on December 29, 2011
Format: Paperback
There are few relationships more treasured than that of a father and his daughter. Women all over the world grow up but always remain "daddy's little girl." Those that don't share that special bond or even have a daddy grow up with a hole in their heart, often looking for love in all the wrong places to fill it. Johnson gives fathers an amazing tool with this book, to equip them on HOW to be that daddy that every little girl longs for and needs in her life.

When I began this book and saw chapter 1 was called "What Are Little Girls Made of?" I was a little leery. He goes into detail the facts about women, their bodies, their cycles, hormones etc. At first I was bored by this seemingly unnecessary obvious anatomy lesson. But then I remembered, it is NOT so obvious to the men this book was designed for! Some men do need these facts in order to better understand the opposite sex. What a great tool for them!

I love that this book goes into every aspect of girls and what they need from their fathers and HOW to give it to them. So many books go on and on about the `what' and forget about the `how.' Johnson gives fathers very clear direction as to how to build that special bond with his daughter and to give her all that she needs as she grows from babyhood to adulthood.

Daughter's need more than just their fathers financial support. They need their love, their time, their guidance and their presence in their every day life.
Parenting is hard and the answers aren't always obvious. Johnson really delivers a powerful message with his book and one that every father should read if he wants his daughter to forever remain "daddy's little girl."
on February 14, 2012
Format: Paperback
As a survivor of sexual abuse in my childhood, I know first hand the damage that can be done by not having a good father in your life. As a mother of a broken, blended, re-broken, and re-blended family, I can see the path of destruction as clear as the path of an F5 tornado in the news feed. I wish there would have been someone in my past who championed for me the way a father should champion for his daughter.

Reading this book as a daughter, wife, and mother, I learned a lot about myself, my husband, and my four girls. I recommend this book for everyone, especially any parents who may be going through a divorce. Every father should have this book and read it, re-read it, and then read it again until it's as familiar as his favorite wallet in the back pocket of his favorite jeans.

If your daughter had a life threatening illness, and the only cure was something that you had to pay five thousand dollars in cash for, you would do it without hesitation. It's with this intensity that we need to be focusing on all of our daughters. Without a clear idea of what a father should be, her life is in danger because of the choices she will make to fill the void. Isn't that just as important?

The thing I love the most about Rick Johnson's books is that he doesn't hold back or sugar coat what the world needs to hear. This book might hurt to read, but only because it makes you face the reasons for your choices and then you have to make a conscious decision to change.

As the Portland Parenting Examiner for Examiner.com, I review a lot of books about parenting. I'm always excited to receive a book from Rick Johnson, because I know it will be full of great information that I can apply to my life to make a better change in my family. For my full review, please visit [...].
on June 18, 2014
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I bought this book for my husband hoping it would impart some ideas on how to establish a relationship with our daughter, specifically how best a father can communicate with his daughter and the importance of such a relationship. My husband has been reading it and occasionally reads me excerpts from the book. Perhaps the most disturbing was the section on rape. It seems to be the author's belief that when rape happens, either the father or the daughter can/should be blamed. It is somehow the father's fault for not better protecting his daughter. In the same breath he portrays boys/young men as sex driven poon hounds and says there must be good god-fearing men out there, he just hasn't met any. Teach your daughters that when they become interested in boys it is not their place to call the boy. Instead, they should wait for boys to call them. These are just a few of the tidbits of "wisdom" this book has to offer.

As a Christian woman who was once a little girl with a father, the advice being touted in this book would have done little to help me establish a better relationship with my father and would have done absolutely nothing to empower me as a Christian woman. Too many generalizations and stereotypes to really be considered an effective or helpful book.
on January 5, 2012
Format: Paperback
Subtitled "How a Father's love Protects and Empowers His Daughter" this book is just that. Many father's get lost in the provisional respects of their role in the family life forgetting or never fully understanding that love is a key element.

As the Senior High Girls Youth teacher and the Sunday School teacher for younger girls I see first hand what a lack of a father's genuine love does to a girl. Few father's truly understand the magnitude of influence they have in what type of young adult emerges in their daughters. They wonder why their daughters make bad choices in careers, life style, dates, etc - it boils down to what they were taught by their fathers. A girl's worth is often tied up in what she thinks her father thinks about her.

I am impressed with Rick Johnson's book in that it not only explores the importance of a father's love and influence, or what a father should do for his daughter, but it goes a step father to empower men to be the very best fathers. In this book Johnson attempts to give men direction, encouragement and advice on how to accomplish the task of loving their daughters in a way that protects and empowers them.

Our children are faced with a myriad of decisions. They desperately need a solid foundation of love to succeed in this unstable world. After reading this as a review copy I found myself wanting to buy the book "That's My Son" and "Better Dads, Stronger Sons". As a mother I want to know firsthand how I can help my sons become godly men - and if Johnson handles the subject of sons as well as he did daughters I do not expect to be disappointed.

Although I am a mother, I would highly recommend this book for fathers (and mothers to read with your husbands). If you are a single mom - read this book to better understand what it is your daughter may be longing for - then begin to pray for godly men to step into that role.

I received this book from the publisher Revell as a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

"Available January 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group."
on January 5, 2012
Format: Paperback
THAT'S MY GIRL: HOW A FATHER'S LOVE PROTECTS AND EMPOWERS HIS DAUGHTER by Rick Johnson is a wonderful,informative parenting non-fiction. It is a guide every parent needs to read to help in understanding and guiding their daughter's life. It is a rough time for a daughter,and this author understands the importance of a Godly father in a young girl's life."That's My Girl" is a must read for not only father's but for anyone who is interested in empowering,and protecting their daughter's. I know from experience the relationship between a father/daughters and the importance of a loving,caring father during a girl's young life. I would highly recommend this book to any parent. It gives tools needed for the growth of strength,and is told with honesty,strength,compassion,from the author's own experience with his daughter with ideas,scripture,and from the heart. "That's My Girl" should be on every Dad's nightstand for reference,and reassurance during the difficult times of today's young daughter's living and the future of our daughter's. I would dare to say if we all had a better understanding of our daughter's maybe,just maybe our daughter's would not find themselves in difficult relationships in today's world. Received for an honest review from the publisher. Details can be found at Revell,a division of Baker Publishing Group and mybookaddictionreviews.wordpress.com.
Rating: 4.5
on July 30, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
It's yet another religious book. I am frustrated because I can't find any book in this genre without underlying preaching in it. Kinda nice for a ten minute snooze, but everything about the reviews and the title and the rest of it seemed non-secular. I was disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2012
Format: Paperback
"That's My Girl" By Rick Johnson is yet another brillant book written by Johnson. I have read many books by Johnson and am never dissappointed. In fact, when I hear he is working on or releasing another book soon I'm like a kid waiting for Santa to arrive!!

While this book appears to be written for men/fathers, I cant help but think this book could benefit both genders. Even if you do not have a daughter (yet) it can really help you to understand the cause and effect of a woman or child as it appeals to their relationship with their father. I truly believe this book can reach and teach much more lives than the intended audience. With that being said, fathers this is an absolute MUST READ. Its easy to follow, not too long and whether you want to or not, you will end with the book with a plethora of knowledge. Not only will it assit you in being the best father you can be to your daughter, but I bet there will be a few "a ha" moments in regards to your wife, mom, sister etc..

Johnson wrote this book (as he does all his books) with passion & honesty. He is candid with his own experiences in raising a daughter, the good, the bad and the ugly. He also gives accounts from women in the same respect. Some stories will warm your heart and put a huge smile on your face. Some might make you weep. But all of them will light a fire in your heart to make your mark in that little girls heart. Buy the book, tag it , mark it up, highlite it, loan it to a friend but most importantly ...apply it to your life moving forward.

It's a great gift to all the little girls in the world that this book was written and for that, I would like to personally thank the author on behalf of all little girls everywhere for writing this!
Format: Paperback
When I saw Rick Johnson's new book called "That's My Girl, How a Fathers Love Protects and Empowers His Daughter" I was quick to request a copy for review. Rick has an inner sense about parenting from a Christian perspective and his passion for God flows into his parenting advice. I've listened to his live lectures- twice- and they were about raising sons. Having two daughters I questioned why I was listening to a talk about boys, yet the content was so good I went back a second time. Rick's daughter was assisting her dad and he often made references to her rebellion and his parenting challenges in raising a daughter. When his book about raising daughters arrived I was rushing to get a copy and read it. I was not disappointed and found myself applying many of his suggestions easily and effectively.

Knowing my husband would not read the book (he reads one book a year, if that) I reached into the pages and looked for parenting advice. The first chapter was a disappointment- too much emphasis on anatomy and the female body, and might cause a few people to leave the book unread. I encourage you to go past the first chapter and find a wealth of ideas for raising girls. Many of Rick's suggestions are from his own parenting failures and successes. He presents examples from grown women as they reflect on their memories of their own daddies. It was enlightening to see examples of the lasting impact fathers have on their daughters, absent or not. Some of his suggestions include:

A father determines how a girl feels about herself.
Treat your wife like you want your future son-in-law to treat your daughter.
Be intentional about creating memories your daughter can cherish.

While reading the book, I shared many examples and ideas with my husband. He loved the opportunity to reconnect with our 13-year-old teenager and sees his responsibility as the male role model in her life. Prior to reading the book he was her dad, not her hero. We both know she'll be dating soon, working soon, driving a car soon and facing a mountain of decisions as she enters high school in just a few more months. The book That's My Girl, How a Fathers Lover Protects and Empowers His Daughter offers many suggestions for capturing memories with your daughter, to last you both a lifetime.

Get the book for your husband, brother, friend, or yourself. You will not be disappointed and you'll have a new toolbox of effective parenting ideas for your precious daughter.

One final note...if you are the mother of boys, you should still read this book. It will bring awareness of the girls your son will be dating and how they think and interact with the number one guy in their life: Dad.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received That's My Girl, How a Fathers Love Protects and Empowers His Daughter free from Revell Books as part of their blogger review program.
on January 4, 2012
Format: Paperback
This is a book written for Dads, to help them navigate the often confusing journey of parenting a little girl. Rick is a father of a daughter himself and shares a great deal of insight into his own parenting style with his daughter and many stories about this lives together.

I enjoyed how Rick began the book by giving a more scientific explanation about the make-up of girls. While I have read some of this before, as you are raising them you can forget what is making them tick. I enjoyed an overview of the chemical effects going on in our little girl's minds and bodies.

Next, Rick goes into the impact and importance of Mom and Dad and how they need to relate to each other and to their daughter. I found everything he said to be true in my own upbringing, making me realize how important those things are with my own daughter.

I really liked the chapter where Rick discussed Bonding with your Daughter. He talked about healthy affection and how if Dad is providing the affection our daughters need, they are less likely to look for that affection from other boys. My favorite point, however, was when he was talking about making memories with your daughter. Do the same thing every year for her birthday, or call every Valentines day, etc; simply something that is always the same for them to look forward to or count on. These little things will become very important to our daughter as she grows up and the rest of the world seems against her and unpredictable.

Rick is very transparent in this book about his relationship with his daughter, which was anything but perfect. Through his personals stories you can see the reality that each daughter is different. While all these points and ideas are good, it is important for us to know our own daughter so that we can be the parent she needs us to be.

I am clearly not a dad, and yet enjoyed this book thoroughly. I thought many of Rick's points were just as valuable to a mom as a dad. However, I am asking my husband to read this book in the coming weeks so we can talk about it. And I hope that he will read it again in a few years to remind himself of what he learned.

This is a great book for dads. A great tool to have in the toolbox as your daughter gets older and more "complicated." I think every parent would benefit from reading this book, and I look forward to reading Rick's other book That's My Son, in the future (as we have a few of them too!).

NOTE: I received this book at no cost, in exchange for an honest review by Revell Publishing.
on January 7, 2012
Format: Paperback
What better way for dads of girls start out the year than reading Rick Johnson's book, "That's My Girl." This is a honest, man to man book that I would recommend for any man who is the father of a daughter. This would also be a great resource to use in a men's small group as each chapter ends with questions for further thought and discussion.

Rick shares his own experiences with raising a daughter and his perspective on different issues along with research and stories from other individuals. Rick encourages dads to bond with their daughters even though this may not be as natural for them as bonding with their sons, however this is so important. Dads are role models for their daugthers as to the males that they will date and marry in the future. Rick addresses different aspects of role modeling including treating women, especially their wives/daughter's mother with respect, care and love as this is how the daughter is going to expect to be treated by her future husband. Daughters are only little for just so long and now is the time for dads to build on their relationship and be good example for their daughters. Not only is this an excellent read for dads, but it is for moms as well as it will open moms' eyes as to the role that the father plays and she can be an encourager to him to fulfill this role in the best way possible.

This book is straight-forward, yet it has a gentle approach as well so that it is not intimidating or "preachy." I would highly recommend Rick's other books as well that focus on sons and also being a better spouse.