1,559 Reviews
 (1,152)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with the right expectations
Disclaimer: I am a real reviewer who actually purchased and read the book. I felt compelled to write my first review because I was annoyed in two ways: first, the clearly fake reviewers, second, the readers who came in with ridiculous expectations about the contents of the book.

Published 20 months ago by Mark Fenny

3.0 out of 5 stars Zen and the Art of Just About Everything
Tim Ferriss tells you right off that this isn't a book about cooking, just like Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance isn't about Zen or changing oil. He'll teach you how to handle a knife and make a few interesting dishes, but mostly he takes you on a long, strange, self-indulgent, and sometimes useful trip.

What I enjoyed:

-- Ferriss's...
Published 21 months ago by Debra Eve

3.0 out of 5 stars Zen and the Art of Just About Everything, November 20, 2012
This review is from: The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life (Hardcover)

What I enjoyed:

-- Ferriss's storytelling. He has a nice way with words: "Mangalitsa acorn-finished woolly boar tasted just like acorns. I was chewing on fall, clear as crystal, in a sliver of cured ham."

-- His emphasis on the slow food movement and local, organic farming. (But strangely, his "Clean 15" foods include sweet corn, which is mostly genetically modified.)

-- His language hacking tips, which are gold. I've always wanted to master several languages and found his methodology solid and logical.

-- The 140-character Twitter recipes from almost every country in the world: fun, simple, and intriguing.

What I didn't like:

-- Ferriss's tangential teaching style. At one point he goes from braising to English's 100 most common written words to kickboxing to chess to tango spins in order to emphasize the importance of selection and sequencing. It didn't work for me, because I often lost track of the original concept.

-- His foray in into survival and hunting skills, just so you can make your own venison burger. (If you want some cricket protein bars, however, you'll need to mail order the crickets.) This section could have been a separate book and might have been fascinating as a metaphor/methodology for learning entrepreneurial skills.

-- His unrealistic (for the busy person) science experiments, such as making arugula spaghetti using a syringe and flexible tubing just to avoid that dreaded white flour. (Though some of his cocktails in the same section sound delicious.)

If I were to sum up this book in one word, it would be "manic": excessively enthusiastic and somewhat disorganized. Ferriss is obviously a curious and driven guy. I came away feeling he gets satisfaction from the ability to tackle and master anything, but not joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with the right expectations, December 9, 2012

Second disclaimer: I am NOT a Tim worshiper. The 4-Hour Workweek is a sometimes unethical pipe dream that a couple people writers imitating Tim have made money on. For most of us, it contains a couple tricks to be more efficient at our 9-5. The 4-Hour Body is a relatively interesting and fun book on fitness and diet experimentation. I learned a few tips and tricks from it and really enjoyed reading about his experiences. I have read most of Tim's blog and consider it a sometimes better alternative to "Life Hacker".

Those two disclaimers being said, this is a GREAT book if you come in with the right expectations. If you're looking for 600+ pages solely devoted to grocery shopping, prep, recipes, cooking and eating, you will not find it here. You'll find about 200-250 pages dedicated solely to such, and 200 more at least somewhat related--consisting of wilderness cooking and survival, great restaurants, 140 character recipes, and basic tools you need in the kitchen. At a macro level, the most useful cooking lessons are Tim's notes on equipment to have in your kitchen, his 10 easy recipes (most of which are really interesting/easy shortcuts), and the charts on spices that go with different countries. At a micro level, I picked up a few random tidbits from the 1/2-pagers on how to quickly defrost a steak, how to make the perfect cup of coffee, etc. The most important part of this section is that Tim teaches you HOW to cook, not just how to follow a recipe. The best part about his methodology is that he removes all roadblocks from the reader--the excessively expensive equipment, the hard to find ingredients, and the difficult cooking techniques are all put nicely out of mind with shortcuts and detailed pictures.

The rest of the book, in my opinion, is actually more interesting. The first section is about a hundred pages are worth the price of admission alone. It details a method to learn anything efficiently--Tim is merely using cooking as a MEDIUM to teach this method. I've started applying this first section to learning a number of skills already. As the middle sections are the ones devoted to cooking and wilderness survival that I detailed above, the appendix is related to random skills and interesting "life hacks" that you can learn quickly. Yes, these feel like last-minute additions but if one thing is clear Tim actually cares about his readers, why not throw in these interesting pages--they do not detract from the focus as they are part of the appendix.

If I can say one thing--buy this book. For me, I can see myself going back to it for years anytime I'd like to learn a new skill (be it with cooking or otherwise). If you want to learn HOW to cook taught in an unpretentious tone with easy to follow pictures, you'll find it here. If you're interested in shortcuts to learning complex skills, you'll find it here. If you just want to pick up a few cooking shortcuts, you will most definitely be delighted with this book. And lastly, if you are a fan of Tim and his other works, absolutely buy this book.

Lastly, a note on format, BUY THE HARDCOVER. I bought the Kindle as well since it was on sale for just $4.99 on Amazon and it does not even come close to comparing to the hardcover version. This book is meant to have pages cut out and marked up, its detailed color pictures to be seen, etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book but extremely random and reads more like a magazine, November 25, 2012
I am a fan of Tim Ferris but I have to say that this book over promises and under delivers. Ferris is the master of marketing and hype and even teaches you his techniques on his blog so it is very easy to pick out what he did. Here are some of my thoughts on the book.

- The book claims it's not a book about cooking yet 80% of the content is food related. He talks a lot about meta-learning but doesn't really dive into learning types and just gives generic learning tips.
- The book reads almost like a magazine and jumps all over the place as you progress through.
- Random mens magazine style tips (how shoot a jumpshot??, Knifes, guns, camping etc) I feel like I'm reading a GQ magazine.
- Really big book, the formatting is good but some of the pictures looked very amateur.
- You can tell he didn't write a lot of content of the book. Ferris is the master of outsourcing yet he makes it seems like he is the jack of all trades.
- Tons of pages of recipes (I thought this wasn't a cookbook?)

...more later as I progress through the book.

Overall I would say that it is a very entertaining book but I didn't find it more educational than any magazine you can pickup off the newsstands.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too scattered and unfocused, November 26, 2012
Just a short review to say that I found this book to be unfocused and scattered. I think some of the information is interesting, but I didn't like the organisation of material at all. For 4 hour fanatics it's clearly going to be worth reading, but the average person will probably find the 4 hour work week or 4 hour body more interesting and useful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable, January 14, 2014
Wow. I'm a huge fan of Tim Ferris, but this book makes me think he needs to stop taking those weird supplements. He's losing his mind. And sense of organization.

I highly doubt he wrote or edited much of this mess. I suspect he dictated it as he was performing one of his hundred adventures. Then it was codged together by an offshore team. The same team that wrote the thousand 5-star reviews.

I suspect there's some important message in this hodgepodge, but I couldn't find it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Big disappointment, December 12, 2012
Thomas Hilmersen (Cartagena de Indias, Colombia) - See all my reviews
I loved The 4-Hour Work Week, I liked The 4-Hour Body, and I dislike The 4-Hour Chef. Tim Ferriss rambles on and on about a multitude of subjects, jumping all over the place with his thoughts, images, charts, etc.. A book about learning, and nothing but learning, would have been very interesting. A book about survival, too. Or one about cooking good food easily and with little equipment. Ferriss goes the farthest in attempting the latter, but I believe he fails miserably. He writes pages and pages about cutting and the like, to the extent that I quickly got bored and did not want to continue reading. Finally, there was something that caught my interest; how to make an excellent cup of coffee. But what is this?!? To make that awesome coffee, I need some kind of fancy equipment that I have never heard about or seen anywhere, which is probably not even available outside of the USA and parts of Europe. Indeed, if I was to follow Ferriss' recommendations, I would end up with a huge closet full of new, expensive stuff - which is precisely what I have been trying to avoid during the past years. The simple fact is that cooking can be made a lot simpler, and that tons of special equipment is not necessary. I suggest that Ferriss stay off the strong tea or coffee, calms down, and creates a more organized, focused and valuable book the next time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not magic, November 20, 2012
This is a decent book but not spectacular. It didn't change my life or teach me to be a chef - and I already know quite a bit about cooking. The "Good Eats" books are much better.

I find it interesting that all the reviews for this book are 5 star. I was impressed UNTIL I noticed that all the reviews were submitted on the same day at almost the same time. So, I looked at what else the reviewers were reviewing. Most of them ONLY reviewed this book. Even those that had reviewed other items, had only reviewed one or two and they both got 5 stars as well. The reviewers must also be reading the same things because (of those few who had reviewed more than 1 item) most had also reviewed the re-educating millionaires and fit mom books.

UPDATE 11/26/2012: Since some have wanted specific criticisms, here are some things I didn't like:
- There was quite a bit of old information - things that are either common knowledge or things that Mr. Ferris has presented before. Note, I'm not a Ferris follower but I like to pick up cooking tips when I can.
- The book felt thrown together, are we learning to cook or hunt or do science experiments? Apparently, all those things and much more and in a random fashion.
- Atkin's like diet advice feels very preachy. If I want diet or nutrition advice, I'll read a book by some one who has specifically studied nutrition.
- From the title, I would have thought the book would be mostly about learning to cook like a pro and the techniques pros use with a few interesting asides. Instead, there's only a little of that, a huge spattering of recipes mixed with a ton of information on many unrelated subjects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should Be Named: "The 4 Hour Jack Of All Trades" Instead, November 21, 2012
Length:: 1:55 Mins

Do not let the size of Tim's latest book deter you. Yes it's as big as an encyclopedia but it's also as useful and structured as such. In fact, like his last book, it's more a reference that you can jump to the parts that interest you most.

All of Tim's books have been inspirations for me. The 4Hwork week inspired me to start my business, the 4hourBody was a major inspiration behind the program inside this book Train Your Taste To Trim Your Waist: A Simple Method To Love the Food That Loves You Back and now Tim's latest book is an amazing tribute to food, life and learning.

As a health, fitness and nutritional expert, I have found myself disagreeing with certain aspects of Tim's methods (or explanations) of them in the past, but for the most part I love his approach to experimentation, life and bio-hacking and determining what works best for you.

First, what I disliked: The name of the book. It's actually misleading. Although innovative recipes and methods of cooking seem to comprise the majority of the content, there are a lot of non-cooking related topics that are equally as useful. A more apt title might be The 4-Hour Jack of All Trades With A Specialization In Cooking Cool Stuff. Ok I know that's a terrible title, but the book conveys so much more than cooking.

I'm a huge learning-addict, so the "Meta Learning" chapter was what I jumped to first. That's a smart idea because there's a lot to "digest" in this book.

Next, I jumped to the Sexy Steak chapter because that had one of the most alluring names obviously.

Now, I'm a big proponent of Juicing Vegetables...but I have to admit, a good grass fed steak is an awesome treat and I look forward to using Tim's recipe...including the Pine Pollen...which for reasons I won't be discussing on this review is already on order :) (read the book to understand why.)

How to use this book for maximum effectiveness? Keep it handy in your kitchen or coffee table. Flip to it when you're bored or want to try something new.

Most importantly, try out the recipes, learn something new and give life a new flavor. After all, that's what I think Tim's work is really about...adding spice to life and finding new, exciting ways to live it.

I look forward to finishing your book Tim...or most of it at least. (And no, I don't regret having bought the physical book for 4x the cost of the kindle, because I might need to use it as a survival weapon)

2.0 out of 5 stars I feel like a beta tester for the kindle edition, November 21, 2012
I bought the book for my kindle and a LOT of links are broken or -which is worse- they send me to a wrong page.
Sometimes I ended up in a loop and the only way to get out of it was to go to he next chapter and find my way backwords... not easy, since the table of contents just lists the beginning of the macrochapters.
It makes everything very frustrating.

Amazon customer service was super kind and super quick and sent me an updated version... which still has several of these glitches.

As for the content, I was enjoying my read...

4.0 out of 5 stars If you get a few uses out of this <$30 book it is worth it, November 30, 2012
This book isn't just about cooking. It's a lot about how to look at life and learning skills. Tim's unique approach to learning skills translates into how he organizes and runs his life which is quite fascinating. The learning a skill section was really helpful, but I also learned a few cooking skills as well. I have been cooking for about 15 years now and I think there's always something more to learn. I feel that Tim's writing has a lot of influence from Dale Carnegie's style and how he changes the voice of the book a lot. Overall, its a great book, but sometimes it does lose some focus. I would have rather him focus a lot more on learning skills because that can be translated into anything. For less than $30, it's a steal. Hats off Tim.

$35.00 $21.00