5.0 out of 5 stars You will be happy with this purchase
Published 20 months ago by Patrick

2.0 out of 5 stars I did not agree with the author. I did ...
I did not agree with the author. I did learn about a few books that I didn't know about but I just didn't agree with his choices.
Published 22 days ago by Lewis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars You will be happy with this purchase, February 22, 2013
This review is from: The 50 Greatest Guitar Books (Paperback)
As a student of Shawn's, I have always been blown away by his vast knowledge of not only the guitar, but of all things music in general. Often times our lessons go well over the 60 minutes and we discuss many items that are included in this book. I was very happy when Shawn published this book so I would have access to his knowledge at my fingertips at any time. By his recommendation I had purchased several of the books included here and they have helped me tremendously. Shawn's passion and dedication for music and teaching are unmatched by anybody I know and that passion comes through in these pages. This is more than a guitar book about guitar books. Read it and you are almost sure to learn something new and/or discover an extraordinary artist or piece of music that you never knew existed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendously fun and educational book, February 18, 2013
H. Kaiser (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 50 Greatest Guitar Books (Paperback)
Having bought more than 100 guitar learning books in my 40 years of guitar playing- it turns out that I was familiar with quite a few of the books here... maybe 20% of them and they were great and formative books for me. I was amazed how many other intriguing books that Mr. Persinger examines here. Many of these books can be had for pennies, as used books on Amazon. I think that this text is not only a great source for discovering some really useful educational texts, but also a kind of test for one's self about what one really wants to learn. As I read through Persinger's entries on the many books that I did not know, I found myself identifying, again and again, things that I did not know that I wanted to know. This feature alone makes the book transcend one's expectations for such a volume, and makes it a super useful and economical tool for guitar learning. From his comments in the book, I can tell that Persinger really understands the many different ways that guitarists effectively LEARN... and this leads one to a new self-understaning of how one HAS learned and could differently choose to learn DIFFERENTLY in the future. This book gets my highest recommendation. - Henry Kaiser

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is ESSENTIAL, and contains instant gratification!, May 18, 2013
This review is from: The 50 Greatest Guitar Books (Paperback)
Look, this book is where it's at. It's honest. Flip through it and find a chapter that sounds interesting, pick up your guitar and commit to play the "in the style of" lesson. Even listen to the MP3 download if you want guidance or just to check your practice. You will change for the better.
What I love about this book is that it has personality. I can tell it's rooting for you. Shawn has gathered so much information, and I can see that he wants you to grow in whatever guitar style you choose that hour, day, or year. He gives a great lesson then points you to the best reference if you wish to continue down the rabbit hole.
Y'know that moment of gratification you get when you catch on and understand how to play that song you love? Yeah, I get it often with this book. It's interesting, it's smart, it's the first book you should own before you start your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, March 19, 2013
This review is from: The 50 Greatest Guitar Books (Paperback)
Buy this book. I thoroughly enjoy reading it, guitar in hand, experiencing the varied genres and styles of 50 of the greatest guitar books- what a great way to explore exceptional essential guitar resoureces. Shawn provides insightful commentary with his reviews and selects awesome examples of each style using meticulous notation and tab. I particularly enjoy the lessons and like delving into styles that are new for me. I am sure I will return to many of of the lessons. Some of the reviews and lessons are like fine old friends and some are exciting new discoveries. All are delightful and provide me a great resource to continue to improve my technique and explore the best of the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommend, March 15, 2013
This review is from: The 50 Greatest Guitar Books (Paperback)
I was encouraged to learn to play the guitar after reading Shawn's writing in Wood and Steel, and was intrigued when I saw that he'd written a book.
Shawn's presentation of the 50 Greatest Guitar Books has been helpful to me as an aspiring guitar player- the inclusion of representative tabs and online audio presents the material in an understandable and approachable way. The book has turned me on to musical styles and techniques I'd have never discovered on my own. I've played from his included tabs almost exclusively since purchasing the book. I look forward to building my library with Shawn's suggestions. I recommend the book highly and have purchased several copies as gifts for guitar playing friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, March 4, 2013
This review is from: The 50 Greatest Guitar Books (Paperback)
This guitar book is a great resource for guitarists around the globe. It gives insight into many different styles and genres of guitar playing. Being a guitar teacher myself, I have been using this book to introduce my students to all of the genres and give them a taste of each style. Every guitarist should own this book. Shawn Persinger did a great job of putting this book together and I hope guitarist from all over the world will pick up their copy of The 50 Greatest Guitar Books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential public library purchase, June 1, 2013
Anne K. (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 50 Greatest Guitar Books (Paperback)
As a public librarian, I've struggled with purchasing practical music books and DVDs because the range of styles is so wide, and the appetite of musicians for more books is so voracious. (And frankly, some of us wouldn't know a good guitar book if it fell on our head, so we just stick with Mel Bay.)

Essentially the book is a collection of brief (highly focused) practical lessons based on the styles of the fifty guitar instruction books that Persinger has found most helpful for players at all levels, in many styles. Persinger's book is a perfect library pick for several reasons:

-- Although there is no audio CD with the book, Persinger's website offers all of the examples in MP3 format, at no cost. Better than a CD -- not stealable!
-- Guitar players of any level can get a lot out of the book, so it will appeal to virtually every player.
-- Patrons who are just learning about different styles can use the book as a place to find recommendations for other books to interlibrary loan from you.
-- He introduces the reader to "the best of the best" in guitar instruction books in all styles, so you could use it as a collection development tool if you had the budget.
-- Although the book is self-published, Persinger has a long history of writing for guitar magazines and for other music publishers, so it is professionally produced in every way. Actually, I'm not sure a major publisher could afford to pay the author for all the time he's clearly put into this labor of love. It's available on Amazon, so not hard to get.

I have a couple of small heads-ups for librarians -- the bulk of the book covers "popular" guitar styles like blues, jazz, rock, bluegrass, metal. There are a few pages devoted to flamenco, classical, Gypsy, and African guitar, but the major focus is popular. The book comes with a perfect binding, which is not great for laying flat or using on a music stand. So far the author doesn't offer a spiral bound option, but the book can be spiral bound at Staples for just a few dollars if you really want to do your guitar-playing patrons a favor.

IN SHORT: Persinger's book is a essential purchase for even the smallest guitar book collection. Before I saw the book, I assumed it would be a shopping list for the diehard guitar player. Not so -- it is a true instruction book for players at all levels. It's like he's gathered the greatest players, writers, and teachers into one building at Guitar University, and the reader gets to wander the hallways, knocking on the studio doors and taking a short lesson from each genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, May 31, 2013
This review is from: The 50 Greatest Guitar Books (Paperback)
I've been pouring over this book for weeks. Shawn has put together a very nice mix of styles. This and his articles in Guitar magazine has left me wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and Fun, May 3, 2013
This review is from: The 50 Greatest Guitar Books (Paperback)
This book pulls together the best guitar exercises in a range of different styles. This has been helpful (and fun) in that it has got me to learn riffs and tricks in genres that I'm not used to playing- this not only improves my overall playing, but also is a great way to get new ideas to integrate into whatever I'm working on. There is something in here for everyone, and the supplemental website includes free mp3 downloads so you can listen to the exercises that you are learning. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars its a nice book, July 12, 2013
This review is from: The 50 Greatest Guitar Books (Paperback)
its a nice a book, its very informative and is for any guitarist of any level. the only issue i have is that my copy of the book have erased text or faded away text, making it hard to read sometimes.

UPDATE
i have raised the stars in my review after actually using the book a little more and finding more awesome books about guitar that i would have never knew they would be good or fun to play with. The author sent a good copy of the book, thanks shawn,

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The 50 Greatest Guitar Books
The 50 Greatest Guitar Books by Shawn Persinger (Paperback - 2013)
Used & New from: $19.99