5.0 out of 5 stars What is your child thankful for? Read & find out!
Published on November 7, 2004 by KSL

3.0 out of 5 stars Thanksgiving
Good message for young kids. Wish it was in hard bound form. Our four year old granddaughters enjoyed it a lot.
Published 15 months ago by Rebecca Drennan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What is your child thankful for? Read & find out!, November 7, 2004
This review is from: Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks (Reading Railroad) (Paperback)
This is one of those special books that involve your children and actually makes them think about what are they thankful. For me Thanksgiving is a holiday where family and friends gather around a table full of wonderful food and this is where this book starts. I like that book includes different families and that it doesn't focus on the 1st Thanksgiving, but about things that each child is thankful for. Parents who love them no matter their actions, for books, cats, dogs, bright sunny days, friends and lollipops!

What a wonderful book that should also get everyone talking about what they are thankful for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute Book, April 10, 2007
I buy my kids a new book every week .They both love this book my daughter is five and my son is seven.My son has autism so it's sometimes hard to find books that he can try to read on his own.Unlike other books this one has a few sentences on each page nice bright colors.He takes this book to therapy and the kids there like the book as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely concept, decent execution..bonus for multicultural illustrations, November 10, 2008
Overall, I'd recommend this book. It's nice to have a Thanksgiving book to read to kids the brings in the Thanks-giving piece of Thanksgiving.

The things that are mentioned to be thankful for are things a kid would relate to -- mom and dad, grandma (other family), teacher, friends, their room, hot chocolate on a rainy day, dogs and cats to pet, favorite books, sunny days, lollipops that color tongues -- and of course days like Thanksgiving to be thankful with family. It's really very nice.

I could have done without something more interesting than the my parents "love me when I'm good...and even when I'm not" notion, especially because you have to get over to the facing page before you get to the facing page for the second part of that sentiment, and so for a second I thought -- This is a horrible book! But thank goodness they finished the thought, and it comes off more cute than objectionable.

The book does a great job with being somewhat multicultural, representing white families, Asian families as well as a black father reading to his daughter. And while they don't go as far as depicting any mixed-race families, they do show children of different races playing together on many pages. One caveat is that it isn't necessarily the best for divorced or even more so single-parent only or other "non-traditional" families, as it has a pretty early emphasis on being thankful for mom and dad, which a cute-cutesy drawing of mom/dad/kid on outing complete with balloons, basketball and ice cream.

All and all, I definitely recommend this as a sweet and inexpensive little Giving Thanks on Thanksgiving book if you don't have issues with the nuclear family thing. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful in Understanding, January 6, 2010
Jenn P. (Lancaster, Pa) - See all my reviews
This book seemed to really help my 2 yr old son understand what we were celebrating. He went around telling everyone at our family dinners that "Thanksgiving is for giving thanks". He even told Santa at the mall..."Happy Thanksgiving". :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, even for very little ones, November 4, 2009
My 20-month-old daughter LOVES this book. The illustrations are very colorful, not too busy and feature lots of kids and animals. The concepts are easy for her to relate to (i.e. "my grandma gives the best hugs" and "I am thankful for bright sunny days when I can play with my friends"). Our favorite Thanksgiving book by far!

4.0 out of 5 stars Giving Thanks, December 22, 2008
This is a great story to read to children of all ages. The pictures are colorful and help to stimulate young imaginations. The text was simple, yet gave information that led to questions by the children reading the story. I recommend this book to be read annually to children.

5.0 out of 5 stars So sweet, December 26, 2012
I read this book every year to my students. It is a short and simple, easy to understand story with pretty pictures.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thanksgiving, April 9, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A Thankgiving Gift from Grandpa, February 2, 2013
This is a great book to give and to read to your small Grandchildren when they come for Thanksgiving dinner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Thanksgiving book to read aloud, December 2, 2012
This was a wonderful book for children and adults alike about being grateful for all that you have. All the grandchildren and
their parents loved it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks (Reading Railroad)
Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks (Reading Railroad) by Sonja Lamut (Paperback - September 11, 2000)
$3.99 $3.59