5.0 out of 5 stars Rick Saves Thanksgiving, January 1, 1999
This review is from: Thanksgiving 101 (Paperback)
I am a non-cooking, hotel hopping film actress. I've been on the road for several years, spending most thanksgivings eating room service turkey or having some European Film Crew Chef attempt to prepare the quintessential American Feast. Do they even eat Turkey in France? This year I found myself at home and, under pressure from my very large Italian family, I made my first T-giving turkey dinner.I happened upon Rick's book and studied it feverishly. I stashed it in my kitchen in a strtegic location; lest I be accused of cheating. My meal went off like a charm. So well, that my Catholic guilt got the best of me and I confessed. Each of my five sisters summarily went and bought the book. I can't wait until next year.Thank you Rick, With appreciation, Linda Fiorentino.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for 1st time or 99th time Thanksgiving cooks!, October 18, 1998
This review is from: Thanksgiving 101 (Paperback)
Rick Rodgers has many previous cookbooks to his credit, but this is his best. Whether you are a veteran at Thanksgiving dinner prepapration, a first-timer, or somewhere in between, this volume will give you ideas, strategies, and a couple of wonderful stories about how the author has handled the meal over the years.
The recipes deal with formal service, buffets, and even a possible solution for cooks who have to deal with televised football that is in competition with the meal. Whatever your meal plans, there are ideas & solutions here.
There are many traditional dishes documented clearly for those of us who were not paying attention at Grandma's or Mom's elbow, along with some more modern variations on the Thanksgiving theme. Above all, Rodgers knows and understands the limitations of the average American kitchen, and just how much space that we have available in our freezers, refrigerators, and ovens. The recipes acknowledge this nicely, and he often presents a top-of-the-stove alternative to some dishes, rather than forcing us to jam yet another casserole into an already overcrowded oven.
On the subject of buffets (which more of us seem to be embracing nowadays), he gives some practical suggestions so that the host/ess does not end up with half a dozen veggie casseroles, but no salads. Many of the recipes have steps that can be prepared earlier in the week, and then put into play on the Big Day.
Most of all, there is a nice tone to the book. The author acknowledges many of the traditional Thanksgiving dishes that we have all known or experienced (Jell-O molds, Campbell's Green Bean Bake, canned cranberry sauce), while gently presenting alternatives for those who would like something just a little bit different this year.
It's only mid-October, but I now have my family's Thanksgiving dinner planned right down to the desserts!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thanksgiving Miracle, August 6, 2000
This review is from: Thanksgiving 101 (Paperback)
I can't cook at all and this book taught me to make incredibly good gravy. Everything else was wonderful, too, but the gravy was the part I figured was the impossible dream. If I can cook from this book and succeed, ANYBODY can cook from this book and succeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great holiday handbook, January 22, 2002
Evelyn Pidgeon (Mesa, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanksgiving 101 (Paperback)
I have used this book for 3 Thanksgivings now. Even if you stick to the timeless turkey/stuffing/mashed potatoes/gravy, like we do, this book will help you do it better and faster. I've managed to add some new side items each year from this book and my family has loved them all. Rick's common sense cooking tips are invaluable! This is a must have for families who love a traditional American Thanksgiving spread.

5.0 out of 5 stars The final word on all things Thanksgiving., November 29, 1999
This review is from: Thanksgiving 101 (Paperback)
I bought this book a year ago when I needed to bring a respectable side-dish to a friend's Thanksgiving potluck. This year, however, I was appointed to be the host. The turkey instructions worked perfectly, and the ideas for getting other people to bring something that is on a par with their skills also came off without a hitch. Thanks for the best group dinner we've had in a long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Must-Have Book for the Holidays, December 5, 2005
Purly Girly (Sierra Nevada, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thanksgiving 101 (Paperback)
I am not a newbie to cooking for Thanksgiving and Christmas (around 15 years+), but this year's turkey was the best thanks to Rick. I have had this book for about 5 years, and it is the best resource for Thanksgiving and Christmas recipe ideas. This year I made the Chutney and Cranberry-Orange Relish that I used to buy, fairly pricey for a small amount. That will never happen again, now! He talks about the pitfalls of the great ideas that you hear of the different cooking methods for turkey and the problems with them. He kept me from making my turkey look like it had been in an accident (pg. 36). You will write in this book and stick your favorite holiday recipes in the pages like I did. Have fun with Rick!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent "Prep" Book, August 14, 2002
This review is from: Thanksgiving 101 (Paperback)
This book is great for all the steps leading up to the meal: shopping lists, ALL about turkeys, when to make and reheat foods, etc., and the author is an excellent writer - he's interesting and funny. However, there were many recipes that our family just would not utilize. Also, there should have been more pie recipes.
His homemade version of jellied cranberry sauce is delicious and there are definately other "keepers" that you don't have to wait for the holidays for.
I got this book at the library and I am purchasing it through Amazon for this year's holiday - for the turkey information alone, it is well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for more than just Thanksgiving, January 4, 1999
This review is from: Thanksgiving 101 (Paperback)
This is one of the greatest holiday cookbooks I have seen and believe me I have looked. My family comes from Italy and we have very little experience when it comes to traditional American cooking for the holidays. This book has made me learn how to cook the best turkey(I have gotten rave reviews, even from people who hate turkey) and I learned to like eating yams! It is also useful for Christmas and/or any other get together. It is easy to follow and anyone from an experienced cook to a beginner can use this book. I trully enjoyed using it this holiday season. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource for feeding a crowd all year long., February 6, 1999
This review is from: Thanksgiving 101 (Paperback)
I recently volunteered to host our annual family reunion, and began assembling recipe ideas. Much to my surprise, THANKSGIVING 101 was perfect! After all, isn't a big family gathering what Thanksgiving is all about?
Not wanting to make the get-together seem TOO much like a Fall holiday, I opted for the roast turkey, which turned out perfectly, and also the ham with the zinfandel-orange glaze. I steered clear of such obvious Thanksgiving fare as sweet potatoes, but prepared several of the vegetables side dishes and salads. Rolls and desserts rounded out the menu. I never had such an easy time preparing for a crowd!
It may be called THANKSGIVING 101, but to me, it's FEEDING A CROWD 101, and something that I will turn to all year long!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best kitchen reference book for the year's hardest meal., December 30, 1998
This review is from: Thanksgiving 101 (Paperback)
I first discovered Mr. Rodgers as a great source of Thanksgiving cooking material with his Turkey Cookbook some years ago. Until then I couldn't make gravy to save my life. Today I am lumpfree. That book also helped me master a perfect roast turkey.
But this year, I had my first Thanksgiving with new inlaws and I needed to branch out for my menu repertoire. Thanksgiving 101 takes the same solid techniques from the earlier book and builds on it with a huge array of great Thanksgiving recipes which are both traditional and innovative. Thanksgiving 101 saved the day!!! This book is chocked full of good solid advice on how to plan ahead, how much to serve, entertaining tips, and expanded recipes with foolproof techniques for a perfect turkey. I found the directions to be very clear and very accurate; they anticipate trouble, head it off in advance, and are witty and well written as a bonus. I wish there were more well written books like this on the shelves - a great value at any price.

Thanksgiving 101: Celebrate America's Favorite Holiday with America's Thanksgiving Expert
$16.99 $6.80