5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully Dazzling!!!!
Published on March 28, 2012 by elizabeth alexandra

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if you live on the west coast
This is a nice little book with interesting profiles of growers and designers. However, I was disappointed to find all the subjects live and work along the west coast where conditions are optimum for growing. There is no information or inspiration for those of us in the rest of the country, where we are not so lucky to have perfect temps and the same ideal climate.
Published 13 months ago by Jane Capron

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully Dazzling!!!!, March 28, 2012
This review is from: The 50 Mile Bouquet: Seasonal, Local and Sustainable Flowers (Hardcover)
The 50 Mile Bouquet is an amazing resource for all floral enthusiasts who want a wonderful sneak peak into the industry. The in-depth and fantastical look into local flower farmers and floral designers is beautiful, raw, and inspiring. It is here where Debra's skill as a masterful researcher and storyteller truly shines. Just beyond Debra's research and words are David's breathtaking images where he captures the vibrance and energy of the individuals who are leading the change in the industry. David is nothing short of a transcendent photographer!

5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing book!, March 26, 2012
"The 50 Mile Bouquet" introduces you to the growers in such a way that you feel like you know them; they could be your neighbor. Everyday people growing extraordinary beauty just for us to enrich our lives. After reading this book I feel more educated and enlighted on where my flowers come from and how they are grown. The photographs are so rich in color and detail you will get lost in them and wish to be transported immediately. It's a must-have for anyone who appreciates natural beauty, enjoys digging in the dirt or simply having a fresh bouquet in their home. Flowers are greeting cards from Mother Nature. Give this book to a friend. Best gift ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars rich and thoughtful, March 30, 2012
The "50 Mile Bouquet" is filled with inspiring stories of people who have passionately committed themselves to creating incredible natural beauty for us to feast on in a sustainable planet friendly way. They have all done the hard work it takes to tread lightly on the earth and still make a living. Showing us that it can be done. The photography is gorgeous; rich, sensitive, emotionally astute and perfectly integrated. A lovely book and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful look at the future of floraculture, March 24, 2012
Eloquently written and compellingly photographed, Debra Prinzing and David Perry take the reader on an enchanting journey into the growing "green" movement in the modern floral industry. Bringing farmers, florists, and flower lovers together into one cohesive unit, The 50 Mile Bouquet: Seasonal, Local and Sustainable Flowers reveals the shared steadfast passion for sustainably and/or organically grown flowers and we, the reader, finally get to read the stories of people dedicated to making this world a better place.

My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Portrait of Flowers & their Growers, March 27, 2012
Debra Prinzing has succeeded once again to find the best and most interesting people to weave into her stories--this time, on the real importance of the sustainability of flowers. In telling the tales of these passionate and devoted growers & designers, she gives us much more than a story. She shows us how we as readers can make a few small changes in our buying and gathering practices & enjoy this concept in our own environments. What a gift of knowledge--delivered in a beautiful, entertaining way, with wonderful, practical insight & tips. David Perry's shots have as much soul, and make me feel like I'm out in the field or the wholesale market at dawn. This is not only a great book to own, but a wonderful gift to give, alongside a bunch of pesticide free roses from your own back yard!

5.0 out of 5 stars Praise from Jay White at "The Masters of Horticulture" blog, March 30, 2012
This beautifully written and illustrated book is an inspiration to those of us that want more from our flowers than low cost and long vase life. By highlighting the true pioneers of the locally grown flower movement, Debra shows us that, just like our food, flowers are better when they are grown locally and in a socially responsible manner.

Most of the flowers sold in the US were grown in foreign lands at great cost to the environment. The local flower growers highlighted in this book are providing us with a better way to enjoy fresh cut floral products. My hat is off to these local growers that strive to produce the highest quality floral products to their customers at the lowest possible cost to the environment. Their methods allow them to produce a dizzying array of high quality flowers that often leave the earth in better shape than when the grower started. Because their flowers are grown and sold locally, the growers can cut and sell their products at the peak of freshness. Since the local growers do not have to ship their product half way around the world, they are able to focus on intangibles like local relevance, variety and scent.

This book it is not just about production practices. Debra also shows us the many ways that creative florists, designers and DIYers are using locally grown floral products to redefine the way the buying public defines a "floral bouquet". With ready access to things like pea vines and fruit branches, ecologically sensitive designers are building stunning arrangements that don't rely on "just" flowers. These visually stunning displays are more than just beautiful. By using locally grown products, when they are in season, these "sustainable" designers are creating arrangements that fill the buyer with a sense of place and evoke memories of the fresh cut bouquets of yesterday.

There is an old saying that goes like this: "God loved the flowers so he invented the soil. Man loved the flowers so he invented the vase". Thanks to the work of seasonal, local and sustainable flower growers we now have the option to fill our vases with flowers that are as good for the earth as they are for our soul. Thank you Debra for telling this story. Buy Local!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, March 28, 2012
Got my copy yesterday and it was like going on a flower filled nostalgic vacation. Stunning photography and inspiring narrative--I think I want to march down to City Hall and get my business license to sell local flowers!

This book is for anyone who loves flowers yet gets that disappointed feeling every time you see a stiff, unimaginative bouquet at your local grocery store. Flowers are meant to express themselves freely, not be manufactured. Prinzing heralds the "farm to table" movement for the floral industry. It's about time we get back to "real" flowers. Prinzing/Perry's book is like receiving the best May Day basket ever filled with "old fashioned" flowers from the little neighbor girl who's mother has the best garden on the street! I was that little girl for my neighbors and that's why I love this book so much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely delightful, May 2, 2012
Having recently retired and finding time on my hands I decided our yard could do with some updates. Not having a clue as to where to begin I happened upon The 50 Mile Bouquet. Much to my surprise many of the flowers and bouquets in the book are already present in my yard. From the Peonies and Lilac that my Dad brought us years ago from his mothers yard in Paradies Valley, Nevada to the roses my since passed, only sister gave my wife and I on our anniversary. This book will be a great resource in turning an old desk worker into a grower and arranger of flowers. It is filled with stunning photographs and beautiful words that set the mind reeling with possibilities. From the interesting stories of the many dedicated flower growers and arrangers, to the many helpful hints this book is for anyone with an appreciation of beauty found in their own backyard. And yes, I would consider getting some chickens for natural weeding and bug catching but, I'm not sure they would fare well with my dogs.
Thank you David and Debra for such an enchanting book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Beautifully Organic Flowers in this Fun and Informative Book, March 28, 2012
Sarah F. (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Before reading The 50 Mile Bouquet, I had no idea what it meant to be an organic flower and why supporting this industry was so important, particularly in keeping our soil safe for future generations. The book is easy to read, portable yet glossy, and the photography is outstanding. The book takes on a very personal quality by interviewing the flower growers, themselves, who have such interesting stories and backgrounds. There are tips for arranging, growing and even ordering flowers, along with phone numbers and websites to order bouquets, find sources or learn more...this book is quite a gem. Thank you, Debra Prinzing! PS. I also loved your Shed book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if you live on the west coast, January 20, 2014

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The 50 Mile Bouquet: Seasonal, Local and Sustainable Flowers
The 50 Mile Bouquet: Seasonal, Local and Sustainable Flowers by Debra Prinzing (Hardcover - April 1, 2012)
$17.95 $14.46