Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The 2nd International Cookbook for Kids
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 27, 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There is nothing that I like better than sharing my love of cooking with my children and grandchildren, just as my Grandma did with me so long ago. I firmly believe that the two most important things you can teach your children are how to read and how to feed themselves, so I love to have "kids in the kitchen" - and they are far more capable than you think they might be.

Cooking together is not only a great way to have fun and learn life skills, it is also an easy way to sneak in a few lessons in math, reading, geography - even history and science. (Every child I know has loved to watch Alton Brown's mad kitchen science show, Good Eats.) Matthew Locricchio's International Cookbooks for Kids are a fantastic resource to help with that.

My granddaughter and I often cooked from The International Cookbook for Kids back when we were homeschooling and I've been recommending that book to parents & grandparents for years, so I was delighted to see Locricchio's latest, The 2nd International Cookbook for Kids. These are not by any stretch of the imagination what you might think of as a "kid's cookbook."

There are no mixes and no cute little assembly tricks, no Candlestick or Bunny Rabbit Salad, no sandwiches that look like sailboats and nothing has been dumbed down. You'll find no American cheese or even much hamburger. All of the recipes that Matthew presents are REAL food - the kind that you go down to the produce department or out to the garden to buy. Whole food, full of vitamins and nutrients, attractively presented and most of all - INTERESTING. (Yes, they will love curry!)

One of the things that I liked best about Matthew's first book, The International Cookbook for Kids , is that it included recipes for things like how to make your own stock. Loccrichio has repeated that trend in The 2nd International Cookbook for Kids. You'll find recipes not only for making your own soup stock, but also baking chapatis (a stunningly good and very easy Indian bread), grinding your own Thai red curry paste and garam masala from India, even producing your own paneer, an easy-to-make fresh cheese similar to farmer's cheese that is commonly used in Indian cooking. Along the way he also includes directions for cooking perfect rice, as well as clear illustrations of various knife skills and techniques like how to clean a leek. Many of the recipes are suitable for vegetarians and, unlike most cookbooks intended for children, there are few sweets.

Written at about a fourth grade reading level, the print is large and easy to read, the directions detailed, laid out in a way that exactly follows the logical assembly of the dish and very clear. There is a large full color picture of every recipe. Like his first, The 2nd International Cookbook for Kids is a book that will be very easy to cook from. Grandma even learned a new trick or two herself.

Grandma's $0.02 - Cooking is one of the most important skills you will pass along. The 2nd International Cookbook for Kids is a fantastic place to start the adventure. Highly recommended for young people of every age beginning at about age 8 or 9/Grade 4.
on December 14, 2008
Do you want children to eat well, help out in the kitchen, learn culinary skills that will last them a life-time? Then you want to avail yourself of "The 2nd International Cookbook For Kids", a collection of thoroughly 'kid-friendly' recipes by professional chef Matthew Locricchio and enhanced with the colorful photography of Jack McConnell. A spiral bound and sturdily reinforced cook book compendium, "The 2nd International Cookbook For Kids" will lay out flat upon a kitchen table or counter for ease of use by young chefs. The sixty classic recipes from Greece, Brazil, Thailand, and India showcase elegant, palate-pleasing and appetite satisfying recipes ranging from Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup; Green Papaya Salad; and Indian Bread; to Garden Vegetable Stew with Coconut; Grilled Chicken with Peanut Sauce; and Sweet Rice Pudding. Of special note is the section devoted to safety in the kitchen, the section providing cooking terms and definitions, and the occasional 'Chef's Tips'. "The 2nd International Cookbook For Kids" is highly recommended as an ideal addition to family and community library cookbook collections for children and their parents.
on February 21, 2013
Not as many countries as I thought it would have in it.
There are only 3 or 4 countries included in the book.
Some of the recipes look like things my kids would like, but I was hoping for a lot more different kinds of food.
VINE VOICEon February 27, 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Matthew Locricchio has done it again, with his 2nd international cookbook for kids. His first book used the "big four" (China, France, Italy, and Mexico.) This new book features the food of Greece, India, Thailand, and Brazil. He states that these countries are the next "big four" of world cooking and remain his favorites in his own kitchen. Flags of the country near the recipe title, identify the country of origin.

Same bright format. The ingredients are sent off in a colored box. Then, On Your mark...Get set...Cook! Chef's tips are given.

He always encourages fresh, locally grown products, and essential ingredients for the kitchen are listed at the end of the book along with cooking terms, equipment and utensils. There is also an index.

Locricchio has a team who helped him put this book together. Photos are bright and the food makes the reader want to dash into the kitchen and start cooking. Bright and beautiful, teens, as well as adults will enjoy this book. Another winner! A++++++
on February 16, 2014
I decided to write this review after my son and I made the Thai Hot & Sour soup recipe from this excellent book last night. I love Thai food and have eaten it in many restaurants. I am not exaggerating when I say that the soup we produced with this recipe was restaurant quality. Extremely authentic flavors and spice level (although the author provides options to fine-tune the heat as desired. Even offers a lemongrass substitute should you live somewhere that doesn't have markets that carry it. We've made a few other recipes from this book and will now be making more!
on May 5, 2015
I purchased this book for my teen daughter who loves to cook and experience different flavors and combinations. We also have the first book so she has prepared several recipes from both books. This book is easy to follow and the ingredients are not very hard to find - despite of the international recipes. Definitely a great addition to her repertoire. Recommended to those whose kids enjoy a variety of foods and love to cook!
on May 18, 2013
I bought this book for my grandson who likes to cook. The recipes include full page pictures and well written step-by-step instructions. I particularly love the introductory paragraph for each recipe which explains where the recipe comes from and how locals make it. Some recipes are more complex than others, but still easy to follow. And these recipes are made from real ingredients, not prepackaged boxed food. I am an excellent cook, and I have tried several recipes because they sounded so delicious. And they turned out just as pictured.
This is a great book for both kids and adults.
VINE VOICEon April 12, 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
Kid friendly will be subjective! Yes, these foods may be kid friendly to those for whom the recipes are indigenous, In my opinion/expreience younger kids, with their developing palates may have problems with some of the recipes. I think pre-teens, teens, and adults will enjoy it.

The recipes are concise, easy to make, and delicious. The photographs are well done, but a few with the various stages would have been nice. It would be helpful for the kids to see they are on the right track. From an adult perspective these recipes are quite healthy. The upside is introducing kids to cuisine from other countries, teaching them the joy of cooking, expanding the palate, and learning/experienceing other cultures.

I recommend this book, with the caveat that in my opinion, gleaned from the kids I know, it is for those say 10 and up. Those younger in your life may be more inclined to try new things when it comes to food, so I wouldn't hesitate getting this book for them if one feels that is the case.
on January 22, 2016
My 5-year old son loves this cookbook! He loves the idea of being able to try foods from other countries and it is the first one he picks up every time I ask him to pick out something when menu planning.
For me, some of the steps are too detailed-- great for kids who are cooking completely on their own, however, a little cumbersome for adults who are helping or overseeing. There are some recipes that are quite complex, but others are simple enough for him to do mostly on his own. We have already used it for several recipes and all have turned out well.
Several recipes are bases for other recipes (chicken stock, red curry). It is a great cookbook and he really enjoys it, which is the important part.
VINE VOICEon January 30, 2013
This was just what we wanted as our grandkids want to learn how to cook and this book is perfect for a starter cookbook.
We got another one, too, and the kids were excited about learning/trying new stuff. It is so much fun when you get the right gifts, so you can participate with them. We have 12 grandkids so it seems like all of them like the books we have given out over the years. Enjoy!