5.0 out of 5 stars "I LOVE IT When A Plan Comes Together!"
Published on June 21, 2010 by Amazon Customer

Published on December 18, 2010 by Wayne Klein

5.0 out of 5 stars "I LOVE IT When A Plan Comes Together!", June 21, 2010
This review is from: The A-Team (DVD)
The movie begins in Mexico, where Hannibal Smith (Liam Neeson taking the part of George Peppard) is about to get a bullet in the head for bribing (obviously) the wrong cop. B.A. Baracus (Quinton Jackson taking the part of Mr. T., complete with "PITY" and "FOOL" on his knuckles) is down the road a piece, fighting a bunch of dirtbags over his van. Face (Bradley Cooper, taking the place of Dirk Benedict) is still the ladies' man. As a matter of fact, he is wedged into several truck tires while some woman's husband is beating him in the face for boinking his wife. Hannibal and BA arrive just in time to save Face from becoming toast. Crazy-as-a-bed-bug Murdock is discovered in a hospital while they are getting BA stitched up. All 4 guys are former Rangers so they bond big time.

Murdock is still an unmatched pilot. BA still has to be medicated to fly. Hannibal still chomps a cigar. And Face is still Face. Right after they cross the border back into the USA, they get involved in trying to acquire some $100 counterfeit plates, being moved by Saddam loyalists from Bagdad, and, oh yeah, over $1 billion in cold phony bills.

Much of this 2010 movie is filmed in beautiful Vancouver, Canada. It's about 2 hours of action and comedy. Steven Cannell is involved in the production, as with the popular series from the "old" days. They kept the integrity of the oh-so-popular series with lots of action and lots of comedy. There are tons of neat stunts, although some may be pretty close to impossible. But what the heck--that's what makes a movie like this fun! We have chopper and airplane stunt flying, action on a container ship, and the strategizing of perfectly timed plans, among other adventures the boys have.

I absolutely loved the movie and will most definitely watch it again. FYI, I do NOT remember any "F" type language, which is rare today--just lots of action and blow-em-up stuff.

I LOVE IT when a movie comes together!

Immediately after the credits, you will see a short cameo appearance of the former Face, Dirk Benedict. (My son met him when he was about 3 years old and will always remember how nice Dirk was to him.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the movie before blu-ray release., August 11, 2010
This review is from: The A-Team (Blu-ray)
The A-Team is what movies used to be and should be now: fun. We used to herald the mindless summer blockbuster back when the explosions were fire and not CG, when Bruce Willis was all you needed to make a movie great, and an excellent plot was something you only expected to find in dramas filled with stuffy British accents. Yes, the majority of film has always sucked but we didn't care because we weren't paying $12.50 to see what's being shuffled down our throats today. As indie film has taken over the mutliplexs, the only escape we have to someplace fun is through stuff with Shia Lebouf in it. Disgrace, I tell you! But not all is lost. We have people like Joe Carnahan who still know how to make a night at the movies a blast.

Now, the critics panned this movie because it's short on plot and way too loud. Dude, it's based on The A-Team. The A-Team was a show about fast and violent missions with Mr. T preferring not to fly and Hannibal loving when a plan comes together. You didn't watch The A-Team for MASH, you watched it because it was cool. And that's exactly what this movie is. Cool. It's a thrill ride from the very beginning to the very end and not a lot of movies can deliver on that promise. Some twists are predictable and you're satisfied when you see it coming. Some are not and you're satisfied because you're surprised. I don't want to spoil anything about the story but the basic plot is all you really need. This movie is a video game in that you first get the reason to want to shoot things and then all you want to know next is where to get the ammo. It's loud and shaky, as is the trend with today's action movies, but not obnoxious like that other "we were framed and now we're super mad about it. As a team because camaraderie is important" movie, The Losers. Plus Sharlto Copley and Liam Neeson are fine, fine actors and you can't go wrong with 'em.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wild ride...., December 17, 2010
This review is from: The A-Team (Amazon Instant Video)
I was hesitant to watch this because I was afraid it was going to be campy....like a very sad "Dukes Of Hazard" movie tribute to the eighties series...well let me tell you I couldn't have been more wrong..."The A-Team" movie was nothing short of a wild ride with JATO rockets strapped on for good measure. Never a dull moment...and Jessica Biel well what can I say...shes the kind of woman that makes you stammer seeing a picture of her shes that hot...but I digress...If I were you, and I was, I would spend the 2 hours and 4 bucks, which I did, for a truly entertaining evening, and it was, with great acting off the charts completely ridiculous action sequences and a Plan that truly came together...

As a note...for a previous reviewer...don't be a schmuck and give a bad review to a movie because the service providing it failed...what are you 12...suck it up there Happy Feet....grab your sippy cup and get yourself a kool-aid refill you'll feel much better...and next time perhaps you could try customer support with the rest of the adults and not throw a tantrum cuz sissy took your rattle...

to everyone else sorry for the rant

I have never reviewed a movie before "The A-Team" but this movie was not only great it more then exceeded my expectations...motivating me to take the extra time to not only review the movie but also chastise a tool for misrepresenting it...

See the movie you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Movie review only, June 28, 2010
This review is from: The A-Team (DVD)
I was skeptical. I liked the original actors & had a hard time seeing anyone trying to fill these roles. Part way thru the movie, I kinda forgot about that.

This is essentially an origin story & beyond. I found it neat how they were able to update the series with a new story that was essentially a prequil. It simultaneously pokes fun at & sorta stays true to the original series. Great action, fun story, good humor. I left the theatre happy as the movie totally exceeded my expectations.

If you are a fan of the series with sketicism, I say leave that behind I go have fun with it. I'm sure non-fans can enjoy it also but I believe being a fan of the old material enhances the experiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overkill is so under rated! This is one fun movie! :), December 29, 2010
If ever I was wrong about a movie (So much for first impressions) it's The A team. Tops my list of surprise hits of the year. This was one fun movie to watch whether you remember the TV show or not. The casting was spot on. Liam Neeson made a perfect Hannibal Smith as were the other members of the team. It was nice to notice members of the TV show's production team were involved in the making of the movie. Here's hoping there will be a sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Awesome Action Film!!!, June 11, 2010
This review is from: The A-Team (DVD)
I have waited a long time for this movie, and it was well worth the wait, and highly lived up to my expectations. This movie is filled with action, suspense, explosions, and comedy! It is the perfect tribute to the original classic series. Everybody did an awesome job as each of the characters. (I especially loved Sharlto Copley's performance as Howling Mad Murdock, because he was always my favorite character!)

Eight years after Hannibal, B.A., Face, and Murdock all become an elite team and execute missions together, they are contacted by CIA Agent Lynch and tells them about the Iraqi insurgents that are in possession of counterfeit U.S. treasury plates used to manufacture currency. When Hannibal and the team steal the plates, they are set-up, and betrayed. They must come up with a plan, and prove their innocence before Colonel Lynch and Captain Sosa take them down. If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, I highly recommend that you hire THE A-TEAM!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, December 24, 2010
I watched the A-Team as a young lad and was afraid to see this movie because I loved the show so much. When the reviews came in I decided to take a chance and order the blu ray. The film was everything I wanted and more. It was the A-team. The characters were the same. Everything I wanted from this movie was there. If they ever plan to make a second I will be ordering my tickets and DVD months in advance. This film was perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I love it when a plan comes together!", April 5, 2011
This review is from: The A-Team (DVD)
I grew up watching "The A-team". And when I found out that Hollywood was going to make a movie, I started loading my guns. People were going to pay if they screwed this movie up after some of my other childhood favorites being destroyed. (tip of the hat to the person that mentioned "The Dukes of Hazard" because that movie made me want to punch kittens!)

Then I found out that Liam Neeson was taking on the role of Hannibal Smith. Having first seen Liam in such greats as "Krull", "Darkman", "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace", "Love Actually", and "Taken"... I figured how could they go wrong? And the cast of "The A-Team" did not disappoint!

Granted there are a great many "Easter Eggs" in this film, small editorial glitches that go generally unnoticed, it still delivers a powerful action packed kick to the daddy bags. The characters are believable with out being over the top, and every one did their homework on the original cast. A guest appearance from an original cast member from the television series in the extended cut is just the icing on the cake.

If you love action and comedy, and you love it even more when they are in the same movie, then this is a movie for you. I will admit that having a pause button on hand was almost a necessity because we were laughing so hard. I didn't realize how much I missed in theaters from all the laughing. "The A-Team" is a dynamic movie enjoyable by all!

5.0 out of 5 stars A-Team gets an A+, September 3, 2010
JoEllen Clayton (Heyburn, Idaho United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The A-Team (Blu-ray)
With all of the re-makes that have been made of older TV series, this is about as close as they have come to the real series. Great cast with a mixture of drama, comedy and adventure. If this was to become a TV series using this cast of main characters, I would enjoy it as much as I did the original.

3.0 out of 5 stars The "A" here truly stands for action-convoluted love letter to the original TV series is entertaining if messy, December 18, 2010
I pity the fool who expects the movie version of "The A-Team" to perfectly reflect the original TV series. A big, broad, messy love letter of a movie to the TV show "The A-Team" may be a narrative mess but it is entertaining and it's just like watching a tank crash...a car crash. Directed and co-written by Joe Carnahan ("Narc", "Smokin' Aces"), "The A-Team" works primarily because of the charm of the cast and the non-stop action.

When Hannibal Smith (Liam Neeson)and his group of U.S. Special Forces Airborne Rangers -"Face" (Bradley Cooper), "B.A." (Quinton Jackson) and Murdock (Sharlto Copley of "District 9")are framed for stealing conterfeit plates in Iraq all four are court martialed and thrown into prison. The four find an unlikely ally in a rogue CIA agent named Lynch (Patrick Wilson)who helps them break out of prison to locate the plates and the man who stole them--Pike (Brian Bloom). The A-Team has to stay ahead of Face's former girlfriend Lt. Sosa (Jessica Biel)who with her team are hot on the trial of the team but suspects that they are innocent. The team must figure out where Pike is and the plates in order to exonerate themselves. Watch for an entertaining cameo from Jon Ham ("Madmen") at the conclusion of the film and the marvelous character actor Henry Czerny ("Mission: Impossible") who needs to be utilized better by Hollywood as he's a terrific character actor.

The main flaw with the film is that the writers and director have to set up the entire premise AND break them out, resolve who framed them and keep it moving/entertaining the entire two hours. It's a daunting task and I'd never accuse someone of trying to stuff too much plot into a movie but with this much action it's very very difficult to try and set up action set pieces, develop characters and resolve a convoluted plot in one movie. If there had been a guarantee of a sequel they might have been able to carry their search for who set them up for other films and allowed a bit more breathing room for the plot.

The Blu-ray for "The A-Team" looks quite nice with a sharp looking transfer and plenty of extras that include "Inside the Action" The Devil is in The Details" a commentary featuring the director who discloses everything from the fact that the scene involving the military city was built in a bit where they were in the process of building a Walmart to the use of CGI to remove moths from a scene that were circling around the bright lights. Periodically the audio commentary becomes a PIP with the director appearing along with animatics and/or behind-the-scenes footage.

We also get a visual effects reel with before and after images and commentary. Deleted scenes are included as well as a gag reel for the film. There are some other featurettes that are included as well.

"The A-Team" is a big, messy, explosive and entertaining flick even if the narrative sometimes gets lost in all the action. The big pay off at the end of the film works quite well. Although "The A-Team" may not have done well at the box office due to negative reviews, the film is bound to do well on home video with enough curious fans renting or buying the flick. I doubt that we'll see a sequel but the film doesn't do harm to the original film (unlike, say, the film version of "The Wild Wild West" which was just a complete disaster). "The A-Team" is worth at least a rental.

The A-Team
The A-Team by Joe Carnahan (DVD - 2010)
$19.98 $11.26