5.0 out of 5 stars Postively Posh
Better known as "Posh Spice" of the Spice Girls fame, Victoria Beckham has always been recognized worldwide for her chic, stylish look. No matter which role she plays - singing superstar, wife of David Beckham, mummy to three boys, designer - she always manages to look put together and just right. Not an easy feat as any modern woman will tell you.

Well, Ms...
Published on November 8, 2007 by Theresa Reed

3.0 out of 5 stars Shameless self-promotion, but entertaining in a campy way
I bought this on a whim to read something girly while my boyfriend was out of town. I love fashion books and thought this would have some useful and fun little tidbits. Not exactly, but not a total waste either.

Published on April 30, 2008 by L. Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Postively Posh, November 8, 2007

Well, Ms. Beckham has decided to part with her style secrets in this fun, colorful book to help us average Janes avoid looking "frumpy or mumsy". Whether giving the scoop on jeans and proper fit, beauty care, or dressing for a special occasion, Beckhman manages to keep the tone practical, light and conversational - what you'd expect if your most stylish buddy sat you down and filled you in on the details, from where to buy to what works with what. She generously lists desginers and stores where you can acquire some of the same attire that she favors. The chapters on packing tips and maternity wear are great - surely this will help many of us poor souls be less dowdy when with child or with skies!

Some of the advice is pretty funny ("The first things I will say about dressing for the holidays is to get all images of reindeer jumpers out of your head."), some of it very useful ("When trying on new shoes, do it towards the end of the day when your feet have had a chance to expand."). Whether or not you are a fan of Ms. Beckham, you will certainly appreciate much of her counsel.

There are many lush, striking photos of Victoria looking very "posh" and chic as well as gorgeous line drawings throughout, making the book eye candy for all of us fashion lovers. This is one of my favorite parts of the book.

A couple critiques: some of the lingo is purely British and takes some getting used to (ex: she refers to tank tops as 'vests' which was very confusing for me) and some of the designers/stores she lists are NOT in America, which is only a hindrance if your sole goal is to imitate her style (not my goal). And some of these designer/stores are VERY expensive, making some of her suggesions out of reach for regular folk like myself.

Lastly, she freely utilizes every opportunity to promote her own line of clothing, dVb, a high end line that she subtly implies is one of the most stylish. Although some may find this galling or even annoying, I say bravo for her moxy and industrious spirit - what else would you expect from Posh Spice?

5.0 out of 5 stars I confess: I loved it., November 26, 2007
I read this book while recuperating from surgery and I have to say it was perfect for taking my mind off my health issues. It's surprising. I didn't expect Victoria Beckham to come off as fun and likeable as she does. Now to the point of the book: Does it offer good fashion advice? Yeah, it does. She's spot on when she disses the kitten heel shoe. Unless you are built like Audrey Hepburn (I'm not)it doesn't do your legs any favors. She's excellent in the makeup chapter and even though I don't wear jeans her jeans chapter contained everything you need to know. I wish everyone would read it before buying a pair. It would cut down on a lot of public ugliness.

The chapter on getting ready for a party was excellent and timely for this season. I liked the chapter on maternity dressing and appreciated the chapter on how to wear hair extensions.

Overall this book made me happy and I plan to keep it and refer to it for years to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shameless self-promotion, but entertaining in a campy way, April 30, 2008

Victoria Beckham believes her own hype so deeply that it's almost impossible to take her seriously. When the book is not crammed with glam shots of her -- where it's often impossible to see what she's wearing, even though this is a style book -- it is filled with self-promotion in other ways. Every other page of the jeans section is her selling her own jeans line, when she recommends fragrances there's a giant picture of "Intimately Beckham" luring us in. A stupid move, as both of these lines aren't succeeding, and the book seems dated as soon as it's published. Better -- and much classier -- to acknowledge that you have your own lines in a small section, then focus on fashion and style overall. It would also be better if she had used other models to show examples of her style and fashion tips -- maybe a "posh makeover" or something. But this is not that book -- instead, the focus is suffocatingly on her, so much though that it's pretty funny at times. "Oh look at her again! Another pouty face! Long haired victoria! Short haired victoria!"

I think my favorite moment of unintentional hilarity is when victoria pleads with women not to wear bras with padding under tanks or t-shirts. Presumably one should have fake ones put in instead and have them pushed up the way victoria does? And the recommendation never to wear shorts with sneakers is ridiculous when there are fabulous little sneaks out there by John Varvatos for converse. The recommendation for high heels is, in general, myopic. There's nothing the world needs less than tiny women teetering on the edge of stilettos.

She has had an extraordinary career, even though underneath all of the styling she is a pretty ordinary looking person. When you look at her underneath all of the clothes and style she has really cultivated an image for herself -- perhaps her talent is self-invention. She is rigorous about every aspect of her appearance before she leaves the house -- something I wish was true of me.

I will also say that this book is going to be very useful on an upcoming trip to the UK, in terms of navigating high street brands for a little budget shopping.

So i'd say get it if you really like her, or if you have her exact body type and can copy styles directly, or if it's cheap, or if you care about the difference between H and M vs topshop in terms of sunglasses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too much fun, November 20, 2007
Alan M. Hochberg "Alan" (Harrisburg, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as a gift for my wife. (I hope she doesn't see this review before the holidays.) I took a look inside, and I think it's going to be a big hit. Mrs. Beckham has a talent for combining utter sincerity with self-mockery in a way that is completely irresistable. I think it would be impossible to have a bad day while reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and fun, November 1, 2007
Lisa (Bucks County, PA) - See all my reviews
I just love this book. I have the hardcover version, purchased from Amazon UK, so I am not quite sure what the paperback will bring, but I think it's worth a review. I wouldn't say it's a true style manual; rather, it's one woman's love affair with clothes, make-up, and accessories, no matter what the cost, high-end or Land's End. It's written in a very warm, friendly tone, almost as if the two of you went shopping for a day and took a break for lunch. There are really nice illustrations and some fun candid photos of Mrs. Beckham that bring life to the pages. This isn't a book to read if you're looking to put together a wardrobe from scratch; instead, it's something fun to page through if you're stuck in a rut, maybe looking for an idea or two, and wanting to see how much fun it is to be extravagant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Impractical book..., November 28, 2008
Waste of money. I love Victoria's style and thought this book would be about how to realistically acquire classic looks on a "normal" person's budget, and it's really about Victoria's amazing designer clothing and shoe collection. I enjoyed looking at the pictures, but I would have been better off going to the local book store during my work break and reading it there. There's just so little substance here and the book is awfully impractical.

3.0 out of 5 stars On The Fence..., October 31, 2007
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
When I heard that Victoria Beckham was publishing a style guide I was curious. I'm not a fan, but I don't have anything against her either.

Having now read it (it took a day) I'm still a bit undecided. `That Extra Half an Inch' is written in a cosy style - it's like you're having a cup of coffee with Mrs Beckham. The book is nicely set into different sections; Tops, Day Dresses, Gifts (a lovely idea), make-up (disappointing) etc. And the photos are really stunning.

That said I didn't actually learn anything new. This book is mostly a higher end where-to-buy guide. Come on - are all of the designer names Vic drops really useful to the average person on the street? Are our husbands going to whisk us off to Paris and New York for shopping? (Even if they did have the money I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you).

Also, I think the book is sponsored by Top Shop; I lost count of the number of times the shop name cropped up. We can go to Gucci or Topshop, Fendi or Topshop, and so forth. She knows the name of a high street store, we get it; Vicky's one of us!!

I'm really conflicted in my view. A lovely, if impractical, style guide. I would get another book, if one was ever published, just because of the nice, intimate writing style.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the book I thought It was going to be, June 13, 2008
S. Znati (Bethesda, MD, USA) - See all my reviews
I was under the impression that this book was going to be a guide to dressing yourself to look your best. I was dead wrong. It started out by saying that you don't have to have a lot of money to be classy and I agree whole-heartedly. But then she completely contradicts herself the rest of the book. She name-drops pretty much every high-end designer you could think of. It's a blatant advertisement for her denim line. It is also the most repetitive piece of "literature" I have ever read. Every subject she talks about she uses the same exact wording. She always tells you that you "this type of clothing (e.g. t-shirt) you have to spend money on if you want to look good." I could understand if she said this about one article of clothing, but she said it about ALL articles of clothing. She pretty much scrapped her statement at the beginning and the book turned out to be a way for her to show off how much money she has and how wonderful her husband is. Long story short: I read this on an airplane and I had a choice between this book and a skymall catalog. I chose the skymall catalog.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Read, December 7, 2007
Ok, let me just be honest. I only bought this book because I have an unhealthy obsession with Victoria Beckham, but I was pleasantly surprised. Being an avid lover of fashion, I can tell a good style guide from a bad one. This, while a little bit in the middle, tends to be more of a good style guide. It has a lot of valuable information about clothes, beauty, and other fashion-related issues, with plenty of label/store suggestions that all range from cheaper stores like H&M, to the more pricier Louboutin's and Jimmy Choo. All the while, with a conversation-style writing on Posh's part.

My only complaints, however, is that this book seems to be like one big advertisement for dVb (Victoria's label with husband, David). In each section, she has incorporated a "...oh, and I've created something just as good for dVb" element, which tends to be boring and mundane.

Also, while she does address SOME cheaper stores and labels, the majority of the book is written for someone who has money like her (I added up the value of her "bath and body care kit" and it came out to somewhere in the upper $700s for about 10 cosmetic products), which clearly, most of us do not have.

That all being said, if you follow her tips about style and fashion, you will look amazing (a sexy blonde bob, optional.).

1.0 out of 5 stars Fashion.........DON'T!, February 8, 2008
DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY! This book is pure GARBAGE! This is the worst book on the market! Just another "celebrity" expounding on their views of fashion - or at least what they consider to be fashion. Okay - so she's a Spice Girl and married to David Beckham, but more importantly she won't be caught dead without her high heels!! (OMG!) 384 pages later, I was literally bored to tears. She likes to wear sexy underwear for herself (okay, what woman doesn't!) and she LOVES wearing blue jeans (again, what woman doesn't!). Give me a break! If I lived in England, this book would be a great help, but since half the stores she frequents are not in the United States - we're all out of luck and I guess, not in style. I give this book "1 stiletto" - for lack of substance and no real fashion advice. Ladies, unless your some pre pubescent tween and a fan of the Spice Girls, don't bother with this book.

That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between
That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between by Victoria Beckham (Paperback - November 1, 2007)
Used & New from: $1.73