Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 7, 2004
This is one of those special books that involve your children and actually makes them think about what are they thankful. For me Thanksgiving is a holiday where family and friends gather around a table full of wonderful food and this is where this book starts. I like that book includes different families and that it doesn't focus on the 1st Thanksgiving, but about things that each child is thankful for. Parents who love them no matter their actions, for books, cats, dogs, bright sunny days, friends and lollipops!

What a wonderful book that should also get everyone talking about what they are thankful for!
33 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 10, 2008
Overall, I'd recommend this book. It's nice to have a Thanksgiving book to read to kids the brings in the Thanks-giving piece of Thanksgiving.

The things that are mentioned to be thankful for are things a kid would relate to -- mom and dad, grandma (other family), teacher, friends, their room, hot chocolate on a rainy day, dogs and cats to pet, favorite books, sunny days, lollipops that color tongues -- and of course days like Thanksgiving to be thankful with family. It's really very nice.

I could have done without something more interesting than the my parents "love me when I'm good...and even when I'm not" notion, especially because you have to get over to the facing page before you get to the facing page for the second part of that sentiment, and so for a second I thought -- This is a horrible book! But thank goodness they finished the thought, and it comes off more cute than objectionable.

The book does a great job with being somewhat multicultural, representing white families, Asian families as well as a black father reading to his daughter. And while they don't go as far as depicting any mixed-race families, they do show children of different races playing together on many pages. One caveat is that it isn't necessarily the best for divorced or even more so single-parent only or other "non-traditional" families, as it has a pretty early emphasis on being thankful for mom and dad, which a cute-cutesy drawing of mom/dad/kid on outing complete with balloons, basketball and ice cream.

All and all, I definitely recommend this as a sweet and inexpensive little Giving Thanks on Thanksgiving book if you don't have issues with the nuclear family thing. Enjoy!
on April 10, 2007
I buy my kids a new book every week .They both love this book my daughter is five and my son is seven.My son has autism so it's sometimes hard to find books that he can try to read on his own.Unlike other books this one has a few sentences on each page nice bright colors.He takes this book to therapy and the kids there like the book as well.
on January 6, 2010
This book seemed to really help my 2 yr old son understand what we were celebrating. He went around telling everyone at our family dinners that "Thanksgiving is for giving thanks". He even told Santa at the mall..."Happy Thanksgiving". :)
on November 10, 2015
We have owned this great little book for about four years now, and both of my kids have enjoyed it thoroughly. It has a great message about being thankful for everyday things in our lives (family, pets, even hot chocolate on a cold day), and the illustrations are warm and inviting. It's a great length for a toddler to sit through, and the pictures offer plenty of details to discuss (i.e. "How many cats are in the window?" "Can you find a red lollipop?"). We first purchased it when my now-six year old was two; now that she's in first grade, the language is simple enough that she can (very proudly) read it to her younger brother, so it's also a good choice for early independent reading. (The illustrations also feature a lot of good clues for beginning readers who are taught to use pictures to help them figure out unfamiliar words.)
The only negative comment I have--and this is a matter of preference/philosophy--is a page where one of the characters says that his parents love him when he's "good, and even when I'm not so good." If you focus on behavior as good/bad rather than the child, you'll need to do a quick edit, but it's one isolated instance in an otherwise excellent book.
on November 17, 2014
I bought this for my 3 year old son to help him understand what Thanksgiving is all about. He has already been saying thank you when receiving things since he was about 2 but I think this helps with understanding that you can be thankful for everyday things in your life like family and pets. It's not one of his favorites for us to read, but a good one to read for the holiday.
on November 12, 2014
Thought it was kind of boring as it just repeated things we are grateful for throughout the book, no story. Was a little disappointed and my grand daughter seemed bored with it also, she is four years old and loves books.
on January 14, 2016
Last year, I purchased a terrible Thanksgiving book for my daughter. Preceding Thanksgiving this year, my almost 3 year old daughter asked me to read it. Cringing, I did. And then immediately ordered her a new Thanksgiving book. This book is good. It focuses on a topic that is approachable for young children, and it gives good examples. We read this book a number of times in the days leading up to Thanksgiving, and I'm sure it will be in our regular book rotation throughout the year.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 27, 2015
Short and sweet little book, perfect for young children who don't quite understand the point of Thanksgiving. Does not mention pilgrims/early settlers, etc so would not be offensive to those who do not celebrate that particular aspect of the holiday. Emphasizes giving thanks for big and small things in life. Big things being the love of family and small things being lollipops. Very simple and sweet.
on August 12, 2015
I love all of our holiday and seasonal books but this is one of our best. Who doesn't love fall and all of the colors and falling leaves? This sweet books teaches us to give thanks and be grateful. With fun pictures, your children (young and old) are sure to love this one!