5.0 out of 5 stars Great educational fun!
Published on January 3, 2011 by mother and teacher

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the pleaser I was hoping for as a Christmas gift
My 8yr old loves LEGOS, robots, remote control items, and building things so I thought this would go over well. However, it only was played with for about an hour. He put together two of the templates rather quickly and moved on to other things and has not played with it since.

Published 18 months ago by BV

5.0 out of 5 stars Great educational fun!, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Thames & Kosmos Remote Control Machines (Toy)
My 10 year old son received this set for Christmas and built his first rc machine within the first 10 minutes. He did not even have to follow the the plan book that came with the set. The set comes with a variety of building parts, three motors and a touch pad remote. I would recommend this set to any parent who has a child interested in construction and science. This set will not only entertain your child, but foster their imagination and creativity as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the pleaser I was hoping for as a Christmas gift, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Thames & Kosmos Remote Control Machines (Toy)

I tinkered around with it myself and I think the issue is LEGO owners have different expectations. This kit is not intuitive as to how things attach and fit together. There are also limitations on how you can assemble your own creations since some pieces need secondary connectors and you are limited by both quantity of connectors and where they fit.

If you kid is an advanced LEGO fan, use the money towards the motors and controlers that LEGO supplies and you will have much more possibilities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Present for 10-year Old, July 19, 2011
This review is from: Thames & Kosmos Remote Control Machines (Toy)
Our 10-year old grandson really enjoyed this birthday present. He built several models and played with it throughout our entire 1 1/2 day visit. He commented that he really liked the 3 motors and the remote control, a key reason why we picked this for him. He had no trouble following the pictorial building directions on his own, but hadn't shown any particular interest in the explanatory learning material (like how gears work) while we were there.

I was disappointed that the robotic arm was almost too heavy for the motor to lift. Several times the lift mechanism came apart when trying to lift the arm from a full-down position, and the motor really strained when lifting it. I think a counter-balance on the arm would solve this problem. It worked fine otherwise, but had limited function as a stationary unit (he didn't notice). I think it could be significantly improved by adding drive and steering capabilities.

Same for the crane. Drive and steering capabilities would be a major improvement here too. This limitation might reduce the long-term interest in some of the models.

Otherwise, a good construction/learning toy we'd buy again!

4.0 out of 5 stars It is nice but could benefit from better parts, December 9, 2012
This review is from: Thames & Kosmos Remote Control Machines (Toy)
This is a nice educational kit. I gave it to my 10 year old daughter recently. It uses plastic parts and plastic gears and snap-on parts. No screws or bolts are used. This has the advantage of being simple to build but the disadvantage that machines do not work well. The cars are fine but things that use lots of gears and specially those that put stress on gears tend to fail. The Robotic Arm is a good example. The gears that lift the arm up and down too flimsy to handle the weight of the fully extended arms. I was initially disappointed but then realized this is a good opportunity to teach my daughter how things break. It demonstrates the principle of levers very well. Because the gears handle the arm when the hands are pulled in but fail when the hands are extended. If I reinforce the gears buy holding them tight with my hands I can show how to compensate for the additional strain. So while the arm is not practical as a robotic arm it is very practical as a tool to show how they work and where the stress points are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice educational toy but parts quality could have been better, October 24, 2013
This review is from: Thames & Kosmos Remote Control Machines (Toy)
This is a very nice toy when it comes to learning about the gears and the motors. My kid, a die-hard LEGO fan, has fallen in love with this non-LEGO too. The toy and the overall concept is fantastic. However, quality of some of the plastic parts could have been better for the given price. My kid takes good care when playing and rarely breaks anything. But he ended up cracking a yellow bar when trying to put the red bolt in a hole in that. That part (plastic quality) is disappointing. Yet, a good toy for the concept and the educational side of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, December 26, 2011
This review is from: Thames & Kosmos Remote Control Machines (Toy)
This was one of several toys my 9 year old received for Christmas and it is by far the most played with. In fact it is one of the best 'toys' I have purchased and am surprised why this one isn't more popular than it is. Its educational value surpasses any toy on the market today - we have a lot of the popular engineering toys- Snap Circuits, K-nex, Lego, but this one combined with the remote control is beyond words- I am talking education meets excitement! It is undoubtedly quite time-consuming, each model taking anywhere from 20 min to 2 hours to build so if its not for an extremely science inclined child, don't bother, otherwise its because of that very element of complexity that it is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandson, age 9, loves this!, September 11, 2013
This review is from: Thames & Kosmos Remote Control Machines (Toy)
Well worth the money as directions are easy to follow and the motor-controlled machines that can be made are terrific! Perfect for the young person especially during winter months when more time indoors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for an Active 7 Year-Old, July 9, 2013
This review is from: Thames & Kosmos Remote Control Machines (Toy)
While I have not been present while my very active 7 year-old grandson was putting projects together, he has enjoyed it and has spent many hours building the various vehicles in the kit. This was a perfect solution for him. He has had many hours of building numerous Lego objects, so this kit fit his advanced building skills well. In short, he loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to build, fun to use!, May 29, 2013
This review is from: Thames & Kosmos Remote Control Machines (Toy)
Although the kit was pricy compared to lesser-quality kits, it was worth the extra money. My eight-year-old and I have built four of the ten machines, including the very fun robotic arm. Once you get used to the directions, which are heavy on graphics and short on words, it is relatively easy to build each project in under an hour. And the quality of the pieces and the connectors is good. So far, we haven't had anything fall apart during use.

I would encourage anyone buying these kits to invest in rechargeable AA batteries and a charger, because the electric motors draw down the batteries quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Robotics Model, March 29, 2013
This review is from: Thames & Kosmos Remote Control Machines (Toy)
I purchased this to teach an introduction to robotics.

The kit has several projects to choose from. From very easy to a little more complex.

The easiest model took about 5 minutes to construct. The most advanced model took about 35 minutes.

Thames & Kosmos Remote Control Machines