Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Texas Standoff: A Novel of the Texas Rangers
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on October 23, 2010
As stated above this being Mr. Kelton's last book, it is a fitting end to his illustrious career as a writer of Western novels. As usual his characters not super heroes. They are the type of people that those of us who who were born and raised in Texas can identify with. Hard working, honest and aw abiding(except of course the villians.) But even they are more like real people. His attention of correct geographical and historical settings is bettere than most authors. Sorry to see him go.
VINE VOICEon November 8, 2010
This was Kelton's last book, and it was a good one. Andy Pickard returns in a story set in the wild hill country in and around the Llano River country. Good story, good character development, great book. Good bye, Mr. Kelton, you'll be missed.
on January 19, 2011
As always, Kelton's novels are historically and geographically sound. While the central characters were okay, the Teals and McIntoshs could have used a clearer definition and resolution in the end. I must admit the end of Andy's Ranger career appears a bit anti-climatic. All in all, still a good read. I will certainly miss Elmer Kelton. He's more collectable that LL.
on December 20, 2013
As I write this, this is the last novel to be published by Elmer Kelton. He had died the previous year, and as far as I have been able to tell, nothing has been published since. I suspect Forge was publishing him as fast as he wrote, because of his popularity. (He was the only living author I was buying at the time, and have found no one to replace him.) This book continues the saga of Andy Pickard in his role as a Texas Ranger, and is well worth reading more than once. As with most authors I do like his early work better; novels such as Hot Iron; Buffalo Wagon; Donovan Barbed Wire; The Wolf and the Buffalo. And if you like this one you'll love them. Buy it and give Elmer Kelton a try.
on December 25, 2011
I bought this book for my husband who is a great fan of all Kelton books. I can only say that he really enjoyed the book, sorry not to be able to say anymore, but if you are a Western book fan, especially Kelton, I feel sure you would enjoy the book (according to my husband)
on July 7, 2013
I have had the pleasure of knowing Elmer and Ann so my review is slanted. For that reason I attempted to balance the rating by removing a star.
This is more of the same characters in his other Ranger stories. As with all of his characters, Kelton has made them believable. The reader is pulled into the settings, conflicts and emotions as he weaves his story of life in the early days of the struggle to settle the state.
You will enjoy this book.
on November 2, 2010
I read Elmer Kelton every chance I get.

One problem with this book. On pages 157-159 of my edition, Ethan MacIntosh is talking with his sons, when all of a sudden Ethan becomes Harper Teal talking to MacIntosh's sons. A clear mistake.

I wish the new edition would fix this. I can't believe Kelton would have made this mistake. I blame the editors.
on February 6, 2015
As with all of the Ranger series Kelton creates a picture of early Texas territories and what it took to survive, while still maintaining their humanity and loyalties to those they considered family.
on June 27, 2011
I purchased this book for my father as a father's day present. He started reading it as soon as I gave it to him and he hasn't put it down yet. The book was delivered on time as promised.
on March 28, 2015
I really like Elmer Kelton books cause they keep you interested in the story I am a poor reader but Elmers books have helped me become a better reader thanks for keeping them interesting