5.0 out of 5 stars That is That: Essays : About True Nature

2.0 out of 5 stars Dumbed-Down Dharma Drivel
Published 16 months ago by L. Ron Gardner

5.0 out of 5 stars That is That: Essays : About True Nature, January 13, 2012
This review is from: That Is That: Essays About True Nature (Paperback)
I lucked across this book when I was in the Kindle store. I didn't even look at a preview; I just bought it. When I began to read I was knocked over. This book delivers much more than I ever expected. Nirmala's thoughts about the mind and life are like mine. It's like he's looking though my eyes, saying the things I knew but had not put words to. After an awakening I had in 1997, I've been thoughtful as to what I read. So many books are based on the old spiritual paradigm. This book however is the product of the evolution of consciousness and the author writes from that flow. Each thought Nirmala speaks is like a love song to life. I'm drinking this book in. When I enter the words it's like I'm in a temple. I have meditated in caves in India and the peacefulness this book emanates is the same peace. Some books are dry. Some books are complicated. Some books strange. This book is truly the living word. It is alive. I recommend this book to anyone who is willing to give up the daily drama for the direct and delightful experience enlightened ones refer to as reality. That Is That: Essays About True Nature

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete Clarity, March 12, 2011
This review is from: That Is That: Essays About True Nature (Paperback)
Complete clarity transmitted through these pages. Highly recommend this heart opening book for anyone truly desiring awakening. Nirmala offers profound wisdom and helpful pointers for all spiritual seekers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read!, July 29, 2011
This review is from: That Is That: Essays About True Nature (Paperback)
What an amazing book! i have read a lot of spiritual books, and a lot of them seemed somewhat judgmental about certain topics, but this book was absolutely wonderful..i will definitely read it over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me, October 27, 2013
Em (Missouri) - See all my reviews
Clarified what it means to live in the present without resistance. Even accepting the resistance if that is the emotional reaction of the moment. Similar to power of now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, April 26, 2013
This review is from: That Is That: Essays About True Nature (Paperback)
I approached this book with an open mind and an open heart and I was blown away.

It is amazing to me that such power can be conveyed by ink on paper.

Imagine that you have spent your whole life looking for "truth" or "the answer" and you somehow run into someone who just asks you to try to give up looking, so you do, and then, wham, you find yourself standing in front of the fountain of all truth, and it is beautiful, and calming, though maybe not particularly what you expected.

This book helps me get in touch with the truth that lies at the core of my being.

I can't read more than one or two pages before I have to put the book down and reflect and marvel on what I have just read!

Nirmala is a great teacher.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dumbed-Down Dharma Drivel, October 15, 2013
This book was available for free at Kindle yesterday, so I downloaded it and read as much of it as I could stand. The author, the "spiritual" teacher Nirmala, has nothing new, interesting, or profound to say, and when he attempts to explain anything potentially meaty, such as Self-enquiry, he reveals himself as a superficial talking head with no real insight into true spirituality or the Self-realization process. He reduces Advaita Vedanta and Zen to a "psychologized" New Age level, and the result is the same dumbed-down Dharma drivel that innumerable other unoriginal and Un-en-Light-ened "spiritual" teachers peddle. If you've read Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti, and other contemporary Advaita and neo-Advaita-type teachers, don't expect to glean anything of value from this text.

The author's description of Self-enquiry (asking the question "Who Am I?") is a complete joke, and he ends the description with "There are many dimensions to your true nature, including the absolute emptiness of Being, so the exploration is truly endless." First off, Being is not emptiness; it is Consciousness-Energy (or Siva-Shakti, or Cit-Ananda). Second, the exploration is not endless: the goal of Self-enquiry is to trace one's thoughts to their Source, the spiritual Heart (the Hridayam, not the anahata heart chakra), and then rest in, and as, Heart-felt Self-awareness. When, after years or lifetimes of practice, the Heart-knot is cut by the force of Shakti, the Power of awakened Consciousness, then the search, or "exploration" - samsara - is permanently over, and one eternally, or timelessly, rests in Nirvana, Divine Being.

If you're interested in spiritual Truth from an Advaita Vedanta perspective, read Ramana Maharshi (whom Nirmala has read but not grokked) and Robert Adams. If Buddhism turns you on, study Dzogchen texts. And if radical, esoteric Christianity intrigues you, check out the texts "Electrical Christianity" and "Meditations on the Tarot: A Journey into Christian Hermeticism."

In summary, "That is That" is an off-the-assembly-line rehash of similar pseudo-spiritual material currently glutting the Advaita-New Age market; hence I do not recommend it for serious spiritual seekers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets right to it, August 29, 2013
Mark A. Talbot (Crestone, CO United States) - See all my reviews
While this book is a little more linguistically flowery than the austere Zen tradition I am used to, Nirmala nonetheless manages to point to the heart of the non-dual teachings, and in an approachable, friendly way that western minds will appreciate. I recommend it - and the price is right!

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-dual philosophy, with a heart, April 28, 2013
Sometimes you read the same information, yet stated differently than you've heard before, and the door in your mind/heart opens up and the truth of what you're hearing floods in. So it was for me when I first read the work of Nirmala. I invite you to do the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionary, December 7, 2012
A very.... Thought provoking read. You learn to exam your being and learn what you already mysteriously have stored away. An enlightening book

2.0 out of 5 stars Like eating whipped cream, May 18, 2014
It was, for me, the spiritual equivalent of eating whipped cream- tasty at first, but after awhile, I realized I wasn't getting much nourishment out of it. It felt vague and repetitive, and I wasn't finding anything that was striking me as a spiritual insight.

That Is That: Essays About True Nature
That Is That: Essays About True Nature by Nirmala (Paperback - August 10, 2010)
$11.95 $10.21