5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book
Published 18 months ago by Austin

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, it's a great diet that has changed my life, but...
Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, it's a great diet that has changed my life, but..., December 30, 2012
This review is from: The 8-Hour Diet: Watch the Pounds Disappear Without Watching What You Eat! (Hardcover)
First and foremost, intermittent fasting has changed my life for the better. I first learned about fasting through the website Leangains.com about 2 years ago, which led me to Brad Pilon's "Eat, Stop, Eat" program around the same period. Since then, I've lost at least 60lbs and have kept it off. I'm more active then ever thanks to intermittent fasting, calisthenics and Brazilian jiujitsu. If you're looking for a sustainable nutrition program that is painlessly easy and healthy, then intermittent fasting is exactly what you want.

Having said all that, "The 8 Hour Diet" was [allegedly] stolen from leangains.com, Martin Berkhan's website. He has been writing about the 16/8 fasting diet for years, which in turn has turned the bodybuilding world upside down. He has changed countless amounts of blog and forum members lives with his methods. It's a shame "The 8 Hour Diet" makes no mention of him or his website.

So, if you're interested in this book, check out Leangains.com for original (and FREE!) version of the diet.

My actual review of this book below.

The book is about abstaining from any calories for 16 hours then feeding for 8 hours every day. One thing I did not like was how the author routinely uses research from alternate day fasting (which requires fasting for 24-36 hours, every other day) in order to support the 16/8 diet. It's possible that 16 hours is not enough time for the body to receive the same benefits as going 24-36 hours every other day would.

Typical of Rodale Publishing, in my opinion, there are numerous grammatical and punctuation errors throughout the book. However, this does not take away from the reading experience; still a decent read (despite being [allegedly] stolen from Martin Berkhan).

In closing, if you're interested in learning more about intermittent fasting before buying this book, head over to the following websites for everything you would ever need to know. If after that time you still want this book, then go ahead and order it.

[...]
[...] (Eat, Stop, Eat)
[...] (free ebook)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, January 2, 2013
After seeing some of the strange negative reviews on here I had to add my 2 cents! This is a great program that works. If you commit you will lose weight and you will feel better. If you decide to go with this diet approach please know the first couple days are kind of tough but once you get over that hurdle this approach is actually very liberating (no more worrying about points, carbs, fats, calories, magical food combinations...etc etc etc). I took the time to give this a good review because the negative reviews all seem to be sketchy advertisements for similar diet approaches (notice they all suspiciously point to the same website). Don't let the negative "reviews" frighten you. This is a solid program that will work. Of course this concept is nothing new but when you think about it pretty much every "new" diet is a reincarnation of a diet that is already in existence. This book presents the concept of intermittent fasting in clear and concise way and does a great job backing up the concepts in this book with research.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Fit For Me, January 22, 2013
I have a general history of exercising and eating well. I have a great personal knowledge of fitness and nutrition. Since having kids and being a stay-at-home mom, I've had a hard time sticking with an exercise plan and healthy eating. I've found myself in the cycle of being stressed out and tired, so I sit around all day and eat and read when I have a minute to spare. This in turn makes me tired, sluggish, and more stressed out.

My personal diet history since having kids has been cutting calories and exercising more. Pretty standard. I have a problem sticking to a restricted calorie diet. I get hungry, dizzy, cranky and eventually just cave in and give up because I feel so guilty for my indulgences.

I have been a lifelong breakfast eater and would be the first one to preach the breakfast gospel. I have to say that through process of elimination, I had begun to cut back on my breakfast and delay it just because I found that no matter what, how much, or when I ate I would ultimately eat the same amount the remainder of the day. This was a logical way to cut calories. It never occurred to me to skip breakfast because we all know that it is WRONG.

This book is loaded with legitimate scientific and clinical studies. I thought I'd give it a try. The premise of the book is that you have 8 hours to eat "whatever you want" (provided you cover the 8 power foods), then fast for 16 hours. You should get 8 minutes a day of cardio before you eat. If you do this a minimum of 3 days a week, it is supposed to produce results.

I took the plunge. Skipping, or really DELAYING breakfast is much easier than I ever would have dreamed. I get up at 6, have 2 cups of coffee, and 2 glasses of water. After getting everyone ready for school and work, I squeeze out my 8 minutes of cardio. I eat breakfast at 11. I eat my last meal at 7.
I find that if you work in the power 8 and eat in the time confines, it really is easy. I focus on healthy foods and drink my 8 glasses of water a day. I find I don't have time to overeat, because I am pretty much always full from my meals. After 7, if I feel a craving, I have a cup of tea.

In full disclosure, I have been monitoring my calories (between 1200 and 1700) and cutting out all processed foods. I have been including raw foods, juicing, and smoothies. I eat meat, cookies and have an occasional drink-- I haven't been a COMPLETE martyr. :) I have been trying to do this 7 days a week. I haven't managed to get in more than a few very moderate workouts aside from my 8 min. of cardio. Once I found my groove (in the second week) I lost 4 lbs and 1% body fat. That was all in just one week. This is the best result I've had in a year with my other diet attempts. I feel FANTASTIC. I have great energy, I'm in a great mood, and I don't have cravings. I'm sticking with this. ABSOLUTELY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe it...but is working..., January 22, 2013
I have lost almost 10 pounds in two weeks, eating like an animal during the 8hr period that I chose for myself. I can't and will not say that this will work in everyone because I just don't know.

Some important points that you might like to consider:

1. I have followed the program every day, but I haven't done any of the 8min exercises that are supposed to help you go even faster.

2. I usually drink black coffee with just a little bit of sugar around 10:30am.... I chose the 12pm to 8pm eating schedule for myself.

3. I do martial arts two times a week, but I do this for 2 1/2 years now, and I never lost weight at this rate before.

I will follow up this review later if this program keeps shredding pounds or if I get stuck.

----Update-----April 2013-----

Weigh lost still occurring. It is now at its slowest rate per week, but it seems to be steady. Close to -22 pounds in total weigh since I started. Very recommended program based on my experience only. I still aim to do it every single day - this gives me space for failure, therefore I always end doing at least three or four days of the program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Follow Diet, May 17, 2013
This diet is easy to follow! Wanted to loose some weight, but never dieted before. Heard about eating a lot of little meals all day, tried that and gained weight! Browsing through book store and this caught my eye. I hadn't been doing any excercise and I knew I needed to start but felt overwhelmed at the idea, until I saw in this book suggest to exercise just 8 minutes before breakfast and I thought, "I can do that!" And I am. So yea for that. I didn't want to get into counting calories and special meals so this sounded worth trying. There's good tips about foods to increase metabolism that I didn't know. I still eat breakfast, but I exersice first. And now I just don't snack after dinner and am drinking a lot of water. Simple! Lost 3 lbs and just started it, so will see if it continues. (For critics who wrote bad reviews of this book - I don't really care who started the intermittent fasting idea! I'd never heard of it before and am just glad this guy put it in a book that caught my eye!)

UPDATE: It's been about four months now and I've lost 15 lbs. I'm happy with that as it's staying off and this diet is easy to follow. I've been following the 8 hour diet about 5 days a week, basically just not eating after diner and eating a very late breakfast and drinking a lot of water. I occassionally go on the excerise bike for 8 minutes before eating breakfast, but mainly I just do a little gardening. I am hoping to lose another 5 lbs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Giving it a chance, January 14, 2013
Blue Topaz (PA, United States) - See all my reviews
I started this on 12/28/12. I normally don't eat breakfast anyway and never liked the mainstream pushing it as a "have to" thing to be thinner. I have force-eaten breakfast and was hungier at lunch than by skipping it all together. I knew that didn't work and why the extra calories if I didn't need it? I am more of a back-end eater... I happen to feel more satisfied eating my 1st meal around 12:00 - 1:00 and having a early evening snack before I go to bed. This diet fits the bill. Most days my 8 hours are 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. I'm happily surprised having lost 1 lb in a week's time. Especially since I've been low carbing for 10 years now with no losses in the past 3 years, thanks to peri-meno hormones grandstanding my weight loss efforts.

I like the way the book was written and my personal opinion is he is being too optmistic about only "having" to do it 3 days a week. Maybe for some that is the case but for a seasoned dieter, I have my doubts. I upped the ante and do it every day with the "8 Power Foods" which can be done easily with normal staples at home. For the most part, it doesn't feel like a diet but more like eating balanced foods, a little treat here and there and in a time-frame that isn't all day long. During the fasting period, I have more energy and (time) since I'm not prepping food constantly.

What I do take exception is his comments about Atkins just having his followers eating just meat and cheese. That simply is not true. Even in Dr. Atkins strictist version (1st 1972 book), he wants you to eat 2 small salads daily during the 1 week induction. Then adding more and more veggies along the way as well as low glycemic fruits and nuts to find the right carb level for you.

Other than that misinformation, I"m giving this a chance and will update this review as time evolves. These detractors from leangains etc. are neglecting to note that this author has made the 8 Superpower Foods part of his signature and is not like exactly what the "others" have out there. There are different versions of Intermittant Fasting - let them all write a book!

Good luck to all those that are trying this plan!

Update 1-18-13: Ran this diet by my Primary Care Doctor today. He is applauding The 8 Hour Diet with the "8 Power Foods" INCLUDED. He said that's what you SHOULD be eating and it leaves little hungry and time for a lot of junk foods. If I ate just what I wanted to eat, I would not be noticing my tummy shrinking and losing a jean size in 2 weeks time. I have more energy in the morning these days as well to do the 8 minutes of exercise.

Update 2-19-13: I've been losing a lb a week which I very pleased with. Though he doesn't make you count calories or portions, I do anyway in a casual way - no computerized calorie counters just a guesstimate ballpark in my head. At my hormonal age, this is a must for me. People, give this a 1-2 mo go before you judge and move on to yet another diet. It takes time for a body to adjust.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is the Real Deal, January 3, 2013
I ordered this book about two weeks ago, but decided to wait until after the holidays to start the program due to parties, out-of-town guests, etc. Today marked exactly one week that I have been doing the plan and so far I have lost 7 pounds,I have much more energy, and those late night cravings have went away! I no longer have to obsess over calories, points, what to eat and what not to eat. This book does an awesome job of making weight loss simple. It is very well written and easy to follow. It's just like you're having a conversation with the author. I noticed that this book has been accused of stealing from a company called LeanGaines, but I didn't see it that way. The author made several mentions to the fact that intermmitent fasting is nothing new and has been around for a long time. At no time does he credit himself for this eating schedule. He states clearly that he heard about it and tried it and it worked so well for him that he wanted to share it with others. I feel the author's goal in this book was just to break it down and explain why it works and to give tips and advice on how to get started and maintain on the program. Just try it for a week and see for yourself, don't take anyone else's word. You won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a Diet for Life!, May 13, 2013
I first read the 8 hour diet in Men's Health Magazine then bought the book. In 4 months I have lost 40 pounds. I exercise and eat sensibly but nothing in the extreme. Weight loss has been steady. It is easy to adjust to fit my schedule. I believe at this point it is a way of life that I intend to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Journey with I.F., January 10, 2013
I have been on this plan a week. I purchased the book after starting the plan as I googled intermittent fasting and saw the Today Show plug. I am a woman who has lost and gained weight throughout my adult life (highest weight 370 and lowest around 200). After a week on this plan I am down 3 lbs. I have to say of ALL the other "diets" I have tried this truly seems to be the easiest to follow.

I actually physically feel better when I don't eat and when I finally break the fast I can feel the blood sugar levels rise. I am trying to include the 8 super foods each day as much as I can. What I like best is that I can truly eat what I want but after my first meal of oatmeal, greek yogurt and berries (or a breakfast sandwich, or lunch) I get and stay very full. I can see how you end up limiting your calories overall because by the time you eat you are just not that hungry. You eat maybe 4 meals rather than 6+ in the 8 hour period.

I am very excited as I can see this plan being something I can stick with for life. I can also see how once you achieve your goal you can maintain by practicing I.F. 3 - 5 days a week. For all those out there saying this information was stolen understand that the concept might have already existed but this book makes it simple for the non body builder and the regular person trying to find a plan they can stick with. I will come back and update with my progress. I hope this works for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Use some common sense while using this book, January 6, 2013
I follow the low carb/Primal form of dieting, and so I am familiar with the concept of intermittent fasting and Leangains.com. However I decided to go ahead and buy this book because it looked like a good read and truthfully I find leangains.com a strange website. For the past week I have taken my low carb/primal way of eating and followed the 8 hour (IF) window. I can honestly say I feel so much better giving my body the rest from food during those 16 hours. Could I get all of this information on my own without buying the book, of course. However, I think for the average reader out there, this book is very helpful in explaining the science behind IF. I have lost more weight this week following the 8 hour window, and I eat from 12 noon till 8pm. I don't think one can really eat "anything" they want and still lose lots of weight, but if one really thinks they can, then most likely they just won't gain more weight which of course is a good thing too. My recommendation is eat the superfoods that the author suggest, stay away from the junk at least most days, and you will lose and feel so much better giving your body those 16 hours to digest and rest. Happy reading!

The 8-Hour Diet: Watch the Pounds Disappear Without Watching What You Eat!
The 8-Hour Diet: Watch the Pounds Disappear Without Watching What You Eat! by David Zinczenko (Hardcover - December 24, 2012)
$26.99 $18.84