5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Movie, Excellent DVD, Excellent Special Features!
Published on May 9, 2001 by Kitten With a Whip

3.0 out of 5 stars UK Blu-ray superior
Published on August 1, 2010 by Christopher D. Jacobson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Movie, Excellent DVD, Excellent Special Features!, May 9, 2001
This review is from: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (DVD)
First, the movie. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is probably one of the scariest movies ever made. It was unique for its time, and there's still nothing quite like it today. The plot doesn't sound like much- 2 women and 3 men make a drive to rural Texas to check out a graveyard that has been 'defiled', and to also relax and enjoy themselves. This last part of their vacation plan doesn't go real smoothly, as they make the mistake of wandering into an area where an insane, backwoods, inbred, cannibalistic sociopathic family live. Things get more and more horrifying from there.
I've heard people complain this movie isn't scary and not gory enough. As far as the gore, it is fairly low-key by today's standards (though I'm sure my mother wouldn't want to watch it, and it couldn't be shown un-cut on regular network TV). There's not a lot of blood till the end of the movie, but the acting is so good, and the screams of the victims so wrenching, your imagination fills in the rest and it actually is painful to watch. I will agree that the movie is kind of slow to get started- I admit the first time I saw it as a teenager I was getting impatient for some action. However, the last half of the movie more than makes up for it.
But if you think this movie isn't scary, I seriously doubt you've watched alone, at home, at night, with all the lights off. The first time I saw it was in the daytime, and it still made my hair stand on end. When I got the Special Edition DVD I unwisely watched it after midnight with the lights off. I couldn't sleep until the sun came up. The opening scene of the rotting corpse in the cemetery wired to a headstone alone made my skin crawl. The scene where Pam first discovers Leatherface's room, with the furniture made of bones and the chickens in bird-cages, gets scarier each time I see it. The last 20 minutes, at the dinner table, has to be one of the most grueling and realistic scenes to sit through ever made. The final few images--well, over 10 years went by between the last time I saw the movie and the time I watched it on DVD a few weeks ago, and I *still* could remember those shots so vividly it was like I saw it yesterday.
The DVD is incredible-the transfer is so crisp that it seems like the movie was filmed last year instead of in the early 70's. Since I'd only seen it on "pan & scan" VHS, I never really appreciated how beautiful some shots of the rural setting are, and also how well-thought out and carefully put together most of the cinematography is. Breathtaking, actually. Until the commentary pointed it out, I never realized how perfect and effective the long, continuous shot of Pam hesitantly getting up off the porch swing and slowly walking to the screen door is. This movie does not look at all amateurish, even though it was made on an extremely low budget.
The DVD is packed with cool and interesting special features. First, the commentary by Tobe Hooper, Gunnar Hansen aka Leatherface, and director of photography Daniel Pearl is fascinating. There's lots of subtle but powerful elements in the movie I missed till now-for instance, the lack of almost any score or soundtrack that gives it a documentary feel, making it that much more disturbing. Hardcore fans of this movie know already this was NOT an easy shoot by any standards, but their accounts of how much energy and work it took to get certain things right, not to mention the really tortuous things many of the actors went through...well, if any actor deserves to be paid millions for a movie, this cast certainly earned it. The dinner scene was the most horrendous- they could only do one take, it went on for 20+ hours, and this was in 110 degree heat with no air conditioning. Gunnar Hansen said that by the end, he was so out of it he started to think he wasn't acting. Kind of gives the tag line "Who will survive and what will be left of them?" a whole new meaning.
There's also some deleted and alternate scenes, including some "lost footage" never available before. With many of them, you can read the script excerpt of the scene first. There's a hilarious blooper reel-the quality isn't that great, but you'll laugh your butt off. There's lots of production notes and stills, along with shots of rare publicity material. A couple scenes are broken down shot by shot, with Hooper explaining why he made the directing and editing choices he did. There's even more, I just don't have room for it all. The menu is also pretty great. I highly recommend the Special Edition to anyone who is a fan of TCM. You'll be able to spend hours enjoying it, and they couldn't have done a better job. My recommendation (for what it's worth) is to get this one fast, because it would be a shame if it went out of print and so many people missed this wonderful collector's edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Freakiest Movie I've Ever Seen, March 4, 2000
This review is from: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (DVD)
As a massive horror fan from the UK (where this film is banned) I had to wait many years to see this film, and after all the hype and expectations which I had built up I was half expecting to be dissapointed when i finally watched it...how wrong could I be? This film had me gripped instantly. The film builds up suspense like no other and when the murders do actually happen they are not ruined, like many other horrors, by almost comical deaths, they are nasty! This film is gritty and raw, with documentary like visuals which only add further to the sense of fear which you can almost smell. The acting is brilliant, its laid back yet energetic at the same time. Never have I seen fear portrayed as realistically as Marilyn Burns haunting display in this movie (but then again I never looked at myself in the mirror while watching the film). All of the factors in this film mix to make an evil couldron of depravity, that'll make you too afraid to look but even more scared when you close your eyes. This film is the freakiest i've ever seen and to say i enjoyed it seems kind'a sick as the killings are so realistic and depraved, but there's no denying it, I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the DEFINITIVE Edition of a Classic Horror Film, September 19, 2014
When I saw that a 40th Anniv. Edition of this classic film was coming out, I actually held out for awhile. I owned the previous Ultimate Edition of TCSM, and there seemed to be only a few extra features planned for the new release. After Amazon dropped the price to $19, I thought "What the hay. Go ahead and order it." When it came in, there was one thing that I did NOT like about it. It was the size of a DVD case, which means it really stands out when on the shelf with other Blu Rays. But that is just a minor quibble. I watched the movie, and thought, "You know, this picture doesn't really look that much better than the other release." Immediately after viewing the new 40th anniv. edition of the film, I decided to pop in the Ultimate Edition Blu Ray and compare picture to picture. As soon as the first title appears, I knew then that there DEFINITELY was an upgrade made to this film. Those very first titles look more cream colored on the previous blu ray, while they were clearly yellow on the new one. I also went back and forth on a few scenes, and there really is a difference between this new blu ray and the previous one. Once scene where the difference is very noticeable is when the first victim is looking through the screen door to see if anyone is home. In the new version, you can clearly see the individual squares of the screen, and the brown rust and dirt on it. In the Ultimate Edition, that clarity is really lacking. You don't see the details, and the color is really washed out. So, even though this new scan might appear to still be very "grainy", if you compare side by side with the Ultimate Edition, you will be able to see the difference as I did. Not only do you get a much better picture, there is also a 7;1 surround track, more commentaries, and a few more extra features. One of those is the Hallowed Ground feature that has appeared on many horror titles lately. My bottom line is, don't sit on the fence anymore if you're thinking like I did that this doesn't seem to be that much of an upgrade. Believe me, it really is. If you're a fan of the film, as I am, you owe it to yourself to grab this new version of this classic horror title while the price is still low. Otherwise, grandpa may hit you with a hammer............

5.0 out of 5 stars Horror at its most horrific, October 8, 2004
First things first: this is not a true story. There was no cannibalistic serial-killer family in the 1970's Texas, this movie was loosely based on the exploits of Wisconsin murderer Ed Gein and the rest is fantasy.

However, what this is is one of the most horrific movies ever made, incredibly visceral and violent even though very little blood is used. The villains range from demented to sadistic, the heroes from sympathetic to annoying. The movie's cheif fault is that its teenagers are, for the most part, very poorly developed. We only get to know two of them, so when they wander into the clutches of Leatherface it's less painful for the audience, if incredibly painful for the characters.

However, the movie excels in so many aspects that this minor point is quickly overlooked. The hot, humid texas atmosphere is perfectly filmed, adding a layer of foreboding to the already tense atmosphere. The killings are done in a variety of ways without being far-fetched and ridiculous (interestingly, only one is killed with a chainsaw) and the acting credible, especially Gunnar Hanson as Leatherface.

The Best horror movie of the 1970's, and one of the greatest of all time. 9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Painfuly good, August 18, 2000
This review is from: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (DVD)
I bought this one on strength of reputation, which i don't normally do. But having seen such other notorious horror flicks as Evil Dead, Exorcist, Blair Witch, Last House On The Left etc...I figured i was obligated to check it out.
Actually it has a lot in common with all the above mentioned flicks. Blair Witch because of the 'apparent' realism and the way it forces you to use your imagination, Exorcist because of the creepy use of sound, Evil Dead for the mad camera work and Last House On The Left for sheer brutality. And thats what the film is - Brutal. The teen friendly flicks of today cannot compare to this. This one is downright NASTY.
It makes every effort to hurt the audience. There is no 'guess who is the killer' element here, no cheesy orchestral stingers, no irony, no subtlty, no reason in the film at all. It's basically just half an hours set up then the rest of the movie is people getting killed. No real plot or explanation just death, just the way one likes it.
It's twistedly funny and not in the 'Scream' way. I mean REALLY twistedly funny. These elements combine to make TCM one of the best of them 70's flicks I reckon. Not as painful as Last House On The Left mind (but then what is ?), nevertheless I felt hurt after watching it. Thats something few horror flicks do to me (refer to pre mentioned list again !).
The DVD comes with more extras than you would believe and the picture quality ain't bad. Wish they'd left the grain in tho...Still it's well worth getting on this superior format and is a killer film in it's own right.

3.0 out of 5 stars UK Blu-ray superior, August 1, 2010
"The Texas Chain Saw Massacre", the 1974 original by Tobe Hooper, is one of my absolute favorite films. It has a certain atmosphere and visual style/cinematographic brilliance that in my opinion is only matched in the horror field by John Carpenter's "The Thing", Sam Raimi's "The Evil Dead", and Dario Argento's "Suspiria". It's an absolute treat to the senses (visually, aurally) for those fascinated by the macabre.

The best way to see the film (besides watching a film print) is to watch the UK Seriously Ultimate Edition Blu-ray (BD) released by Second Sight. I'm unsure if it is region-free, but it does play on Region A players, and can be ordered from Amazon's UK site. Note, however, that there are standard definition extras that are in the PAL format, which won't play unless your TV handles it. (Most HDTVs sold in the US do not, a most frustrating restriction imposed by the manufacturers and perhaps by movie and TV show distributors as well.)

I own and have watched both versions, and the reason I say the UK BD is better than the US BD released by Dark Sky Films is simple: detail. Both are sourced from the same restoration and HD master handled/supervised by Synapse Films' Don May, Jr.; however, the US release suffers from serious digital noise reduction. There is little grain to speak of, and the removal of grain results in a very soft, murky appearance. It's not an altogether dreadful presentation, but does not do the film's 16mm roots justice.

The UK BD shows quite a lot of rough film grain, and the rest of the details in the image are intact as well. Mind you, it IS a rather soft film, and shot on 16mm in the early to mid '70s, so don't expect super refined detail--but there is a lot there to be seen that which is handled properly with the UK disc and not so much the US one.

Light is handled properly with the UK disc as well. Whether the source be the sun or a lightbulb, light looks very natural and radiant on this release, giving off a natural glow, whereas on the US disc it looks flat and dull. Regarding light and dark contrast, the UK disc also looks sufficiently dark when needed (shaded areas, night scenes, and shadows), and appropriately bright during daytime scenes and indoors, while the US release is a little weak in this regard.

There is an issue of difference in coloring. The color timing on the UK disc I find overall to be much deeper and warmer. The reds are generally a bit more orange-red than on the US disc, but I find the reds and all other colors more accurate to a low-budget 16mm film shot in 1973 (it was filmed during the summer of that year). You can see full resolution screencap comparisons between the two releases, as well as between the US and Austrian BDs, at Caps-a-Holic. Note that the Austrian release looks very similar to the US release, but has more detail and is brighter. I'd like to buy this one eventually, but it is of course expensive to import, is a limited edition, and is Region B-locked. (Eventually I intend on getting a Region B Blu-ray player to take advantage of the great Region B-locked BDs released in the UK and other parts of Europe, but not for some time.) Regardless, based on the screencaps, I find the UK release to be far more visually pleasing than the Austrian one and is likely more accurate to the film and HD sources. The Austrian release appears too bright with not as rich of contrast as the UK release, and detail seems more present on the UK release as well.

So, if you want my recommendation, I say skip the US Dark Sky Blu-ray of this film, and get the UK Second Sight Blu-ray instead (you can order it from Amazon.co.uk). It's a far greater visual presentation than what's available here; and again, it WILL play on a Region A Blu-ray player. Just bear in mind that all of the extras are in standard definition PAL format, so they won't do you any good unless your TV and BD player are capable of handling the video signal. The UK BD is truly a treat, and contains original mono, 2.0 PCM lossless, and 5.1 DTS audio tracks. Highly recommended for fans of this horror film masterpiece and for true high definition enthusiasts.

As for the US release, I give it three stars. It's not an awful transfer, and all the extras are of course playable in the US. However, since seeing the UK release, I never intend on watching the US one again in regard to the main feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Movie. Excellent DVD. Excellent Special Features., May 9, 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars "I just can't take no pleasure in killing...", April 7, 2004
Michael Crane (Orland Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (DVD)
Terror and carnage is the outcome for a group of unsuspecting teens in the classic horror movie that shocked audiences all over the country, "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre." A film that still has the raw power to shock and terrify viewers even today. While it may not be overly gory, the end results leads to a horrifying and disturbing motion picture that is unforgettable. It all starts out as a simple country road trip that sounds like the perfect way to spend some time for a group of five friends. It seems to be a regular afternoon until they drive into a deserted part of Texas. A strange hitchhiker unleashes an unimaginable chain-of-events that lead to murder, cannibalism and psychotic killers.
I don't care how old this movie is, I still always find myself numb with shock and disbelief every time I watch this brutal classic. It shows you that you don't need a lot of blood and gore to be disturbing or uneasy. The way the film is shot leads you to believe that this stuff actually happened. It's as if you're actually watching real killings caught on camera. That's how powerful this movie is. There are definitely more than a few uneasy moments that make me squirm and cringe, and that is becoming quite the challenge these days, I must be honest.
Sure, it might be a tad dated. However, this does not take away any of the film's power. Inspired by a true story (loosely based on the infamous killer, Ed Gein), this movie has a great script and a nice cast behind it. It never feels overly goofy, nor does it ever feel that it is dragging on too long. Tobe Hooper did an excellent job with such a low budget. To be honest, I think the low budget helped. This would not be the same movie had there been a bigger budget to jazz it all up. The low budget forced Hooper to find a successful way to shoot the movie, and he did. The balance of everything is just right.
I didn't buy the new edition that came out a few months ago, as it appeared that it was no different from the version I'm reviewing right now. The DVD has a fair amount of interesting extras. The picture and sound quality is as good as it can get. I'm sure it beats any old VHS copy out there. Extras included are deleted/alternate scenes, the original mono soundtrack for true die-hard fans, commentary, still photos, blooper reel, original trailers and TV spots, and more. A nice package that does a horror classic the justice that it deserves.
"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" will always be remembered as an ultimate classic that redefined the horror genera as we know it. It is not for people with weak hearts or people who get easily sickened by senseless acts of brutal violence. Even after all of these years, this film has the undeniable power to shock and terrify audiences all around. If you have not seen it yet, go check it out as soon as you can. A landmark horror movie that always delivers, time and time again. -Michael Crane

4.0 out of 5 stars What about the DVD?, December 11, 1999
Lee Thomas (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (DVD)
Well yes the film is damn good, and yes if you get into it it scares you out of your mind. This is not because of the simple shock tatics like you'd expect but down to the realism of the thing, ther's little blood but the main characters screaming just went right through me. I suppose to sum it up i'd refer to it as SCooby Doo does extreme horror. Anyway as for the DVD there are two things i must mention; 1.Since the movie was originally shot on 16mm film don't expect a crystal clear image, it's a little muddy but still a lot better than the print i saw in a cinema just last week. 2.The extras on this disc are great. There's loads of extra footage complete with a text intro to each item. Furthermore the commentary is continuous (the director, director of photography and leatherface himself)and very insightful to both the film making process and gags on set. There's also stills of merchandise and posters from all over the world, as well as trailers for part 2, 3 and 4 (with 3 proving to be the funniest). Kidnapping and dismembering teenagers has never been so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can Toss Your Pioneer DVD(s) Now, August 3, 2006
This review is from: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (2-Disc Ultimate Edition) (DVD)
When Pioneer released their first DVD of 1974's "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" on October 6, 1998, it did not include the Tobe Hooper/Don May approved transfer that was used on Elite Entertainment's 1996 LaserDisc. Somehow, Pioneer got their hands on a backup copy, a workprint, that didn't have all of the digital restoration that the LD transfer had. Because of this, Pioneer's transfer suffers from being too dark, bad encoding resulting in still images appearing to move, color bleeding, and black and white lines occassionally popping up during the picture. Pioneer screwed up, bad. What's worse, five years later in 2003, Pioneer announced it was rereleasing The Texas Chain Saw Massacre on DVD as a 30th Anniversary Special Edition (even though the 30th Anniversary wasn't until 2004), but this was really just an attempt to cash in on the remake. Shamefully, Pioneer released the same disc from 1998 with the same flawed transfer and tried to pass it off as something new. The cover art was new, and very much inferior to the 1998 art, but everything else was exactly the same. Pioneer knew this was a flawed transfer. They didn't care. They wanted to profit over doing as little work as possible. Thankfully, Chainsaw fans are finished with Pioneer and their lousy DVDs. On September 26th 2006, Dark Sky Films (a division of MPI Home Video) will release a 2-Disc Ultimate Edition DVD of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974). Finally, we will be getting a brand new, totally remastered, 16x9 enhanced transfer. Don May supervised this transfer in 2003 for the VOOM HD Satellite Service and has made a few more tweaks since then. This will be the transfer we should have had years ago; the way Chainsaw should look. No more of that botched non-anamorphic junk that Pioneer gave us. All of the extras on Pioneer's DVD(s) - commentary track with Tobe Hooper/Daniel Pearl/Gunnar Hansen, deleted scenes and alternate footage, blooper reel, props and set footage, photo galleries, TV spots and trailers - will be carried over to this Dark Sky release. New additions will include a commentary track with Marilyn Burns/Paul Partain/Allen Danziger/Bob Burns/David Gregory, the 80 minute "Shocking Truth" documentary from 2000, a 74 minute "Flesh Wounds" documentary, a tour of the Texas Chain Saw Massacre house with Gunnar Hansen, "The Shocking Truth" outtakes, and radio spots. Toss your Pioneer DVDs in the garbage and get ready for the Ultimate Chainsaw experience.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (2-Disc Ultimate Edition)
$37.97