5.0 out of 5 stars SRV on SACD?
Plenty of people have written reviews of this album. All I wish to comment on is the quality of the SACD transfer.
Published on June 18, 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best SACD mix on my shelf
I've got about 30 SACD's now to complement the other 1,500 normal CD's. When I want really well-defined sound I often go for the SACD's. Unfortunately, this SRV disc is not that well engineered, as are a few others I own, and it is not really worth the extra money for the SACD version.

One would like to think that any SACD you purchase will be...
Published on June 26, 2009 by VULCAN

5.0 out of 5 stars SRV on SACD?, June 18, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Texas Flood (Audio CD)
I compared the SACD to the original (not the re-mastered) CD of this album, which has been in my collection for many, many years. I had both queued up in two separate players: a Sony DVP-S9000ES for the CD and a Sony SCD-E555ES for the SACD. I used the DACs in the players and used an "analog direct" setup to ensure that no further signal processing occurred. Levels were matched closely enough that we couldn't identify a difference.
With most of the program material we couldn't tell the difference between the two disks. The only difference I noticed with any regularity was a slightly increased sharpness of high transient sounds such as rimshots and cymbals. If there was any difference in guitar, vocals, bass, ambience or spaciousness, we couldn't hear it.
There are other albums that I own both a CD and SACD of where I can identify significant differences. In fact, with the multi-channel SACDs that I've listened to, the sound quality is magnificent. This disk just isn't one of them.
That said, this is one of my all-time favorite albums. This is my third copy (LP, CD and SACD) and even after almost twenty years it gets played frequently. I certainly recommend the album, but I'm not sure it is worth getting in SACD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Q. Tell Me...What in The World Can Be Wrong?, March 30, 2011
This review is from: Texas Flood (Audio CD)
A. Absolutely nothing. Holy crap, MOFI outdid themselves on this one. I'm not going to write about the content -- there's enough about this masterpiece all over the web. Suffice it to say, this is the 4th version I've owned of this album: 1) Glorious, fat, juicy vinyl back in the day, 2) first CD iteration in awful early digital 3) Re-release on CD with slightly better sound and some outtakes/"bonus material." 4) This new one from the resurrected and better-than-ever MFSL.

With the possible exception of an original LP pressing on Epic, this is by far the best this album has ever sounded. (My dumb ass, I sold most of my vinyl in the early 90's -- including an MFSL "Abbey Road"!) As an example, on "Texas Flood," instead of just a muddy, murky din in the background, Tommy Shannon's bass has timbre, dynamics, and pace. SRV's guitar in the bridge ***SOARS*** -- every note is there and now you can hear the impact of the pick on the string and the individual strings themselves, not to mention the microtonal differences from his judicious use of bending notes. On "Tell Me," the solo is now composed of distinctive notes, not just a big wall of stinging treble.

I still think that at this price point, one should get slightly nicer packaging, but that's nitpicking. Here's hoping MOFI will get into the business of putting out "Super Deluxe" versions of albums of this stature. I.E. there's no reason why SRV's catalogue shouldn't get the same treatment as exemplified by the recent and super deluxe indeed Super Deluxe version of The Who's "Live at Leeds," of which I was fortunate to get a copy before they were all snapped up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable debut!, July 8, 2000
This review is from: Texas Flood (Audio CD)
What an amazing album. "Love Struck Baby" starts it off and is one of their most famous songs. "Testify" is one of the greatest songs Stevie ever did. It shows you his rough, lightning-quick style and why so many became imitators of his playing. "Rude Mood" and "Lenny" are great, but are even better on the Carnegie Hall album for arrangement. "Texas Flood" is a great example of classic blues writing and another favorite of the masses. Plus, the five bonus tracks are great. Some live stuff and even part of an interview Stevie did in 1989, which continues on the other re-issued albums. Since this is the debut album, this is a great place to start a collection. And you will start one if you buy this, believe me.
P.S. Try to watch live recordings of the band, where you get to see the energy they play with. Check reruns of Austin City Limits, or buy one of the many videos released.

5.0 out of 5 stars SRV's Stunning Debut, June 28, 2005
Mark J. Fowler "Let's Play Two!" (Blytheville, Arkansas (The "the" is silent)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Texas Flood (Audio CD)
Way back in 1983 my brother pulled me aside. His voice was nearly trembling with excitement. "You've GOT to hear this", he said, then he put on "Pride and Joy".

Oh. My. Goodness.

That first album was vinyl and we played the spots off of it. When I enlisted in the Navy later that year I had to get my own copy to carry with me, on cassette. Later, we both had to get the CD versions.

Stevie Ray Vaughan is a musician of immeasurable talent and influence. When "Texas Flood" was released, there hadn't been anything like it heard since Hendrix. His tone on that old beat-up stratocaster was hot and brown. (A brief digression on the "brown" sound - Eddie Van Halen said it was the difference between hitting a block of wood with a hammer and hitting an anvil. If you don't get that - don't bother.)

Texas Flood was a stunning collection of upbeat tunes and instrumentals mixed evenly with hair-raising slow blues. SRV wired that stratocaster with cables, (seriously, his guitar gauges were ridiculously thick), then he bent those strings into tortured notes that hit your eardrum the way a bite of your momma's apple pie hits your tongue or the way Catherine Zeta Jones hits the eye.

The title tune is a slow blues jam with Stevie's great vocals mixed in with his guitar solos scorching sound waves - at times he bends strings up TWO half-frets, choking the life out of that strat. The previously mentioned "Pride and Joy" is more uptempo and everything good about guitar-based Blues can be heard on that track. "Mary Had A Little Lamb" takes several children's nursery rhymes and puts them to the 3-chord miracle that was Double Trouble.

I won't bother going over every track - they're all good, and if you're serious about the blues this album MUST be in your collection.

As an aside - I see several outraged reviewers trying to rebut some idiot who wrote "let's face it, this guitar player is awful". I'm very curious if "Bonnie" was serious - because saying SRV was awful would be to say the same about Mozart, or Shakespeare or Johnny Unitas. They're greatness is so obvious that we're not worthy to even attempt to measure it.

5.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT GET RID OF YOUR 1999 REMASTERED CD!, January 29, 2013
This review is from: Texas Flood (Audio CD)
OK this is a review of the 30th anniversary Legacy edition of "Texas Flood" that was released today January 29th 2013. First of all DO NOT GET RID OF YOUR 1999 REMASTERED CD! The little interview segment and the three live tracks found on that edition are NOT on this new 2CD Legacy edition. Cd 1 is the origional album + one bonus track "Tinpan Alley (AKA The Roughest Place I've Ever Been)" taken from the "Texas Flood" sessions and released on the 1999 edition of TF. CD 2 is most of a previously unreleased live show from 1983. The sound quality on both discs is excelent. The packaging (minus the plastic slipcase that used to accompany these Legacy editions) is excelent. I don't have much else to say, accept that if you love Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Texas Flood" album as much as I do you'll be glad you picked this up I hope this review has been somewhat helpful enough for you to make a wise and informed perchase. Thanks for reading. PEACE!

5.0 out of 5 stars SACD is excellent, much better than the CD, December 21, 2003
This review is from: Texas Flood (Audio CD)
I respectfully disagree with A Music Fan from Ellensburg, WA USA - listening both on a friend's Marantz player, and my Esoteric transport / DAC combination, there are distinct differences between the CD release and the SACD on both systems. The SACD provides a delicious sense of depth and dynamics, and 'air' on the live tracks, that is lacking on the Redbook release. In addition, the shimmer of cymbals and the attack and release of SRVs guitar work (whether during ferocious or quiet work) is much more detailed and distinct on the SACD - the leading and trailing edges of notes are much easier to discern and follow.
In any case, you can't go wrong with this disc. Highest recommendation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Should come with a parental advisory sticker., October 30, 2001
This review is from: Texas Flood (Audio CD)
Why? Is this album full of profanity? No. Is it filled with hateful and violent lyrics? No. Does it contain lewd sexual references? No again. Is it satanic or paganistic? Nope. If you play TEXAS FLOOD in the presence of children, will they try to get you to buy a guitar for them? Don't blame me. You've been warned.
Yep, this album truly is a feast for the ears. All this album contains is a guitar player/singer, a bassist, and a drummer. Which is certainly more than enough when you consider that its SRV and the incredible Double Trouble. The songs range from honky-tonk blues ("Pride and Joy") to Chuck Berry style rock and roll ("Love Struck Baby") to a soft instrumental ("Lenny").
When SRV put this album out, he ceased merely being a great guitar player or even a guitar hero. He became a guitar deity much like Hendrix or Clapton. It doesn't just take years, it takes decades to acquire the level of proficiency that SRV displayed on this album. Every note that came out, either from his guitar or his voice, was put there for a reason. Nothing was wasted. It is especially impressive hearing the solo on the title track. SRV bends the strings in such a bizarre manner that it sounds like the tape was recording at the wrong speed. It somehow makes you of it being as both beautiful and technically impossible.
But sadly, SRV is no longer with us. However, he left us a bunch of great material behind for others to seek inspiration in. Hopefully, these future musicians will show SRV the same respect that he showed his own heroes.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Austin they came, January 30, 2008
Mark Hennicke (A stone's throw from Carnegie Hall) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Texas Flood (Audio CD)
Back in 1983, some friends & I headed to Asbury Park, N.J., to the Convention Center to see Marshall Crenshaw & Dave Edmunds on a double bill. Much to our disturbance, we discovered we would have to wait for Crenshaw to come on because there was an unannounced third act opening the show-a band from Texas called Double Trouble ( being unsophisticated Jersey boys, we had no idea what had been going on in Austin.) The group's set commenced with some in the crowd grumbling that they wanted to see Marshall Crenshaw straightaway. Forty minutes later, Stevie Ray Vaughan & his band had finished and the crowd, stirred to utter amazement, would not let them leave. That night I saw a man do things with a guitar with such lightning like bravado, I could not believe what I was seeing or hearing; Bruce Springsteen learned to make a guitar talk, but Stevie Ray had learned to give the six-string swagger. "Texas Flood" is a testament to what rock&blues swagger should sound like, and to what an enormous talent Stevie Ray Vaughan was and still is in the mind's of guitar afficianados everywhere.
From the opening twangs of "Love Struck Baby" & "Pride & Joy," on through to last bonus cut, a live version of "Wham!" you'll be captivated by the sound & the walk-the-walk style of perhaps the greatest guitar talent ever to come out of Texas. If everything is bigger in the Lonestar State, then that includes the sound of blistering blues guitar, which Stevie Ray proves without a doubt on "Texas Flood." This one is a keeper par excellence and one of my favorite guitar albums ever, right next to Jeff Beck's "Blow by Blow." No valid rock&blues cd collection can be without this record. It is certainly one of the greatest of its time & its kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best This CD Has Sounded, June 9, 2011
This review is from: Texas Flood (Audio CD)
I am not going to talk about the music because I assume anyone looking to buy this disc already knows what a fantastic album this is (one of the best blues/rock debuts I've ever heard). This review is about the sound quality. In this case it equals the quality of the music. I have absolutely no idea what the One Star Reviewer is talking about, unless he is listening on a cheap boombox. I guess there are some people out there that like volume boosted, poorly mixed music. Mobile Fidelity has never let me down and this is no exception. They are very consistent in the quality of their releases, which is more than I can say about any other premium label (I liked the old DCC, but their successor (Audio Fidelity) is rather hit or miss). Even if you don't have an SACD compatible stereo system, the regular stereo layer of this CD easily surpasses any previous issue. Five Stars for both the material and the sound quality. Eagerly awaiting the release of the rest of the series, a couple are available now direct from MoFi's website for $30, but I usually wait until I can get them for 5 or 10 bucks cheaper here.

5.0 out of 5 stars The SACD release is quite excellent!, March 15, 2005
This review is from: Texas Flood (Audio CD)
I strongly agree with Mr. Steinhauer's comments regarding the quality of this SACD release. If you enjoyed the LP (as I have for many years since it's original release), you will rediscover how good this recording is (and of course the music itself). For reference, I am playing the disc on a McCormack UDP-1. Both clarity and depth are outstanding. Man, this is good SRV. (Now I wish there was an SACD release of "The Sky is Crying!")

Texas Flood
Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughan (Audio CD - 1999)