Most helpful positive review
7 of 7 people found the following review helpful
One of the best books to read to little kids.
on November 25, 2010
This is my first Amazon Review. I usually can't get my lazy self to write a review even when for an excellent high quality work such as this one.
But this book is so exceptionally well done that not only did it motivate me to write a review, it motivated me to buy some copies of it so I could give it to my kid's school and their cousins. The book's writer (and illustrator) go to great lengths to make it entertaining and very informative.
I think the really good reviewers have already written good reviews of this book, so let me just give a quick list of "Pros/Cons"
* The message: The story is about a great American, hard work, and the ability of one persistent person to make a difference
* The humor: The humor of this book is not ugly or over the top, it is on two levels so it would make both parents and kids crack up. Humor is expressed both through text and the illustrations. This book is not a serious narration of facts.
* The organization: The book is really in two parts. The first section is the richly illustrated low-text exposition of what Sarah did. Then there is a detailed bio about Sarah and a little history about her time.
* Sensitivity: The book is written from a liberal perspective (in the non-political meaning of the phrase), it doesn't look down on Sarah (even when explaining that she wasn't your typical woman's rights advocate), it doesn't demonize the south, it doesn't whitewash the north. The illustrator draws depictions from every kind of American -- not just the white ones that I grew up seeing in my books about Thanksgiving when I was a child.
* Respect: Even though this book is short, it doesn't disrespect its readers, even the youngsters, by oversimplifying anything. The history lesson even clarifies how bad our country acted at times (explaining how the Navajo were treated during the civil war)
O.K. So this isn't really a major knock, but the hard cover book could be a little sturdier. It is fairly well bound but I felt the pages could be a little thicker so they would survive a class room for years.
Good job Laurie & Matt! This book left me with a very good feeling.