5.0 out of 5 stars Bottom Line - It Works!
I've always hated the thought of buying diet books - if you want to diet, it just takes discipline. Who needs a book? But, when I saw this guy on TV, it seemed like it made so much more sense that any of the other diets out there.

Published on May 12, 2005 by G. Collins

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Read the Book.....
Everything you need to know is already out there. Eat every three hours. Keep your blood sugar stable. Pick healthier choices if you can. Exercise a little. I got all the info from the media and I had lost 10 pounds before even buying the book. I read the book and got nothing new from it. Don't bother. Just do the diet. Its great!
Published on August 2, 2005 by Jacquelyn E. McCoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Bottom Line - It Works!, May 12, 2005
This review is from: The 3-Hour Diet: How Low-Carb Diets Make You Fat and Timing Makes You Thin (Hardcover)

So, I bought the book. It looks for a 2-lb loss per week without exercise. I try to walk each evening between 2-5 miles. I started at 201 lbs, lost 5 pounds in week 1, 4 pounds in week 2, and 3 pounds in week 3. I'll be much more than satisfied if I can lose 2 pounds in each of the next four weeks, to lose 20 total. I've lost 1 inch off my waist, but 4 inches off of my belly.

I feel better, I get full quicker, and now, I just can't believe the eating habits I used to have. I eat everything I enjoy, in moderation, and I'm the talk of my office and my friends. I think I've sold a few books.

This is the only diet book that makes any sense. Plus, lots of fast food choices, and specific frozen meal suggestions, as well as recipes if you have the time. I jokingly refer to the book as my Egg McMuffin diet - once a week, I'll have an Egg McMuffin, milk, and fruit for breakfast.

You gotta buy this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars It Works, May 9, 2005
Richard (Indianapolis) - See all my reviews
It may be a copy of The Zone or something else, and it may be simple common sense, but the bottom line is that it actually works. I have lost three pounds every week and have never once counted calories. I guess some of us know what we should be eating, but need some sort of aid to push us in the right direction. This "diet" is actually a way to change your eating habits for life, and I guess if you find something else well-balanced that works, go for it.

That said:

* It is quite interesting that so many wildly enthusiastic posts about the book are from Jorge's hometown of San Diego. And JAnderson who has posted exactly one Amazon review -- could it be Jenn Anderson from Jorge's staff?

* The book itself is way, way, way padded. The actual eating plan could have been published in a 50-page pamphlet. Too much space is spent bashing other diets, and the daily journal of pretty much blank pages takes up a lot of the book, as do testimonials from people who have found success with the plan.

* Even if you buy the book and find success with Jorge's plan, be wary of "joining" the website. The things Jorge promises you'll find there are not there at all. The most you get is a forum to share with other "cruisers," which for some people is actually quite helpful. But not much else is there.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I give the book four stars because the eating plan does work, and it is sensible, well-balanced eating. He provides food lists, so you are not dependent on frozen meals or fast foods, as an earlier poster claimed (although he provides those options as well). If you can't create your own menu from the foods listed, I feel sorry for you. And if you can't commit to eating every three hours, perhaps you are not really committed to losing weight -- or perhaps another diet would work better for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars losing with 3 hour diet, April 10, 2005
I started the 3 Hour Diet 12 weeks ago and in those weeks I have lost 30 pounds and 2 dress sizes. It has been the best thing to ever happen to me. It has given me a way to lose weight and still eat anything I want. I have not once felt deprived and once my body got use to the schedule of eating every 3 hours I'm no longer hungry. Best of all for me was the fact that I like to have my glass of wine at night and with this diet I can still do that. To me that was amazing for a diet!! Diet isn't even the right word for this.....it's a life style change, and an easy one at that. This is truely the easiet diet I've ever been on!! And just a note....I lost that 30 pounds with out excersizing. But now I have added that to my routine and I can't wait to see what the result will be.

I've tried lots of diets and I can't recommmend this one enough!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me. I recommend it!, September 12, 2007
Michael Rogers (Henderson, NV USA) - See all my reviews
I got this book about a month and a half ago. I also got the cookbook and followed the recipes. I started on the diet for real 1 month ago. In the last month I have lost 20 pounds and 2 inches off my belly. All I have done is followed the diet with a little cheating and jogged 2-4 times a week for 30-40 minutes (not part of the diet, but a good idea since I cheat a little). I don't know how proven the science is behind eating every 3 hours, for me it is more of a psychological thing...if the meal I just had didn't seem to totally fill me up it doesn't matter because I know I'm going to eat again in another 3 hours. i also like that it does not rely on only one type of food nor does it totally prohibit any food. It is all about decreasing calories and portion control. The cookbook is so great because if you follow the recipes you don't even have to think about how any calories you are eating because they have already been counted for you. Admittedly some of the recipes are not all that great tasting, but there are o many of them in there that we have found plenty that we love. This is not just something you do half heartedly, it is all or nothing if you want results, but it is very easy to stick to. It is not just a temporary "diet" it has become a way of lifelong healthy eating.

Update 10/14/07
I have not been exercising for the past few weeks, but I continue to lose weight. I have lost a total of 27 lbs. and 4.5 inches around my belly.

Update 11/23/07
I survived Thanksgiving! I had all the Thanksgiving food I wanted, but nothing more. I have now lost 35 pounds in a little more than 3 months. I have lost 6.5 inches off my belly.

Update 1/7/2008
I made it from Thanksgiving through New Years and not only did I not gain weight but I lost some. I have now lost 40 pounds and 6.75 inches! I would have lost more, but I admit I cheated a little over the holidays. Still I was able to cheat and enjoy the festivities of the holidays and still lose 5 pounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars this does work!, September 18, 2006
I was feeling a little lost when I started this diet. I have done them all: Atkins, Thurmond, Weight Watchers, and so on. You get the picture. They all work, but with the exception of Weight Watchers, they all got boring or were intolerable. How long can one go without one's favorite foods? Also, at middle age and female I found it harder to shed the pounds, even with my 5 days of cardio. I started this diet about 8 weeks ago and I really like it. I have lost 16 pounds and still loosing. Moreover, because you eat every three hours I don't find that I am hungry. The best part is I can still incoporate my favorite foods on this plan. I really find this one doable. The best part is I find myself in situations where I eat out a lot. With this plan, that too, can be done. The only area for improvement, at least for me, is he does not stress the exercise aspect in the book or indicates only 8 minutes will do. I do much more than 8 minutes daily, which I believe is necessary for weight loss and good health. However, overall, I really like this way of eating and will continue to do so once I reach my goal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way of Life... Not another Diet, August 26, 2006
Connie (Western Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for a way of life instead of another diet, I suggest you read this book. Since being on the program 6 weeks, I am down 16 lbs. I eat every 3 hours, which includes 3 balanced meals, 2 snacks (I suggest the 3 Hour Diet Bars), and a treat. I find I don't have the lose of energy half way through my day and feel much, much better. Because I am never starving, I can easily walk past temptations without giving it a second thought. I perfer an apple over a brownie these days! This from a former junk food junkie!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars IT WORKS!!!, August 20, 2006
This way of eating works, and I say way of eating because that's what it is. It is not a diet, it is a change that you have to make to help yourself. In the first week I was using this program I lost 7lbs, and the following weeks I continued to lose between 2-4lbs a week, I al almost at my goal weight now. My mother in law works at a YMCA and she is now suggesting this book to all of her clients and friends lokoing to lose weight. This plan is EASY, and EFFECTIVE! Here is a typical day for me:

8:30am - Breakfast (nutrigrain waffles(2), 2 scrambled eggs, and a orange 400cal)
11:30 - Snack (Dannon Lite and fit yogurt 100cal)
2:30 - Lunch (Healthy Choice frozen meal, 1c berries 400cal)
5:30 - Snack & Dinner (Chicken Breast, Stuffing, Green Beans & a Bryers Lite Ice cream sandwich 500cal)
8:30 - Treat (banana popsicle 50cal)

You can combine snacks and treats with meals to it your schedule. I also recommend joining the 3HD website at [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm One of His Success Stories!, October 18, 2005
I can't say enough nice things about what Jorge has done for weight loss, and especially what his plan has done for me. Yes, I think he's tried to appeal to main-stream folks with some of his pre-prepared foods, but sometimes you have to do that for folks who say they don't have time to prepare diet meals. I used his 8 MINUTES IN THE MORNING FOR REAL SHAPES, REAL SIZES which focuses on the more natural foods.

I'm 59 years old and have fought the food battle since jr. high school, but I've lost 105# on Jorge's diet--in fact, I'm page 48 of this very book! Now, if someone had told me 2 years ago that I'd be a success story for a diet, I'd have thought them insane. But each individual has to decide that they HAVE to lose weight--NO diet works if you can't commit to it--and if and when they do, you won't find a more sensible plan to follow. I did, and have kept it off for 9 months. --Deborah Bausmith, Columbus, OH

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Realistic Eating Plan, April 9, 2007
WOW! I just read through 100 reviews of this book and am very suprised at all of the negative reviews. I have been on the plan for 12 weeks and have lost 13 pounds. It works and it is simple and easy to follow. If you expect to just buy this book and have the pounds fall off by themselves, then every diet will fail for you. Yes, you actually have to put a little time, effort and planning into this program, but do you want to loose the weight? The plan is basic and not earth-shattering, but I disagree with another review that people already know about fats, carbs and proteins. People do not understand bio-chemistry and how the body processes and uses nutrients. If you don't want to know all the details, fine, skip over it. I like knowing why the plan works and I would think it was a fad if he didn't explain the science behind it. Understanding the principles behind it, encourages you to stick to it.

I have used the original 8 Minutes in the Morning plan with moderate results because I still ate too many calories. Now I eat every 3 hours and follow the calorie guidelines. Since I am only 5-foot tall I have reduced my intake to 1200 calories. I am not hungry-ever! There are many suggestions for foods to eat, and yes some foods are better than others. But what Jorge is trying to do is not limit any foods. He knows that if you tell someone that they can't have any cookies, that they will not even try to stay on the diet, because they are only thinking about the cookies that are prohibited. In this plan, you will have a better success rate of staying on the diet if you have have a cookie everyday. And trust me, once you see the weight coming off, there will be days when you don't eat that cookie and choose something healthier instead.

The exercise plan in this book is not enough for me, so I use the exercise from 8 Minutes and add some extra abs almost everyday. Its OK to modify this plan to meet your body and lifestyle. Jorge even admits in this book that this plan was made for people who don't want to exercise. He never proposes that people don't have to work out. This is a plan to lose weight and you don't have to exercise. Although if you exercise, you will accelerate your weightloss.

I have successfully used this program without joining the website or spending money on any products other than food at the grocery store. You will learn to read labels on everything that you put in your mouth. I like being able to grab a Lean Cusine and have the calories already figured out.

I give this book 5 stars. I like all of the testamonials. I like the journal entries. I like the motivational techniques. And they are real people like we all know. There are no model-thin, bikini-clad babes in here. They are all down to earth, everday people who have gotten off their butts and taken control of their lives and their bodies.

-C. Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars It can work for you, too!, April 22, 2005
I followed Jorge Cruise's "The 3 Hour Diet" and was amazed by the results. I lost 35 pounds in just over three months. Have you ever tried to stick to a diet and avoid your cravings for items you couldn't have? I sure couldn't avoid them and set myself up for failure again and again. I would always get cravings for things I couldn't have and would want them more and more until I had it. And of course, I would totally overindulge.

By following the "3 Hour Diet" I could eat absolutely anything. I just had to be mindful of how much I could have and when to have it. I could have the birthday cake at the office. Yes, I would only have a few bites and have it as my afternoon snack but that is all that I needed. By losing two to three pounds a week, I was motivated to continue on and not have more than I needed.

This is truly a diet that doesn't feel like a diet! "The 3 Hour Diet" showed me the proper proportions to eat, how to select the right balance of proteins and carbs, and the way to incorporate this into my lifestyle- whether I am home, at work or on the road. I am so proud of my accomplishments and the fact that I have formed good eating habits that I know will last a lifetime!

The 3-Hour Diet: How Low-Carb Diets Make You Fat and Timing Makes You Thin