5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Uplifting, and Honest!
Published on October 27, 2009 by K

1.0 out of 5 stars Believe the truth -- this one is stunning!
If this kid ever stops breastfeeding and grows up, he may have some real potential. Good sentence structure. Appropriate use of punctuation.
Published on February 20, 2012 by TN Vols Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Uplifting, and Honest!, October 27, 2009
K "K" (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 40-Year-Old Version: Humoirs of a Divorced Dad (Paperback)
I couldn't have bought a better present for my hubby, a Divorced Dad--we love reading it together, laughing and crying as we turn the pages of the short stories (most only 2-3 pages long) that speak VOLUMES to us as readers in a blended family. I HIGHLY recommend ALL Divorced and Separated Dads buy this book, or all Stepmoms and other family members and friends who know a Divorced/Separated Dad to buy them this book as a special gift that will be sure to uplift him in a very difficult time. No one feels alone after reading this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essays about life and fatherhood as a newly divorced dad., August 28, 2009
The 40-Year-Old Version: Humoirs of a Divorced Dad

"In short, it took divorce to make me a better father," writes Joel Schwartzberg early in The 40-Year-Old Version, a collection of forty insightful and humorous essays about fatherhood and life. The topics of these brief essays vary widely over a range of fatherhood experiences, and many of them deal with how he is learning to reinvent himself as a newly divorced father. They range from adjusting to his son's disinterest in playing sports or watching the Super Bowl ("'Nachos help,' I told him."), to his first time dropping his kids off at school as a divorced dad ("Does something about my demeanor shout `part-time parent!'"), to his encounters with children's television ("One fateful afternoon, Charlie and I came upon `little boy catnip' - Power Rangers.") He also writes about many of the other idiosyncrasies of modern life, including greeting cards ("Birthday cards are probably the most popular of all greeting cards, but why do so many of them treat aging past 40 as something that deserves sadistic ridicule?"), his British-accented GPS ("She once disappointed me by suggesting a sudden left turn across a four-lane highway - and a concrete median - to get to a children's bowling party."), and Valentine's Day ("At one Target store, I saw Spiderman valentines, Darth Vader-themed valentine chocolates, and military camouflage tattoo valentines."). The 40-Year-Old Version is filled with honesty and wry humor about the unexpected roads that life and fatherhood can take us down.

Although he touches on it only briefly, Schwartzberg also discusses an issue which is still relatively little-known yet can have an overwhelming and unexpected impact on new fathers: depression. After his son was born he fell into a deep depression that contributed in part to the breakdown of his marriage: "I remember sitting on the hard wood floor next to my son, both of us exhausted and craving a more comprehensible reality. Charlie started crying; then I did. We didn't just cry - we bawled." In time, Schwartzberg and was able to give his depression a name: Paternal Postnatal Depression (PPND). PPND affects 1 out of every 10 new dads (studies suggest that it may be as high as 1 out of every 4 new dads), and is a serious clinical condition that can be crippling. If you suspect that you may be experiencing PPND, there is no need to feel ashamed or to suffer alone. You can go to [...], where you can find more information about PPND, take an assessment test to find out if you have PPND, and find an online community of supportive men.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Humoirs" Is Something Divorced Dads Can Laugh (and Cry) About, November 4, 2009
Through his collection of short essays, Joel recreates the exhilaration, confusion, awkwardness, satisfaction, insight, and quirk in being a divorced father. Stories like "Lazy Dadurday" offer a glimpse into those special moments and new routines with dad after a split, while others ("Beige Food" and "Sponge Bob Wins") are humorous commentary on the world in which his children live.

Though the main theme of the book centers around fatherhood, there are several chapters that would make anyone smile, not just parents. I mean who hasn't taken their mother to the Oscars, blown off law school or been on the Wheel of Fortune? And Joel's tongue-in-cheek rants against things like the greeting card industry and parking lot etiquette are the stuff of an endearing curmudgeon in the making.

But for all the fun, Humoirs is not just a bowl for sugary cereal for readers to smile over after every bite-sized chapter. Joel balances sweetness with seriousness opening up about male post-partum depression and his son's Chiari malformation diagnosis. His honesty on such weighty topics gives the book a depth that readers can sympathize with without having to give into pity.

Flipping through the pages brought on an eerie familiarity, like Joel had actually been chronicling my own experiences as a newly divorced father. "It took a divorce to make me a better father," Joel states in describing how he found his "inner parent." This is the exact thought I have when spending time with my children, and it gives me a sense of comfort knowing I am well beyond the beginner level of parenting. Humoirs is not just a great read; it also gives a voice to divorced dads working without fanfare to stay involved in their children's lives.

The entire review can be read at Clark Kent's Lunchbox [...].

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not what I was expecting but it still was enjoyable., December 18, 2013
I'm in the process of getting a divorce and have been looking everywhere for "help" to be the best possible dad I can be under these circumstances. I came across this book and thought it would be a humorous look at the process that is divorce. Now there is some of that in this book but not to the extent that I thought there would be. So I read the book with that frame of mind and it never met the expections that I had created for myself. That's no one's fault but mine for not digging a little deeper into what this book was about. What it is about is the life of a dad who happens to be divorced and it does that well. The short story form is used which I enjoyed and made the book a very quick read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Read With a Deeper Message, August 1, 2013
When Joel Schwartzberg got in touch with me on Facebook and asked if I'd be interested in reviewing his award winning book, my immediate reaction was positive. Reading and reviewing books is something I love to do. You get a free book to read and all you have to do is write a few critical lines. What's not to like?

Then, when I realized that the secondary title was 'Humoirs of a Divorced Dad' my Irish Catholic hangups started to kick in. Divorce was a dirty word where I came from. Visions of unloved, unwanted, neglected kids and embittered, disillusioned parents came to mind. Did I really want to review this book? But I'd said I would and along it came. And read it I did and reviewing it I am. And do you know something? I freaking loved this book. It was seriously good. Humorously good too.

I suppose as a reader and reviewer of romance novels, I've become accustomed to the happy ending always being a 'given'. Yet romance novels are very often just fantasies. Real life has many shades. They aren't all rose coloured. Of course nobody likes the idea of divorce, but if it comes to that, it's great if the two former spouses can put their differences aside and co-parent their offspring in a sensible and realistic way.

This book isn't so much autobiography as a series of essays on The Life and Times of Joel and Life As He Lives It. Joel's being a divorced father of three kids (all under ten at the time the book was written) colours the book and the essays he writes. He's a great father. He only gets to be with the kids on Saturdays ('Dadurdays', as the kids call them) but he makes them count. He probably spends more quality time with the children then many married dads do. In some ways, he's a spectator in his kid's lives, ever observing and watchful and ready to jump in when required. His second wife also cares for the kids and has won them over with her patience and dedication. :Not that Joel ever says so directly - you just find yourself reading between the lines. The fact that the kids have such a chilled out relationship with their father and his partner probably says a lot about what a good mother they have too. Not that Joel ever says that either. But you probably understand what I mean.

I love the word 'humoirs'. Humorous memoirs. Joel is a writer anyway and happens to have a deliciously ironic and self deprecating sense of humour which I truly appreciate. He's particularly funny when he shares about moving back in with his parents as an adult, when he was newly separated from his first wife. You just never can go back there, can you?

As I once read somewhere, 'life is strange with it's twists and turns as every one of us sometimes learns'. Joel deserves great success with his book for proving beyond doubt that a so-called sad ending isn't necessarily the end of the world after all. And that's really something.

4.0 out of 5 stars One For The Guys (and Ladies too), January 21, 2013
For the busy parent with just a few minutes to spare, this is an easy one to pull out, turn a few pages, have a laugh, reflect and then get back to life.

I love the fact that this book is written by a dad. So many of my divorce books (especially the fun ones) were penned by women. So, here's one for the guys. And it's not about some dude using his newfound freedom to be a part-time parent and a part-time partyboy.

Although the title leads us to believe that the book is all about being a divorced dad, that's not the case. This could be a letdown or a nicety, depending on one's perspective. The topics range from Mr. Schwartzberg's childhood experiences through his current "Dadurday" lifestyle with his children and second wife. It's truly entertaining as well as thought-provoking.

Tara Eisenhard, author of [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed Out Loud, May 10, 2009
Joel's humor in this book is so great because it is real. This book will make any father laugh and reminds us all to cherish the short time we have with our kids--divorced or not. I recommend this for all parents--simply a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Insightful Author, May 28, 2009
Okay, full disclosure: I haven't yet read this book, but I'm a huge fan of the author, Joel Schwartzberg. I'm an avid reader of Joel's columns in the NJ Star Ledger and the Huffington Post website. It's rare to find an author that so perfectly captures the many facets of parenthood--from the highs to the lows, all with a dose of good humor and keen insight. I'm looking forward to digging into this author's first 'humoir'.

1.0 out of 5 stars Believe the truth -- this one is stunning!, February 20, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time with this tripe, January 16, 2012
Neon Martini (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I first learned about this book while listening to the Michael Medved radio show. Medved somehow got wind of this tripe and made fun of the book on the air. The author - Schwartzberg - decided to call in to try and defend himself (or herself). This Schwartzberg character claims to suffer from - get this - Male Postpartum Depression Syndrome. Male Postpartum? MALE?!?!? You have got to be kidding me! Anyway, I had to check the book out. What a pathetic book by a really pathetic little creature. Grow up, deal with life and quit trying to invent some new disorder to explain away your faults. Loser. Don't waste your time with this book.

The 40-Year-Old Version: Humoirs of a Divorced Dad
The 40-Year-Old Version: Humoirs of a Divorced Dad by Joel Schwartzberg (Paperback - June 1, 2009)
$15.00 $14.40