5.0 out of 5 stars Your map and workbook to time success
You have very few things in common with every other person on the planet. Having 24 hours in a day is something that is universal for stay at home moms to CEO's of fortune 500 companies. The challenge that you have is to utilize your time to get the most benefit whether working on a project or playing on the weekend.

This book is your skeleton key that opens...
Published on October 20, 2009 by Scott Sylvan Bell

I bought this book on the basis of all of the stellar reviews, but now that I've read it, I have to agree with my fellow 1-star reviewer that all the positive reviews must have been a set-up by the publisher. This book really blows.

Published on December 11, 2009 by CutSnake

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money - Misleading, poorly written, needs an editor, December 11, 2009
This review is from: The 168 Hour Week: Living Life Your Way 24-7 (Hardcover)

On the subject of the content, it's okay - nothing novel or particularly insightful. Other authors have covered the same ground and done it better. I think there are a lot of self-promoting, misleading chunks of "advice" throughout. My personal favourite is "the $100,000 idea". The author starts the chapter by telling you that for the first time ever, he's providing a $100,000 idea. I get to the end of the chapter, and I'm thinking, "okay, so where's the idea?" I went back through and found it: If you write a book and sell 100,000 copies, and you get $1 per copy from your publisher, you've got $100,000. Okay, that's not a $100,000 idea, that's just basic math. And as an author of three top-rated marketing books myself, I can tell you, that's no mean feat.

As for the book production, all I can say is holy cow. The book is poorly written to a degree that is rarely found in widely distributed books. Every single paragraph has sentences in ALL CAPS, sentences in bold, sentences in ALL CAPS and bold, sentences with italics, and way too many ellipses - as in... way... too... many. And used... really... poorly. A good edit would have gone a very long way to make this readable, and given that a very solid business book editor isn't that expensive, I have to surmise that either the author either isn't as successful as he claims, has too big an ego to let anyone else improve his work, or simply doesn't care about the quality product he's selling.

Finally, the book layout... It looks for all the world like this book was laid out in MS Word by someone with only a basic understanding of the software. It's rough, hard to read, and in places, looks just plain goofy. For instance, there is a two-page numbered list, where each number runs to at least a couple of lines. It has been laid out so that there is no space between the items, making it confusing and tedious for the reader.

Maybe it's because I'm an author and hold myself accountable to book buyers, but I can't believe that someone who is prepared to put their photo on the front of a book is not prepared to put in the effort to get the content and presentation just right. The funniest thing is that he takes issue with a number of other authors who have got those things right.

I have read the whole thing, but wish I hadn't. I'm on an extended holiday in a non-English speaking country and it's one of the few English language books we have with us, so I persevered. I'm ruing the day I chose this book over almost anything else in my to-read pile!

5.0 out of 5 stars Your map and workbook to time success, October 20, 2009
This review is from: The 168 Hour Week: Living Life Your Way 24-7 (Hardcover)

This book is your skeleton key that opens the door for gaining time for your advantage not just for money but your most precious resource, time.

In this book Kevin gives you the formula to use your time and set your goals in a way that you will actually get done what needs to be done instead of saying "I wish I had more time". Because there is a ton of bad information people have been led to believe that what has worked for others by trial and error or handed down like a legend will work for everybody. What is great about this book is that the information is easily understood and does not require a bunch of vague ideas. The examples that are used and explained can be part of your life just as much as your neighbors.

There is a wide range of information to utilize from how to set up your life in case of disability, getting off the paycheck to paycheck cycle, motivating yourself, understanding how other people affect your plans and goals, implementation takes time and repetition, how limited time really is for you, discovering what motivates others and how that helps you, how to use a journal or notebook for your time advantage and so much more.

The points that I found most profound were:
"Nothing is more important than environment and context to achievement (page 20)" Meaning that where I am and who I am around help determine success.

The best way to set a schedule is to have all of the steps for that process or goal on every page not just on the first page of the notes so that it leaves a map to get to the next point so true success can be measured.

My concept of time has been incorrect but that notion can change and my productivity will increase.

The true issues and costs involved of living paycheck to paycheck in the short term and long term. Disability can happen to any of us and as I get older the chances of me becoming disabled increase.

Other peoples time management ideas, beliefs, attitudes and feelings impact my day just as much as I can. Theses issues can be solved by a little communication with the other person or group.

The real way to dedicate a journal to get the most out of my goals and achievements to impact my future for the long run.

To get the most out of your time from reading this book treat it as a workbook take the actions immediately and write all over the pages. For you to get the most out of your life you must get your time control in order, learn the proper way to set up goals in your schedule and how to take advantage of now.

Take advantage of this well researched and written book. Get the edge over your competitors at work, hove more time for fun and become more productive. If you have never read one of Kevin's books the information and abilities that you will learn will far exceed the investment you will make today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovation for your mind! The best book for achievement EVER!, October 20, 2009
This review is from: The 168 Hour Week: Living Life Your Way 24-7 (Hardcover)
From the first page I was hooked!

Unlike other authors who tend to stagnate over time Kevin Hogan continues to set the pace in the field of applied psychology. Never before have I seen an information source like it.

In the introduction Hogan states his agenda:

"I have decided to be the first person to tell you the truth about time planning, time management, goal setting, procrastination and achievement", then he delivers.

What makes 168 Hour Week deliver is that Kevin Hogan takes scientific research and presents it to everyday people like you and me. His writing style is intellectual, yet easily understood. Unique information you simply will not find from any other source.

Keypoints are presented in boxes for handy reminders in amongst information filled with rich content.

I saw myself in the book and felt my spirit unfurl as I read further and realised the potiential I had contained within. Upon realising overwhelming power of the information presented I decided to write this review to encourage others to access quality information and achieve what they truly want in life.The 168 Hour Week: Living Life Your Way 24-7

In three words: Accurate, Practical, REAL.

Blessings,
Keri Eagan

5.0 out of 5 stars When Two Worlds Collide, Sometimes Good Things Happen, October 20, 2009
This review is from: The 168 Hour Week: Living Life Your Way 24-7 (Hardcover)
I got an advance copy of this book and was mesmerized. Everything in my life stopped. I pulled out the highlighter and read raptly.

I also told Kevin that no one had ever written anything like this before. I believe he considered my statement humorously hyperbolic enough to reprint it in his newsletter "Coffee" while gently shaking his head.

But what he probably doesn't know is I was dead serious.

Here's why:

Often, too often, way too often, there are time-management books written by theoretical experts with logically tidy systems that actually do work, but only for a certain personality type, and by the way these systems are designed for people (mainly) who help OTHER people make their dreams come true, by working efficiently for those people.

Then there are the time management books written by the bootstrappin' entrepreneur who has cobbled a street smart, tough as nails, buckin' bronco method of getting things done and attaining goals that might work for half a dozen other people on the planet. Of course, because those people are generally rich and famous already, other people bow in quivering reverence to them and never critically examine how what they say could possibly work for most other people.

The shame of this situation is that there has never been a "best of both worlds" book that combines science, logic, system and research with real-world entrepreneurial street smarts AND the wisdom that one size NEVER fits all when it comes to methods, but that it IS possible to deliver guidance backed by research and life wisdom... and provide new insights that will work for a wide variety of people.

Until now there has never been such a book, that is.

Kevin delivered. This is that book.

I will be asking the people I mentor to read this book.

I have personally put some of its principles, insights, and very specific prescriptions to work in my own life. I have achieved new levels of productivity, and most people who knew me beforehand would say I was already a pretty productive guy.

I will also say that I don't agree with 100% of what's in this book -- AND THAT HAS NEVER MATTERED LESS THAN IT DOES WITH THIS BOOK. Even if you only get one life-changing idea that can free you from the chains of a constraining way of looking at things, that alone makes it worth getting and reading.

Personally, I got more than a dozen such ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Business Mentor hits a Raw Nerve, October 22, 2009
Length:: 2:17 Mins

Kevin Hogan's 168 Hour Week does a great job of debunking the current clutter of time management programs. Specifically, Kevin addresses the bleed between personal time and work time. Can you keep the two separate? What if you didn't want to?

If you have enjoyed the idea behind time management programs - who wouldn't like more control, more independence - you will find the 168 Hour Week to be the bridge between time management and reality. A program for our time . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!... Kevin Reveals His Productivity Secrets, October 21, 2009
This review is from: The 168 Hour Week: Living Life Your Way 24-7 (Hardcover)
I have worked with Kevin on projects before and have been AMAZED at what the man can do. Not only what he can do, but also what he was able to get me to do with this system! Before this book came out, I used to ask Kevin when he was going to teach this information to people as I thought it was his strongest suit.

As rich and incredible as his research is, I always thought his ability and talent to continue to produce advanced knowledge and create products year in and year out would benefit people more in the long run than the products and knowledge itself.

Well Kevin has finally done it. And he's done it well with "The 168 Hour Week." He has not left anything out!
One of the skills of his production is not to skimp but to give you a complete detailing of his process.

Most people cannot model themselves. They can give you an idea but usually leave out details that the person themselves miss that are incredibly important. Kevin is one of those rare individuals who knows what he is doing because he has integrated his own learning. And the man KNOWS what he teaches.

He is very much aware of the why and what of how he does what he does. If you were ever to ask him directly what makes him so productive, he can answer you exhaustively without missing a beat. He also has direct knowledge that he transfers well to others; he has done so many times. I have seen this with others and have experienced it directly within myself.

I attribute much of my success to Kevin. Not because of the knowledge he has given to me... because I think I was pretty knowledgeable when I met Kevin... I attribute my success to him because he was able to impart to me his productivity so I could do something WITH the knowledge... it didn't just end up sitting unused in me the rest of my life.

Here's some examples of my productivity thanks to Kevin: over 25 products in the last 4-5 years; 3 books in the making; 3 new DVDs in the works; contributions to three Amazon bestsellers. I just returned from teaching 800 people in 2 seminars in Moscow and Novosibirsk, Siberia, Russia. I have also started production on 2 movies, coaching golf pros, and the opportunities keep rolling in.

Why do I tell you all this? I can trace it all back to Kevin talking to me on the phone 5 years ago and convincing me to do the things he teaches in this very book. I began to apply what he told me, and I am so happy I did. I have never looked back.

You have this same opportunity right now!

PS While this is definitely not a metaphysical book, it has immense value for every metaphysical person. One of the things I discovered in the metaphysical community was the lack of what Kevin teaches. So much of what I have taught people in the metaphysical community are Kevin's basic productivity "Secrets."

While many try and waste time at it, they cannot manifest productivity. This is something I believe God gave us a body and mind for! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an easy to follow time management system that works!, October 20, 2009
Steven Chambers (Las Vegas, NV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 168 Hour Week: Living Life Your Way 24-7 (Hardcover)
First off let me say that this is a book on more than time management, it is a book on living life on your terms, not anyone else's. This is a book on managing, exploiting and optimizing the one resource we all share an equal amount of...time. If at the end of your life you don't want to look back on it and wish you had done more you owe it to yourself to read and apply this book. (Caveat - You need to use the formula the author outlines to get results.)

Whenever I read a book on time management or personal productivity I ask myself, "Will this work in the real world?" I mean, what do you want from a time management system? I want a system that does the following:

- Is easy to use. Too many time management systems are simply too involved.

- Helps me overcome procrastination by showing me how my to-do's and goals fit into my overall life plan.

- Takes other people into account. Let's face it, most of us have to work with others and need to adapt to ever changing circumstances.

- Takes what I want and how I want to live into account. Again, most time management systems are designed for the office worker of yesteryear, not today's time compressed and flexible schedules.

Well I have good news. The system outlined in Kevin Hogan's new book, The 168 Hour Week covers all those bases and more. Having tried various time management and productivity systems over the past three decades - Alan Lakin, Tony Robbins, Franklin Covey, Daytimer, Dayrunner and more, I can attest that the simple time management formula Kevin Hogan outlines is this book is the most flexible and effective system I found to date.

I have read a lot of books on organization, time management and increased productivity and, while most of them worked for awhile, the results were unsustainable over the long term for the simple reason that they didn't work in the real world. Let's face it, I work hard but I'm lazy too. I don't want my time management system to take up more time than it saves or to require me to endlessly list my important to-do's and the reasons I want them done. I want something similar to a recipe in a cookbook...an easy to follow and implement formula that works. The system in this book delivers.

If you want to do more with your life this is the book for you. If you feel overwhelmed, stressed out and out of control this is the book for you. If you simply want to take control of your time and your life then you owe it to yourself to get this book.

I have often asked myself, "Why do some people get so much accomplished while others simply can't get anything done?" Well, the answer is in this book. If you follow the system as outlined in the book and integrate it into your life you'll amaze yourself with what you'll accomplish.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book EXPLODES tired old time management advice..., October 20, 2009
This review is from: The 168 Hour Week: Living Life Your Way 24-7 (Hardcover)
Kevin Hogan has finally written the time management book for the 21st Century.

Previous efforts at helping people to achieve more are based on techniques that give short term positive results but ultimately fail when "white knuckle" willpower stops working.

There are many tips that Kevin gives about how to approach goals (Hint: you are going to learn how to finally finish things even if your internal voices are fighting you every step of the way)...

but the key insight is going to be an understanding of why traditional methods DO NOT work anymore in our over-stressed, over-communicated world. You will see the signs that you are sabotaging yourself and you will finally be able to make the proper corrections to gain productivity AND GET THINGS FINISHED.

You don't need another planner. You don't need a new to-do list methodology.

You just need to read this book. (and have an open mind)

(Do you know what your time needs to be valued at in order to realize your desired lifestyle? If not then this alone is worth the price of the book)

If your time is worth $50 an hour, then you need to invest in yourself and read this book cover to cover. Take one action at a time, and you will soon have your cost of the book repaid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time Management for the busy entrepreneur, October 20, 2009
J.E (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 168 Hour Week: Living Life Your Way 24-7 (Hardcover)
You are out there working hard to give your family the best life possible. Achieving everything worth wild in life takes a massive amount of effort. That's just reality.

When going after what you want it can get very over-whelming. You want to know your kids. You want your relationships outside of business to remain strong.

At last Kevin Hogan is presenting you with a proven system to achieve everything you want in life without losing what's important.

He explains what's wrong with current time management systems which don't take into consideration the fact that unexpected circumstances happen in life, all the time.

I first learned about Kevin Hogan through his book the Psychology of Persuasion. This book alone has had a major impact in my life.

What's great about this book, is that everything he presents is tested and proven. Most people don't know what actions are truly causing success.

By constantly testing everything the book gives you the short cut to success. No more wasting time in needless action.

I highly recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrote it on his home computer and never showed it to an editor, January 17, 2010
The Happy Artist (Northern New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 168 Hour Week: Living Life Your Way 24-7 (Hardcover)
I had a really hard time deciding how to rate this book. If I could have rated just the content, I would give this book 5 stars. But the fact that it is written so poorly; an unreadable mish mosh of amateurish typesetting, poor grammar, muddled syntax and total disregard for the rules of punctuation I had to give it just the one star. A book is more than just it's content; just as important is it's style (as in The Elements of Style (Original Edition) by Strunk and White). I couldn't get past the poor writing style to give Kevin the credit for his admirable content.

The 168 Hour Week: Living Life Your Way 24-7
The 168 Hour Week: Living Life Your Way 24-7 by Kevin Hogan (Hardcover - October 23, 2009)
$24.95 $21.20