4.0 out of 5 stars Good times...
Published on September 22, 2004 by Papoose

3.0 out of 5 stars Just not the same
I love every song done on this album......but no one pulls off Bob's songs better than Bob himself. There were some high points, Neil Young, The Band, Tom Petty. But the all time high point was Bob, singing It's Alright Ma... and Girl From the North Country. Bob wrote 'em, and only Bob truly knows how to sing 'em.
But, if you don't like Bob's voice, then this is...
Published on January 20, 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Good times..., September 22, 2004
This review is from: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (Audio CD)
This concert, held back in October of '92, brought together a startling array of artists, whose presence alone was tribute to the musical significance of Bob Dylan. Thankfully, they all brought instruments with them, and somebody thought to record it. What we have here are some highlights of that show, which featured remarkably tight playing throughout. Some of the highlights are surprises, others quite expected: Willie Nelson gets the vibe of "What Was It You Wanted" just right, the Clancy Brothers do a glorious rendition of "When the Ship Comes In", and the O'Jays' (yes, the O'Jays) performance of "Emotionally Yours" is downright stunning. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are a powerhouse, with Duck Dunn guesting on bass and a dual drum attack of Stan Lynch and Jim Keltner. Hearing The Band (well, 3/5 of it, anyway) give what was their first performance in ages was a treat. And Neil Young pretty well steals the show.

For all the highlights, there are a few things could have been better about this set. George Harrison's performance of "If Not For You" somehow didn't make it on here. The sound mix is decidedly bland throughout. Chrissy Hynde's guitar is completely buried on "I Shall Be Released", as are Garth Hudson and Richard Bell's accordians on "When I Paint My Masterpiece" (no wonder Neil Young insisted on mixing his tracks himself). The greatest indignity of all, though, is saved for Roger McGuinn, who sang ALL FOUR verses of "Mr. Tambourine Man" that night, not just the two that appear in this hacked-up version. The "Everybody" rendition of "Knockin' on Heavan's Door" is quite chaotic - despite the familiarity of the song, people seem to playing two different sets of chords. And, on a humorous but hardly surprising note, Bob's vocal on "My Back Pages" was redone later (I know - I still have the tape I made from the radio broadcast that night - plus, you can check the video, they don't show his mouth at all).

I think the Sinead O'Connor incident would have made a worthwhile inclusion as well, as a document of what the Woodstock generation are like now.

In any case, none of these drawbacks should keep you from buying and enjoying this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Spectacular Album, July 11, 2003
This review is from: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (Audio CD)
This album is BIG. The headliners are legends, the playlist is awesome and the music is overwhelming. Maybe there's a song or artist that isn't your favorite but there is so much to like, it's a no risk deal.

Some of my favorite parts: Booker T and the MGs backed almost everyone - their set with Neil Young was as good as his best stuff with Crazy Horse, absolutely stratospheric. George Harrison was delightfully perfect. Don't Think Twice - Clapton IS God. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers turned Rainy Day Women into its own party. My Back Pages is one of the best songs I've ever heard on any album. Clapton, McGuinn, Petty, Young, Dylan and Harrison each sing a verse. Play it loud, it will give you goosebumps. This doesn't take away anything from Johnny Cash, Richie Havens, the O'Jays, Tommy Makem and The Clancy Brothers and everyone else but it would start to sound like I copied the liner notes to list everyone who makes this album a really special treat.

OK, what could have been better? The Band only made it onto the album for one song - that was good but I would have enjoyed more. They are The Band, after all (or at least most of them..). And yeah - Stevie Wonder got a little preachy but he still played great. I've always liked live albums and this is one of the best I've found.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great live recordings of all time!, March 30, 2007
This review is from: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (Audio CD)
This is the most consistently "borrowed" CD I own. In fact I just re-purchased it because my original copy from many years ago was "borrowed" and not returned. Even though I downloaded it to ITunes and listen to it mostly on my IPod, I enjoy it so much that I want the original CD in my collection...not just a copy. What's so great about this CD? Well,the talent roster reads like a Who's Who of rock and country legends...from 1992. Legends who were great then and are still great now. It's not just Dylan....its Dylan sung live by Neil Young, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Willie Nelson, Ron Wood, June Carter & Johnny Cash, John Mellencamp, Stevie Wonder, Lou Reed, Eddie Vedder, Tracy Chapman, Tom Petty, Johnny Winter, Richie Havens etc., etc. This recording is a classic, a virtual museum of music greats at the top of their form singing songs by one of the greatest song writers of our era. There is not a bad track on this 2 CD set. Buy this CD. You won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Fine Tribute Set, August 24, 2013
This review is from: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (Audio CD)
I really liked this double CD, found it worth every penny, would recommend it highly. There is some stuff on these two discs that is just simply too good to describe. Tracy Chapman's rendition of the "Times They Are A-Changin'" shoots straight to your soul. Richie Havens version of "Just Like a Woman" gives the song a whole new dimension. Eric Clapton's two songs are eerie. Mr. D performs admirably on "It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)," and surpasses himself on "Girl from the North Country." But the real outstanding song on this set is the version of "Absolutely Sweet Marie," performed by the late George Harrison.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have if you're a Dylan fan, October 23, 2006
KV Trout (Centerville, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic tribute concert! The hightlights for me are:

Tom Thumb's Blues and All Along the Watchtower by Neil Young - he really nailed these songs!

Chrissie Hynde does a great job on I Shall Be Released

Clapton's Don't Think Twice is absolutely amazing! I am NOT a big Clapton fan but he is back to his old self here, doing blues rock, and his playing - and SINGING - are better than I've ever heard him, live.

Tom Petty excels on License To Kill.

McGuinn's Mr. Tambourine Man shows you why the Byrds took flight for a long, beautiful journey back in 1965 or so.

Then you have Richie Havens on Just Like A Woman

And of course Dylan's own Girl From the North Country.

George Harrison's Absolutely Sweet Marie, I thought was a poor selection for him to do, but it's still great to hear him. He fares better in his part of My Back Pages featuring Dylan, McGuinn, Petty, Young and Clapton as well, which may be the highlight of the disc.

There are a few other good songs, and those plus the above make it worth owning this disc!

Everyone has their own taste, but for me, the other artists not mentioned here did not fare so well, even though I do like some of them.

What I did was take the above list of songs and put them on a cd-r, and it is a 100% fantastic single cd! You might want to choose your favorites and do the same. But get this set, it's amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome Bobfest!, June 21, 2007
This review is from: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (Audio CD)
I was living in NYC and working when I heard this concert announced on the radio. Sold out in minutes! Never did get a ticket, much to my regret but this cd and the accompanying video make me feel as if I was there to celebrate the music of Bob Dylan or as Neil Young proclaimed, 'Bobfest!'. Rarely a week goes by when I don't listen to a few tunes from this concert. The collection of artists could make the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame quake in it's boots. John Mellencamp kicks things off in high gear with LIKE A ROLLING STONE. My other favorites are Richie Havens, JUST LIKE A WOMAN. Eddie Vedder, MASTERS OF WAR. The Clancy Brothers really kick it in with, WHEN THE SHIP COMES IN and Shawn Colvin kicks a** with YOU AIN'T GOING NOWHERE. The Band WHEN I PAINT MY MASTERPIECE and what a finish with MY BACK PAGES and KNOCKING ON HEAVENS DOOR. My only regret about this cd is someone should have edited Stevie Wonder's ranting before he kicks off BLOWIN IN THE WIND. Political rants don't belong on this cd, it's all about celebrating the songs of one of our greatest artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fitting Tribute to a Master Songwriter, September 11, 2009
This review is from: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (Audio CD)
This album really shows how broad Bob Dylan's influence has been in the music world. The list of performing artists reads like a who's who of most major music genres. While I can't say I love all the performances (the Carter/Cash rendition of "It Ain't Me Babe" comes to mind), the majority of them are marvelous and one may never hear these renditions again. I had this album on Cassette but had to get it on CD as well. This album is a great buy for any Dylan fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dylan's 30th Anniversary Concert, June 1, 2007
This review is from: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (Audio CD)
Any Dylan fan would appreciate the scope of his compositions, especially if done by such an array of artists. Even though this concert is from 1993, the music holds up. New approaches of Dylan songs by the artists just go to show how the songs are timeless. Johnny Winters take on Highway 61 smokes and My Back Pages is the cut that initially caught my interest. You cannot go wrong in purchasing this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some really classic moments, March 14, 2003
Gary Jennings "JenningsMusic" (Hesperia, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (Audio CD)
In my humble opinion, Bob Dylan has always been a much better songwriter than a performer and his performances here are good examples of a bad night for Bob. But what makes this collection so good are the classic interpretations of his songs by really great artists, included here, that you won't hear anywhere else. Clapton's version of Don't Think Twice, It's All Right is absolutely amazing. It is definitely the way that song was meant to be done. Another classic moment is Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready's version of Masters of War. Vedder brings out the anger Bob must have been feeling when he wrote it. Of course, Chrissie Hynde, Johnny Winter and Tom Petty are amazing too. Well worth the price of admission.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Greatest Concerts of all time, January 5, 2006
Michael Wheeler "Stratocaster" (Las Vegas, Nevada United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (Audio CD)
Bob Dylan over the years has influenced many people, and now its time for those people to give something back.

Dylan is one of the most respected musicians of our day, so they decided to have a concert in his honor.

You hear everyone from Willie Nelson to Sevie Wonder and John Mellencamp, singing in Bobs honor

The Highlights are Neil Young doing All Along the Watchtower.

Eric Clapton doing a bluesy version of Dont Think Twice Its Alright.

The Band Also does When I Paint my Masterpiece which is taken from the Basemant Tapes.

George Harrison does Absolutely Sweet Marie from Blonde on Blonde. Tom Petty does Rainy Day Women #12&35

Roger McGuinn sings his fameous version of Mr Tambourine Man which sounds just like the Byrds.

Everyone comes out for an encore and does My Back Pages and Dylan ends the concert with It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding and Girl From The North Country.

This album not only has an all-star cast but it is fun to see all the great musicians working together and having such a good time.

This is a must for any Dylan fan.................