5.0 out of 5 stars A gritty, realistic, true-to-life, non-sugarcoated story!
Published on February 22, 2012 by Love 2 Read Novels

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
3.5 Stars

Jamilyn was on a train to go live with her aunts because her parents had died. The train was captured by the Walton Gang and she was taken hostage. Jamie feared she was going to die or be violated. When Will who is one of the gang steps in and keeps her from harm she is not sure if she should trust him or hate him.

Will is a U.S Marshall...
Published on March 6, 2012 by weatherlover1

5.0 out of 5 stars A gritty, realistic, true-to-life, non-sugarcoated story!, February 22, 2012
Love 2 Read Novels "Sherry" (a small town in Kansas USA) - See all my reviews
Will McMillian fought in the war along side his Captain, Clayton Proffitt. Now he's a US Marshall fighting the war on crime by working undercover pretending to be a member of the notorious Walton Gang. That's where he meets Miss Jamie Ellis. She's on her way to live with her aunts and perhaps marry a fellow she's been writing to. Plans quickly change when she becomes a hostage after the Walton Gang takes over the train. Knowing what the gang is like and what they are capable of Will vows to protect Jamie no matter what the cost. How high a price is he willing to pay?

WOW! This second installment of the Heart of a Hero Series is an excellent story. This author certainly doesn't sugarcoat the life of a gang in the 1870s. The rough and rugged life they lead is painted in a realistic way. This book felt much darker to me than the first book but I think it's because we are getting a good look into the lives of hardened criminals. A Texan's Honor is actually two stories in one. It's pretty much evenly divided between Will McMillian and Scout Proffitt (whom we heard about in A Texan's Promise, Scout is the brother of Clayton). I thought the way it shifted between the two was very well executed while still maintaining a good flow. This story definitely took me on a train ride of emotion. There were things I found amusing but there were many times I found myself wiping away the tears. There were some tough issues to deal with. The author does a great job of allowing you to get inside of the heads of all the main players. Sometimes private thoughts are not so pretty. Although isn't that reality. But it also allows you to see that many times what you see on the outside is very different from what's on the inside. There was plenty of romantic tension, which I LOVED and the characters were true to life and fully fleshed out! I would not classify this as a 'feel good' story but it is a story where there is hope. It had a completely satisfying ending while leaving the door wide open for Book 3, A Texan's Choice! You could easily read this as a stand-alone story but I highly recommend you start with A Texan's Promise. If you like a gritty, realistic, true-to-life, non-sugarcoated story, then A Texan's Honor is the book for you. I have loved this series so far and can't wait for the third installment! Great job Shelley!!! A thank you goes to Abingdon Press for providing this ARC thru Netgalley for my review.
Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Abingdon Press (March 2012)
ISBN-10: 1426714637
ISBN-13: 978-1426714634

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gentleman Bandit or Hero!, February 29, 2012
This review is from: A Texan's Honor: The Heart of a Hero | Book 2 (Paperback)
Will McMillan jumps a train with the Walton Gang with the intent to rob the train. They emptied the train of it's passengers with the exception of a few men and one woman. They normally would not have held a woman hostage but it was too late to set her free. Will did not like the idea of keeping the woman. She was being man handled by one of the gang when Will stepped in and removed her to another car out of harms way. The young woman was frightened almost to the point of hysterics. Things go wrong with the hold up and the gang start killing the men hostages. Will decided he needed to get this woman off the train and away from the gang.

There is another character in this book whom seems like a Billy the Kid type. He shows that even though he is a hired killer he has a tenderness about him. He does what he can to help Will get the woman off the train.

This is an adventurous story with secrets, love, faith and honor. Will's character is quite the gentleman bandit. The young woman puts her trust in this stranger in hopes of staying alive. She later can't seem to help the fact that she is developing feelings for Will.

When is it lie not a lie? How would that hamper ones budding relationship? You will have to read the book to find out.

I highly recommend this book.

I have rated this book a 5 out of 5.

Disclosure: I was provided a digital copy of this book from Abingdon Press via Netgalley.
I was in no way compensated for this review it is my own opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars A compelling and intriguing read, April 16, 2012
Danica Page (Salt Lake City, Utah) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Texan's Honor: The Heart of a Hero | Book 2 (Paperback)
Before I get into my review, here's the summary from Goodreads:

Texas, 1874. Years ago, Will McMillan had fought in the open, next to his Captain, Clayton Proffitt. Now he's waging another war undercover, pretending to be a member of the notorious Walton Gang. But when a hostage situation goes awry and an innocent woman is in the middle of the fray, Will knows he must protect her no matter what happens. Even if his cover is blown. Even if they risk being killed by his gang or by the lawmen on their trail. Even if the woman he's risking everything for will never love him back.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First off I'd like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me review this novel. I absolutely adored reading this one. I hadn't read the first in this series, but I never felt lost.

The characters in this novel were amazing. I loved learning more about Will and Jamilyn. From the very beginning, I was drawn to their personalities and the way they handled the situation that life had thrown at them.

And then there was Scout. I absolutely loved reading about him. He is definitely a character that I loved hearing about and enjoyed seeing his progression.

I love historical fiction and I love adult christian romantic suspense--this novel combined those two elements. The book moved at a fast pace and I really enjoyed reading it.

Shelley Gray is definitely an author that I will be keeping tabs on.

In Summary: A compelling fast-paced read with enough romance, suspense, and intrigue to keep me thoroughly entertained. A novel that was brilliantly written.

Warnings/Side-notes: Minor violence and minor sexual references. Very minor and nothing actually happened. Also a reference to abuse.

The Wrap-up: A very well-written novel that I definitely recommend. I'm excited to see what else Shelley Gray writes as well as to read the first one.

Love,

Danica Page

5.0 out of 5 stars A TEXAN'S HONOR, July 13, 2012
This review is from: A Texan's Honor: The Heart of a Hero | Book 2 (Paperback)
A TEXAN'S HONOR is the second in The Heart of a Hero series by Shelley Gray. I haven't read much from this author, but she is quickly grabbing my attention. I read A TEXAN'S PROMISE and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I moved on to A TEXAN'S HONOR to see if the author would continue to hold my interest. And I can say, she most definitely did.

Jamilyn Ellis finds herself it the middle of a catastrophe. As the only female passenger aboard a train being held hostage by a band of renegades, she knows her purity and her life are most certainly over. Not wanting to experience the pain of what it is like to be taken forcibly by a man, she asks one of the more sympathetic bandits to kill her before the more dangerous men get a chance to use her. Struck by her bravery, the bandit does one better . . . he helps her escape.

U.S. Marshall Will McMillan finds himself in a very dangerous predicament. He had spent the last two years infiltrating the Walton Gang in order to procure inside information. Now, faced with the possibility of seeing an innocent woman become a victim of rape, he must decide between sacrificing his own life or her innocents. Knowing he can't stand by and allow Jamilyn to be victimized, fellow bandit, Scout Proffitt, helps him to escape the train with Jamilyn in tow. Knowing the Walton Gang will hunt him down for his betrayal, he has little time to get Jamilyn to safety.

I thoroughly enjoyed A TEXAN'S HONOR. I loved the characters and the grit Shelley Gray infused into the dialogue. Even though this book was about Jamilyn and Will, Scout and his journey after he too decides to leave the Walton Gang kept the tempo of the book fast paced. Both Will and Scout's lives and choices had a distinct parallel and I found myself wanting nothing more than for them both to see they still had a choice, and could leave their sordid pasts behind. Great storytelling, a wonderful setting, and deep characters add up to a enjoyable book. I can't wait to read the next installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, May 3, 2012
This was a good clean read. It has elements of danger, romance and mystery as well as Christian values. Its enjoyable to read a book without harsh language and explicit sex scenes. If you like historical romances you will enjoy this book. Basic idea - girl boards train - train gets hijacked by notorious outlaw gang - gang member protects girl- both fall for each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Western Novel, August 15, 2012
J. Hopkins (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
Others have given good summaries of the book, so I'll address my thoughts and reactions. Both, A TEXAN'S PROMISE & A TEXAN'S HONOR, are excellent books.

I liked A TEXAN'S PROMISE better, but this one is still very good. Both heroes are strong, honorable men, but Clayton was more sure of himself and not as quiet or as retiring as Will. Scout Proffitt, Clayton's outlaw, kid brother, is also in this one. The plot was a little darker in A TEXAN'S HONOR. With Jamie being held hostage and then she and Will on the run, there are almost no happy moments in this one, until the end. With most of the main characters in both stories now going to be Texas, however, I'm looking forward to another in the series. I like Shelley Gray's westerns even better than her Amish novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, July 14, 2012
I almost never read romance novels. I expected this to be a western in the sense of Zane Grey. It certainly started out that way but somewhere along the way it morphed into a western romance with a touch of Christian fiction thrown in.

But instead of being disappointed I found my self completely immersed in the story. And although I know I sound like a complete sap, I had tears in my eyes many times toward the end.

This was a great story and I highly recommend it to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart of a Hero Series Book 2, February 27, 2012
A Texan's Honor by Shelley Gray
Book 2 in Heart of a Hero Series
Will McMillian had served in the war under Captain Clayton Proffitt (A Texan's Promise). Since then he has become a US Marshal and works undercover. He had been with the Walton Gang for almost two years now and sometimes Will forgot he was not really one the bad guys. His Boss, James Walton, takes over a train for the bankroll and silver they take hostages. One happened to be a beautiful young woman, Jamilyn Ellis. Will takes Jamie under his protection so the other guys can't hurt her. She reminds him of a time in life when things were better. When it looks like he may not be able to protect her life and virtue from the other men, they jump off the train. But he knows Walton will send the killer, Scout Proffitt, after them. Walton don't leave loose ends.

Jamie was heading to her aunts in Kansas. They had agreed to take her in after both of her parents passed away from illness. Only that ride from Colorado to Kansas City changes her life. At first she fears Will, but slowly on she begins to trust him.

Some of the story is shown through Scout's view as well. How he is opposite of his law abiding brother, Clayton. Everyone see's Scout as a killer and fears him. Both Will and Scout seem to lose belief that God could still care for them. They had been in the war, and it changed them. Jamie lost her two brothers in the war and it changed her life as well. Her parents mourned her brother's and forgot she existed. Both books in this series have been exceptional.
**Received through NetGalley for review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, March 6, 2012
3.5 Stars

Will is a U.S Marshall and deep undercover in the Walton Gang. He takes it upon himself to keep Jamie safe and finds along the way that his heart is slowly falling for her. Will these two walk away a live and will they find true love along the way?

This is one of my top 5 favorite authors and I love her books but I did not like this book as much as I had hoped.

What I liked: This is a western historical novel and I always enjoy reading about this time period. It was interesting to read about a gang. I was particularly interested in Scout.

What I did not like: To me this was kind of a dark novel. Lots of bad guys. I had trouble connecting with the two main characters and found myself more interested in Scouts story then theirs. The chemistry between Jamie and Will seemed mediocre.

Over all this book was just okay to me. I did enjoy reading it but did not get attached to the main characters which made it a little harder for me to read. I did find myself very interested in Scout and I am hoping the third book will be about him. The book was well written but the story was just not what I had hoped but I am looking forward to the third book of this series due out later this year. This book is getting very high reviews from others and is very well written. So please be sure to read other reviews as well. I really wanted to love this book but like I stated above this story line was just not as interesting to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous Kansas post-Civil War thriller, February 28, 2012
This review is from: A Texan's Honor: The Heart of a Hero | Book 2 (Paperback)
In 1874 the notorious Walton outlaw gang is infamous for cold blooded murders as much as they are for their robberies. Gang member Will McMillan plans to end the killing spree of his violent compatriots soonest though he knows how difficult this will prove to be as he expects he probably will not survive.

The gang stops a train in Kansas. Those who are not immediately killed are held hostage including the only solo female Jamie Ellis. She quickly realizes that the outlaw Will is the only reason she has not been harmed so far. Undercover Will needs to stay in character if he does not wish to be exposed although that keeps him at risk when the law catches up to them, but saving Jamie takes precedence over saving his life though he sadly knows she could never love a violent man like him.

The second Heart of a Hero thriller stars an honorable man who rode with the title character of A Texan's Promise. Fast-paced, readers will enjoy the romance between the "outlaw" and the hostage as Shelley Gray provides a fabulous Kansas post-Civil War thriller.

Harriet Klausner

A Texan's Honor: The Heart of a Hero | Book 2
A Texan's Honor: The Heart of a Hero | Book 2 by Shelley Shepard Gray (Paperback - March 1, 2012)
$14.99 $11.87