4.0 out of 5 stars Not buying it...
Published 18 months ago by Ellen Jackson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected
Writing style inconsistent, and the whole thing was not what I expected. It was not really a book about this author's life with animals, rather a book about her life, with animals on the fringes of her experience.
Published 18 months ago by Diane Pargament

4.0 out of 5 stars Not buying it..., January 31, 2013
I have mixed feelings about this book. It's beautifully written and quite a compelling read. My main problem is that I don't believe the author. She admits in a previous "memoir" that she's a compulsive liar. I thought I found hints of that in this book as well. In the former, she tells us that she had/has epilepsy and Munchausen syndrome and underwent an operation where the two halves of her brain were separated. Not a hint of any of that in this one which covers much of the same time period. While the story feels psychologically authentic, I'm just not buying it as literal truth. (Two deadly fires?) Some chapters are only tangentially about animals. I suggest readers read this as fiction.

P.S. I came back and gave the book an extra star. The chapter on Ivory, the swan, alone is worth the price of the book. The writing is breathtaking. But please, Ms. Slater, if you're writing fiction, label it as fiction. If the book isn't fiction, explain the lack of congruence with the earlier memoir.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as always, December 2, 2012
Slater has a dramatic, deep, troubled and honest way of looking and remembering. Sometimes disturbing but always ridiculously readable. I gave this book to my animal adoring wife who is not a big reader and she is tearing thru it. Giving us a lot to discuss.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, January 26, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Much more than the title suggests, December 28, 2012
From the title, I expected a light and fluffy book on dog ownership. Instead, I found a deeply moving story of the author's painful childhood and adolescence. I am surprised that this book is not getting more critical acclaim.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book ever., January 27, 2013
This review is from: The $60,000 Dog: My Life With Animals (Kindle Edition)
Worst book I have ever read. I know the reader had some kind of mental illness because the writing was typical of one with fragmented thoughts. Only one chapter on the dog.

2.0 out of 5 stars MY LIFE WITH ANIMALS, January 27, 2013
This review is from: The $60,000 Dog: My Life With Animals (Kindle Edition)
AGAIN, THIS WAS QUITE A RAMBLING BOOK AND I WASN'T TOO SURE OF THE AUTHOR'S MESSAGE. I ACTUALLY DID NOT FINISH IT. SORRY.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, April 9, 2014
This review is from: The $60,000 Dog: My Life With Animals (Kindle Edition)
I love reading books about animals & this book delivers. Various animals were included by this author. I haven't read her other books.

1.0 out of 5 stars I did not enjoy., February 21, 2014
This review is from: The $60,000 Dog: My Life With Animals (Kindle Edition)
I Could not get into the book... It appears to be not about a dog at all. Very difficult to read...

4.0 out of 5 stars Consider the lessons animals teach us, December 19, 2013
I really enjoyed this, but I have to caution people from being misled by the title. As intriguing as the title "The $60,000 Dog" sounds, Slater's writing is far from centered around dogs, or any sort of in-depth analysis of the cost of "pets" on our society. That kind of article would be better suited for an interest magazine piece or research paper assignment at your local university. And the subtitle "My Life with Animals," although broad, does not truly convey what the reader is picking up when they delve into Slater's pages.

Slater's work is a new kind of autobiography. The kind that manages to convey events both through a child's eyes and with adult meaning and sensitivity. If I had to describe the book in one word it would be just that: sensitive. Although others may find it neurotic, I believe that opinion would come from a reader who has not experienced depression that can take you down the rabbit hole of your own mind and leave you shaking in the darkness. Slater's writing is so nuanced you can taste smoke on your tongue and see the living AND dying cells within the network of your own skin, and yet she still manages to appreciate what she still does not know, and quite possibly, what she will never know. I applaud Slater for opening herself up in such a truthful way; admitting to her fears, questions, and acknowledging her pain.

So where are the animals? - you might be wondering. Animals are tools, teachers, and conduits through Slater's life, but I would not consider them the main focus of the book. At the center of everything is Slater (as we each are the principal of our own story). And her prose is filled with "quotable quotes" that question humanity's purpose and very existence.

I would recommend this book for those interested in exploring the philosophical side of life and considering how animals help us better understand ourselves and the world around us. Not everyone can appreciate the lessons animals provide to us, and not everyone respects the nature of Slater's musings. But for me, her style of writing, her sensitivity to her surroundings and other beings who occupy the same space, all were considerations I enjoyed hearing articulated.

Happy Reading!

3.0 out of 5 stars Animals, January 29, 2013
The $60,00 Dog: My Life with Animals
My husband bought this for me for my birthday because I am an animal lover. It took me awhile to get into the book, and it was nothing like what I had expected. It became more interesting about a third of the way through, and I continued. It was a little perplexing at times, but then, I am perhaps not looking for much depth when reading.

The $60,000 Dog: My Life With Animals