on July 6, 2004
This was a very different sounding Lil Wayne. But I love it. He's left that sound that he came into the game with. Obviously he's older and his voice has changed but he has also changed his style of rap and it makes this album way better than it would've been 2 years ago.
Mannie Fresh did a pretty good job with the production on this album. but Wayne did an even better job at rapping over them beats!!!! If you werent a Lil Wayne fan previous to this album, I suggest you pick up this album and give it al listen, because its way better than his other albums
All the songs on this album are at least a 4 out of 5. That alone should explain how good this album is. Also go pick up that new Lloyd Banks album (Its hot!!! and look out for that new Young Buck--he rips it on that new Banks album)
on August 12, 2005
I've sort of followed Lil Wayne's career since his 'Lights Out' album and his days with the Cash Money Millionaires. I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of southern rap with the exception of a few artists, Lil Wayne being one of them. I'll have to admit, he's one of the better rappers out NOW. Don't get my words twisted, I'm not talking about all time, just right now. On the track "Bring It Back" at the end Lil Wayne chants the words, "best rapper alive, since the best rapper retired." To me that seems a little arrogant and I'm not a big fan of arrogant people.

The thing you got to like best about this album is the production. I think Mannie Fresh is one of the most underrated producers in the game right now. He made dope beats throughout this whole album and all of them will get your head bumpin. On most of the tracks Lil Weezy kills it with flow but doesn't stay consistent with it, some times it seems like he's just talking about not actually rapping. No real simple rhyme schemes which is always a good thing. A lot of bangers on this album but there's a couple of fillers that bring the album down. He could of done without tracks like "Earthquake" and "Ain't That A B****." For the most part, the choruses are good. My favorties are "I Miss My Dawgs," "Tha Heat" and "Bring It Back." This is by far Wayne's best effort in my opinion and I'm really looking foward to "Tha Carter 2," that should be hot. My personal favorite track is "I Miss My Dawgs."

I would suggest this album to southern rap fans and commercial rap fans in general. Let me put it this way, if you like the Cash Money Millionaires then you'll like this album. The content is the same as always and I bet it'll never change.
on July 13, 2005
I don't care what anyone says in my opinion and many others this album is a classic. I'll rate the tracks out of 5

1. Walk in - 5/5 , one of the best intros ever, if you dont buy the cd at least dowload this

2. Go Dj - 4/5 , actually one of the not as good songs on the album and it's still pretty hot, you've all heard it

3. This is tha carter - 5/5 great way to start off the album

4. Bm Jr - 5/5 best song lyrically ive heard in a long time

5. skit

6. miss my dawgs - 5/5 great song, not many artists would do this

7. we don't - 5/5 song feat. baby that talks about how cashmoney isnt going anywhere, with an amazing hook

8. On my own - 5/5 this song grows on you and it talks about how lil wayne is the prince of the south and how hes grown up

9. The Heat - 3.5/5 he doesn't talk about too much except how hes gonna kill you but his lyrical skills make up for it

10. Cashmoney Millionare 4/5 great beat and a great hook but this is wayne poorest lyrics on the album

11. Inside 5/5 same beat as walk in and he takes you through his "house"

12. Bring it back 5/5 classic song you've probably heard it

13. who wanna 4/5 great lyrics with a smooth beat but subject matter lacks and the hook isnt very creative

14. skit

15. get down 5/5 great party beat with amazing lyrics and a nice hook from baby, just talks about waynes life

16. snitch 5/5 great song talking about snithces obviously, with a great beat

17. hoes 2.5/5 nice laid back beat with funny and good lyrics but its stupid

18. Only way 5/5 Cashmoney classic

19. Earthquake 3/5 this songs relaxing but its a little too relaxing to the point that its kind of boring, but its still got good wayne lyrics

20. Aint that a bitch 5/5 Another Cashmoney classic with a raw beat and raw lyrics, great way to end the album

21. Walk out 5/5 finishes his tour through his house with the same beat as walk in and inside

A classic album, i skip past the 3-1 star reviews they just make me laugh, highly recomended
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2004
After the flop in "Lights Out" and "500 Degreez", Lil Wayne returns to us with his 4th album. Main reasons that the former flopped are Manny Fresh's beat has not being as strong and solid as they were in "Tha Block Is Hot", "400 Degreez", and "Chopper City In The Ghetto", second is Lil Wayne's weak lyrics. Both of those CDs were wack, so I was somewhat reluctant to check out his 4th album. After listening to it the first time, I realized that Manny Fresh's beat is back at the level of "Tha Block is Hot", and Lil Wayne's lyric really improved since 500 degreez. Although some punchlines are kind of ambiguous, there are many more that were great, "Life is a bitch, and death is a husband". I also noticed that there is a change of style in some of the beats, exp. BM JR. It's a song with Lil Wayne freestyling over the sampled Bone Crusher's Neva Eva beat. Also, you find more refreshing melodies in some of the songs, "I Miss My Dawgs" if you listen to the beginning intro melody of that song, you would have thought it was an Eminem joint. One down point is that Lil Wayne still has a rough delivery, other than that, it definitely a MUST COP. Pretty well done overall, Wayne's lyrics were better, Fresh's production is back, worth the money.
Lyrics: B+
ProductioN: A
Delivery: B-
Overall: B+
on July 4, 2004
now see i listen to alotta rap and hip hop, but this cd is INSANE! Lil Wayne is soo tight, his voice is just like diffrent than all the other rappers, that are out now, that all sound the same. His voice just goes right wit da beats and his rhyme sceme is amazing... you will be in you chair just bein like ohhh..... I like the song Snitch the most, but every song on the CD is tight, i mean every song I goto I know i am gonna like so i just let the cd play. If u wanna hear a tight rap cd, with AMAZING beats, and sweet lyrics then you def. need to cop this cd cause "THA CARTER" is just amazing, and def. should win some awards!
on July 23, 2004
This Is the best alblum of 04. Wayne has earned much respect and notice with this alblum. Respect he has deserved for a long time. People just been sleepin. "been got me feet wet, b@#*! Im still soakin/steping out ashy i need a lil lotion---lil wayne"

so wake up 19 slamin tracks(2 skits). Only a few haters on here have tryed to find fault in a perfect alblum("do u fools listen to music or do u just skim through it"--jay z), but every one else knows this classic alblum.

p.s.- "i advanced a little, due to the prime/ My N@#*!s call me lil russell crow for my beauitiful mind/--wezzy f baby
on August 2, 2005
Tha Carter is absolutely a classic album. This is his best work to date and im glad he decided to switch his flow up and be like jay-z and spit from the temple because he sounds way better than he did when he was writing. This is an album that you can listen to from the beginning to the end. Lil wayne is the new jay-z ''His flow is sicker than a third flo in hospitals.''
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I hate Cash-Money, and probably will hate them for a long time. Baby, Mannie Fresh, Juvenile (sometimes), and a few others to me were a bunch of No Limit wannabes, and No Limit is garbage. They are depended on their bass banging beats, and no lyrical content whatsoever. Now with this bias going I was in the mindset of never listening to this album at all. The first single didnt catch my attention because I only heard the ending with Lil Wayne saying "I'm the best rapper alive, since the best rapper retired." HA! I said as I heard this. In no way is Lil Wayne the next Jigga Man. Then a lot of people on this website were praising this album as one of the best of the year. I was surprised but still reluctant on not listening to it. I mean I can not completely ignore the reviews because they do bash Lil Flip, J-Kwon, and other garbage hip hop artists, like I would. Then came the 2nd single, and I was surprised. I mean completely surprised. It actually was a great song. Then I started thinking maybe I should give it a try. I mean I also asked a few of my peeps who had similiar hip hop tastes as I do, and they had very good things to say about the album. So hear I go.

1. Walk In (5/5) Beat is so sick!!!! Delivery and Flow so sick!!!! Lyrics, shockingly a lot better than I would ever imagine. This has to be one of the best intros to an album I have ever heard (My #1 still is the Young Gunz intro Future of the Roc) After hearing this track, I was actually excited at what I was going to listen to if more was to come like this.

2. Go DJ (4.75/5) The Track that actually inspired me to go ahead and try this album out. Mannie actually did great when making this beat. Lil Waynes flow and delivery is amazing, very catchy and skillful. His lyrics are a lot better than I would expect of a Cash-Money artist. "Now you know I play it, like a pro in the game, Nah Better yet a veteran in the hall of fame." Very hot track, I have to hear this at least once a day.

3. This Is the Carter (3/5) Eh, this kinda brought me back down, having me say, "Theres the Cash Money I know" Weezy's flow in the beginning sounded very bad, but I guess he picked it back up. The chorus is somewhat catchy, but I cant listen to Mannie too much.

4. BM J.R. (4.5/5) Wayne, your better than Baby. There I admitted it. The beat is amazing, I maybe showing some bias towards these beats. Waynes flow is nice, but its his lyrics that got me hooked. "LilWeezyana, thats the new plan" very nicely done.

6. I Miss My Dawgs (4.5/5) This is a track where Wayne surprised me. I never knew he had this side of him. In this track he tells about the people he misses including Juvenile. The chorus is great! If you know who I am, you will occasionally hear me sing that hook. Song really reminds me of all the people I left behind when I moved, and others who had to leave my life for whatever reason. Really good song.

7. We Don't (3/5) Not bad, not great, aight.

8. On My Own (3/5) The Cash Money factor is really starting to kick in on this album

9. Tha Heat (2.5/5) Eh, this song was pretty annoying. The beat trying implore the gun shots, didnt fit well. But I maybe not doing it justice just because I heard tracks such as The Bont Thugs with Pac "Thug Luv" and Lloyd Banks with Em, and 50 "Warriors Pt.2" where they used the gun claps, and gun shots in their beats so well.

10. Cash Money Millionaires (3.5/5) A lot of people like this track, but I find it to be very mediocre. The beats nice, but it just seems like Wayne didnt know what to do with it.

11. Inside (4/5) This track threw me off, until I read the track list and realized what Lil Wayne was trying to do. The beat, you know my feelings about it, but it seemed like Wayne couldnt deliver as hard as he did the first time around.

12. Bring It Back (4/5) Ok, the track I didnt give a chance at first. The beat was good. Chorus is catchy despite Mannie being on it. It the lyrics and flow delivery that really got me hooked. I still dont believe he is the next Jigga. I dont even think he could top Ludacris as king of the South, but a great effort, and really nice track.

13. Who Wanna (3.5/5) The rest of these tracks are really hard to judge, because they are not bad, but they are not as great as the rest. You know it seems like he left the fillers for last. but they not bad, it kind of reminds me of some tracks of the G-Unit album. They're not banging, but you dont mind them being played.

15. Get Down (3.5/5)

16. Snitch (3/5)

17. Hoes (1/5)

18. Only Way (3.5/5)

19. Earthquake (3.75/5)

20. Ain't That a Bi**h (3.5/5)

21. Walk Out (3.5) Beat is still hot, cuz its the same as track 11, and 1, but he doesnt finish it off as good as I would have wanted but hey I actually ended up liking this album.

This album really displayed some potential of Lil Wayne carrying Cash Money to a level where they can be credible. Ok, maybe not that far, but Lil Wayne can always shine by himself if need be. The album displays all the things the 500 Degreez and Block is Hot albums couldnt, which is a lot. Very good pick up from those uh, umm, whats a harsher word than dissappointment, lol. Well now from this album I got some punchlines to quote from, but I'm out for now.
on July 6, 2004
I saw Lil' Wayne's interview on Rap City and I noticed that he kept mentioning that he was 21 and officially an adult and this would be an adult album. I totally agree with that statement. When listening to the lyrics I noticed a difference in how he told the story. I have always liked the way he could make the listener feel what he is feeling, but every song on this album puts me in the mood of the music. Not just the musical content does this, but what Lil' Wayne is saying to go along with the music. The words go with the feel of the music. It is hard to tell if Lil' Wayne wrote his verses and then Mannie Fresh and the producers matched the track to that or if Mannie made the track and then Lil' Wayne wrote his verses. That shows that Lil Wayne and his producers are in tune with each other. Speaking on the actual music, I have always loved the way that Mannie Fresh uses horn licks and strings in his music. The one song that utilizes these the most is Walk In, Inside, and Walk Out. When I first listened to the cd I of course was taken in by what Lil' Wayne was saying on these tracks. He is explaining the house he has built and paints a picture of this house and the people inside with his lyrics. I thought that was a very good idea since this is The Carter and that is his last name and also the name of Nino Brown's business on New Jack City. Then I listened to the music that was going on behind his lyrics. There is a guitar solo going on that is great. Then the music is very soothing and calm like a well-ran business should be. This would be music that the good guy of a movie would enter on. Then you have the down and dirty sounding songs that let you know who Lil' Wayne is and that he isn't afraid of anyone or anything. The music establishes that feel then Lil' Wayne comes with the lyrics that tell you that. This is a great album. I haven't listened to ANYTHING else since I bought this cd. I bought two copies too. One to listen to and one still in the wrapper. That is how good this album is.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
First, let me say, this album is far out of my niche. I'm at home listening to cats like MF Doom and Kool Keith, so I wouldn't have ever picked this up if it wasn't for my girl. The story is, I heard his single, "Go DJ", and was surprised to hear decent lyrical content, even manageable metaphors that provoked thought. I was interested instantly. I copped it after I sat down and listened to the whole album.

Lyrical content is up. In his previous efforts, those moments were there, but it was drowned by too much booty talk and diamond dreams that I had to put it down. I always thought he was the most talented of the click, and this just validates my theory.

Beats are slammin'. I can't argue that the beats are different from that "YEEAYAH" Lil' Jon wackness that seems to plaque so much of today's music. Birdman did a great job.

Lil' Wayne cusses too much. I hear the m.f. too much, I hear completely unwarranted uses of the word. Like in the song, "Cash Money Millionaires", the hook is hampered by it. It's still lyrically sound and a great, even classic album, but that's my complaint.

Another thing I find is that Wayne has this "Jay-Z" type of flow, which is uncharacteristic, but reveals a maturity. I hear the influence, and if you listen closely you will too. Yet, it works for him. Listen to "On My Own".

Pick it up if you want to feel a lyrical kingpin on the comeup. Pick it up if you want to feel something new for a change. This is the switchhitter album, kid. Check it out. Weezie's back!