Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 19, 2006
I can honestly say that I had no idea what Cash Money Records was or who were the artists on there until I saw Juvenile's video for "Ha!". As far as Down South music was concerned I had just got into liking No Limit Records and I had awlays been fans of Down South artists like Outkast, Scarface & The Geto Boys, etc. Eventhough, I liked Ha!, I didn't know what to expect from a Juvenile CD, so I didn't purchase any Cash Money CDs. When I saw B.G.'s video for "Bling Bling" that fetaured all of the Cash Money artists then I decided to purchase Juvenile's "400 Degreez" and B.G.'s "Chopper City In The Ghetto". After listening to both CDs, Cash Money was addded to my favorite Down South list, especially once No Limit Records started getting weaker once they let their producers, Beats By The Pound, stop producing the majority of their tracks.

One of the first tracks that I remember hearing Lil Wayne on was a track called "Play'n It Raw" that was on B.G.'s "Chopper City In The Ghetto" CD. The song featured B.G., Juvenile, Lil Wayne & Turk, which I would later find out were The Hot Boys. Once I heard Lil Wayne on that track, I knew that once he made a solo CD that he would be a force to be reckoned with. Once The Hot Boys came out with "Guerilla Warfare", which was a nice CD by the way, Lil Wayne was amped and ready to drop "The Block Is Hot". Once I heard that CD I knew that Lil Wayne would be ready for big things. The CD would end up in heavy rotation and my favorite tracks ended up being the title track, "Kisha" w/The Hot Boys, "High Beamin'" w/B.G. and my all time Lil Wayne favorite track "Loud Pipes" w/Juvenile, B.G. & The Big Tymers.

Lil Wayne's next CD was entitled "Lights Out". He had nice tracks on there but "Lights Out" wasn't as good as "The Block Is Hot", in my opinion. My favorite tracks ended up being "Hit U Up" and "Shine" w/The Hot Boys, and "Get Off The Corner". Once controversy started hitting Cash Money with Juvenile and B.G. leaving, Mack 10 getting overpaid and the breakup of The Hot Boys, I didn't like the direction Cash Money was going in so I didn't purchase "500 Degreez" especially after hearing "The Way Of Life" with TQ of all people.

However, Lil Wayne rebounded immensely with "The Carter". Backed with Mannie Fresh beats, Lil Wayne even surprised me with his lyrical content and the overall flow of the CD. My favorite track was "BM J.R." but I loved the singles "Bring It Back" & "Go DJ" and his tribute to the Hot Boys, "I Miss My Dawgs".

To be honest with you, after I heared that Mannie Fresh was leaving Cash Money, I was saying to myself even if Lil Wayne decides to come out with a "Carter 2" that it wouldn't be tight without Mannie on the boards. I can admit, however, I was wrong.

"The Carter 2" starts off with a wicked 5 and a half minute, no chorus track entitled "Tha Mobb" where Lil Wayne sounds like he is freestyling over a Heatmakerz track. After listening to the track twice, I said to myself, I guess he doesn't need Mannie Freah after all. Then the 3 part track which includes "Fly In", Track 13, "Carter 2" and "Fly Out", I was amazed by how Lil Wayne is basically rapping which appear to be freestyle rhymes. Tmix & Batman should be commended by the track, as well as, giving the production over these tracks that are fed by Lil Wayne's lyrics. "Money On My Mind" features a tight sample and Lil Wayne is able to contibute 3 nice verses over the track. Now I know I may upset some people with this assessment but "Fireman" and "Mo Fire" are the two worse tracks on this CD. "Fireman" is clearly an example of when people say don't judge the CD by the 1st single, because if you did you would think "The Carter 2" was terrible. Lil Wayne could have easily released "Shooter", "The Best Rapper Alive", "Receipt" or even "Grown Man" before he released "Fireman". "Fireman" will definitely have you missing Mannie Fresh providing Mannie Fresh. "Mo Fire" is not even worth discussing. However, Lil Wayne rebounds very quickly by the time you get to Track 7. "Best Rapper Alive" is definitely in the running with "Shooter" with my favorite song on "The Carter 2". Big D should be commended with his production and the clever use of the sample on this track. Before Mannie Fresh's production would win over Lil Wayne's lyrics. Now with Mannie Fresh no longer producing him and with his lyrical wordplay stepping up, Lil Wayne's lyrics overshine the production. At first listen, "Grown Man" won't be one of your favorite tracks but the more you listen to the song that features Currency the track will be atleast something that you don't mind listening to every now and then. It's a contradiction to what Lil Wayne would usually make because usually he would make a song degrading women instead of making a nice rap song for the grown and sexy.

"Receipt" is another one of my favorite tracks as once again, the proudcers on the track, Heatmakerz, makes a clever use of an old school sample and Lil Wayne takes care of the rest. The more you listen to the track you will definitely think that this track is dedicated to his boo Trina. "Shooter" was taken from a track by Robin Thicke entitled "Oh Shooter" that was on his debut CD. Robin Thicke incorporates his use of the song and Lil Wayne is still able to drop 3 verses to this track. The reason why this track is one of my favorites is because this track is different from what Lil Wayne is accustomed to doing. This track should be the next single, but we'll see. Robin Thicke has a nice track out with Pharrell entitled "I Wanna Love You". "Weezy Baby" is a very catchy track as Nikki lays down some nice vocals to this midtempo track. "Get Over" is catchy as well as Nikki returns to lay down some more vocals and Lil Wayne is actually able to bring some substance to his tracks instead of trying to win with clever metaphors. The track sounds like a dedication to one of his homies. "Get Over" is a nice change of pace because most of the tracks on "The Carter 2" end up sounding alike.

Other than "Fireman" and "Mo Fire" there aren't too many things wrong with "The Carter 2". There are times where the metaphors that he uses aren't as strong as the others and there will be times when you hear a song with tight lyrics and wonder how the track would have sounded with a Mannie Fresh beat. Some of the tracks sound the same but you can pretty much listen to every track on this CD.

Cash Money may be on life support as a whole but Lil Wayne is doing his best to keep the label on his shoulders. If you liked "The Carter" then you should like "The Carter 2", even without the production of Mannie Fresh. If you liked "The Block Is Hot", "Lights Out" and "The Carter", then you will like "The Carter 2"

James' Top 5

1)Tie Best Rapper Alive

1) Shooter w/Robin Thicke

3) Money On My Mind

4) Fly In, Carter 2, Fly Out (Same Beat)

5) Tha Mobb
on December 9, 2005
I don't listen to that much southern hip-hip. It's not that I'm hatin', it's just a matter of preference. Hell, I'm the first to admit that the South has the rap-game on undisputed lockdown. I copped this Lil' Wayne album out of curiosity due to all of the high praises on this website. I must admit that I'm shocked at how tight this platter is - not only from a lyrical perspective, but the conceptual totality of the package. Weezy may have to replace "Lil" with "Big" because he has pushed his game to top-tier status. This is the type of album that takes a rapper to the next level. This is a clout album, a statement album, a mess with me now album. With this disc I put Weezy in the top-five category of active MC`s. There are numerous standout cuts on this disc, with a considerable amount of stylistic variance. Aside from a couple of skip-tracks, my only real beef is that there are a couple of cuts when Wayne sounds a bit like Jay-Z and Kanye, and style-biting is never-ever acceptable. In Wayne's case it's unneeded because his individual talent and style can stand alone. However, I offer him one bit of career advice - cut your hair, put on your shirt, and make real music money.
on December 7, 2005
I anticipated getting this cd for a looong time...almost 3 months. After coming off of The Carter, anybody would have expected something truly magnificent. Don't get me wrong...besides Juvenile, Wayne is the best rapper out there. But this CD failed to meet my expectations. Here is why...

Mannie Fresh just recently left Cash Money, which left a lot of disarray in the record company. For those of you who don't know, Mannie Fresh has been behind every single one of Lil' Wayne's albums in the past. This, in turn, has been the backbone of all of his albums in the past. Not in this one though. Jay-Z has been a bit of a inspiration in Wayne's life recently, and I think that this rubs off a bit on this new album (don't believe me? Listen to some old Jay-Z albums and then to this CD like I did...you WILL notice some similarities!) Wayne considered not even making this album...but he did anyway. He was under a lot of pressure...and he did a pretty good job. It doesn't deliver the same charm as the first one or his old stuff, but I still have respect for the man.

So what is the overall view, in my opinion, of this album? Still worth getting if you like Lil' Wayne and Cash Money (or what's left of it)...but expect to hear more East Coast type stuff in it and a little less Dirty South New Orleans type music. I'm out!
on December 7, 2005
Lil Wayne is the hottest MC out right now, but this album could've been better. The Carter is better than Vol. 2. On this album, it's only about 5 good solid tracks, and some people agree, but others refuse to say it's true due to the overwhelming popularity of The Carter.

...Oh yeah, WHERE IS MANNIE FRESH ON THIS ALBUM??? Not on this album!!! That's why this album is not on fire to me!!!

Holla!!!
on December 8, 2005
First of all...I'm here to review this album. Not waste time comparing the artist to other rappers. This is a very good Cd. It maybe as good as his first, or it may not be. It just depends on what kind of listner you are. The beats are well thought of, the lyrics are clever and have relevance to what the song title is. Carter 2 starts out fine and powerful and lets up a little at the end. But not to the point where it gets dull. Each song brings a new sound and doesn't get old. IF you're a Lil Wayne fan, this is for you...IF You're new to lil wayne this is a great Cd to have if you like good lyrics....IF you hate Lil Wayne... why the heck did you waste your time Buying/burning his CD and then waste even more time reviewing it on this site? Why are you even reading this review if you hate him?

Now to "rap" it up
-------------------------------------

Overall i think this album is one of the best I've heard for 2005. If you disagree with what i'm saying, fine then, say this review isn't helpful, I DON'T CARE. Some rappers like 50 cent may get better sales, but most turn commercial to do it while others keep it real. Lil wayne has always kept it real. As for "best rapper alive" I don't know... everyone has their own opinion. But i don't know why everyone is getting so worked up about him saying he's the best rapper alive! Every rapper thinks he's the best at what he does. Arrogance is one of the factors that drives rap music... So What? Big deal. Nobody is the best... there is only "smart,creative and confident" in rap music, nothing else.
on April 14, 2014
I remember being in my 20's riding & getting paper listening to this awesome album! This was in my opinion one of the last projects Wayne work on which was spectacular ! The music he made after the Carter II is hit & miss. But this album is a classic!
on January 26, 2006
If you want a coaster to rest your beer cans on so your table doesn't get a nasty circular stain on it.

Protect your table.
on December 22, 2005
Don't get me wrong, I'm a long time CMR supporter. I have all the albums. But now that Mannie is gone, there is nothing left but Lil' Wayne and he suffers without the backing of the best producer in the south. None of the beats are worth listening too. They sound like throwed together guitars under too heavy bass with some ugly samples for good measure. Fireman is the only decent song. Even the Chopped bonus disc is sub par. It sounds low and muffled for some reason. Lil' Wayne's flow is still growing and he's definitely one of the best in the game, but this effort just shows how much a good producer means to any artist. I was definitely dissappointed, especially after getting my hopes up after loving the now classic Carter 1 album. I can only hope that Mannie hooks back up with Juvy and B.G. and gets back to makin hits again. R.I.P. CMR...
on December 7, 2005
Tha Carter Vol 2 3 1/2 Stars.

This is a very good follow up to the almost didn't make my 10 list of the best albums of the year, thought it lacks the charm of the first one, but it's still fun, Lil Wayne truly has a lot of rap skills and originality with good songs and good writing by him.

This is a good album and I'm giving it a thumbs up.
on December 7, 2005
This album is hot...it's classic Lil Wayne. Dwayne Carter continues right where he left off. He's still convinced he's the best rapper alive, after listening to this album you might agree as I do. It begins with 'Tha Mobb', one of several songs that don't even really have a chorus, just a continuous flow by Wayne. Great beginning to this classic album. 'Fly In', the next track serves as the intro, similiar to 'Walk In' on the first Carter, it continues at the end with 'Fly Out' for the outro, great beat for both. While there is not many cameos, Mike Jones is sampled for the chorus on the Swisha House sounding 'Money On My Mind'It wouldn't surprise me if this is the next single, hot song. 'Mo Fire' is Wayne's attempt at a reggae joint, it's pretty good actually. Kurupt also shows up for a DPG sampled track 'Lock & Load'. The skits are all very short, and I don't mind them at all. "Oh No' is probably one of my two favorites. It sounds like a Kanye West track the way it builds the beat around it's sample. 'Grown Man' is this albums slow jam, while tracks like 'Receipt', 'Hit'em Up', 'Fireman', I'm a DBoy(feat. Baby),and 'Carter II' all deliver good solid tracks. The only song I don't much care for is 'Weezy Baby', and really only because the hook is done by some Nikki girl, and it's kinda just annoying. 'Feel Me' brings the album back up to speed, and is my other favorite song. The way Lil Wayne manipulates the beat, and changes his flows along with the track is magnificent. His metaphors are well put together, just like this album. I've been a Lil wayne fan ever since 'The Block Is Hot', and I've got all his mixtapes. The 'Carter II' did not dissapoint, and if you're any kind of Lil Wayne fan, you'll love this album as much as me.