
With no cooking experience, he migrates to Australia where he begins learning Aussie cooking with French techniques.
Eventually, he opens his own restaurant where his style of using Australian produce with French-oriental style is lapped up as on the of best Australian dining establishments. Raved about by his buddy, Charlie Trotter.
First, the design and...
Published on May 9, 2001 by rodboomboom

3.0 out of 5 stars Just missed the mark!
Published on June 9, 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Down Under Fuses with French-Oriental, May 9, 2001
rodboomboom (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tetsuya: Recipes from Australia's Most Acclaimed Chef (Hardcover)
First, the design and production of this book is rich and exquisite, as most are by Ten Speed Press. The paper has an transluscence to it, and the style and photography are so well done and stylish. Even the bookjacket is folded uniquely.
The ingredients are very Aussie influenced, with seafood, veal and lamb dominant, with French and Asian ingredients and techniques thrown in.
Tastes are clean and pure and sparkling, very refreshing to consume. Tried so far but a few, and excited when time permits to delve into the rest. So far, tried several of the appetizers such as Marinated Trevally with Preserved Lemon is outstanding, but so many of fish dishes are dependent on having an excellent fishmonger, which we are fortunate to have one here.
Main dishes completed so far with outstanding results are the Roasted Scampi Seasoned with Tea and Scampi Oil, and the Breast of Duck with Apple and Ginger Dipping Sauce.
At first, this book will intimidate many with its Oriental ingedients but most major cities and with internet sources one can come up with these. Techniques are not overly difficult and the color photos show artistic plating suggestions as well as two or three wine suggestions per entree.
New, exquisite menu to cook and serve to my guests. Try this one, it will pleasantly surprise and grow with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oriental haute cuisine with no gimmicks, by a master, August 11, 2001
Toby (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Two weeks ago my girlfriend Snow and I dined at Tetsuya's new restaurant Mju at the Millenium Knightsbridge Hotel in London, prompted by Snow's raving of Tetsuya from her winters in Sydney. The only dining option is an eight-mini-course tasting menu, but since the man himself was in town (Tetsuya spends only one week a month in London) we were all for it. We thought the portions were adequate, but I suspect people used to NYC portions might go home hungry. I must say that his cuisine was awesome - highlighting the flavors of fresh ingredients, and many of the courses were based on raw or undercooked items. Although the presentation of the food was highly stylised - just look at the photos in the cookbook and they are similarly presented at your table - the cooking is unfussed and the philosophy predominantly reflected the Japanese appreciation for simplicity and French classical culinary techniques. The result was that every dish managed to emphasize yet enhance the flavor of the main ingredient. Compared to Nobu, Tetsuya is hardly fusion and very Asian at heart. Most of the courses served at Mju are included in the cookbook, so we know that these recipes have been tried and tested. What's most gratifying is the listing at the end of the book of food sources for Mju - London lags NYC in terms of high-end food stores such as Dean & Deluca and Citarella, so the list is very useful, and it allows me to dream about learning to cook at the level of a master like Tetsuya.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful food, July 23, 2006
Having had the fortune to eat at Tetsuyas, I could not resist buying the book. Tetsuya is a master and a complete perfectionist. I do not use this book often as I find it a little like following a Japanese Thomas Keller (lots of work!) but it is a gorgeous book from an inspirational chef.

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative, June 30, 2001
By A Customer
Beautifully presented, innovative recipes, amazing combinations of flavors that one would not normally consider. I have made a number of the recipes which have won rave reviews from my guests. I love cooking and eating and found these receipes easy to follow however to get the best results one really needs to use the freshest of ingrediants. Some recipes are a little more involved and need a trial run prior to trying them on guests. One of the best cook books I have seen for some time and I have quite a few. For those that really appreciate the best in food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative, June 30, 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the more expierenced chef, September 9, 2005
B. Chase (Columbus, OH) - See all my reviews
When I say expierenced, let me explain. My wife and I just recently became parents and it makes it REAL difficult to go out and eat let alone find the money. If your a parent, you know what im saying.

That said we are by no ways professional chefs. This book really explains it out and the ingrediants(or what to substitute.) This book helps you gain a palette and expierence new flavors.

This book in my opinion is not Nobu, but you cant cook the same meals over and over. This WILL get you on the way to creating your own dishes.

GOOD LUCK and make your purchase to further your development!

3.0 out of 5 stars Just missed the mark!, June 9, 2002
By A Customer
Altough this is a beautifully illustrated book, I found that the recipes I tried seemed to just miss the mark. I am an experienced Asian cook and have lots of knowledge of fresh Asian ingredients so I was not daunted by the recipes. When each dish was completed it looked beautiful but tasted as if something was missing. I have tried recreating several of the dishes to no avail. Puzzling!

Tetsuya: Recipes from Australia's Most Acclaimed Chef
Tetsuya: Recipes from Australia's Most Acclaimed Chef by Tetsuya Wakuda (Hardcover - March 1, 2004)
Used & New from: $39.95