5.0 out of 5 stars Never to early to start building good habits...
Just like famous fables, children will learn subtle messages in these seven stories teaching good habits. A nice added benefit is the parent discussion at the end of each section which gives ideas on opening up conversations with children. On the same page are steps you can do to solve problems or promote the character trait in your child.

"I'm bored" which...
Published on September 18, 2008 by Tracy Foote

1.0 out of 5 stars Unable to see the small print on the Kindle edition
Pages were loaded landscape style with two pages side by side. It would not turn with the kindle or enlarge the print,even with tech support help. Finally had it removed. Looked like a great book but major problem with the format.
Published 9 months ago by Rebecca Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Never to early to start building good habits..., September 18, 2008
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Happy Kids (Hardcover)

"I'm bored" which translates to, "Mom, entertain me" is one of my favorite issues in this book. Children need to take charge and figure out on their own that they alone actually have the ability to solve the boredom problem. If they realize they can solve the boredom problem, this will be the first step to realizing they are the key to solving any problem in their life.

There are 6 other issues: having a plan, work comes before play, everyone can win, listen before speaking, together is better, and balance is best. These are easy to demonstrate to young children using examples in your own household. Extracurricular activities and play dates do not take place without a plan. We need to clean our room (work) before playing, and so forth.

While they are all important, it's a nice touch that each character trait has a separate story so parents could choose to repeatedly read the story with the behavior they would like to develop or improve. I would definitely recommend this book for young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!!!, October 27, 2008
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Happy Kids (Hardcover)

To my surprise, the stories themselves are actually decent. On their own, I'd give them 3 stars. To rate the potential this book has to teach, though, I'd give it 5 stars. Each habit has a story that illustrates ...more When I saw this book, I had to laugh.....another product trying to cash in on the success of the original (7 Habits of Highly Effective People). Except that I LOVE the original. So I bought it, expecting mediocre stories but an opportunity to discuss the 7 habits with my children.

To my surprise, the stories themselves are actually decent. On their own, I'd give them 3 stars. To rate the potential this book has to teach, though, I'd give it 5 stars. Each habit has a story that illustrates it, a little tidbit for parents to read, questions to discuss with your child, and several suggestions on how a CHILD can implement that habit. The suggestions are great; I wouldn't have thought of many of them on my own.

We've been focusing on a habit a week. We read the story Sunday, discuss it, talk about some of the suggestions my kids would like to try, and then work on it over the week. My husband and I try to make a big deal of it every time we see one of the kids coming through. I'm amazed! Already, my 8 and 5 year-olds are going out of their way to be proactive and plan things out and just plain take responsibility for themselves. Not only that, they liked the stories enough to sneak the book away and read all seven of them on the first day.

I think the original 7 Habits is right on the mark, so I'm thrilled to find an age appropriate way to share it with my children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, April 12, 2009
It's a great book.
I have three kids 6, 4 and 3 years old, I started reading/describing the characters and the whole place where each story happens...
They learned every character description and recognize each place of 7 oaks immediatly and love to show me where the stories are happening...
It's incredible how their little minds remember the habits already taught when they apply on their daily life. Every night they ask me to read it...
Excuse me for my " not so good" english... but spanish is my language.
I really recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves 10 Stars!!!, April 16, 2010
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Happy Kids (Hardcover)
This book will exceed your expectations! I bought it for my 6 year old, who was captivated at first by the inside covers, but it just kept getting better! This is one book you can accurately judge by its cover--it's sure to make everyone happy! After reading the first chapter at bedtime, my daughter was literally begging me to continue. Even *I* had a hard time putting it down, so we both eagerly agreed to read more the first thing in the morning, which we promptly did upon waking. This book is just as entertaining and valuable for parents as it is for their kids! We love reading this book as a family and my daughter loves discussing each story and the relevent lessons she can apply to her daily life. As parents, we get a wonderful opportunity to reinforce our messages to her in a positive, fun, receptive environment--which is when they stick better. I can truly say we are all benefitting from this book. This is easily our most prized book and the best investment in a "children's" book we have made. I am giving one to every child I know--it is a must for every library for anyone who wants the best for their kids in life and wants to empower their children! I highly recommend you approach this book as a family and learn the 7 habits of a happy family together!
What you'll find in this book:
- Captivating, energetic, fun, charming illustrations with vibrant colors.
- Each story is skillfully plotted with entertaining, smart, realistic and thoughtful story lines.
- Excellent discussion tips at the end of each chapter/habit to reinforce and prompt discussions.
- High quality paper and binding.
- Hours of quality time with your child and, if you read and APPLY the habits, too, and set the example, you will very likely receive a great return on your investment--productive, responsible, emotionally balanced kids.

I can't recommend it highly enough and would give it 10 stars if I could.
Obviously, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...Sean Covey has created and continued the exceptional legacy...

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all young children, September 23, 2008
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Happy Kids (Hardcover)
A beatifully written and illustrated book that while capturing a young child's attention will be quietly teaching time tested principles. Every parent, grandparent and elementary school classroom should have a copy. Learning the principles at an early age will lead to greater success later in life and this starts the teaching of the principles in the truly formative years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for parents and kids, April 8, 2009
MauryaL "mauryal" (West Palm Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Happy Kids (Hardcover)
If you are familiar with the 7 Habits type books, this one fits right in the family...if you are not familiar with them, this is an AWESOME book for great ideas in how to approach some of the challenges we parents have with kids.

This is a book to read to children, and is laid out in a story format and at the end of each chapter there is a "parent's corner" which then presents discussion points for parents to have with kids and ideas how to take each subject and make improvements.

I have recommended this to a number of my friends.

Additionally, it is written simply enough that my 7 year old can read it to herself and has taken it to show and tell to share with her friends...She loves how the stories are written and she totally gets 'the lesson' inside each chapter.

You will not be disappointed by this book.

Cheers, MR

5.0 out of 5 stars My oldest child loves this book, July 17, 2012
Kami W. Huyse (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Happy Kids (Hardcover)
I have three kids ages 8, 5 and 3. The oldest has read and re-read this book for over a year now and really does start to understand the principles. I just have to mention one of the characters and how they handled a situation to get him to apply it to his own situation. Some of the most "sticky" lessons have been the chapter on "win-win" and on "work first, play later."

I would (and have) recommend the book to anyone with kids in this age range. I look forward to reading it more to my 5-year-old this year. I don't think that it really works for kids that are younger, except as fun stories, which they are.

Also, my condolences to Sean on the passing of his father this week, what an amazing legacy he left.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helping Kids become Effective AND Happy, September 17, 2011
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Happy Kids (Hardcover)
I'm a parenting coach; I work with families who want to raise their children to have good values and to become happy, contributing members of society.

This book, at a very elementary level, demonstrates the usefulness of the same seven habits detailed in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

Think about helping your child become the best s/he can be! What a great aid in your parenting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves space in any parent's library, December 12, 2008
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Happy Kids (Hardcover)
In 7 Oaks all kids are friends and learning something new together. Here seven illustrated stories demonstrate how to keep the 7 Habits in mind through life's byways and possibilities, pairing amusing stories with values and principles based in the adult 7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE. Parents wishing to start their kids off early in the program will find this a most accessible, important approach that deserves space in any parent's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it., September 11, 2010
Jennifer (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits of Happy Kids (Hardcover)
After reading the 7 Habits for Teenagers, I'm teaching the habits in my 4th grade class. This kids' book is a great way to introduce the habits. Cute stories with strong messages. So far, my students are responding well. They relate to the characters and understand the value of the life skills. I highly recommend this book.

The 7 Habits of Happy Kids
The 7 Habits of Happy Kids by Sean Covey (Hardcover - September 16, 2008)
$19.99 $12.55