4.0 out of 5 stars Daddy's Little Girl
Published on December 28, 2011 by Lindsey

2.0 out of 5 stars Way beyond the scope of his expertise
Published 6 months ago by Sandy

4.0 out of 5 stars Daddy's Little Girl, December 28, 2011
This review is from: That's My Girl: How a Father's Love Protects and Empowers His Daughter (Paperback)
There are few relationships more treasured than that of a father and his daughter. Women all over the world grow up but always remain "daddy's little girl." Those that don't share that special bond or even have a daddy grow up with a hole in their heart, often looking for love in all the wrong places to fill it. Johnson gives fathers an amazing tool with this book, to equip them on HOW to be that daddy that every little girl longs for and needs in her life.

When I began this book and saw chapter 1 was called "What Are Little Girls Made of?" I was a little leery. He goes into detail the facts about women, their bodies, their cycles, hormones etc. At first I was bored by this seemingly unnecessary obvious anatomy lesson. But then I remembered, it is NOT so obvious to the men this book was designed for! Some men do need these facts in order to better understand the opposite sex. What a great tool for them!

I love that this book goes into every aspect of girls and what they need from their fathers and HOW to give it to them. So many books go on and on about the `what' and forget about the `how.' Johnson gives fathers very clear direction as to how to build that special bond with his daughter and to give her all that she needs as she grows from babyhood to adulthood.

Daughter's need more than just their fathers financial support. They need their love, their time, their guidance and their presence in their every day life.
Parenting is hard and the answers aren't always obvious. Johnson really delivers a powerful message with his book and one that every father should read if he wants his daughter to forever remain "daddy's little girl."

5.0 out of 5 stars Rick Johnson, family champion, February 14, 2012
As a survivor of sexual abuse in my childhood, I know first hand the damage that can be done by not having a good father in your life. As a mother of a broken, blended, re-broken, and re-blended family, I can see the path of destruction as clear as the path of an F5 tornado in the news feed. I wish there would have been someone in my past who championed for me the way a father should champion for his daughter.

Reading this book as a daughter, wife, and mother, I learned a lot about myself, my husband, and my four girls. I recommend this book for everyone, especially any parents who may be going through a divorce. Every father should have this book and read it, re-read it, and then read it again until it's as familiar as his favorite wallet in the back pocket of his favorite jeans.

If your daughter had a life threatening illness, and the only cure was something that you had to pay five thousand dollars in cash for, you would do it without hesitation. It's with this intensity that we need to be focusing on all of our daughters. Without a clear idea of what a father should be, her life is in danger because of the choices she will make to fill the void. Isn't that just as important?

The thing I love the most about Rick Johnson's books is that he doesn't hold back or sugar coat what the world needs to hear. This book might hurt to read, but only because it makes you face the reasons for your choices and then you have to make a conscious decision to change.

As the Portland Parenting Examiner for Examiner.com, I review a lot of books about parenting. I'm always excited to receive a book from Rick Johnson, because I know it will be full of great information that I can apply to my life to make a better change in my family. For my full review, please visit [...].

2.0 out of 5 stars Way beyond the scope of his expertise, June 18, 2014
I bought this book for my husband hoping it would impart some ideas on how to establish a relationship with our daughter, specifically how best a father can communicate with his daughter and the importance of such a relationship. My husband has been reading it and occasionally reads me excerpts from the book. Perhaps the most disturbing was the section on rape. It seems to be the author's belief that when rape happens, either the father or the daughter can/should be blamed. It is somehow the father's fault for not better protecting his daughter. In the same breath he portrays boys/young men as sex driven poon hounds and says there must be good god-fearing men out there, he just hasn't met any. Teach your daughters that when they become interested in boys it is not their place to call the boy. Instead, they should wait for boys to call them. These are just a few of the tidbits of "wisdom" this book has to offer.

As a Christian woman who was once a little girl with a father, the advice being touted in this book would have done little to help me establish a better relationship with my father and would have done absolutely nothing to empower me as a Christian woman. Too many generalizations and stereotypes to really be considered an effective or helpful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The love of a father, January 4, 2012
Subtitled "How a Father's love Protects and Empowers His Daughter" this book is just that. Many father's get lost in the provisional respects of their role in the family life forgetting or never fully understanding that love is a key element.

As the Senior High Girls Youth teacher and the Sunday School teacher for younger girls I see first hand what a lack of a father's genuine love does to a girl. Few father's truly understand the magnitude of influence they have in what type of young adult emerges in their daughters. They wonder why their daughters make bad choices in careers, life style, dates, etc - it boils down to what they were taught by their fathers. A girl's worth is often tied up in what she thinks her father thinks about her.

I am impressed with Rick Johnson's book in that it not only explores the importance of a father's love and influence, or what a father should do for his daughter, but it goes a step father to empower men to be the very best fathers. In this book Johnson attempts to give men direction, encouragement and advice on how to accomplish the task of loving their daughters in a way that protects and empowers them.

Our children are faced with a myriad of decisions. They desperately need a solid foundation of love to succeed in this unstable world. After reading this as a review copy I found myself wanting to buy the book "That's My Son" and "Better Dads, Stronger Sons". As a mother I want to know firsthand how I can help my sons become godly men - and if Johnson handles the subject of sons as well as he did daughters I do not expect to be disappointed.

Although I am a mother, I would highly recommend this book for fathers (and mothers to read with your husbands). If you are a single mom - read this book to better understand what it is your daughter may be longing for - then begin to pray for godly men to step into that role.

I received this book from the publisher Revell as a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

"Available January 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group."

1.0 out of 5 stars misleading, July 30, 2013
It's yet another religious book. I am frustrated because I can't find any book in this genre without underlying preaching in it. Kinda nice for a ten minute snooze, but everything about the reviews and the title and the rest of it seemed non-secular. I was disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ FOR ANY PARENT!!!, January 5, 2012
THAT'S MY GIRL: HOW A FATHER'S LOVE PROTECTS AND EMPOWERS HIS DAUGHTER by Rick Johnson is a wonderful,informative parenting non-fiction. It is a guide every parent needs to read to help in understanding and guiding their daughter's life. It is a rough time for a daughter,and this author understands the importance of a Godly father in a young girl's life."That's My Girl" is a must read for not only father's but for anyone who is interested in empowering,and protecting their daughter's. I know from experience the relationship between a father/daughters and the importance of a loving,caring father during a girl's young life. I would highly recommend this book to any parent. It gives tools needed for the growth of strength,and is told with honesty,strength,compassion,from the author's own experience with his daughter with ideas,scripture,and from the heart. "That's My Girl" should be on every Dad's nightstand for reference,and reassurance during the difficult times of today's young daughter's living and the future of our daughter's. I would dare to say if we all had a better understanding of our daughter's maybe,just maybe our daughter's would not find themselves in difficult relationships in today's world. Received for an honest review from the publisher. Details can be found at Revell,a division of Baker Publishing Group and mybookaddictionreviews.wordpress.com.
Rating: 4.5

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, encouraging & educational, April 24, 2012
Karin Jennifer Beatty (Virginia Beach, Va- USA) - See all my reviews
"That's My Girl" By Rick Johnson is yet another brillant book written by Johnson. I have read many books by Johnson and am never dissappointed. In fact, when I hear he is working on or releasing another book soon I'm like a kid waiting for Santa to arrive!!

While this book appears to be written for men/fathers, I cant help but think this book could benefit both genders. Even if you do not have a daughter (yet) it can really help you to understand the cause and effect of a woman or child as it appeals to their relationship with their father. I truly believe this book can reach and teach much more lives than the intended audience. With that being said, fathers this is an absolute MUST READ. Its easy to follow, not too long and whether you want to or not, you will end with the book with a plethora of knowledge. Not only will it assit you in being the best father you can be to your daughter, but I bet there will be a few "a ha" moments in regards to your wife, mom, sister etc..

Johnson wrote this book (as he does all his books) with passion & honesty. He is candid with his own experiences in raising a daughter, the good, the bad and the ugly. He also gives accounts from women in the same respect. Some stories will warm your heart and put a huge smile on your face. Some might make you weep. But all of them will light a fire in your heart to make your mark in that little girls heart. Buy the book, tag it , mark it up, highlite it, loan it to a friend but most importantly ...apply it to your life moving forward.

It's a great gift to all the little girls in the world that this book was written and for that, I would like to personally thank the author on behalf of all little girls everywhere for writing this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very applicable., May 4, 2013
This book is an easy read but also addresses a lot of issues about a father and daughter. I thought the book was very well written with a lot of examples of what he is talking about as well as very encouraging to any father. Most men will like this and read this as he is very practical and straight forward; but interesting and not dry at all.

I read this book as I now have a grown daughter (as well as 3 sons) and my husband was a wonderful father. This author is right on with his thoughts and ideas. I will buy this book for my sons and my son-in-law when they have daughters. My sons had a great example in their father, but this book will help encourage them and help them to try to understand what the daughter is going feeling and how the relationship between father/daughter shapes many of the experiences that the daughter will have in her life.

Very well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly an eye opening and life impacting book!, August 1, 2012
Amazon Customer (WEST RICHLAND, WA, US) - See all my reviews
The Men's Ministry team at my church choose this book for a class on Father's raising daughters. The dads that signed up to take this class all have commented on how surprising and how valuable the information in this book has been. I had the priveledge to facilitate the class and it was amazing to watch and listen to dads as they learned from each other and from the book. There were so many "light bulb" moments for everyone. There is so much information in this book that at times it can be overwhelming. I made the suggestion to the participants in the class that they make a promise to themselves to read the book once a year (minimum) and to make it easy to remember, to do it in conjunction with their daughter'(s) birthday. Every dad, regardless of how old your daughter(s) is/are needs to read this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much needed resource for fathers of daughters (and uncles and grandpas), March 20, 2013
BDC (Arlington, TX United States) - See all my reviews
If you are a man and have a special young girl in your life, I recommend you read this book. Johnson convincingly argues that a man's role is critical in the life of a young girl. I appreciate his writing style...he doesn't scare you into inaction, but motivates you and gives practical suggestions so that you can begin doing something. I am a more thoughtful, and confident father because of this book. I also recognize the significant role I can play in the life of my friend's children, nieces, etc. because of the massage of this book.

That's My Girl: How a Father's Love Protects and Empowers His Daughter
$12.99 $11.12
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.