Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick

Format: Audio CD|Change

on January 8, 2007
We had this playing in all the rooms of our house during our Halloween party last year, all the tracks going in different order in a continuous loop. This set quite a mood! Everyone commented on the music and how great it was. Just the right amount and use of sound effects. So many Halloween type c.d.'s go too far and become just corny and that wrecks the mood you're trying to create in the first place. After the party, when everyone left but for my cousins and us, we just had this playing in the library and had a ball scaring the wits out of each other with our own "personal" ghost stories. We're not into the whole goth culture thing, but we can appreciate what M.S. is doing. To listen to this at only Halloween is a mistake, you're short changing yourself. Put this on curled up with you're favorite suspense, thriller or horror book for an added dimension to the experience.
on November 5, 2005
The name Midnight Syndicate has become synonymous with incredible creepy, haunting, atmospheric soundscapes, and for good reason. Edward Douglas and Gavin Goszka have a highly noteworthy ability to combine ominously elegant sound effects and eerie, ethereal orchestrations into a memorable melange that is most certainly a treat for the ears and the imagination.

The Thirteenth Hour takes the listener on a tour of a haunted Victorian mansion, the home of the doctor who founded Haverghast Asylum (which is the setting for Gates of Delirium), "a house with a sinister history." Conjuring images of those whose souls are not at rest, Edward and Gavin have scored yet another masterpiece complete with a seamless blend of gothic themes and brooding melodies sure to tickle even the most discernable listener.

Among the guest vocalists are Lily Lane, the lead singer from Lazy Lane, and Mary-Kate Douglas, Edward's two year old daughter, who is the ghostly child voice on the track "Footsteps in the Dust." Both lend a degree of unearthly melancholy that eviscerates both dread and reverence.

This is most definitely my favorite Midnight Syndicate release to date. The Thirteenth Hour is highly recommended for Halloween, or any other time of the year when one feels like dimming the lights, lighting some candles, and letting one's imagination run wild with ghoulish delight!
I originally bought this cd for Halloween last year.
It worked very well, not the usual screams and generic sounds you get with your usual Halloween cd's.
Midnight Syndicate creates horror movie soundtrack music minus the movie.

Just recently my house sold and I am in the process of moving.
While boxing things up I ran across this cd which I had not listened to since Halloween of last year.
Surprise, surprise I find myself listening to it all the time now.
Besides can anyone tell me anything more horrifying than having to pack all your things, move to a new locale with possibly deranged neighbors, then unpack all your things AGAIN??? Dreadful!!!
The 13th Hour fits in perfect with my mood as of late.

The songs are grand, sweeping, elegant and in places beautiful.
Some of the songs have minor sound fx added to them, but it never comes across as cheesy.
I wouldn't really call the songs scary but they have a definite Halloween feel to them.
The disc opens with one of my favorites,

Mansion in the Mist. Haunting and foreboding.
My other favorite tracks are;
22, Living Walls, beautiful and a tad creepy.
23, Gruesome Discovery, another gorgeous, sonic beauty.
24, Return of the Ancient Ones, creepy with a ton of atmosphere.

I'd give you a song by song breakdown but I don't like music reviews that do that.
Why?
Everyone has their own opinion of what is good or not.
I don't care for song by song breakdowns, I'll make my own decision regarding what songs are good or not.
Just tell me........was it any good or not?

In this case.........good.......VERY GOOD.
Even the songs between # 1 and # 22.
Perfect for Halloween, reading, gaming, if you find yourself moving to a new home.
Or if you're just in a "mood".
I strongly recommend this for fans of Metal, New Age, or anyone who appreciates music that is just a little "different".
The 13th Hour,
Brilliant, different and intriguing.
Highly recommended.
on August 14, 2005
Twenty-five splendid orchestrations from malefik meistros Edward Douglas and Gavin Goszka - they are our musickal guides through Haverghast Mansion, setting the mood for unearthing the terrible ghostly secrets lain hidden within the walls of this gloomy house...

Among these phantasmasonic pieces, contained herein is a cantible entitled "Hand In Hand Again", harking back to 1920 c.e. written by R. Egan and R. Whiting, as well as guest voices from Lily Lane {Madeline Haverghast}, David Jacobs Greg Ballato, and Mary Kate Douglas as Anastasia Haverghast.

Cover work is masterfully manifest by Keith Parkinson to create a most welcoming Manor amidst the full moon, with a familiar blackredlight glow exuding from within, and inside the booklet, a delightfully arcane photo of the musicians, clad in period attire.

Pounding hearts, echoing voices from the past, strings, organ, piano, sound effects, creeking doors, even the sounds of the night, graces The 13th Hour... another monsterpiece which compliments one's own Haunted House.

Again, Midnight Syndicate produces remarkable atmospheric musick suitable for one's Lair and Ritual Chambre for 'Halloween' all year 'round. A constant pleasure.
on September 29, 2015
This is an absolutely excellent compilation of atmospheric pieces which would be excellent background music for almost any situation. We will play it throughout the Halloween season but especially on Halloween night when we will have it on the front porch, playing at high volume. The tracks are not hokey, typical sound effects like clinking chains, wolf calls, or goofy screams, but quality musical compositions which really bring to mind a movie sound track. I was thinking of the creepy movies I've seen in the past and thought this soundtrack would suit any of them. All in all, this is top-drawer stuff, mostly composed in a disturbing, creepy minor key, so nothing upbeat or cheerful here. A good variety of different musical interpretations of unsettling, deliciously spooky music. This is a good one, and in my opinion, one of the best.
on November 29, 2013
Love these guys! I had gotten their 1990s compilation, Out of the Darkness, which I heard playing at a Halloween store a few years ago and loved. Just hoped that they had more good material in store, and I was well pleased with this one and the other one I got, "Gates of Delirium." If you like Midnight Syndicate, or just need some spooky background music for your event, this CD will fit the bill.
on December 23, 2013
Looking for more theatrical halloween music vs. Monster Mash? This CD, or collection, is for you. Nice change from standard CD's available. One has creaking doors, another has instrmentals. Worth the buy.
on May 21, 2012
This is my first foray into horror music. The CD is easy to listen to. I is rather mellow but has a fe up-tempo songs; I prefer mellow, so the overall mix of songs is just right. I liked "The Watcher", song 11. I also liked songs 3, 7, and "the 13th Hour", which is the last song on the disk.

Overall, this is a good disk.
on March 7, 2007
Midnight Syndicate's 13th HOUR is the perfect album to listen to while you write; its dark mood and somber atmosphere are inspiring to me when I write a horror tale. It also serves as great background music to your Halloween party or gothic evening among friends.

This was the first album I got from them and I want all the others too because I'm hooked now. They recently re-released their early works under the title OUT OF THE DARKNESS. Also, check out VAMPYRE and GATES OF DELIRIUM.

Whether you're the Goth type or a casual fan wanting some cool music to set the ambiance at a party, 13th HOUR is an awesome symphonic horror album.
on November 2, 2011
This is a fun CD to have in the background for a Halloween party, haunted house, etc. I've also recognized this music playing in certain sections of big production haunted attractions.

The CD sort of tells a story through the layout of the songs, and it flows well. Individually, the tracks are fun to listen to as well.