Thank you to Henrietta and the Lacks family . . .

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2010 9:11:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2010 9:20:46 PM PST
Joanna says:
. . . for the myriad contributions to science the HeLa cells have made possible and the ways they have benefited us all. This wasn't something you signed on for, and the book made clear how very hard and painful it was for you when Henrietta's identity was revealed. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that but felt great admiration of your courage and think you SHOULD get something from the companies marketing the cells even if they are not legally required to do that. It would be the right thing to do in a very unique case and need not establish precedent. If there were a fund somewhere I'd send your something myself, but I think some biotech company could earn a lot of respect and good will by doing something itself--and so could Johns Hopkins. Not because it's required, but because it would be just. When Henrietta's identity was revealed, it seems to me that carried with it a responsibility to her family that was never met.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010 10:29:25 PM PST
Rebecca Skloot has set up a scholarship fund for Henrietta's descendents. You may learn more about the Henrietta Lacks Foundation on Rebecca's site, http://rebeccaskloot.com/book-special-features/henrietta-lacks-foundation/.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2010 6:40:24 PM PST
Joanna says:
Thank you very much for this information!

Posted on Aug 25, 2010 9:42:11 AM PDT
Sweetcheeks says:
Thank you, This is exactly what I was looking for. FINALLY!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 25, 2010

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (Hardcover - 2010)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (3,104)