5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness is easier than we think
I'm a skeptic person, so I admit that I was afraid this would be the standard "happiness" pitch. But what a relief, this book turned out to be truly exceptional. It's straightforward and easy to read.

Published on April 28, 2011 by EdmarTech

3.0 out of 5 stars too short but inspiring
Published on June 7, 2009 by grumpydan

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness is easier than we think, April 28, 2011
This review is from: The 18 Rules of Happiness: How to Be Happy (Kindle Edition)

It's just 18 "simple rules". Some of the suggestions here were totally new to me, the others, I just neglect in my everyday life. No wonder I was not happy but I'm starting to follow the "rules" and feel the effect to me.

I especially like the appendices. I even printed out some of it and hang it to where I can see it often. I particularly like the releasing method, they're simple and effective.

For 99 cents, you can't go wrong. As a bonus, it even offers free audio version (mp3). Some of us hate reading so it is a must. If you spend your time on the road, you should also download it and regularly listen to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book made - and makes! - me happy!, April 28, 2011
The 18 Rules for Happiness does more than give you tips on happiness. This is an in-depth, but simple approach to getting True Joy in your life, both short-term and long-term. I was surprised when my sister lent this to me. She told me the price on Kindle and I thought there is no way it has even that much value, but I've been going through a rough patch and she said PLEASE just read a few pages. Well, I did that - and then I read all (it's more than 100 pages! And still I'd take more) - and I wanted to write this review to let you know the JOY I found as well as happpiness using the "18 Rules."

From the start, Karl explains that we can CREATE our happiness, not just be happy in response to others. The first thing I did was stop my whining - and that's what I was doing, feeling sorry for myself - and then I began following the steps, counting my blessings (it is SO easy to look only at our problems - but we have TREMENDOUS opportunities and things to be happy for right now and yes, this applies to virtually everybody reading this review. And once I found my happiness, my joy, I have learned how to multiple it thanks to Karl - I show others happiness! I give it away and it just comes back onto me much more. It's the whole selfish-thing I was going through that KEPT ME - and it was ME, myself who kept me from experiencing happiness. My sister knew what she was doing. And I don't care WHAT your situation is right now, you can change it for the better. Or if not your situation, you can change your RESPONSE to it. And be happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Happier Today, February 15, 2012
Usually books with a beautiful cover are worth buying and this is no exception. The author delivers what he promises and it is a short read. The author's goal is to help you find "genuine happiness."

As a fairly happy person myself I recognized many of the tips and tricks that I've personally used to make myself happy. Like the first rule in this book was helpful to me when I began to get over an awful breakup. But just deciding to stop feeling sorry for myself did not instantly get me out of an emotional quagmire. I had to consciously create my happiness every day until it because natural. Now I live mostly with a warm glow radiating from my chest that feels like love and happiness combined.

I also though the author's advice to release negative emotions was very important. At the end of the book he gives an exact method to do this. I also liked his lovely ideas like driving to the sea or experimenting with cooking. Taking action really does make you happier.

For introverts however the advice on making millions of casual friends might not make them as happy as spending time alone or having just a few close friends.

Some of the advice in this book draws on the wisdom of the power of positive thinking. As the author says: "Nobody likes negativity." I can't count the times I've told people this in my life.

Well I loved this book and I thought it ended at about 69% but there is so much more. At the end of the book there is also an invitation to download an MP3 version of the book. There is also a section of inspirational quotes, lists of good mood music and advice on how to eat feel good foods.

Really this book is about taking care of yourself. I will tell you one thing this works. Last year I had an awful Valentine's Day and I determined that this year things would be different. Instead of waiting for someone else to buy me chocolates I bought them for myself and had a nice surprise waiting for me at my P. O. Box. I also planned out what I was going to do which included watching a good movie and reading a good Kindle book. Instead of expecting other people to do things for me I did things for other people like baking them brownies and buying friends things off their wish lists.

So my advice to you is to do the same each day of your life. Reach out and make someone else happy. After all you are in charge of your happiness so don't wait another day to read this great book.

~The Rebecca Review

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest book that will make you honestly happy, May 4, 2011
In the hectic world in which we live we are often stuck in the proverbial "rat race". We have jobs and contracts to accomplish, agendas to tick off, calendars to follow and we tend to forget what it is all about, what we are seeking. And this is where the beautiful book "The 18 Rules of Happiness" comes into play. It helped me to remember what it is all about, this little known thing called Happiness! While many might say that they know the goal is happiness, few seem to remember that happiness exists only in the moment, it is not a goal to seek, but a state of being! One needs to BE happy, not seek happiness.

The question automatically arises: how to achieve happiness? Karl Moore has done a great job putting together a handy list of the 18 key steps to being and feeling happy. He explores them in great length and full of vital energy. The images simply leap off the page and grab you with powerful imagination. This is not a dry book written for dusty book displays, this is a living, breathing vital exposition of the beauty and power of happiness. Just reading it one already begins to feel happier that there such wonderful people in the world, like the author if this book, who are working to create happiness, and move us all forward in our appreciation of life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Tips and a book to dip into on those days when you are down, February 12, 2012
Liberation (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The subject of happiness is one that attracts a lot of interest and most people want to find more of it. This book was useful to me in that I was reminded to step back from the hectic nature of life and try and consider what true happiness really means. The argument is that happiness is a journey and not a destination which seems to make complete sense to me.

I reached the age of fifty and discovered that happiness is about doing and also about serving other people. This made a real difference for me and this book seemed to capture this really well. All 18 tips are explained and explored at some length. I would have liked a little more on the illusion of money but All in all this book was a very enjoyable read and it made me feel better and happier. I found it a useful book to also re-read and dip into when required (usually at low moments and bad days!)

3.0 out of 5 stars too short but inspiring, June 7, 2009
grumpydan (Andover, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The 18 simple secrets to happiness are now revealed, and quite obvious once you read this book and realize it. As with his other book, "The Secret Art of Self Development", Karl Moore, spreads out a little bit of information on many pages using wide margins and blank lines. Again, this all could fit in a pamphlet. Not that I am not going to use his rules, I will be because I want to be happy also!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect wisdom, January 24, 2012
What a bargain for ninety-nine cents. I have never been happier with a kindle purchase. During my life I have explored many different religions and traditions with a single purpose in mind - I wanted to find happiness. Every place I stopped the same truths revealed themselves - the same truths in this book - the same truths we all know but sometimes fail to connect with. Here is a book that is philosophical, spiritual and most importantly, practical. I recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality body of work, February 18, 2014
The 18 Rules of Happiness just makes you feel good while reading. From early on, I felt stirred mentally and I knew I was about to read something really powerful. It is packed with lots of very compelling stuff. Most of it should be intuitive, but we often lose touch with our mind-selves with all the craziness of life, family, work, etc.

The author, Karl Moore, brings words of encouragement, of self-empowerment, and reflective questions. You can tell that he writes from a place of expertise and has taken the time to put together a quality body of work. I discovered this gem after reading a book by Dr. Andrew M. Goodman, called No Work, No Problem! Stop working, Start living! It also led me to a place of improved quality of life where I was able to reevaluate my work life and make it work for me in the long-term on my own terms. Both of these works have done so much for me, and I would encourage anyone looking for answers to read Karl Moore's 18 Rules of Happiness and Dr. Andrew M. Goodman's No Work No Problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, many good points, but ,..., September 20, 2014
P. Itano "customer "A"" (Santa Ana, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I just got this book and went thru his first rule, and based on that I am, so far, giving the book 1 star. Why?

Because his first rule is: Stop feeling sorry for yourself and you will be happy.

I immediately had an adverse reaction, not that I'm a fan for feeling sorry for myself, but for how he wrote about it, and how he says if you're not feeling sorry for yourself you will be happy. Not true. Want proof?

Just imagine you've just seen or heard about a child getting abused, or a friend getting ill. Are you happy? No? Why not? You're not feeling sorry for yourself, are you? No, you're not. So, this means that you may not be feeling sorry for yourself and still not feel happy.

He also, in my opinion, fell short on providing a constructive option to feeling sorry for oneself. He could have, for example, stated that feeling sorry for oneself is based on the belief that one doesn't have the wherewithal to overcome some adversity, which is fundamentally not true, and then given examples to show how feeling sorry for oneself is a misguided, erroneous view of self.

So, can you see why I'm only giving it 1 star so far? Maybe if I can get past this initial reaction to the book I'll read more and repost how I feel then.

Edit:

I've now read thru the whole book, and gone back and perused some sections of it. I now give it 3 stars, because, to me, it does have good ideas, generally. And I believe that if a person were to read thru them and apply them generally they might experience more happiness.

But I still think he makes points that are misleading or dubious. For example, in Rule 5 "Emotiona are just things that happen, and which you can and should control."

What? Emotions "jut happen"? And if they "just happen" how can a person actually "control" them?

Emotions (feelings) don't "just happen". And it's the fact that they DON'T "just happen" that really is the key to understanding and gaining control over them.

For example, a person doesn't "just" get angry or upset. They get these feelings because of what they BELIEVE about something. But the truth is, what you BELIEVE about some incident or situation very likely does not include everything about it. So, your FEELINGS and BELIEFS about it may very likely be misleading you. And when you know this, you will be less likely to `indulge' in unwanted feelings.

For example, have you ever been cut off on the freeway by some "maniac" driver, and gotten pissed? Well, what if you later found out that the person was on her way to a hospital because there was a medical emergency? This happened to a friend of mine. His young son had an accident and severed a major artery in his leg and was bleeding profusely, even tho' my friend put a tourniquet on it.

So, my friend blasted down the freeway. The highway patrol even made pursuit. But when he pulled into the hospital and lifted his bloody son out of the car, the officer took a look, paused and just left.

So now, if you somehow knew this, at the time someone drives "crazy" on the fwy, would you be as angry? Probably not, right?

Point is, we feel whatever we feel for a REASON. They don't "just happen." BUT, our reason may be skewed, so, if you know that (and a book on happiness, it seems to me, should attempt to teach this) you are less likely to cling tightly to unwanted feelings. With this awareness you have a better chance of resolving unwanted feelings.

But like I said, he makes other good points, and for the PRICE you really can't go wrong, if you're wanting to find some good and pretty easy ways to increase your happiness. So 4 stars.

And keep this in mind: However you THINK (and hence believe and how you perceive yourself, others and the world) is the PRIMARY cause of however you feel. Think about it. You will see this is true.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Book, March 13, 2012
This book is short but has some good topics to really reflect on. I also like how he offers a free mp3 download of the book at the end.