Thanks AT&T for depriving me of my free PvZ

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2011 4:21:31 AM PDT
Jennifer L says:
Why can't I just purchase it now and leave it uninstalled until I either bail on AT&T or they come to their senses and let me use Amazon's app store.

The other apps, I was disappointed but thought, "meh, I don't play those games so at least I don't know what I'm missing"... But PvZ? Why, AT&T, WHY?!

Posted on May 31, 2011 5:20:01 AM PDT
Bounty22 says:
Do you have a Atrix?
There are several ways to get sideloader to install apps from sd.
I can install the App with my At&t Atrix.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 6:25:57 AM PDT
what phone do you have?

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 6:28:20 AM PDT
If you use the Amazon website you can "purchase" the app and have it on your account and available to you forever. I've done this with a few apps that looked interesting but wouldn't run on either my original Moto Droid or my Nook Color. The apps (from what I can tell) are tied to your Amazon.com account, NOT your phone or device. So if you get a new phone and download the Amazon app store on it, sign in with your account, it will show you all of the apps you have purchased and will give you the option to download them. Hope that helps!

Posted on May 31, 2011 7:29:43 AM PDT
»»Bob«« says:
I also purchased this from Amazon.com even though I currently can't run on my phone.

Posted on May 31, 2011 7:34:37 AM PDT
D.W says:
You CANNOT purchase amazon apps until you link your amazon account to a phone. People who have not installed the amazon appstore onto their device and linked their amazon account to that device will be unable to purchase any amazon apps.

Quote from customer service
"Currently if you don't have an android phone registered to your account, you won't be able to purchase any apps."

Posted on May 31, 2011 7:41:30 AM PDT
Jennifer L says:
I have a Captivate / Galaxy S.

1) AT&T does not allow Amazon app store
2) Captivate does not allow you to turn off the setting that prevents you from installing apps that aren't from the Android Market. (Most Android phones allow you to change this setting)

The ONLY way to get these apps on a Samsung Captivate through AT&T is to root your phone and manually fiddle with the setting that blocks 3rd party apps.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 8:06:00 AM PDT
AT&T does allow Amazon appstore now. They pushed a fix for it over the air the last couple weeks. My Captivate has the Appstore now and I have been having no issues with Amazon apps

Posted on May 31, 2011 8:15:28 AM PDT
My AT&T samsung infuse works fine with the Amazon app store.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 8:23:22 AM PDT
Jennifer L says:
It does not. Searched the Market right now and it's not listed.

The app store will install successfully if you've already rooted your phone, but will not install if you haven't voided your warrantee yet. ;)

I'm on the e-mail list for when AT&T starts allowing the app store, and haven't heard a peep nor seen it listed/available on the Android market for AT&T Samsung Captivate.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 8:53:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2011 8:54:18 AM PDT
D.W says:
Bob,
How have you done this? Have you ever logged into the amazon appstore on an android device?

Posted on May 31, 2011 9:32:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2011 9:35:29 AM PDT
AT&T does allow Amazon appstore now. They pushed a fix for it over the air the last couple weeks. My Captivate has the Appstore now and I have been having no issues with Amazon apps

^ I can confirm this. I was sideloading with the SL Wonderapp (no rooting) but now my Captivate will install direct from the Amazon app store. Think it started working 2 weeks ago. Maybe it works for the Captivate users that upgraded to Froyo? My phone is stock never rooted. The only time I've gone around At&t's walls was when I needed to sideload the apps.

Jennifer - I'm on the e-mail list too and never heard anything. Would it surprise you if you never heard from them even if it was fixed? Come on it's At&t ;P Look how long it took Samsung to get the Froyo update out which I'm assuming had to do with all the hoops they had to jump through for At&t.. though I'm sure each blames the other.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 9:35:58 AM PDT
Jennifer L says:
Well, I'm searching for it on my Captivate right now and no Amazon app store. Tried installing, still no beans. So maybe they're pushing it out in waves?

Who knows, but searching for "amazon", "amazon app store", or clicking the link after having it e-mailed directly from Amazon don't work for me -- the first two show no results and the last one tells me I can't install apps that aren't from the Market.

Posted on May 31, 2011 9:45:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2011 9:46:20 AM PDT
Just found this.. it is in waves depending on your phone
http://www.geekwire.com/2011/amazons-appstore-finally-att-android-devices

Users will not need to take any action as their phone will receive the update automatically. At this time, we are able to send upgrades to the following devices: HTC Inspire 4G, Samsung Captivate, HTC Aria and the LG Thunder.

Weird though your captivate doesn't work. Did you upgrade to Froyo? Anyways good luck. Can't wait to play this finally!

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 10:12:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2011 10:18:00 AM PDT
B. faber says:
There is a way to sideload, search on androidcentral.com its easy from posts ive seen, on AC then look for z4root apk on xdadevelopers.com
You can either permant root or temporary root with it, werks on most devices, to untemporary root it just power off device/remove batt. N back to nrmal, download wifi tether, to share mobile hotspot for free

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 10:19:49 AM PDT
B. faber says:
Sprint version of galaxy s was the same

Posted on May 31, 2011 12:17:56 PM PDT
Jennifer Leising says:
"It does not. Searched the Market right now and it's not listed."

Just to be clear, you're saying that you're searching the Google Android Market for a competing product, the Amazon AppStore? Umm, I don't think that's how it works. Have you tried visiting Amazon.com with your phone? That should allow you to install the AppStore if your phone is now able to do so.

Posted on May 31, 2011 2:01:13 PM PDT
"for your security your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in android market"

I installed the app but it won't let me access it, it just gives me that ^
I'm using Galaxy S.

Posted on May 31, 2011 2:14:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2011 2:20:51 PM PDT
In the android forums specifically the Captivate section there is a thread with people discussing the OTA update. Seems alot have gotten it but then there are some still having issues with it after trying to talk to customer service and have them manually push the update to their phone. http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/336864-t-pushing-updates-enable-sideloading-older-phones.html is the link to see if perhaps some of the suggestions there work for you.

Posted on May 31, 2011 5:07:37 PM PDT
works for Captivate / Galaxy S. download the amazon.com app then sign in...and the on the main screen you will see the link to the amazon app store will pop up....download the amazon app store within the amazon.com app and the offer for the game will pop up and then download.

Posted on May 31, 2011 5:37:17 PM PDT
Jon W says:
It would be nice to be able to download the .apk files so we can install them manually via SD cards on our devices; why does Amazon not want us to do this?

Posted on May 31, 2011 7:42:17 PM PDT
Ryan says:
Only some phones on AT&T allow sideloading. Sadly, the Atrix (their flagship phone) does not have this ability yet. Come on AT&T and Motorola, please get on this!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2011 6:21:22 AM PDT
sakanagai says:
As far as I am aware, the Amazon App Store is not available for download via the Android. You have to download the APK (Amazon can text or email a direct link) and use that to install. All updates are done via the app itself, not the Market.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 4:13:57 PM PDT
A. Hammer says:
The Atrix, Captivate, Infuse, and Inspire all are compatible with the Amazon App store now, the update began rolling out almost a month ago. To see if you have it open your settings and go to applications. The should be a spot for "Unknown Sources" If there is not you have not gotten the update yet and you should probably call AT&T and ask them to push it to you. Most reps by now should have heard of it, although from what I gather AT&T didn't notify their CS reps about it so some might not have any idea what you/re talking about. Sadly I've known about the update since the day it was announced and have yet to receive it, although I'm about to make another call to Customer Service and have the push it manually for me again. If that doesn't work I'm gonna root and install a custom ROM so I can have wifi tethering without having to pay extra for it. Also there are Gingerbread ROMS for all 4 of the phones I mentioned so that is another option to bypass all of AT&T's ridiculous lockdown of their Android phones.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 4:49:25 PM PDT
Ryan says:
Do you have a link? My understanding is that the Atrix was not part of the rollout. It is supposed to come out in the near future.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  May 31, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Plants vs. Zombies (WiFi Download Only)
Plants vs. Zombies (WiFi Download Only) by PopCap Games, Inc.
3.6 out of 5 stars   (4,330)